Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Question concerning Bots in Aion.

METALDRAG0NMETALDRAG0N Member Posts: 1,680

Now we all know then the scurge of any decent western MMO, so my question is does anyone know what AION will be doing to discourage botting.

"Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god."
-- Jean Rostand

Comments

• shadowrunxtshadowrunxt Member UncommonPosts: 121

Originally posted by METALDRAG0N

Now we all know then the scurge of any decent western MMO, so my question is does anyone know what AION will be doing to discourage botting.

We'll for one monsters get stronger if you kill them overtime. So if you are hunting the same level xx monster, a stronger group of monsters will come out say level xx+10.

The example given by NCSoft in an interview is if you kill a baby monster overtime its mother will come out.  And the number of baby monsters will decrease.

Also i think the drops will decrease.

Anyway, even so if there bots that will work in the game, NCSoft will do something about it.

• SwanSongSwanSong Member UncommonPosts: 24

Apparently the AI will be quite advance, for example, monsters may ambush you. o.O

Many MMORPGs have promised advance AI but they've all failed. Perhaps NCSoft can pull it off in Aion.

As for botting, NCSoft are well aware of botting being a major issue in the community. Exact mechanisms on battling botting, whether they are through just gameplay or some advance uber technology, we don't know.

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198

Well i remember reading somewhere for crafting resources that some of them will be in the air for when you fly. On top of that flying will have a 1 minute? timer. So the bot program will have to be alittle different then run in set circles I'd imagine if they want to farm the good stuff. It has to take into account not only the X and Y axis, but the Z axis as well. Plus it has to use the flying command when near aerial resources. Although this may need a more complex botting program. So it might be tough to make a decent bot for this game, but that's just speculation.

• METALDRAG0NMETALDRAG0N Member Posts: 1,680

Im just praying this game wont get ruined by bots like some gsmes i could mention such as Final Fantasy.

That games economy got ruined completly, tho since the great bot purge of last year the economy there has recovered a little.

As for AION the devs here should go and see how EvE solved this potential problem as eve does have bot but they dont seem to affect the market anymore due to how the maarket works in EvE [partly because its completly player run and prices are set by players so players can ].

"Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god."
    -- Jean Rostand

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

I just hope they don't set things up like L2 was..where you have 900 bots selling stuff in town to the point where real players couldn't move from the lag, bleh.

D.

• sketchy_sketchy_ Member UncommonPosts: 137

Well I dont dont blame NcSoft at all for the bots on Lineage 2... its all the retards that buy adena from farming sites that ruins the economy and the game. Since when they buy adena from them they encourage the farmerfags to create more and more bots to get adena they can sell... and in the end NcSoft just cant keep up. Im sure they will do their best to keep those retards away from Aion.

"If I had a d*ck, I'd go get laid. But we can do that next best thing... Let's kill people."

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Well metaldragon, I hate to be the "mr negitive" but if this game, like any other, has any amount of success...its gonna have bots. Google any game title with the word "bot program" and wa la.......you can get yourself a bot.

Its pretty sad to be sure but to think that any game will somehow magically be able to fend them off is futile. There are only 2 solutions to the "bot" problem.

• no levels, no grind. The games will need to have a point besides making little numbers into big numbers. That will take some thought and imagination...2 qualities MMO designers are currently lacking. Bots are only capible of doing repetitive simple task. Eliminate that, and you eliminate bots.
    • players stop buying online gold so farmers stop writing the damn programs

Neither of these is gonna happen.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014

Originally posted by Torak

Well metaldragon, I hate to be the "mr negitive" but if this game, like any other, has any amount of success...its gonna have bots. Google any game title with the word "bot program" and wa la.......you can get yourself a bot.
    Its pretty sad to be sure but to think that any game will somehow magically be able to fend them off is futile. There are only 2 solutions to the "bot" problem.

no levels, no grind. The games will need to have a point besides making little numbers into big numbers. That will take some thought and imagination...2 qualities MMO designers are currently lacking. Bots are only capible of doing repetitive simple task. Eliminate that, and you eliminate bots.
    players stop buying online gold so farmers stop writing the damn programs

I agree though I will also add that players demand certain things and those "certain things" are going to breed farmers. Players want "player driven economies". Ok, well, anywhere you get players who don't want to spend the time working these economies you are going to get 3 party vendors who are more than willing to make money off them.

One easy way to curtail trading real money or items is to just do away with the ability to trade between players. However you then are going to hear the playerbase screaming at the top of their lungs.

Heck, look at Guild Wars. Money is not really a huge need in this game. However, what do you see but 3rd party companies selling Guild Wars money. Same with WoW.

Any game where you "earn" something is going to be a potential breeding ground for farmers. Now, sure, the game makers could make a game where there is no need of items nor levels. But would players actually play it?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • METALDRAG0NMETALDRAG0N Member Posts: 1,680

Originally posted by Torak

no levels, no grind. The games will need to have a point besides making little numbers into big numbers. That will take some thought and imagination...2 qualities MMO designers are currently lacking. Bots are only capible of doing repetitive simple task. Eliminate that, and you eliminate bots.
    players stop buying online gold so farmers stop writing the damn programs

I agree sadly with what you say here however it semms there is at least one Popular game out there that hadles the Bot plague quite well and i was wondering if NCSoft would take not of EvE's Methods?

For example one of the things EvE does is put all the good stuff that can be farmed into whats known as Low security space. Basically this means that Bots can farm the good stuff but.....Low security is basically Free for all PvP in the areas where you farm the sellable stuff so any player seeing the farmers would sort hem out. In the safer areas without free for all PvP the farmable stuff is crap and almost worthless. Also if the farmers want to farm well they need the better mining tools in eve and they cant get those with free trial accounts so they have to pay a subsciption in orde rto access the equiptment they need to mine [farm[ well.

-- Jean Rostand

• ConsequenceConsequence Member UncommonPosts: 358

Originally posted by shadowrunxt

Originally posted by METALDRAG0N

We'll for one monsters get stronger if you kill them overtime. So if you are hunting the same level xx monster, a stronger group of monsters will come out say level xx+10.

The example given by NCSoft in an interview is if you kill a baby monster overtime its mother will come out.  And the number of baby monsters will decrease.

Also i think the drops will decrease.

Anyway, even so if there bots that will work in the game, NCSoft will do something about it.

What in NCsofts history of MMorpg leads you to believe they will make any REAL effort to address Bots? I have to be honest I think thier games have historically been riddled the MOST by Bots with the least resisitance from the devs.

Lineage and L2 had the most visible and obvious Bot presences Ive ever seen.