Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

wow is in 19th place

Comments

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    Originally posted by Recant

The average PC gamer is around 27 years old with a large disposable income.  Do your research boy!

A'ia hydra A'ia Dagon Cthulhu Fh'tagn. I believe more those words then your source.

REALITY CHECK

• Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822

Originally posted by Thillian

Originally posted by Bama1267

Dont get off the subject. It isnt about the masses.......its about number of subscribers meaning nothing? Sims with 25 million copies means something as well. While I wouldnt play Sims, its stil a good game to a huge amount of people.

....that means something.
    No that means the concept of it appeals to mass market. Its easy, any computer can run it.. etc.  User rating and popularity has no connection to the quality or whatsoever, it only shows how much the game tries to appeal on average gamer. And let's be honest, average gamer at the moment is 14 years old kid with no imagination.

The average PC gamer is around 27 years old with a large disposable income.  Do your research boy!

Perhaps he polled himself and his friends 

jk thil , lol

• RecantRecant Member UncommonPosts: 1,586

Originally posted by Ranlawl

Douches Unite!!!!!!!!!! Defend WoW!!!!!!!!!! Exile the Non-Believers!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why don't you counter our arguments with logic and fact instead of changing the subject all the time, and then mocking us? 

Oh that's right, because you're wrong.

Still waiting for your Holy Grail MMORPG? Interesting...

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198

a while ago I remember seeing a report at the IGDA's website that the average gamer was in their mid 20's. I don't care to bring up the source so if you believe me that's fine, and if you don't well look it up or just leave it at that.

Why don't you counter our arguments with logic and fact instead of changing the subject all the time, and then mocking us? 

Yeh your counter with that average gamer's age was brilliant.

REALITY CHECK

• RanlawlRanlawl Member Posts: 126

These reports are statistics, and statitics are almost always wrong, because they are always of a smal  group of ppl that does not properly reflect the rest of the group, i know i for one was not part of this survey, and a doubt many of the people on this website were either. Also you dont know if it is for all games, MMO's, just Pokemon and Halo or what, so sadly statistics don't mean much.

• TakingthedayTakingtheday Member Posts: 80

Does it really matter? Lots of people like WoW, lots of people don't like WoW. Why can't the people who like WoW just go play the game, and the people who don't go play your game. And if you don't have a game and you're waiting for AoC or WAR, then do yourself a favor and go out. Go play outside, go sit outside and read a book, visit family or friends, go see a movie or out to eat. Stop trying to pick a fight because you don't like WoW. Congratuwelldone, you don't like a game that is your opinion. It doesn't make it right or wrong, it makes it your opinion. No point in arguing over it so much like this thread is. Just go do something constructive instead of sitting at a computer posting about how you like or dislike WoW.

• RavkeenRavkeen Member UncommonPosts: 310

Originally this site was to be named MMORPG-except-for-WoW-which-sucks.com but it didn't have the same ring to it.  So instead us WoW players are treated like second class citizens whist our ears are burned by pseudo-intellectuals that constantly bash the game, and call us kids, despite the fact the majority of us are actually older than they are, and don't have time for their hardcore kids games.
    Bah! I say to thee!  Let them wallow in their ignorance, whilst we bask in the near-utopian paradise and never-ending party of Azeroth.  For the Horde!  (Ok for the Alliance as well, if you must)
    TBH WoW is a beginner MMO, it brough a lot of new people to the genre because it is so easy to play and is appealing to a wider range of people than the more difficult MMO's.

This site is contains a more experienced playerbase that started playing MMO's long before WoW came out, to the rest of the MMO world, WoW is a joke and a breaze. If this was a site for newbies and kids, then WoW would be ranked higher.

WoW is great.................if your 12 or new to the genre

Ridiculous and utterly untrue.

1) Beginner MMO - false.

Do you know how many EQ players left for this game?  A great many, that's for sure.  A huge percentage of the most respected and famous guilds left, for World of Warcraft.  Some of the most dedicated and experienced gamers you will ever meet.   I can speak for myself too, my guild, left EQ entirely for this game.

Just because the MMO was a niche genre before WoW came along, which blew the entire thing into mainstream, does not mean that a huge portion of ex-MMOers did not play it.  You will also find that most of the EQ guilds that left for this game, are still there.

2)  Easier than other MMOs - false.

You're confusing accessibility, or diluting content with time, or gentle learning curve with ease.  WoW is no easier than other MMOs.  Hell, I've raided at the highest level of EQ, had my corp completely wiped out in EVE due to war, and they're still no harder than WoW.

Misconception number fracking one about WoW is that it's easy.  Mostly because people do not know what they're talking about when they say this.

3) Full of kids - false.

I don't know how many times I have to say this, but the low levels in any game tend to be filled with kids.  EQ2 and LOTRO are very appropriate examples of this.   If you're on a PvP server, sure, you might get some immaturity - but this is exactly the same as other MMOs. 

This is probably the second biggest misconception about WoW.

The fact is, WoW is just the popular kid that people love to hate.   Perhaps this mainstream appeal is too much for the hardcore nerd inside some of us, and you cannot accept the fact that your hobby isn't obscure and unfashionable anymore.

I bet you, that there are more experienced MMOers playing WoW (who played MMOs before it came out), then there are in any single other MMO.  Simple mathematics and common sense when you think about it, and don't hearken to the bitter jaded psychopaths that hate WoW with a burning passion.

Beginner MMO players Very True because the game is so easy my little 10 year old niece have a level 60 warlock.

Easier than any other MMO. True the game is so easy a 8 year old can play it. The game takes no skill to play not a inch. Come if a 10 year old can get a level 60 warlock on her on own something is very wrong.

Fully of kids So So Very True That is why tons of my friends left WOW because the kid pop. is so awful there they are everywhere.

Come on now this game was made for the beginner mmo players that why they got some many people new players playing it and so many of the old school gamers leaving it talking about its to boring or to easy cause the old mmo's gave you so much of a challenge to level and this game do not have that challenge. This game is just to easy and that’s why this game is on my top 10 list of the crappiest games ever the makers need to be shot list. Am I a WOW hater yes did I play WOW yes and I hate myself everyday for wasting that time of my life and my money.

Hi I'm Ravkeen! image

Emilia_Emi Lvl 56 Witch
    Now Playing : Black Desert Online
    "America is not at war, the US Military is at war, America is at the mall."

Google. 5 seconds.  You find the information you need.   Need I go further?  Do you want me to waste time with this, when you know I'm right.   The average age of a gamer is not 14,  stated without proof.  I countered, without proof - because it's common knowledge.

If you still think I'm wrong about the average age (it might even be higher),  then tell me, and I will prove it.

Argument successfully rebuked.  Next?

Beginner MMO players Very True because the game is so easy my little 10 year old niece have a level 60 warlock.

Easier than any other MMO. True the game is so easy a 8 year old can play it. The game takes no skill to play not a inch. Come if a 10 year old can get a level 60 warlock on her on own something is very wrong.
    Fully of kids So So Very True That is why tons of my friends left WOW because the kid pop. is so awful there they are everywhere.
    Come on now this game was made for the beginner mmo players that why they got some many people new players playing it and so many of the old school gamers leaving it talking about its to boring or to easy cause the old mmo's gave you so much of a challenge to level and this game do not have that challenge. This game is just to easy and that’s why this game is on my top 10 list of the crappiest games ever the makers need to be shot list. Am I a WOW hater yes did I play WOW yes and I hate myself everyday for wasting that time of my life and my money.

Your niece is probably way too young to be playing World of Warcraft.  The minimum age is 12 here, what's it over there?  And do you think your niece is indicative of the WoW population, and do you think that other MMOs do not have kids that age in them?

You're confusing difficulty, with accessibility. 

This game was made to appeal to a wide audience of gamers across different playstyles, including those who like to be challenge and be competitive.  How is the game any easier than EQ2?  There's no difference in skill, in fact I'd argue the end game instances in WoW are much harder than EQ2's.

You say hate yourself every day because of the time you wasted in it.  Are you sure you're in a position to comment on WoW objectively?

Google. 5 seconds.  You find the information you need.   Need I go further?  Do you want me to waste time with this, when you know I'm right.   The average age of a gamer is not 14,  stated without proof.  I countered, without proof - because it's common knowledge.

If you still think I'm wrong about the average age (it might even be higher),  then tell me, and I will prove it.

Did you ever take an Englsh class? you can't just google something and determine it credible, im sure i can google and find a site stating that there was no genocide in WW2, but that doesnt make it true 

If you're going to criticize my English at least type "English" correctly.

Edit:  And because you made the mistake of questioning the obvious:  www.theesa.com/facts/top_10_facts.php

3.  The average game player is 33 years old and has been playing games for 12 years.

That's even OLDER than I said.  Which completely, utterly, pulverizes the "average age is 14" remark out of the water.  But you know better than entertainment software association, don't you?  You know better than everyone, don't you?

Thank you, logic and reason wins again.  Next...

• TookyGTookyG Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,115

These ratings should be taken with a grain of salt.  You have alot upvoters that will vote 10 and downvoters that will vote 1.  I'm not saying that WoW should be higher or lower on the ratings just that "19th place" is quite subjective and, frankly, meaningless.

Until you cancel your subscription, you are only helping to continue the cycle of mediocrity.

Originally posted by Takingtheday

Does it really matter? Lots of people like WoW, lots of people don't like WoW. Why can't the people who like WoW just go play the game, and the people who don't go play your game. And if you don't have a game and you're waiting for AoC or WAR, then do yourself a favor and go out. Go play outside, go sit outside and read a book, visit family or friends, go see a movie or out to eat. Stop trying to pick a fight because you don't like WoW. Congratuwelldone, you don't like a game that is your opinion. It doesn't make it right or wrong, it makes it your opinion. No point in arguing over it so much like this thread is. Just go do something constructive instead of sitting at a computer posting about how you like or dislike WoW.

The point is that this site has a ranking system, and WoW is ranked below a LOT of MMOs.  It's not unreasonable for some of us, who have been playing MMOs for quite a while, to question this.  We are not saying that WoW should be number one, simply that the rankings are seriously flawed - given all the evidence about WoW: Popularity, critical opinion, it's impact on other MMOs, praise from other game manufactuers, still in the charts to this day, etc.. all can be argued individually, but together?  Even the most harshest critic of WoW, should see beyond their glee and realize that isn't right.

Did you ever take an Englsh class? you can't just google something and determine it credible, im sure i can google and find a site stating that there was no genocide in WW2, but that doesnt make it true 

If you're going to criticize my English at least type "English" correctly.

Edit:  And because you made the mistake of questioning the obvious:  www.theesa.com/facts/top_10_facts.php

3.  The average game player is 33 years old and has been playing games for 12 years.

That's even OLDER than I said.  Which completely, utterly, pulverizes the "average age is 14" remark out of the water.  But you know better than entertainment software association, don't you?  You know better than everyone, don't you?

Thank you, logic and reason wins again.  Next...

K you did not listen to what i said about statistics, and also just because i accidently leave out a vowel not make me as ignorant as you, you still know nothing about credibility and statistics/surveys, go back to school

That was one of many English mistakes you made.  You make far more than I do, and it was you that brought the subject up.  And you fail to realize that I was countering a statistic pulled out of someones arse, with a statistic taken from an organization makes it their business to know the average age of the gamer.  You'll find nowhere that backs up the age of 14 statistic, but a plethora of sites that say it's much older.  Look at these sites, they can't all be lying? 

Oh, but they're all wrong and this one guy on an Internet forum is right?  Doesn't sound like it might actually be true?  I know you don't want to believe it because it's coming from me, because I use reason, and you simply tell me to go back to school.

The proof was entirely relevant,  you claim I didn't listen, but you won't say how exactly.  You're just dodging the issues.

• PoweruserPoweruser Member Posts: 33

Most of  WoW players havent play any  quality game . Maybe coz they lacking skill , getting killed all the time , cant farm a mob , cant find decent armor.

Maybe They tried ... but they failed...

So ... WE telling to ALL WoW fans , to check out more games . WE have played em , and WE decide that WoW isnt worthing.

Why WoW Isnt worthing ( FOR US ) :

WE need something more than endgame gear grinding .

WE need to lose experience , when you die .

WE tried to find a way to show our skill in battle.  But WoW is nothing more than "i pwn coz i got 10 meter sword". WE failed.

WE need to fight for a reason . Not WHO is going to capture MORE FLAGS!

WE need unique classes per realm . But Blizard is afraid if realms are unbalanced.

WE need better Character Development. Most of players of the same class , are SAME , with only difference their equipment and talent tree .

WE need something more than 1 button spam fights.

WE need many many more .........

Some ppls just dont wanna see the truth .

If some ppls wanna stay blind , i dont care . QQ .

No offense, but you're only 18 years old.  Most of us have been playing MMOs before you were even past puberty.  And while I don't discount your opinion on your age alone, the quality of your post indicates you aren't mature enough to form an objective or remotely qualified opinion.

"Most of  WoW players havent play any quality game .", pretty much invalidates anything further you have to say.

• Cabe2323Cabe2323 Member Posts: 2,939

I would have to agree in a way with what quite a few of the "trolls" are saying.  WoW for all of my gaming friends and I has become a stop gap before WAR.  Some couldn't even wait for WAR and jumped ship to LOTRO.  I don't really know of anyone who isn't a huge loot whore that still actually enjoys the game.  Mostly I get the "well it is the best game out right now" or the "well until something else comes I will just stick with my WoW guy".  More and more I see disillusioned players who are becoming extremely bored with the game.  And I am not just talking about this forum.  Past guilds I have been in, rl friends that used to play, and even strangers I hear talking at work or the mall seem to be talking about WoW with a lot less zeal. 

I would even venture to guess that WAR and AoC are really releasing at the best possible time, especially with no talk of an expansion coming out before their release.  They have a distinct possibility to take a ton of subscribers from the NA/EU market, now holding them will be a different story. 

Currently playing:
    LOTRO & WoW (not much WoW though because Mines of Moria rocks!!!!)

Looking Foward too:
    Bioware games (Dragon Age & Star Wars The Old Republic)

No offense, but you're only 18 years old.  Most of us have been playing MMOs before you were even past puberty.  And while I don't discount your opinion on your age alone, the quality of your post indicates you aren't mature enough to form an objective or remotely qualified opinion.
    "Most of  WoW players havent play any quality game .", pretty much invalidates anything further you have to say.

Well i am not 18 , whatever that crap site says . But...

You trying to ignore what i just said . You make age the weapon to fight others opinion.

I dont really care who is playing more years . Also i dont wanna know who has played more games .

I just said something , and at least u have to respect my opinion .  But it seems you havent to say something for my thoughts . QQ then.

• WarblazeWarblaze Member UncommonPosts: 178

Originally posted by Poweruser

So ... WE telling to ALL WoW fans , to check out more games . WE have played em , and WE decide that WoW isnt worthing.

Why WoW Isnt worthing ( FOR US ) :

WE need something more than endgame gear grinding .
    WE need to lose experience , when you die .
    WE tried to find a way to show our skill in battle.  But WoW is nothing more than "i pwn coz i got 10 meter sword". WE failed.
    WE need to fight for a reason . Not WHO is going to capture MORE FLAGS!
    WE need unique classes per realm . But Blizard is afraid if realms are unbalanced.
    WE need better Character Development. Most of players of the same class , are SAME , with only difference their equipment and talent tree .
    WE need something more than 1 button spam fights.
    WE need many many more .........

Some ppls just dont wanna see the truth .

My god... just when i thought the limit of arrogance was reached i got proven wrong. Who are you to decide for everybody else that a certain game is good or bad? 

It's all trough the eye of the beholder!

So don't try to pass on your individual judgement onto others, it wont work.

That "we" thingy at the beginning of every sentence, change it into "I" and read your own text again...

Ok i spent some time checking statistics about average gamers info. Ill bring the facts:

Several surveys say the average gamer's age is 25-32 (which is the average of middle 60%, upper 20% and lower 20% not counted).

This number is coming from the register cards mostly inserted in varius games by publishers. The number actually shows the age of people spending money on games -> buying games not really playing. So if a mother buys a computer game for her child, it counts her age instead of childs. Thats what the survey shows.

There is no relevant survery that would say whats the average age of a player.

REALITY CHECK

And if you give me another 5 minutes, I will google you out proofs that Cthulhu lives in his great city of R'lyeh waiting to be awaken.

REALITY CHECK

You trying to ignore what i just said . You make age the weapon to fight others opinion.

I dont really care who is playing more years . Also i dont wanna know who has played more games .

I just said something , and at least u have to respect my opinion .  But it seems you havent to say something for my thoughts . QQ then.

The age in your profile said 18.  You should know that I don't dodge arguments, but you made yours pretty painful to rebuke - they were vitriolic and poorly formed.  I didn't address your arguments specifically (I will now, because your 2nd post was nicer) and because I've already argued against them (repeating myself is tedious).

You are are the one making unfounded statements and then asking us to counter them with proof.  I'm going to be more lenient on you because you seem like a nice guy despite all the stuff you said about WoW players being crap gamers.

Why you give some evidence that WoW players haven't played other games?  How do you know they don't?  It's not just about an opinion, when you say that millions of players can't handle the less popular games, that's quite a bold statement.

Consider this;  the main argument players have when saying WoW is easy, is the death penalty doesn't make you lose exp (you lose gold instead).  This is just a factor of time, just because it doesn't take as long to level because you die alot, it doesn't make the game less difficult to play well, it just takes less time.

See what  I mean?

My god... just when i thought the limit of arrogance was reached i got proved wrong. Who are you to decide for everybody else that a certain game is good or bad? 
    It's all trough the eye of the beholder!
    So don't try to pass on your individual judgement onto others, it wont work.
    That "we" thingy at the beginning of every sentence, change it into "I" and read your own text again...

I am not working to any gaming company , i dont wanna make ppls follow me.

Would be nice though if they open their eyes.

No the "WE" thingy is for some millions gamers , who not following the maze , ty .

• Cabe2323Cabe2323 Member Posts: 2,939

The age in your profile said 18.  You should know that I don't dodge arguments, but you made yours pretty painful to rebuke - they were vitriolic and poorly formed.  I didn't address your arguments specifically (I will now, because your 2nd post was nicer) and because I've already argued against them (repeating myself is tedious),

You are are the one making unfounded statements and then asking us to counter them with proof.

I'm going to be more lenient on you because you seem like a nice guy despite all the stuff you said about WoW players being crap gamers.

Why you give some evidence that WoW players haven't played other games?  How do you know they don't?  It's not just about an opinion, when you say that millions of players can't handle terrible games, you're saying they can't handle the other games.

Consider this;  the main argument players have when saying WoW is easy, is the death penalty doesn't make you lose exp (you lose gold instead).  This is just a factor of time, just because it doesn't take as long to level because you die alot, it doesn't make the game less difficult to play well, it just takes less time.

See what  I mean?

I think what a lot of players equate to easy is the fact that for the vast majority of players (read over 95%) the game is easy.  The game is only actually hard for the guilds that are on the edge of new content.  The one's actually figuring out the encounters and getting world firsts.  After that it is only hard for the Raid leaders who have to get their raids to listen and follow directions.  For the average player though the game is extremely easy.  Personally I would rate it as one of the easiest games I have played.  (and yes i have raided although I did quit before TBC came out, but from all of my friends I have spoken with it actually got easier and not harder to raid with TBC). 

Once again though I will say it for the less then 5% of the population who is on the bleeding edge of content, or that refuses to use any types of guides and are leading raids,  the game isn't super easy.  But that just isn't most of the players. 

Currently playing:
    LOTRO & WoW (not much WoW though because Mines of Moria rocks!!!!)

Looking Foward too:
    Bioware games (Dragon Age & Star Wars The Old Republic)

Why you give some evidence that WoW players haven't played other games?  How do you know they don't?  It's not just about an opinion, when you say that millions of players can't handle terrible games, you're saying they can't handle the other games.

Simple math lad. Check this table (taken from mmogchart.com

2004 -January number of subscribers

EQ2 - (Coming on Jule - 300.000 subs)

EQ1 - 450.000

CoX - 150.000

Final Fantasy 550.000

Star Wars Galaxies 300.000

Lineage 1 - 2.000.000

Linage 2 - 900.000

Asheron;s call 1 - 50.000

Now compare it with middle of year 2005: after wow came on market

EQ2 - 225.000 (-75.000)

EQ1 - 380.000 (-70.000)

CoX - 180.000 (+30.000)

Final Fantasy - 620.000 (+70.000)

Lineage 2 - 2.100.000 (+1.200.000)

Lineage 1 - 1.800.000 (-200.000)

Star Wars Galaxies 250.000 (-50.000)

Asheron's call 1 - 50.000 (0)

If you don't realize what does this means you should go back to high school. This shows that the number of players that left older games for wow is minimal (if we dont count lineage which mostly has asian players), and that majority of the people playing WOW are first-timers, basically mmorpg-newbies.

REALITY CHECK