Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how is FFXI now?

bigdjrbigdjr Member Posts: 40

Is the economy still bad? Like whats the highest price on  an item and are there still people playing because im thinking of getting back in with my 40 drk because DRK's beat the poo out of ppl. Im on leviathin btw.

Comments

• JWag1987JWag1987 Member Posts: 15

I think it depends on the time of day, the server, and so forth.  With SE constantly fighting RMT and such, prices are fairly balanced, but that would be up to you to decide.  Good luck.

• bigdjrbigdjr Member Posts: 40

Is it better then what it used to be? Like did prices drop? I remember the earings with 25 - hp 25+mp was like 800k or something like that. You know if prices have dropped?

• JWag1987JWag1987 Member Posts: 15

I'm waiting to reactive my account again to check, but they should have dropped.  Might still be 1/2 of that, but it shouldn't be 800k now...  Again, I don't have numbers, cause I waiting for some cash to reactive.  However, I think I know what ya talking about, and I don't remember seeing em at 800k, so they should have dropped.

• ChrisMatternChrisMattern Member Posts: 1,478

Originally posted by bigdjr
    Is it better then what it used to be? Like did prices drop? I remember the earings with 25 - hp 25+mp was like 800k or something like that. You know if prices have dropped?

"Better"? Depends on what you mean by that term. Apparently you mean "lower", and yes, they are. The mass RMT bannings and confiscations has removed massive amounts of gil from the economy. Prices are about 1/5 what they were.

Presumably the item you mean are Astral Rings (not earrings). They are currently selling on Remora for a little over 200k. This doesn't mean they're easier to get; the stuff you'd be selling to get the Astral has suffered a similar drop in price.

• SuplyndmndSuplyndmnd Member Posts: 553

www.ffxiah.com

You can check prices on every server there (It goes by the Jeuno/Whitegate Auction House).  Prices have dropped like crazy and some stuff is about 1/10th the price.  Hell, even from week to week they drop a lot.  I started saving up for a Jujitsu Gi that was 200k, then 4 days later it was 150, then I bought it at 130 the next day and 3 days later it was 90k.  In just over a week it went from 200k to 90k and it was (from what I heard) about 800k back in the day.

And yes, like previously mentioned, most everything else has taken this price drop as well so it's still about as hard to get stuff but there are a few things that have taken a far less % hit in price drop.  The basics like beehive chips, Moat carp, etc have not been as affected as demand for these remain constantly high.

EVE - Sharvala
    FFXI - Shazamalicious
    Guild Wars - Xavier Lucifer & Charlize the Necro
    "Ranged...stuck...tree...15 random words... suck... noob fanboy... I MAKE GUIDE!"

• KrymsonSykkeKrymsonSykke Member Posts: 45

That is because FFXI banned about 7000 or more accounts for cheating or using bot programs to get things they needed.  So that is why prices have droped...

i guess ill come back but what sucks now is my ls disbanded and no one on that ls is playing because they hated the stupid rmt's but im sure ill find one.

Don't worry I am looking for a ls to play on as well, I am new to the game....

Originally posted by KrymsonSykke

Don't worry I am looking for a ls to play on as well, I am new to the game....
    i hate ls's that are too big i like them a moderate size where everyone sort of knows each other.  Instead of big ones where you pretty much are annomyous and not many people will help you. Thats why i loved my ls they were doing so many events helped with farming and everything.
  • GunscarGunscar Member Posts: 20

I don't recomned that you go out and spend your money on this game when you can play a game very simmilar for free "slikroad" i mention this game alot in my posts because i just resently found out that my friend can acctuallly play this game on dial up but he sais it's a little laggy but he dosn't mind hes getting dsl soon but back to the point my cousin said that this game was definently not worth the money if you can play silkroad and he even said that silk road has better graphics but i'm not sure if he knows games alot because he liked tourok evolution and i hated it but i am NOT getting this game while it has a monthly fee.

I know how you feel with big ls, as I like small to moderate ls....If anyone knows a good ls please let me know....

• MentatMentat Member UncommonPosts: 516

I bought this game for the xbox 360 - when I went to the gameshop to purchase it - the 2 salesfolks were like "omg, get ready for the ride of your life!" - the sales chick was pretty smokin too. So, I'm like "wow, an mmorpg with smokin' nerd chicks - I think I've found my game". That's the 2nd smokin nerd type chick that I've heard rave about this game so I was convinced. I tell one o' my gamer buddies that I'm buying the game so he goes out and gets it too. And we're off!! I pick the lil acorn headed dude because it's the best with magic - ok... my friend is already making mega fun of the acorn head as am I. It's silly looking - not cool looking in any way what-so-ever. He picks a human. The adventure begins...

We finally figure out how to get some quests after about an hour of running around the newb city - the quest is like, go explore this area. So, we go outside - there's some lvl 1 stuff out so we go to kill it! Oh yea - it's slow.... 3 hours later we finally find the place (we're both like level 3 by this point, oh yea!). We die repeatedly as the level 3 mobs are pretty tough.

Some friends come over and see us playing this ... game ... They laugh for a minute but, as they sit and watch, everyone starts to realize how incredibly not fun this game is - how horribly slow this game is, what an insane nightmare this game is... OMG I realize that everytime we die WE LOOSE EXPERIENCE at LEVEL 3!!!!!

I feel by purchasing this game and giving it a whole day of my life and my friends life I have earned the right to come here and say that this game SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's the opinion of 4 people and an incredible understatement.

I apologize and thank you for letting me vent - I still have the client because once you buy it - you own it - I want to throw it away but, as I paid my 20 bucks for it - I don't wanna -

OH YEA !! forgot to mention that it takes HOURS to install on your xbox360 and takes up MOST of the hard drive.

no, this so called game is not worth it, not at all, not any. As a long time mmorpg'r at this time I still have to say WoW is the biggest bestest one out there.

Hot chicks with no life - you suckered me on this one  

Play something new - not something extremely old.

My opinion is that WOW sucks cuz it looks like to much of a cartoon and this game which yes in the beginning is slow but you need to play it more than one day...I do understand that it takes a long time to install on the 360 cuz I have it for the 360...But again this is a personal opinion...

• dterrydterry Member Posts: 449

Ok Mentat, first off you do not lose experience at level 3. You don't start losing experience for death until around level 10 or 15. Maybe someone can give the correct level, it's been awhile since I played. Next... what the hell did you do to get yourself killed at level 3? I mean seriously, a drunken chimpanzee could pound the keyboard in the midst of an epileptic seizure and not die at level 3. Moreover, judging from the childish tone of your anit-FFXI rant, I am sure the people still playing the game are happy you moved onto something else.

-As for the OP's original question... My advice is simple, try the game. If you don't like it move on. I don't remember if FFXI ever does trial memberships, but if they do, then go that route. Otherwise see if you can find a friend who plays and get on their machine and try it out. For me the game was highly addictive until I reached the level caps around 50 and found out just how much high-level assistance I was going to need to progress in the game. If not for that, my level 45 Galka, Palain/Warrior would still be playing. But if you can find a good Linkshell (guild) -which I never seemd to-then even the level caps shouldn't be a deterrent to trying the game. As for the state of the game today, I tried it again a few months back and there were still plenty of people on my old server (Kujata), so the game isn't dead. My suggestion is for you to try it, it's alot of fun.

I agree with dterry, which has a good point and yes there are plenty of players on FFXI, as well with the new expansion coming out this winter there might be a even bigger blow out with the game...

• RproRpro Member Posts: 89

You actually start loosing experince when you die at level4.

Am I the only person who actually LIKES that fact? Losing experience when you die? It keeps you sweating during those tense momments cause you cant just 'run back to you're corpe'.  You actually have something to lose if you die.

• ASmith84ASmith84 Member Posts: 979

this game sucks the life right out of you. dont play it.

Rpro that is something that is good cuz it lets you know that you need to work on your character more to be able to advance, and you are correct on losing exp when you die...Now to the others this game doesn't suck the fact is if the game sucked then why is it still up and running after 5 years with plenty of players and a new expansion coming soon...I just don't get people now-a-days...

• HexxeityHexxeity Member Posts: 848

If fast leveling is the bestest thing in the world to you, you will not like this game.

If you don't see the point of having penalties for death, you will not like this game.

If you think you should be able to win every fight, you will not like this game.

If you care more about pwning in PvP than exploring and experiencing game lore, you will not like this game.

If you think you are entitled to l33t gear without a lot of effort, you will not like this game.

If you can't stand the idea of grouping with other players, you will not like this game.

On the other hand, you might just enjoy FFXI if:

• you enjoy a challenge
    • you like to be immersed in game lore
    • you can enjoy playing at your current level rather than always looking toward the next level
    • you play well with others and feel satisfaction from good teamwork
    • you don't mind not owning every pretty piece of equipment you see

Basically, if you have ever thought that Guild Wars or WoW was the best MMOG in the world, you will not like FFXI.

(Nothing against GW or WoW -- I enjoyed each for a while, but I never thought either was the absolute best.)

• ArchendrusXArchendrusX Member UncommonPosts: 46

Originally posted by Hexxeity

If fast leveling is the bestest thing in the world to you, you will not like this game.
    If you don't see the point of having penalties for death, you will not like this game.
    If you think you should be able to win every fight, you will not like this game.
    If you care more about pwning in PvP than exploring and experiencing game lore, you will not like this game.
    If you think you are entitled to l33t gear without a lot of effort, you will not like this game.
    If you can't stand the idea of grouping with other players, you will not like this game.

you enjoy a challenge
    you like to be immersed in game lore
    you can enjoy playing at your current level rather than always looking toward the next level
    you play well with others and feel satisfaction from good teamwork
    you don't mind not owning every pretty piece of equipment you see

Basically, if you have ever thought that Guild Wars or WoW was the best MMOG in the world, you will not like FFXI.
    (Nothing against GW or WoW -- I enjoyed each for a while, but I never thought either was the absolute best.)

You've hit it Hexx.  That's exactly why I like FFXI and exactly why most other MMO's could not hold my attention.  The way the game is designed is kind of exclusive in the sense that if people stick with the game they must've been looking for the exact same thing.  As opposed to a game like MxO where there is constant clash between RP'ers and PVP'ers for example.

• SuplyndmndSuplyndmnd Member Posts: 553

Originally posted by Hexxeity

you enjoy a challenge
    you like to be immersed in game lore
    you can enjoy playing at your current level rather than always looking toward the next level
    you play well with others and feel satisfaction from good teamwork
    you don't mind not owning every pretty piece of equipment you see

Everything above where you mention GW and WOW is incredibly accurate.  But I played GW for well over a year, thought it was a great game and still think it's one of the best MMORPG's to ever come out.  GW is good for instant action, solo play, hacking and slashing stuff and for leet gear with little work.  That doesn't make it bad.  I liked it for those reasons.  However, i play FFXI because it's not instant action, you cant solo experience effectively, it's not just a hack and slash, and because leet gear means you busted your ass for it.

I ask that maybe next time you add some disclaimers as there are fans of both.  Variety is the spice of life you know :)

EVE - Sharvala
    FFXI - Shazamalicious
    Guild Wars - Xavier Lucifer & Charlize the Necro
    "Ranged...stuck...tree...15 random words... suck... noob fanboy... I MAKE GUIDE!"

• AlmaxAlmax Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by Mentat

I bought this game for the xbox 360 - when I went to the gameshop to purchase it - the 2 salesfolks were like "omg, get ready for the ride of your life!" - the sales chick was pretty smokin too. So, I'm like "wow, an mmorpg with smokin' nerd chicks - I think I've found my game". That's the 2nd smokin nerd type chick that I've heard rave about this game so I was convinced. I tell one o' my gamer buddies that I'm buying the game so he goes out and gets it too. And we're off!! I pick the lil acorn headed dude because it's the best with magic - ok... my friend is already making mega fun of the acorn head as am I. It's silly looking - not cool looking in any way what-so-ever. He picks a human. The adventure begins...
    We finally figure out how to get some quests after about an hour of running around the newb city - the quest is like, go explore this area. So, we go outside - there's some lvl 1 stuff out so we go to kill it! Oh yea - it's slow.... 3 hours later we finally find the place (we're both like level 3 by this point, oh yea!). We die repeatedly as the level 3 mobs are pretty tough.
    Some friends come over and see us playing this ... game ... They laugh for a minute but, as they sit and watch, everyone starts to realize how incredibly not fun this game is - how horribly slow this game is, what an insane nightmare this game is... OMG I realize that everytime we die WE LOOSE EXPERIENCE at LEVEL 3!!!!!
    I feel by purchasing this game and giving it a whole day of my life and my friends life I have earned the right to come here and say that this game SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That's the opinion of 4 people and an incredible understatement.
    I apologize and thank you for letting me vent - I still have the client because once you buy it - you own it - I want to throw it away but, as I paid my 20 bucks for it - I don't wanna -

OH YEA !! forgot to mention that it takes HOURS to install on your xbox360 and takes up MOST of the hard drive.
    no, this so called game is not worth it, not at all, not any. As a long time mmorpg'r at this time I still have to say WoW is the biggest bestest one out there.
    Hot chicks with no life - you suckered me on this one  
    Play something new - not something extremely old.

Im a big FF fan. That being said, it doesnt matter if im a Fan of FF or Fan of MMORPG, that doesnt entitle me to buy this game.

I 've played GW, WOW and some free MMorgps. This game doesnt really catch my eyes. The characters look weird and ugly except for the human :)  I hope they decide to make another FF Online game with all-new features!

Anyway to the Quote, I though that this was the best ANTI-FFXI message i've read so far. Cheers m8