Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Character Defeats Old

imasigimasig Member Posts: 149

I recently joined a corp of less experienced players to help them out and give me a fresh start for playing this game like a newer player again.

All of my corp mates have less than 2 months experience playing.  I logged on last night to learn that I had missed a battle with an old and well established PK that has been playing for one year.  I was expecting bad news but to my surprise my group of youngsters came out on top.

We had 1 blackbird running defense in a .3 system during a mining op.  In warps PK with his Raven.  Our blackbird was equipped to jam Caldari ships (since they are the ship of choice for PKs.).  We immediately jam him rendering his Raven useless except for drones and smart bombs.  One by one we start popping his drones.  Then fire is focused upon the Raven.  With no warp scrambler on our ships he warped to the a stargate.  His sec rating was low enough to where he was open for attack.  The blackbird follows to the gate...he re-jams him.  The PK makes it to the gate...jumps...but unknowlingly into a system that was recently changed from .4 to .5.  Concord has him for lunch.  image

Ok, so it's not the same as blowing up the BS yourself but the point is a player with less than two months experience in a much less powerful ship was able to bring a year old character down to his knees and cause him to flee.  One of the complaints about EVE is the inability to catch up with older players.  With proper planning you don't need to as this story proves.  PKs go into battle with the assumption that everyone is going to run from them.  Stay around and fight and you might find they're not so tough afterall.

Comments

• ArleonenisArleonenis Member Posts: 69

raven with smartbombs::::12::
    i know that peoples do very stupid things but this is really on top of all, raven with 6 fof cruise missles in one salvo could change black bird to dust in no time, so important thing to have in this game is "brain", even player that play a game for a year could lack in this::::02::

• MalkavianMalkavian Member UncommonPosts: 2,995

I have to agree here. Any experienced pilot in a battleship rigged for combat , should always have FOF Missles for those perticular reasons.

- Malkavian image

"When you find youself sinking into Madness, dive" - Malkavian Proverb

- MMORPG.COM Staff -
    Forum Stalker
    [email protected]

"When you find yourself sinking into Madness, dive"

• ArleonenisArleonenis Member Posts: 69

especialy on RAVEN malk::::01::

• runemasterrunemaster Member UncommonPosts: 10

Originally posted by imasig

Ok, so it's not the same as blowing up the BS yourself but the point is a player with less than two months experience in a much less powerful ship was able to bring a year old character down to his knees and cause him to flee.  One of the complaints about EVE is the inability to catch up with older players.  With proper planning you don't need to as this story proves.  PKs go into battle with the assumption that everyone is going to run from them.  Stay around and fight and you might find they're not so tough afterall.

I'm glad you guys came out on top. But you'll never be able to catch up to those actually WORTH catching up to.

• TimeKeeprTimeKeepr Member Posts: 2

Thats really awesome, good job. it just goes to show that new players arent hopelessly far behind players that have trained their skills for a year. the beauty of the skill system is that the level 5 skills take a very long time to finish. as a result, new players can fairly quickly train skills up to lvl 4 and be within a short margin to the skills of a veteran. besides that, some of those veteran players have slacked off on the skill training, and gotten behind. i know a few people in my current corp who have been in the game since june '03, yet they only have around 5, 6mil skill points, while i have ~14mil due to steady training over the year.

• TaranliTaranli Member Posts: 1

I've been playing for more than a year now as well. My combat character has only a little more than 3 million skill points (about 3 months of training) and yet I can compete with hardcore combat characters. Every ship has a weakness, and you just have to find a way to exploit it.

Its also a very good point about the level 5 skills taking so long. a new character can train levels 1 through 4 in half the time as an experienced player can train a level 4 to 5. thats 3 times the bonus for half the time.

Fighting is mostly bluff anyways. The experienced players are able to intimidate the new players, and scare them into panicing or running. But if you stand up in a fight, and have a good configuration and a comparable ship, then you can win.

• txag98txag98 Member Posts: 2

Aye, and just because a year+ old character has that 13-15M skillpoints doesn't mean they've got it all in gunnery... Attributes also affect how fast one can train various skills too. 

A pretty new char can quite easily become useful to a fleet for larger battles.  There isn't really any particular uber setup... all ships and setups have some kind of weakness.  Gotta be creative and look for the right role.  For instance, a 3 week old character in a blackbird with a bunch of sensor dampers hiding among a bunch of battleships in a big fight could significantly affect the outcome of the fight...

I think a lot of people are trying to compare chars by comparing skillpoints and are equating that to being able to fully compete.  This isn't really true... especially if you specialize. 

Since one can now transfer a character from one account to another... if catching up is really that big of a deal... one can always buy 3 accounts, train one char on each who is specialized totally for a particular task (combat, industry, mining, etc) ... do that for 3 months or so and then just consolidate to 1 account and cancel the other two.  There'd be some overlap... but as each char got into their specializations it'd be equivalent to catching up a LOT of time.

• txag98txag98 Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by Arleonenis

raven with smartbombs::::12::
    i know that peoples do very stupid things but this is really on top of all, raven with 6 fof cruise missles in one salvo could change black bird to dust in no time, so important thing to have in this game is "brain", even player that play a game for a year could lack in this::::02::

Hmmm, maybe he was using smartbombs for missile defense?  Still seems kind of weird on a raven. 

Gotta congratulate the new corp guys... they held firm and didn't just run when a raven jumped in.  That BB pilot deserves a nice bonus!

• Silver_NightSilver_Night Member Posts: 9
    no doubt thats what they were for. lol, luck was with you guys that he didn't have fof cruises. lol, if it was tankCEO, though i dobt he would be that dumb, you guys shouldhave podded him after concord finished, there are people that pay good money for his corpse. know he flys a raven usually.

• imasigimasig Member Posts: 149

An update.  After talking with my corp mates about it a few days later it turns out the pirate (not sure of them name) had just burnt out all of his FOFs in a lengthly battle a few minutes before he attacked us.  He saw all of our players were <2 months old so he didn't think there would be much e-w or willingness to even fight on our part.  That mentality is pretty consistent with pirates and new players.