Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Went back to UO - it sucked

daveospicedaveospice Member UncommonPosts: 361

I tried both OSI and a free shard set back in supposid good ol' UO days.

I just have to say that adding trammal may have been a bad move in a lot of ways, but getting rid of PKING randomly was a good thing for UO.

It should be controled pvp.  From my experience all PKING allowed was for people to go and kill new players, and thus new players feel frustrated and dislike the game because they can't leave town, or go anywhere without being killed.  This may be a "skill based" game but that doesn't mean you have any chance at all with 60-80 magery of killing someone 7x GM.  It just sucks also because when I played Siege Perilous a strategy developed from the small amount of players - creating an account, and gating a "ghost" around to see where players were.  You can't see this ghost, but they can see you.  This allowed PKS to allocate all possible people to kill... and then as a group (you have no chance if there's a group of them) they would all go and kill you together, and split whatever you had been farming.

After going back and playing UO, just like an ex-girlfriend... I realized, damn she sucked in bed.  She had no intelligence, and her boobs were small.

Kthx

Comments

• WarsongLSWarsongLS Member Posts: 37

Ok you went back.

Far how long? 10 minutes, 2days, a week? What time of the day/night did you play? What shard? Just Seige?

Did you use your old account?  Or did  you try to build a new character?

Did you use the legacy client or did you try the new client?

• DelluciusDellucius Member Posts: 59

Well, I can't say I ever enjoyed the usual things in UO. If the one thing I play for didn't exist anymore, I wouldn't come back from a break either.

• StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491

Originally posted by daveospice

I just have to say that adding trammal may have been a bad move in a lot of ways, but getting rid of PKING randomly was a good thing for UO.
    It should be controled pvp.  From my experience all PKING allowed was for people to go and kill new players, and thus new players feel frustrated and dislike the game because they can't leave town, or go anywhere without being killed. 
    I have to disagree with the PKING.  Yes, it happens.  But, if you are smart you can take precautions to watch yoru back and keep your toon safe.  It's a lot like RL in that aspect.  You can't always prevent being attacked.  But if your smart and aware of your surroundings and know when to split your safe.  When I came back new I didn't have a problem at all.  I like games that only the strong survivel; keeps things more hard-core.  

I'm not in the majority though and this is why WoW has been so successful. 
  • daveospicedaveospice Member UncommonPosts: 361

If i had all day to play then yes your ideology would be correct.

However if all I can play is once every 3 days, and I get pked during that short period of time I was trying to play... then I won't play that game since it's a waste of time, after all I lost everything I spent time doing and my time is precious.

Just the way I am.

So in theory your ideology would be correct, but since this is a game designed to make money it is not.  Most players do not want a game that you lose everything you spent time doing when you die.

Leave farming/leveling to non-pvp, and once you accomplish that, then you should be forced to pvp.

• SWGLoverSWGLover Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 539

Prepare to be flamed by the pvper's for not being a willing victim.

I sometimes think that people who played UO forget about the low risk/ high reward advantage that the gank squads enjoyed in UO. That imbalance was one of the main reasons that so many players embraced EQ when it came out.

And yes, I know that I'll be called a "carebear" for saying this. Don't really care, ok?

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

I went back and played it for a couple months a while back..

I didn't like it.. but that had nothing to do with Trammel, Pk's or the lack of.

It wasn't the game I knew... and nobody I knew is there (to make it short).

Thought about going back for a month to see what KR looked like.  I just figure it would end in the same result.  It was pretty easy for me to avoid being pk'd .. altho I actually pretty much looked forward to someone trying after a while.

As to losing stuff.. I guess since I had a GM in every craft "back in the day" I never cared.  I had at least 3 sometimes more.. packs in my bank with the exact setup I always carried.  So if I lost "everything" I just grabbed a pack out of the bank and good to go.  Actually I think I kept chests in the bank not packs.. since everyone carried stuff in chests.. magic locked to avoid thieves.

Most times I actually would get my stuff back when I did die.. because whoever looted me still had the stuff on them when I found them.

UO was great.. when you killed someone that attacked you .. and found a house rune and keys... or when T2A came out... and you'd kill a titan that had looted someone...  oooo treasures.

Anyway.. don't exactly agree with the OP's reasoning.. or share it at least.  But... its not a game I can play again either. (my friends made the game for me.. and in fact most any MMO I've ever liked was because I found some people I liked.. while mmo's I hate.. seemed full of people i hated).

• jj85624jj85624 Member Posts: 153

DUDE!! what are you talking about?!?!?! the randomly pking was one of the best part inUO. also you go RED once you pked more than five innocent people or atleast five people killed by you reported you.... and you get penalty from that. so if you have the guts to kil people randomly, go ahead, kill those noooobs.

everyone started from noob, heck, i get pked ten or more times probably in one hour when i was a noob. but i still made my way to the top. bought my own patio, created my own guild "AzN" and pked alot of people too :p, wars between choas and orders, war between guilds, factions. those were the good old times where you can kill your enemy when you see them without asking "can i duel you or will you fight me?"

lastly UO ROCKS!!!!! atleast b4 :)

• vajurasvajuras Member Posts: 2,860

Originally posted by SWGLover

I sometimes think that people who played UO forget about the low risk/ high reward advantage that the gank squads enjoyed in UO. That imbalance was one of the main reasons that so many players embraced EQ when it came out.
    And yes, I know that I'll be called a "carebear" for saying this. Don't really care, ok?

hm, interesting stance you have on PVP there 

• SWGLoverSWGLover Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 539

Originally posted by vajuras

Originally posted by SWGLover

hm, interesting stance you have on PVP there 

UO wasn't pvp, it more like was 24/7 gank squads, usually with you being out-numbered 5 to 1. Not exactly fair and not exactly fun.  It seems that most of the players that have such fond memories of UO were the hunters, not the hunted.

I remember a whole lot of frustrated would-be miners in that game.......

Rarely, and I mean rarely did people rally to fight against the dread lords, and when they did the gankers simply teleported to safety. Again, very low risk for them with the potential of good rewards. It was imbalanced and when something more balanced came out, players left for it ( ie, EQ ) . And when they made the split in UO, the victims had a choice and left the gankers with no victims. Hence, they moved on also.

The spice of pvp is the risk of combat ( and maybe the chance that you'll come out on top ) . When unbalanced combat become nearly unavoidable and unwinable due to more gankers then victims, the fun ceased for a lot of players. The players voted with their feet, and there you have it.

Some of the RP'ing dread lords that played virtual bandits were worth getting robbed by just for the entertainment value, I have great memories of that. But getting blasted by 5 spells and killed before you have a chance to react? Who exactly would find that fun?

Don't forget that the gankers kept the gankees from ever getting good; they would put ghosts at the beginning of dungeons back in the day and when you entered the dungeon would gate in and kill you.

With ghosts they could determine before hand if the reward/risk ratio was worth it without any risk of doing so.

Also consider that if they kill you all the time you can never make money :(

Most pkers aren't just PKING you.  They harrass you.  They'll kill all your pets if you have any, and take all your items even if you're brand spanking new and have no other means of acquiring money/goods.  If you come back to your body, the'yll camp it for long periods of time killing you over and over.

That's the uo I remember anyway.  The new lands they kept adding helped alleviate this problem some by adding new hunting grounds... but how hard is it to instantly teleport a ghost to each of the 10 possibly hunting locations and run him through it looking for someone?

You can do it in 10-15 minutes.

Of course gankee's are going to complain, a farming character would kill many monsters for an hour and have very valuable items on them.  Items they could sell on e-bay, or just turn into gold themselves.  It had to be a lot of fun for pkers. 

• deucalliondeucallion Member Posts: 183

Aw c'mon folks, it really wasn't all THAT bad.  I played UO when it was released, all the way til a little after the Trammel debacle.  Yes, there were gank squads out there, and if you weren't careful, you'd lose everything you spent the past few hours working for.  That said, I went several gaming sessions without running into a single PKer.  It is possible to learn to avoid them.  Granted it's not always easy, but thats just part of the fun!  I lost more loot to gank squads than i can count, but i gained much more than i lost, because i learned how to play the game.  No one wants to do that anymore.  Everyone wants their travel to be repetitive and boring, their mobs handed to them on a silver platter.  Yes, i know i'm in the minority that loves full PvP, even though in UO i didn't get into PvPing much, cept to gather fellow guildmates and actually hunt down PvPers . . . now THAT was good times! 

It's sad that free-for-all PvP games nowadays are mostly just vaporware (Darkfall and Trials of Ascension to name 2).  UO was my only real experience of that kind, and i miss it.  I understand it isn't for everybody, but damn what i wouldn't give to find a game like that now.

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

The carebears were always crying and paranoid about someone breathing down their neck. Come on people, the PKers can't be everywhere at once. If you took a few sessions and learned how to take a few simple precautions they can be easily avoided.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• AirspellAirspell Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,391

False, PKers know all and see all. You cant escape them cause they know how you think and where you will want to be tomorrow morning or at 2 pm .  All you can do is cry and complain, make your time.

• bryanAbryanA Member Posts: 62

and to think I paid them $1247 this game could blind you though so be carefull when resubing

This is what it comes down to;

PVP in an arena, or a world like felucia where it's understood that you are both looking for pvp is different then a farming character, not designed to pvp, is getting attacked by five guys who's sole purpose isn't PVP but instead to harrass and to make someone elses game worse, or to just better themselves at your expense.

I don't mind pvp at all, and I don't mind having very risky times but there also comes a point where you're low on cash and you just want to get some money so you CAN pvp (which is typically the most fun part of any game) and someone is killing you and harrassing you.

When I come home from work the last thing I want to do is spend 3 hours dieing because I can't farm to get myself in shape to pvp.  I want to come on and enjoy my three hours.

• ryotianryotian Member Posts: 138

man this thread is so stupid they made a safe zone for carebears to farm in why cant you just go farm there? you obviously dont have what it takes to last the long haul lol. open PVP server is for those of us that have the balls to fight on it. If you cant handle then heat then roll on the carebear option or just find another game. its been like 10 yrs and the noobs are still cryin a river!  

• MMOChickyMMOChicky Member Posts: 7

Actually, it seems to me that the people crying a river are always pvpers wondering why they can't have easy pickins instead of earning their kills. "Golly I miss the old days, when I could kill anyone with my 500 friends and it was so easy, bring that back" - Kill with honor, and learn to adapt...pansies.

UO is much better in many ways than it was, and the new KR engine updates the look and feel of the game. I think UO is one of the few ganes that doesn't feel like it is suffocating me by expecting all my time, thoughts and effort.

• ryotianryotian Member Posts: 138
    Originally posted by MMOChicky

Actually, it seems to me that the people crying a river are always pvpers wondering why they can't have easy pickins instead of earning their kills. "Golly I miss the old days, when I could kill anyone with my 500 friends and it was so easy, bring that back" - Kill with honor, and learn to adapt...pansies.
    UO is much better in many ways than it was, and the new KR engine updates the look and feel of the game. I think UO is one of the few ganes that doesn't feel like it is suffocating me by expecting all my time, thoughts and effort.

do you know me no I dont think you do. you have no clue what server I play on do you?

• orlacorlac Member Posts: 549

I loved UO...and not because of the PVP, although before Trammel, it did make the hair on your arms stand up when you were travelling. However, I went back for a couple months to try KR.

Unfortunealty, EA has the 'D" team working on that and it was released unfinished. I played on Atlantic, and there was a good population, but pretty much it was concentrated in a swap meet at the Brit Bank. "Rares" are all anyone seems to care about, not adventuring.

I'm afraid this next expansion will be the last and the game will be allowed to fade into obscurity. Too bad, because it has so many features that new MMOs should be looking at.

Plus, WTF are elves and samurais doing in the Ultima universe??

• RonnyRulzRonnyRulz Member Posts: 479

Originally posted by Stellos

It should be controled pvp.  From my experience all PKING allowed was for people to go and kill new players, and thus new players feel frustrated and dislike the game because they can't leave town, or go anywhere without being killed. 
    I have to disagree with the PKING.  Yes, it happens.  But, if you are smart you can take precautions to watch yoru back and keep your toon safe.  It's a lot like RL in that aspect.  You can't always prevent being attacked.  But if your smart and aware of your surroundings and know when to split your safe.  When I came back new I didn't have a problem at all.  I like games that only the strong survivel; keeps things more hard-core.  

I'm not in the majority though and this is why WoW has been so successful. 

You obviously didn't read his post. New players cannot be smart, no matter how intelligent they are in real life. A newb is a newb, not a pro.

• StevenTheRocStevenTheRoc Member Posts: 74

If i had all day to play then yes your ideology would be correct.

However if all I can play is once every 3 days, and I get pked during that short period of time I was trying to play... then I won't play that game since it's a waste of time, after all I lost everything I spent time doing and my time is precious.
    Just the way I am.
    So in theory your ideology would be correct, but since this is a game designed to make money it is not.  Most players do not want a game that you lose everything you spent time doing when you die.
    Leave farming/leveling to non-pvp, and once you accomplish that, then you should be forced to pvp.

this doesn't make any logical sense. You don't get to chose when you die in a game, that's why it's a game. WTF? 

You don't have to engage in pvp, just get killed and go to the area of the game where there are carebear protectorates.

• jaharjahar Member Posts: 234

One of the best things about it was the fact that if someone pissed you off, you could stick a sword in them. No, I wasn't a PK, all though i did once or twice with a friend of mine. I played on atlanic, and i loved it. Never saw  any gangs of PKs though.. i heard of a PK guild or 2 though. I never heard of the ghost thing though.. must be after my time. I never had alot of problems with PKs as a newb, some, but not alot.. personally i think it added to the thrill. The best feeling i ever had in a video game was from making it out alive.. and to tell yo uthe truth, it wasnt that hard.. somone mentioned that you might get PK'd, then track the guy down for revenge, and that they would jsut teleport away.. why didnt you just do that? thats all i did.. i had a mule mining character, with no combat skills, and it was very rare that he would die.. just teleport out. and another thing, loot wasnt a huge deal.. at  the end of the day, skill gains is what you were really after, and you didnt lose those when you would die.. unless you were a murderer. And I dont care what server you were on, if you were a noob, and you got PK'd they wouldnt take all your stuff.. its a waste of weight capacity. gold, regs, and exeptional plate is all anyone ever took from me. ever. I also always had 2 spare sets of everything in storage.. everyone did.. things werent really all that expensive.. i suppose if all you could manage was to die all the time, then yeah.. maybe things would get expensive..

I dont know.. i always thought the best thing about MMO's was supposed to be freedom.. to do anything you wanted, with consequences and reverberations of course.. back in the UO days i wanted to see it go even more in that direction.. ya know, with our actions actually affecting the world, and land, etc... but theyve gone in the opposite directions

what people want now is a single player game they can play, but at the end meet up with others and brag about the stuff they bought from RMTs. Thats if they even played the game, instead of just buying the account. PvP should be all nice with no consequence, totally consensual.. is this really what this genre has come to?

• SophistSophist Member Posts: 171

Hey guys and gals,

I don't post much and could care less if you call me whatever but I will say this. Some people have valid points stated above and I wont repeat them here if you want to know read above. My opinion on the current state of UO to tell you the truth isen't to grim. I recently resubed one of my account to give it a whirl again. secondary account can remember mains info. :(  Anywho I dont find things have changed all that much and I had been away for 3 yrs. If people want to complain about the new gears and arties and all that crap well guess what if they never put any new gear in the game most bonheads would be complaining about that.

On another note I have played a lot of the Free mmo's and the lot of clones out now and can honestly say that as soon as I logged into UO again it felt like an mmoRPG I was playing. Noone of the WOW clones provide that feeling for me anyways. I fear a lot of the younger crowd that play MMO's today dont really know what the RPG in MMORPG stands for. ITS not a MMOSOYSPG (MMO show of your stuff playing game.) But alas most out now are just that. Yes there are arties and so on in UO But none of witch can't be have by anyone in the game none of this class spesific suff. Although I will mention i was surprised to see elf only gear. But I can overlook that as its such a small percentage of items in the game world that are restricted.

Now about PVP, Gank Sqwads and the random PK . Listen people if you dan't want to get PK'd it so freaking Simple these day if you can't figure it out I can't belieave you actually know how to turn your computer on even. Stay the hell out of Fellucia!!! GOD is it that hard to figure out. The only thing they have there that you don't is champ spawns and if you don't want to fight then buy em with you tramm earned moneys.

Other then that Anyone saying you need to do this or that for pvp well that all comes down to tactics of the people you play with. Expl.. If the reds camp the spawns with gosts WTH is stoping you from doing the same so you know when they check so you know when to get ready for a fight. If you don't think you have a chance run and try later. Second I could care less what anyone say's I never Hacked cheated or ran scripts. I will be honest and let everyone know i did use UO assist. (leagal to use with UO) SO NOT cheating anyone can get it and use it if you don't then expect the result to be a disadvantage.

Now someone stated above not being able to do anytrhing cause of gank sqwads hmmm... so untrue you must be a newb. The guild i was in held off BC one of the biggest guild in GL at the time not sure about now with about 11 people And compleated the spawn after. They had about 30-40 come and try to raid our spawn and it didn't happen so again it comes down to tactics and the people you play with.

Sorry man the ultimate point I guess about PVP is if you are dumb about it you will pay dearly. Expl.. fight with morons and expect greatness well hey thats your own stupidity.

Flame on all you want I got to go home from work now and I'll check back later to see the frenchcry lovers here flaming this post.

Sophist

"The most important thing is to have the design support the players in setting their own goals in both cooperative and competitive interaction with one another." - Ironore -

• richard22182richard22182 Member Posts: 31

pfft pking was always part of what uo was about taking away pking and pvp is like watching censored porn. it also nearly ruined the game for the huge population of reds and pvpers. i mean jeez were not evil just because we go in groups and have fun fighting and killing people in a game it made it so there was almost no support for reds everything was blue this, trammel that malas and whatever else all the while pvp became more unbalaced.  And due to the lack off support nearly all the population became blues so alot less big fights, and besides whose stupid enuff to go farming near where a group of pvpers are... go in a group or somewhere where they arent  most people that reds kill are either people looking for a fight , overconfidant idiots or noobs who have no idea of whats going on and whats the big deal of dying in this game anyway u lose like 6k if u have insurance and if u dont have insurance now ur an idiot or have crap armor... and back then pretty much all armor and stuff was crap so it didnt matter if u lost it. and besides to us reds the annoying ones are the tons of trash talking blues which come over to kill us in swarms in pvp its ussually 3 blues or so to every red unless ur fighting another pk guild. thanks for listening to my rant. anyway i dont know why the hell anyone would play an online game just to fight npcs with there noob friends makes it alot more boring and easy than fighting real people. if you dont want to ave fun and fight real people so you can go and spam monster spawns go play some easy crap noob game like maplestory. Monsters are really just so you can train ur character enough to fight and to get money and items so you can use them in a real fight i mean jeez spending 3000 hours making a character just so you can fight a harder monster... anyway i mean jesus christ all reds have now except for pvp is champs thats the one thing we ussuaklly have control over and even then get a group of like 30 blues or a guild like dei and you can do one no problem i mean we dont have malas we dont have tokuno we dont have trammel  if some idot goes afk while spawning or scripting chopping wood its their own fualt they die we dont have very much and we dont like pests encroaching on it exceopt when we want to hunt some noobs from tram, and no ive never used uo assist even though most blues in fel do and i never have or will but i have bnothing against people who do it makes it alot easier for mages and people who chug pots and makes them less likely to cheat although alot of people do use assist with cheats

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Hmm, well I just joined the Shadowcove shard and I'm having a blast. Old memories of back in the day are coming back to me, nothing gives that feelling like UO! For anyone interested in playing, for free even, Google Shadowcove and try it out. I'm having an absolute blast!  

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky