Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Funcom Reveals Age of Conan CG Trailer

Comments

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

Holy shit...i giggeld like a little girl.....amazing!

And gore to

• METALDRAG0NMETALDRAG0N Member Posts: 1,680
    Originally posted by machiavelli

This trailer looks nice (gore) .
    Low-res ftp.funcom.com/media/Age_of_Conan/videos/cgTrailer/blur_trailer480P.wmv

High-resftp.funcom.com/media/Age_of_Conan/videos/cgTrailer/blur_trailer720P.wmv

Oh wow talk about Dejavuu We have like 2 other topcs with the EXACT same video on them, Do we really need ay more?

"Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god."
    -- Jean Rostand

• EichenkatzeEichenkatze Member Posts: 340
    Originally posted by METALDRAG0N

Originally posted by machiavelli

This trailer looks nice (gore) .
    Low-res ftp.funcom.com/media/Age_of_Conan/videos/cgTrailer/blur_trailer480P.wmv

High-resftp.funcom.com/media/Age_of_Conan/videos/cgTrailer/blur_trailer720P.wmv

Oh wow talk about Dejavuu We have like 2 other topcs with the EXACT same video on them, Do we really need ay more?

Apparently so... hush and be glad there are so many willing to give you the information to view things like this now have a beer and watch it again my good friend /pat

Everquest - 2000 - '02
    Anarchy Online - '01-'02
    Earth and Beyond - '02-'04
    Star Wars Galaxies - '03-'06('07)
    World of Warcraft - '04-'07
    Age of Conan - '08 - shelved.
    -Waiting on-
    Star Trek Online
    SW: The Old Republic

• TibbzTibbz Member UncommonPosts: 613

All i can say is that the vidoe was fantastic.  

• tetsultetsul Member Posts: 1,020

Tis but a scratch!

• checkthis500checkthis500 Member Posts: 1,236

Very awesome.  I loved when that guy shook off his arm.  That was really cool. 

Blur does some awesome work with CG stuff.  Kinda cool that the same studio did the CG for AoC and WAR. :)

Really cool stuff.

---------------------------------------------
    I live to fight, and fight to live.

Originally posted by tetsul

Tis but a scratch!

Only a flesh wound!

But as Checkthis stated, indeed! The combat scene is by far the best part!

Everquest - 2000 - '02
    Anarchy Online - '01-'02
    -Waiting on-
    Star Trek Online

• GoldknyghtGoldknyght Member UncommonPosts: 1,519

Originally posted by checkthis500

Very awesome.  I loved when that guy shook off his arm.  That was really cool. 
    Blur does some awesome work with CG stuff.  Kinda cool that the same studio did the CG for AoC and WAR. :)
    Really cool stuff.

Yeah when he shook of his arm i was like BS i would of ran the other way but it was awesome scene non the less.

• Riho06Riho06 Member Posts: 431

Excellent video, just like the others.

I have one worry however, wtf is up with the excessive gore? Some of the actual in game footage that has been passed around shows nearly every swing spraying blood all over the place, that's neither realistic or neccessary in my opinion.

I'm well past the age of 'shock movies' being cool so that really doesn't impress me but it seems with AoC that they're attempting to appeal to the younger crowd in 2 ways. 1st is the console gamers since they'll be compatible and 2nd due to this gore factor, I doubt anyone here is naive enough to say that the 'Mature' rating on this game will keep parents from buying the game, that argument and mentallity have long been since out the window.

I'm all for the success of AoC since its always better to have options on the table other than that silly WoW game but just some concerns..

Originally posted by Riho06

Excellent video, just like the others.
    I have one worry however, wtf is up with the excessive gore? Some of the actual in game footage that has been passed around shows nearly every swing spraying blood all over the place, that's neither realistic or neccessary in my opinion.
    I'm well past the age of 'shock movies' being cool so that really doesn't impress me but it seems with AoC that they're attempting to appeal to the younger crowd in 2 ways. 1st is the console gamers since they'll be compatible and 2nd due to this gore factor, I doubt anyone here is naive enough to say that the 'Mature' rating on this game will keep parents from buying the game, that argument and mentallity have long been since out the window.
    I'm all for the success of AoC since its always better to have options on the table other than that silly WoW game but just some concerns..

Actually, they've stated in developer interviews and blogs that they realize a more mature base of players is beginning to take hold of the MMO world, and they want to work with that. If you've ever delved into the Conan books and comics.. its bloody. Very bloody. The authors use extensive detail to give the reader a visualization of Conan's axe splitting the skull of his charing foe.. how the brains and remains spew accross the surrounding surfaces and a detailed description of how the body slumps to the side lifelessly. They want the game to be gritty and realistic.. in a sense. Now, blood gushing on every hit may not be entirely realistic.. but its Conan.. and they actually want to appeal to a more mature audience. Hence the "M" rating coming with the game. In a joint interview you'll find in another thread currently floating here one of the comments  from a developer is that they realize there are mature players in the MMO world and so instead of settling for the casual MMO to appeal to all ages with a T rating.. they want to make Conan for what it was meant to be.. so its going to be an M rating. And while the M rating wont stop some parents... it will for quite a few, trust me.. There are alot of responsible parents out there, even paranoid and over-the-top.. we just see the plethera of ones who could give a shat less, online.

The blood and gore is just conan... though the developers also have been toying with blood and guts as that same interview explains.

Everquest - 2000 - '02
    Anarchy Online - '01-'02
    -Waiting on-
    Star Trek Online

• IrishIrish Member UncommonPosts: 259

Really? I'm looking forward to the blood, honestly. I don't mean to flame or hate, this is just constructive criticism. I kind of saw it as marketed more towards an older audience. But I guess I can see kids going nuts about the gore. It's a dark world, and I think just how Frank Miller uses blood in comic books to accentuate his darker images, Age of Conan does the same.

When I hit something with a sword, I expect to see a reminder of why I don't do it in real life in the form of blood or dismemberment. This may be just me, but, I like the visual style of the game. 

I do agree that If parents actually followed the game ratings on the box, we wouldn't have to worry about it appealing to kids, because they couldn't play. I think the only time I was asked for my ID was when I got Perfect Dark way back when. Maybe it's time for the retailers to start picking up the slack.

Every swing with a sword will generally draw blood, maybe not in excess, but blood nonetheless. I know from personal experience as I nearly lost my thumb to a sword with just a glancing touch (an acquaintence who immediately regretted his poor decision making).

My sob story aside,  it's just a game with an exciting approach, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just take it for what it's worth, something new to enjoy and occasionally cheer for the painful looking blood fountain spouting out from a hated rival player! 

I wonder if the grittiness is an attempt at escape from WoW's cartoonish style? Wondering hurts my head, so I'll stop.

Cheers,

Ted Danson

• SixavSixav Member Posts: 2
    Videos like this just make me want to play more. Come one general beta
  • keygankeygan Member Posts: 237

i wonder if the game will look as good (graphically) as that video.  If it does it is going to own the other games on the market for sure.

• GaurusGaurus Member Posts: 9

Every one of these videos makes me want to play more. Funcom is doing a great job and hopefully will deliver a great game.

• JPR1985JPR1985 Member Posts: 212

One thing I liked from the video, is how the barbarian drops his second weapon when the guys loses his arm, just to have an honorable fight! Thats class!

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

The R rating is not only just for gore, its nudity as well.

And that is really the world of Conan...

But the best part is when mothers dont want the children to play AoC, and the fathers (that ofcourse know about the nudity) want to let the children play....

• razerblade29razerblade29 Member UncommonPosts: 230

Im shure theres an option to turn down the gore, so for everyone who is saying that the blood is unrealistic and unnecessary(not just talking in this thread but for everyone who ever said it in any thread) just get over it cause its no a big deal

• odragonodragon Member Posts: 106

Conan is all about the violence, and gore. It is not a happy-fun-place fantasy game. It is down in the mud, trying to get the muck out of your loincloth to take a dump kind of game.

I do hope they dont waste thier time with a 'clean up' version, and concentrate on getting this game to retail ASAP. :D

• METALDRAG0NMETALDRAG0N Member Posts: 1,680

Originally posted by keygan

i wonder if the game will look as good (graphically) as that video.  If it does it is going to own the other games on the market for sure.

Err no.

And i do agree that we need blood but perhaps the blood level is a little high.

"Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god."
    -- Jean Rostand

• TibbzTibbz Member UncommonPosts: 613

it is so beautiful it brings a tear to my eye.  THey seem to be sticking with the conan lore very well; i hope the game has a story lol 

• RedruumRedruum Member UncommonPosts: 314

Bah, this was posted three days ago here in this same forum! So old! :) Good links to the video's though.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/138640