Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 is the world going to end?

defenestratedefenestrate Member CommonPosts: 578

Saw this being brought up in another topic so i figured ya'll could argue about it here. Are the Mayans right??

Comments

• Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718

There are countless topics about that here. I can't see how yall should be so paranoid about the future. I'm going to carve something in a large rock this week just to see if the people 1000 years later will believe it.

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861

Hah!  That's pretty good Riki.  I urge you to do it, hehe.

I once painted some cave art in the hopes that somebody in the future would find it and start postulating all kinds of theories about it.  Hehehe....Just because of all the deep, meaningfull crap they come up with to explain why our ancestors painted cave art.  Why don't they ever consider the possibility that the cavemen and women did it just for the hell of it because they liked drawing pictures.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

Ofcourse not

• Cabe2323Cabe2323 Member Posts: 2,939

Of course it is.  The aliens told the Mayans so.  

Currently playing:
    LOTRO & WoW (not much WoW though because Mines of Moria rocks!!!!)

Looking Foward too:
    Bioware games (Dragon Age & Star Wars The Old Republic)

• ZikielZikiel Member Posts: 1,138

Chisel something meaningful Riki, see if you can get yourself a religion...

"Great priest, I must know if I should marry or not!"

"Ask me not child, the rock knows all."

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Originally posted by defenestrate

Saw this being brought up in another topic so i figured ya'll could argue about it here. Are the Mayans right??
    Well given the data we have:

1.  Mayans, Chinese, and the Greeks (oracles) all stated that on December 21, 2012 (their equilivants of December) will be the last day of this age.  All three civilizations stated this hundreds of years apart, thousands of miles apart.

2.  The Mayan calendar is so accurate it has 100% successfully declared the exact day of a Solar and/or Lunar eclipse to this day.

3.  The Mayans in 700 AD declared the exact month, day, and year when the "paled skin bearded Gods will come to them and wreak vengeance."  That day, Cortez appeared on the shores and eventually whiped out their civilization.

4.  Nasa has declared that in December of 2012, we will experience a complete and utter solar flare storm that happens once every 10,000 years.  The solar flares are supposed to be so great the magnetic bands around our Earth will temporarily go crazy and any electromagnetic type of equipment will burn out (cell phones, computers, etc)

5.  Once every 250,000 years our Earth, Moon, Sun, and the black hole in the center of our galaxy aligns itself.  On December 21, 2012 these planets and entities will again line up.  Scientists aren't sure what will happen but some suggested anywhere from typhoon like conditions to our surface crust being turned lopsided (meaning... the Poles will become the equator and vice versa) in the matter of days or even hours.

6.  According to Nasa, around December 21, 2012 we will experience a very near miss of an asteroid as well as other near collisions of a couple more asteroids dating from Sept of 2012 and the end of December 2012.

But do your own research and draw your own conclusions

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• defenestratedefenestrate Member CommonPosts: 578
    Originally posted by Enigma

1.  Mayans, Chinese, and the Greeks (oracles) all stated that on December 21, 2012 (their equilivants of December) will be the last day of this age.  All three civilizations stated this hundreds of years apart, thousands of miles apart.

2.  The Mayan calendar is so accurate it has 100% successfully declared the exact day of a Solar and/or Lunar eclipse to this day.

3.  The Mayans in 700 AD declared the exact month, day, and year when the "paled skin bearded Gods will come to them and wreak vengeance."  That day, Cortez appeared on the shores and eventually whiped out their civilization.

4.  Nasa has declared that in December of 2012, we will experience a complete and utter solar flare storm that happens once every 10,000 years.  The solar flares are supposed to be so great the magnetic bands around our Earth will temporarily go crazy and any electromagnetic type of equipment will burn out (cell phones, computers, etc)

5.  Once every 250,000 years our Earth, Moon, Sun, and the black hole in the center of our galaxy aligns itself.  On December 21, 2012 these planets and entities will again line up.  Scientists aren't sure what will happen but some suggested anywhere from typhoon like conditions to our surface crust being turned lopsided (meaning... the Poles will become the equator and vice versa) in the matter of days or even hours.

6.  According to Nasa, around December 21, 2012 we will experience a very near miss of an asteroid as well as other near collisions of a couple more asteroids dating from Sept of 2012 and the end of December 2012.

Havent heard the number 4 or 5 reasons! Thats insane, I better make sure I have a few bottles of captain morgan and a few 2 litres of coke for that day just in case.

• Keebs1984Keebs1984 Member Posts: 1,356

The whole "Mayans predict the world will end in 2012" thing is an interesting proposition. Quite frankly, if the Mayans were right then that means Christianity is wrong.

After all the world can't end without its "second Jesus", or whatever the event is called.

2012 will be an interesting year, even if nothing happens. All the speculation will build and build and build until people are openly paranoid about it. It will be Y2K x 100. Can't wait. . .

P.S. 2012 is also the year where the EPOC numbers roll over to 0. Perhaps a technological disaster as well?

Eternally mine,
    Keebs

The MMO gaming blog I write for.

• Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718

I have my douts about most of them including number 4. Kinda something about Y2K.

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861

Without even looking into it I can safely say that 4 and 5 are total bullshit.

Nasa has declared.....heh, yeah right.  Link please?  That would be pretty impressive if they could predict solar flares five years in advance.  But I'm pretty sure that if anyone from Nasa claimed he could do that he would become a laughing stock.

And the thing about the alignment;  I think you would be hard pressed to find any respectable scientists predicting doomsday based on some dreaded alignment of celestial bodies.  That's more in the arena of astrologists and tarro card readers.

• CooktasticoCooktastico Member Posts: 599

I don't think the NASA ones are correct, but I'm going to ask them over the listserv (i work there) and see. 

As for Riki, you need to carve something like, a lobster on a toilet that's surrounded by ringpops. 

On the subject of the world ending, figure that a new console comes out every 4-5 years.  This year (Q4 2012), Sega will attempt to release ANOTHER console that will be claimed "far superior to all other forms of technology."  This system flops so bad that it irrevocably causes armageddon.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Actually many scientists believe this theory, it is also at the heart of one of the most popular Atlantis theory, which believes that Atlantis was in the Antartica continent and a shift of the earth like the one described above has brought the civilization to an end when the Antartica moved suddenly from a tropical zone to the south pole.

Anyway, regarding the end of the world due in 2012, I think that it's just another guess.

We had already hundreds of end of the earth predicted by previous civilizations, scientists or average Joe, but we are still here.

But quite frankly, who cares?

Nothing we can do about it, innit?

It's one of those things you cannot change so why should people worry about?

• Varlok91Varlok91 Member Posts: 396

Originally posted by ste2000

Actually many scientists believe this theory, it is also at the heart of one of the most popular Atlantis theory, which believes that Atlantis was in the Antartica continent and a shift of the earth like the one described above has brought the civilization to an end when the Antartica moved suddenly from a tropical zone to the south pole.

Anyway, regarding the end of the world due in 2012, I think that it's just another guess.

We had already hundreds of end of the earth predicted by previous civilizations, scientists or average Joe, but we are still here.

But quite frankly, who cares?

Nothing we can do about it, innit?

It's one of those things you cannot change so why should people worry about?

That Atlantis theory has to be wrong if its correct this happens once every 250,000 years. There was no Greece civilization that early. And if it did happen that means this alignment is not due for over 200,000 years.

I do agree with you though, its one of those things you cannot change, so don't worry about it.

--------------------------------
    Desktop - AMD 8450 Tri Core, 3 gigs of DDR2 800 RAM, ATI HD 3200 Graphics, Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
    Laptop (Dell Latitude E6400) - Intel P8400, 2 GIGs of RAM, Intel X4500, Windows XP Professional

• gnomexxxgnomexxx Member Posts: 2,920
    Originally posted by Rikimaru_X

There are countless topics about that here. I can't see how yall should be so paranoid about the future. I'm going to carve something in a large rock this week just to see if the people 1000 years later will believe it.

I don't necessarily believe all the stuff.  But I think I'm like a lot of people who read these things in that it just kicks off the imagination.  It's just fun stuff to read about, but it's got that added twist of "what if it's real?" 

===============================

Originally posted by gnomexxx

I don't necessarily believe all the stuff.  But I think I'm like a lot of people who read these things in that it just kicks off the imagination.  It's just fun stuff to read about, but it's got that added twist of "what if it's real?" 

Exactly! Im sure we will see more than a few doomsayers wandering around screaming " The end is nigh!" that year.

• gnomexxxgnomexxx Member Posts: 2,920

Exactly! Im sure we will see more than a few doomsayers wandering around screaming " The end is nigh!" that year.

You see those people now on the religious television.  They keep talking about this thing called Revelations.

By the way, I saw a show about that the other day too.  It said Revelations is about Nero.  Tell that to the Christians running around saying the end is near though and I'm sure you'll meet some resistance.  It also said that the real interpretation is not even 666, but 616.  I don't see them changing the Bible's though.

===============================

• ThriftThrift Member Posts: 1,783

The Mayan Calendar is not predicting the end of the world 2012, but the start of a new era; the golden age.

Originally posted by Thrift

The Mayan Calendar is not predicting the end of the world 2012, but the start of a new era; the golden age.
    Free greencards?

Sorry, couldnt hold it in

Originally posted by Keebs1984

The whole "Mayans predict the world will end in 2012" thing is an interesting proposition. Quite frankly, if the Mayans were right then that means Christianity is wrong.
    How so?
    After all the world can't end without its "second Jesus", or whatever the event is called.
    Whose to say that December 21, 2012 will not usher in the second coming of Christ.  After all, the Mayans said December 21, 2012 will be the end of our current age.  I think the second coming of Christ will rank up there with a new era of an age.
    2012 will be an interesting year, even if nothing happens. All the speculation will build and build and build until people are openly paranoid about it. It will be Y2K x 100. Can't wait. . .
    Well, there is certainly a lot of extrinsic factors to many anomolies and they all point to the same date.
    P.S. 2012 is also the year where the EPOC numbers roll over to 0. Perhaps a technological disaster as well?
    Well, according to Web*Bots, an internet program, the programming does end on 2012.  December 21, 2012 to be exact

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

Originally posted by Cooktastico

I don't think the NASA ones are correct, but I'm going to ask them over the listserv (i work there) and see. 
    As for Riki, you need to carve something like, a lobster on a toilet that's surrounded by ringpops. 
    On the subject of the world ending, figure that a new console comes out every 4-5 years.  This year (Q4 2012), Sega will attempt to release ANOTHER console that will be claimed "far superior to all other forms of technology."  This system flops so bad that it irrevocably causes armageddon.
    Nasa will confirm it.  I saw it, not on a website or seedy television show, but on Nasa's public station and on the Discovery channel concerning solar flares.

Just google it, you findtons of resources on the next great solar flare storm in 2012

Originally posted by Neanderthal

Without even looking into it I can safely say that 4 and 5 are total bullshit.

Nasa has declared.....heh, yeah right.  Link please? 

science.slashdot.org/article.pl

science.nasa.gov/newhome/headlines/ast02mar99_1.htm

www-spof.gsfc.nasa.gov/stargaze/StarFAQ17.htm

ilws.gsfc.nasa.gov/china_china.pdf

science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2006/10may_longrange.htm

www.gsfc.nasa.gov/topstory/2002solar2.html

These links are from NASA themselves and it took me two minutes to find and a little over ten minutes to read.  Just do a little research on your own before you call bullshit.  These links are directly from NASA and a simple research will tell you one of the largest solar flares in our civilized history will occur in 2012.

That would be pretty impressive if they could predict solar flares five years in advance.  But I'm pretty sure that if anyone from Nasa claimed he could do that he would become a laughing stock.

They have. Take a gander on their website. You'll be suprised.

You see those people now on the religious television.  They keep talking about this thing called Revelations.

By the way, I saw a show about that the other day too.  It said Revelations is about Nero.  Tell that to the Christians running around saying the end is near though and I'm sure you'll meet some resistance.  It also said that the real interpretation is not even 666, but 616.  I don't see them changing the Bible's though.

It's actually 666. Its a numerical alpha code in the greek and ancient Aramaic and Hebrew numeral system that describes the alpha-numeric repsentation of a name or a set of Words.  666 means Nero in a literal Alpha translation.

It's not 616. Trust me on this one 

• 8hammer88hammer8 Member Posts: 1,812

My company would just like to thank all of you for rendering me completely useless today so far.  Because of all this 2012 info, I have been sciming/reading more useless (in terms of my actual job duties) websites that usual.  I am loving every single drop of this and I have found one site in particular that is an absolute classic.  It has a bunch of different categories of things to relate 2012.

Your Official 2012 Site

My favorite is the following though:

2012, the End of the World and Your Credit

By Stewart Griffen

On December 21, 2012 the world as we know it is going to come to an end.*

Whether it will be total Armageddon or a major social upheaval or if it will be perpetrated by an inescapable natural event or will be the result of our own doing, no one knows. Regardless of the details the prospect of the end of days begs one important question.

How will this affect my credit?

A human extinction scenario opens exciting financial possibilities for the average American to maximize their capital resources. Best of all you don’t need any business skills; everything you need is already in your wallet and waiting for you in your mailbox.

Most Americans have dreams that they believe they will never be able to achieve because of financial limitations. They already have debt they are frantically trying to pay off and many fear everyday for their financial futures. But if you consider that 2012 is merely half a decade away you really do not have a financial future anymore.

So how can you live your dreams before the end?

The amount of available credit you have is commonly referred to as “potential debt” and is considered to be a bad thing. However with the impending extermination of mankind it now becomes “potential wealth” and is your key to living your dreams.

The first step is to take all of those credit cards you have hidden away out again and start spending. Also stop tossing all those credit card offers in the trash and take them up on their generosity regardless of interest rates. Every new card is more potential wealth.

The next step is to reduce the amount you are paying back to the minimum payments. This alone can put hundreds of dollars back in your pocket. But don’t get overzealous and stop paying altogether. If you do not make at least the minimum payments you are in violation of your credit agreements and your creditors can cut you off. You don’t want that yet.

Finally take advantage of those courtesy checks that are attached to your monthly statements as well as cash advances. Not only are they great for situations that you cannot use credit cards you can use them to pay one card with another keeping even more cash in your pocket.

The important thing is to pace yourself, if you do too much at once you will raise red flags and again your creditors will cut you off. Eventually however even your minimum payments are going to become burdensome. At this point you can simply stop paying, very soon after your creditors will cut you off but if you were a savvy credit user you should have been able to take advantage of around 80% of your credit. For the average American this can be upwards of $40,000.

But what if the end does not come?

There is always the potential that this, like in the past, is a false alarm and life will carry on as usual. Not to worry, even if the end does not come your credit resets itself every seven years, so depending on when you reached critical mass you simple have to wait a couple of years and start over.

But it is unlikely that this will happen, 1999 and 2001 were both false alarms so the third times a charm as they say. The real question is how foolish will you feel if the conclusion to mankind is near and the only thing you accomplished in your final days was maintaining your 720 credit score?**

*According to some interpretations of the Mesoamerican Long Count calendar used by the Maya civilization of pre-Columbian Mesoamerica the Mayan system is believed to predict the beginning and/or end of a major cycle in history, the “end of the world,” or the “dawning of a new age” on or around the period of time surrounding December 21, 2012. The significance of this period-ending to the pre-Columbian Maya themselves is unclear however, it is conjectured that this may represent in the Maya belief system a transition from the current Creation world into the next.

**This article is written as a work of fiction. Sylk Magazine has neither conformed or disproved the end times and is not responsible for damages, financial or otherwise, incurred from following the advice in this article. Some actions described above could constitute credit fraud, Sylk Magazine does not advocate credit card fraud or any other illegal financial activities and warns that following the information set forth in this article could cause irreparable damage to your credit and is not recommended. Highlight Above to get more info

On the other hand… What if the world was ending?

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)

• CooktasticoCooktastico Member Posts: 599

If 2012 is a new era, and we get a bunch of cool new stuff, I bet the people that died in 2011 are going to be pissed.

• UrdigUrdig Member Posts: 1,260

It's actually 666. Its a numerical alpha code in the greek and ancient Aramaic and Hebrew numeral system that describes the alpha-numeric repsentation of a name or a set of Words.  666 means Nero in a literal Alpha translation.

It's not 616. Trust me on this one 

I'm siding with Enigma on this.  666 is correct.

Apocalyptic writing isn't about the future it's about the time it's written.

I do think the solar storm is very likely, after all, it was a solar flare that knocked the power grid down in Canada or the US (can't remember) a few years ago, causing massive black outs.

The alignment of the super massive black hole, the sun, and earth I'm not buying.  It hasn't been that long since scientists even discovered the existance of super massive black holes in the center of galaxies.  Also thier is the problem of the one in the center of the milky way being dormant.  It's already eaten up all the matter near enough to it; so aligning with it really doesn't mean much of anything other then we'll be aligned with it.  Not to mention, of all the types of black holes, the ones at the center of galaxies are possibly the least understood.

Edit: I believe that scientists have also determined that the black hole at the center of our galaxy hasn't had any kind of effect on it for quite some time.  It's gravatational effects aren't believed to be having any kind of an effect on anything in the galaxy.  There were apparently some tests done that determined that while our galaxies movement was determined by the black hole, it's movement today isn't actually governed by it.  I could be wrong, I'm going off the best of my knowledge on this, but i"m pretty sure it's correct info.  That's not to say that the scientists themselves could be wrong.

Wish Darkfall would release.