Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Going back into SWG in about one hour.

2»

Comments

• FreelanceFreelance Member Posts: 83

Well I returned about a month ago and dont see myself leaving anytime soon.  The game has improved but is still buggy at times.  I say if you have a copy try it out for a month and see for yourself.  I bet you will be surprised.

Btw for you guys that are having fps problems in towns and such,  try uping your memory.  Swg really makes a huge difference from 512mb to 1g.  Dont bother going over 1 gig though because swg only uses a max of 75 percent of ram max out at 1gig.  I think memory is more important than video card in this game.  Also for faster load times,  at login screen option deactivate precaching.

Anyway good luck who all try it and if you run into Free Villian or Deton Villian then give me a /slap :)

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

I recently came back to SWG myself and i think that review is pretty good.

Though the population is high since i see massive numbers espically in coronet.

My main complaint then and now is the jedi craze.It is still very alive sadly.

This alone would not make me play SWG past the free month because i am intrested in a star wars univerise not a pay to play larger version of KOTOR.And jedis are more fun in KOTOR at that.

To be honest SoE has implemented a lot of things now and even on release to make SWG a fun game with lots of variety.

Problem is they bowed to pressure and let jedis flood the game now thats the only profession i see anyone looking for which kills the variety aspect which is essential to me for any mmorpg.

SoE has kept in a lot to try boost other areas of the game but once pandora's box is opened it can't be shut.

To me its sad to see so many good efforts by SoE get spoiled by the jedi madness(which they have a lot of blame for too).

Funny enough with less content and so many bugs from june to january when i quit the early days were much better for me primarily because there were no player jedis in the game and people did other things for fun like weaponsmith,rifleman and so on .Heck back then most did not care about jedi because SoE said 1)it will be very hard 2)very few jedis on each server(one hint even stated they doubt any server anytime will have more then 10 jedis) 3)permadeath.

But when a hoarde of FS chars started to appear many wanted their cute jedi as it became clear that very few SoE spoke off was rubbish.

Well this of course is just my view of the game.I will not be renewing my sub which expires in 3 weeks time.But i am happy i returned because SWG was one of those games i always had high hopes and loved the idea.If i did not i would always wonder what i could be missing.

Back to CoH for me

• flabairflabair Member Posts: 188

En1Gma, you didnt metion anything about Crafting, have they fixed any of the crafting. they were changing resourses at a spot almost every day sometimes. have they stopped changing the land masses from mountains to plains.

• TookyGTookyG Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,115

Originally posted by flabair

En1Gma, you didnt metion anything about Crafting, have they fixed any of the crafting. they were changing resourses at a spot almost every day sometimes. have they stopped changing the land masses from mountains to plains.

They've never changed the land masses, hills/mountains have always been hills/mountains and plains have always been plains.

A specific resource will stay for 5-14 days, sometimes longer, and then shift away.  No specific resource shifts every day but at least 1 resource leaves during a 24 hour period...generally one that has been there for 5-14 days. image

Until you cancel your subscription, you are only helping to continue the cycle of mediocrity.

•   - About any LAG problems and issues in SWG..... make sure you have enough memory. The memory specs have long ago changed! When SWG first came out, minimum memory specs were 256 megs. With 512 megs recommended. Right now at current time the minimum is 512 megs with 1 Gig recommended for best results. (Having more than 1 Gig is even better. image ) I strongly suggest you have 1 gig memory to play SWG. If you have less, then go to the options menu and make sure everything is turned down. Distance view, ground detail, number of foliage, foliage detail, etc... etc...

But still, basically, if anyone wants to play SWG right now at current time, they MUST have 1 Gigabyte of memory. image image image

- About anyone thinking the game is lying when it shows the server population numbers, then when you enter the game you seem to see only 4 players. The game is not lying. There is MORE to the story:

SWG has between 4 TO 8 TIMES THE PLAYABLE SURFACE AREA OF EVERQUEST. Each planet in SWG is roughly equal in playable landsurface to the entire EQ game! If you or anyone thinks SWG feels "empty" go Play EQ right now and many zones are empty (no players and no NPCs either LOL!). EQ feels even more "empty" than SWG, and EQ has far more accounts than SWG. Technically SWG has even more players than EQ since SWG is SCS. (Heck, SWG might even have the most individuale players out of every single MMORPG out, including Lineage, and mule ridden Final Fantasy, because of SWG being SCS,)

In SWG it is intended for players to join/form PA's aka Player Associations. At the official site at station.com every server has its own forum. At the top of each server forum is a special stickied section for all active PA's to post and recruite. Every 1-3 months it is cleared to make sure only active PA's are posting.

- About "lack of music in SWG". This "criticism" about SWG has been brought up before. I've responded by saying 2 things:

1. Name a single other MMORPG that has music continously playing non-stop? There are none. Zero. Not even EQ has music continously playing non-stop as players wander around the game. In terms of most music, IMHO Anarchy Online has the most because of every night club having cool and different Techno/Trance/Industrial music playing.

2. Buy the Star Wars soundtrack on CD, (1 movie, or all 5 movies heheh.) or Tape, put it in your tapedeck and play it while you play if you desire to have a SW music playing continously while playing. Many MMORPG game DEVs lament that having longer periods of music defeats itself because after the first 5 to 50 times players hear it, they get tired of it. Then will turn it off and put on their own choice of music on their stereo or off the internet. Then all the DEVs music work goes to waste, the memory the music takes up in the game and on CD goes to waste. Case in point..... how many of you still watch the NICE cinematics and music while playing Diablo 2? How about after seeing them for the 20th time? Everytime you press the ESC button to bypass it, an entire CD worth of music and cinematics goes to waste LOLOL!

- Finally, it is all about having your own fun. I personally play with a group of 3-12 friends on each server I am on. I have plenty of fun with them and it does not matter if no other players other than us are in a city, or planet. Sometimes I even play solo, and have no worries if I see 4 live players during my travels.

I will say and admit the mishandling of the Jedi game features has serioiusly messed up the game. In fact, SWG was doing better before Jedi were officially introduced. From a sales POV, as well as from a gamer POV ......SWG was doing better before Jedi. image image

=========================
    ======= SIGNATURE =========
    =========================
    MMORPG games I've played:
    -------------------------
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor

Star Wars Galaxies:
    -------------------
    http://community.webshots.com/user/capt_xplororor

More games:
    -----------
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor_archives01

• panachepanache Member UncommonPosts: 397

Heya Explor welcome back :)

Sorry mate you are wrong about music missing from all mmorpg's. Daoc after the shrouded isles expansion had constant music playing. Nice soft guitar strummings while sneaking around emain was cool...and i never turned it off. :)

You are probably right about swg having a larger playing area...but by god its's empty. Not even empty towns and empty vendors on the moons. I swear all the moons are the same but with  different lighting /wink

Without nicking Enigmas thread, here's my take on my swg revival.

After trying Tempest as my old daoc buddy was there he invited me into his guild. This promptly went tits up and he and a few others formed a break away guild. He promptly left this guild and joined another breakaway guild. He has now joined the afk holo'ers and even tho been online, has been afk for weeks. So much for old time loyalties. No point hanging around there so back to Eclipse.

I have joined a guild on Eclipse. Unfortunately these players are another bunch of holo grinders. One mastered artisan in a day to carry on and master armoursmith. Again boring soloing awaits.

I visited the geno cave Friday...it was my only 3rd time there. Our group of 3 myself a bh, a rifleman and a novice tka managed to get to a room and eagerly awaited what would pop. After a few kills a master TKA popped up and immediately started to hit the same mob we had engaged. I asked him if he wouldn't do that and take turns, even offering him the next pop to which he killed, and the next, and next..... ad infinitum.  He explained his need to loot was because "he had a business to keep" and told us he didn't intend for us to get one claim on a kill.

This is what really annoyed me.... A group of 3 couldn't outdamage a single player and claim a kill....talk about combat inbalances. We did not claim one right to loot as he dealed 3 X's the damage we did alone.

Reaching the top of my chosen profession i could probably be happier in this solo afk world if maybe i could venture out and kill a few nice creatures and claim a few ornaments for my house but i can't even do that!

Oh and don't remind me of the guy who pounced on every corpse to loot who was armed the entire time there with a fishing pole!

......Damn! i reminded myself!

Pan

• cerebrixcerebrix Member UncommonPosts: 566

people still listen to game music? every since i got xm radio on my pc, i completely stopped listening to game music, even when i play fps games.

Games i'm playing right now...

"In short, I thought NGE was a very bad idea" - Raph Koster talking about NGE on his blog at raphkoster.com

• FarseenFarseen Member UncommonPosts: 344

Some contradictions to your updates: image

Server: Lowca   Profession: Marksman/Scout - Heading for Squad Leader/Rifleman

1. I experience some lag, but not nearly as much as your saying. I run on a router with 3 people, and a DSL line and the lag isn't bad at all, even in cities. Well at least, for me.

2. I see absolutely TONS of people. When in Theeds, i counted at least 50 just in the main city, all talking to each other, trading, or dueling it out between Rebels and Imperials. When i venture out to the outskirts of theeds to fight some Hunter Shaupauts i see little camp sites here and there, and groups of around 3 or 4 people always hunting something.

3. Vehicle customization works completely fine for me, i have had no problems. A cool effect, but annoying, is that it fades away after a couple days. I also believe bikes lose health too fast. Mounts are cool though =) (still awaiting my dewback's full growth)

4. Computer AI is amazing now! Some cool things ive experiences in my 3rd day of game play:
            a. I said "Long Live The Rebellion" and an imperial officer heard me and ran up and charged me 10k worth of credits. (VERY annoying, but cool too)
            b. I was fighting outside of Mos Eisley yesterday and randomly an imperial star ship dropped down near me and let off 15 Storm Troopers and 1 Officer in command/recruiter for no reason. They were just patrolling. (Now THATS when i say 'wow, now this is star wars')
            c. I was searched by an imperial for any illegal goods. (this really gives a cool purpose for smugglers and adds some adrenaline rushes to their day)

So all in all, after returning to SWG form its first release months, all fresh without anyone's help. i am EXTREMELY impressed!

-Farseen-
    " Faruka ! "

- Farseen

Current Game: Panzar

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Crafting:

Well, I decided to hang my republic pistol and flamethrower and decided to don a work Apron to be an Armorsmith.

Since someone mentioned what i htought about crafting here it is:

Pros:

These days if you join a PA and you say "Im thinking about becoming an Armorsmith", PA members will come to you in droves, dropping off steel, ore, chemicals, fiberplast etc.  its crazy.  Right now I have 56,000 Fiberplast; 47,000 ore; 24,000 steel; 54,000 aliminum and others as well as tons of hide scales, wool, etc. and I hadn't even lifted up a survey scanner yet

Im up to Chitin Armorsmith (started at 11:00 PM CST last night from this post) so Ive been grinding fast.  I set up a nice mmacro and I have all my supplies to last to Master Armorsmith.

COns: Its dam boring.  I mean BORING lol.  If i make another armorweave segment I will take my rifle up off from above my fireplace and go postal.  So far i made about 850 chemical extractors and 1500 armorweave and used up over 34,000 metal in the process

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• sidebustersidebuster Member UncommonPosts: 1,712
    It seems you and I reoped our accounts at the same time, can you tell me how to join a PA cause i just started on Lowca and already made a friend and talked to a guy in the cantina that actually lived a city away from me. Anyways, wondering how I get in cause i herd somone post somthing about (i think it was you) you have to have interviews and a "see if he is worth memeber" time. How do I go about doing all this? Thanks in advance

• Pr0tag0ni5tPr0tag0ni5t Member UncommonPosts: 259
    I have been playing Galaxies since launch and I originally played on lowca, but got some friends of mine playing and started over on ahazi. I think anyone who claims to not see anyone to go to coronet on corellia or the mining outpost on dantoonie. I think you'll find plenty of people there. To address the lag issue, it lags because of the sheer number of people logged in. I'll agree that most of the people on each server are in one of these 2 areas, making the game rather unbalanced (I've never had a reason to go anywhere but corellia and dantoonie), but there are ton of people playing. Also, I've went through a time where the game became extremely boring to the point i hated it. I tried to find something else to play (mmorpg), but found myself comparing everything to SWG and none of it impressing me. Final Fantasy xi I thought was great, but if you want to talk about no players in starting cities, that game wins the award. Also forget trying to communicate with anyone also cumbersome as the the movement. Well thanks for reading this. Only wrote this because I think SWG gets a bad rap and outside of this website has won numerous awards.

In other mmorpg's i haved played people are invited into a guild because "they have been a fun cool to group with"

With SWG most i have talked to they have said you will need to attend a few hunts with them to see if you fit in with guild or most importantly they like you! If you have a mate you group with a lot ask him if you can join his pa, he will probably mention the above then it's a case of wait and see. Some guilds will say they only accept elite professions

You can also troll the server forums you are on and look for pa's that are openly recruiting. Just reply to there thread or email the person ingame.

I recently have been dabbling on Tempest. I spotted a guy with a UK sounding tag and yes he was a brit :) He belongs to a very small UK pa. I thought they would be interested in accepting a fellow brit into a small guild on a server predominated by americans.

Again there prerequisites are...

Attend a group outing to see if you are acceptable!

Have an Elite profession!

Pay 30k a month to the guild!

Very friendly yes??? !

As enigma has said a crafter of sorts would be snapped up into a pa....especially a commited on to the craft. In all honesty belonging to a pa or guild isn't so as important as other games in SWG. There are no really expensive items unless you want the real uber weapons...and these are not necessary for pve play. Some people make a million credits a day. I mastered bounty hunter with normal weps and never wore armour.

Pan

• sidebustersidebuster Member UncommonPosts: 1,712
    are you sure 30k is a typo? If not, that PA is asking a lot (badwords flowing threw my mind) maybe it is just that I am still a lowbie and starting out with barely 3k credits to my name. I just got a job though from a doctor asking me to hunt for her. 5cpu she offers with free buffs. !!! I don't know why I said that, is that comming to get a job like that from a fellow player?

Yes 30k a month is right. I have been a member of one township (unguilded) and had a house in another guilds town and there fee has been 2k a month.

Must be something to do with the pound sterling to republican credit exchange rate image

Credits aren't that hard to come by....once you learn how and where. Don't spend money on unecessary items such as armour and in all my time as a chap going for master bh i never once got myself buffed.

Enjoy your doctor friends buffs and if you harvest meat give it to her...it will help with her doc business :)

Pan

Originally posted by sidebuster
    are you sure 30k is a typo? If not, that PA is asking a lot (badwords flowing threw my mind) maybe it is just that I am still a lowbie and starting out with barely 3k credits to my name. 

It depends on what they're giving you in return.  If you are just paying 30k in and get nothing free or on discount or are not in a player city then there's no reason to pay 30k a month.

Being a part of a player city may justify the 30k a month though.  The city hall alone at the start of a city costs 35k a week.  Now, as the population of the city goes up and it goes up in rank the cost of the city hall increases.  Not to mention every other civic structure and skill trainer costs money every week.

Now if they're giving you free weapons or other services, I'd say 30k a week is a nice fee provided you are getting at least 30k worth of services from them.

Perhaps you could see what services the guild needs yet, if any, and provide it for the guild?  Maybe in turn you'll get some kickbacks.

Until you cancel your subscription, you are only helping to continue the cycle of mediocrity.

Originally posted by sidebuster
    are you sure 30k is a typo?

I stay away from 30K a month guilds.  I am not saying its bad or anything.  I am currently paying 8K amonth plus property tax which is fine since everyone in my PA gives me materials when needed to craft things.

If you get a good PA, you wont feel bad giving money away monthly.  Some PAs (like mine) will craft and slice weapons for free (good stats too)

So the payout isnt so bad and those monies go to the PA to make a better town, more materials, etc

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• ZimokZimok Member Posts: 266

you can blame player cities for not seeing alot of people in the towns

damn you soe

---------------------------------
    Zimok - PS - Emerald
    Zimok - SWG - Bloodfin

• zimquatszimquats Member Posts: 301

I dont see what the real deal is about 30k fees.   It might be alot for a new player, but i can get that in 1 mission, it will take me about 5 mins.

With inflation what it is, and as long as you like the PA, pay whatever to build a nice city.

I agree enigma, it goes to make a better town, I would pay 100k if my pa asked no problem.  Really is only 20 mins of playing or 4 missions.

Well from what I gathered he doesn't really have the 30K to throw around right now.  I'm sure once he advances a bit he will be able to get the missions that pay more than 1K and start seeing a good cash flow.

• danofsavagedanofsavage Member Posts: 18

I'm interested in what you're going to say about SWG. I'm assuming that you will be posting your comments on these forums though... But, good luck in youe endevours and I hope for the sake of anyone considering playing SWG that it has improved. I unfortunately am not even going to look at the box. Good luck though! I'm surpised though, that anyone actually played long enough to have two jedis! image 

Originally posted by danofsavage

I'm interested in what you're going to say about SWG. I'm assuming that you will be posting your comments on these forums though... But, good luck in youe endevours and I hope for the sake of anyone considering playing SWG that it has improved. I unfortunately am not even going to look at the box. Good luck though! I'm surpised though, that anyone actually played long enough to have two jedis! image 

I didnt play that long...I quite back in January.  Then I bought a new account 3 weeks ago.  Also I didn't unlock two Jedi....my wife unlocked one and I unlocked one.

And we both did it in under 12 professions (unlike the current trend of 32 lol).  Also, we both had a head start because we both knew the Jedi unlock was going to be mastering professions (we found out on a website back in July....other people slammed the poster's theory because the poster said he used to work for SOE and got fired due to cutbacks so he held a grudge. People called him a liar but my wife and I decided to give it a shot.)

We were one of the first two people to unlock them on Starsider (not the very first two...but def. the first 12 people)

If you go to the official boards and look wayyyyyyy back in the Jedi forums, youll see when people post the multiple profession mastery theory and how fast they got flamed lol

ahhhhhh well, at least we got a new Ford Focus out of the deal (a good down desposit anyways lol)

but with that aside....im not playing for Jedi now...Im playing to roleplay and to enjoy it...and I have to say I am enjoying it so far

Hope i don't sound like a "know it all" but mastering a set amount of random professions seems the easiest and less hastle route of unlocking the ffs slot...i always expected it. The route they took is an easier way than having a profession each with a dynamic quest x32 times with all the inherent bugs that would be there.

I've since been giving serious thought of giving up the bh title i have held since Christmas. As i unfortunately never found a community/guild whatever that keep me interested in the game with laughs and guild hunts i have come to this conclusion..

I may as well drop bh and try a melee class. At least i will have the "grind" to actually give me something to do.

Pan