Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What RuneScape is being UNFAIRLY accused of.

LlamsterLlamster Member Posts: 234

Everyone knows that Runescape has bad graphics. Everyone says that Runescape has bad music. This, in my opinion, is a very biased statement. While Runescape's music, as of now, is not quite as good as that of mainstream MMORPGs, it is at the very least comparable to them. Some of you who shed the music in a negative light may have been correct a year ago, but a while ago Runescape's music was greatly improved. I would ask that, before you post, please log on to Runescape, turn on your speakers, and listen for about 10 seconds.

Runescape's music has many different instruments playing within each song. The sounds come from a massive digital sound bank that recorded its sound from several staff members of Jagex dedicated to Runescape's sound, each one with degrees in music and decades of experience. The songs are also well-composed and very catchy, which may make up for its slightly lesser quality.

IF YOU HAVE NOT LOGGED ON TO RUNESCAPE SINCE MARCH 31, 2007, YOU DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO POST.

Have played: RuneScape, EQ2 (free trial), Last Chaos, Silk Road, Dungeon Runners.
Currently playing: RuneScape, Dungeon Runners.

The notion that graphics, or anything else for that matter, are anywhere near as important as gameplay/fun is so utterly ridiculous that anyone who shares such a view should be placed in an asylum.

Comments

• FlaxenFairyFlaxenFairy Member Posts: 44

Hey Mate,

Gonna have to agree, yet disagree, whilst the music has it bad points, people dont play for the music they play for the enjoyment of the game. I mean i played for a while and got bored, but i will admit it is one of the only MMO's that has many different and in depth skills, it has that going for it.

I believe if runescape was not broswer based, with better graphics and a high quality downloadable client with some graphic and gameplay tweaks it could be better  

MMO's, were made for fun, not for people to sit indoors and not socialize, make sure you maintain a healthy outdoor life away from your computer.

Hope My Advise Helps

FlaxenFairy 2007

DOUBLE POSTERS WILL BE SHOT - PLEASE DO NOT - FLAME - SPAM - SWEAR - HIJACK -

FLAXENFAIRY 2007- HELPTING TO KEEP MMORPG.COM A SAFER PLACE FOR ALL

• AkaJetsonAkaJetson Member Posts: 1,167

yes i sort of agree there is alot of music that is very catchy and sounds for almost everything you do.

?

• sonicboysonicboy Member Posts: 3

4 or 5 Instruments!!??? Thats it. Heck when my dad was growing up he and his friend can sound like a whole band with 2 people. And the instruments are as follows: electric piano,vocal,backup vocal, bass piano, electric guitar and drums all with 2 people. Bet the runscape bands can't do that. Man runscape cant do squwat!! The oonly exeption they have are probably the songs that require an orchestra... but still the music still slow and boring. so falsely accused? I say its true.

• NazarosNazaros Member Posts: 215

You can't compare Runescape with any mainstream MMO. I played it a few months, and got bored.

But if you take it for what it is: It is the absolute best java game ever made. Period.

Now if you compare RS with WoW and those 3D engine behemot, you're simply insane or just trolling. You wouldn't compare a dodge car to a Ferrari right? Get a clue damn it...

What deserves to be done, deserves to be "well" done...

• important689important689 Member Posts: 2

man i disagree with u on the music.  The music is just horrible.  I  mean comon u gotta get some sense though ya  head and say the music is JUST BAD.  I agree on the graphics before they sucked and now after they updated them they got alot better .

• zinkthegamerzinkthegamer Member Posts: 13

i know why the hell is rs being accused of all this bull it makes me mad!

Plays:
    Urbandead
    Outbreak
    Runescape
    WoW
    Jail Riot
    Unification Wars

only thing i hate are the pots

Plays:
    Urbandead
    Outbreak
    Runescape
    WoW
    Jail Riot
    Unification Wars

Originally posted by zinkthegamer

only thing i hate are the pots

You mean bots, right?

?

no

Plays:
    Urbandead
    Outbreak
    Runescape
    WoW
    Jail Riot
    Unification Wars

• newyork_punknewyork_punk Member Posts: 33

Dude Runescape has the worst music I have ever herd....They should put in some symphonic metal to keep they whole musical theme going. Old people have to learn that kid's like meaner sounding music...not crud that makes you fall asleep. Runescape staff have to figure out that their graphics stink pretty bad...XD They put me to sleep as it is. The music just adds to it.

Originally posted by newyork_punk

Dude Runescape has the worst music I have ever herd....They should put in some symphonic metal to keep they whole musical theme going. Old people have to learn that kid's like meaner sounding music...not crud that makes you fall asleep. Runescape staff have to figure out that their graphics stink pretty bad...XD They put me to sleep as it is. The music just adds to it.

Obviously they know there graphics arent the same as newer mmorpgs, thats because the game is made out of java.

?

• LordDeemsLordDeems Member Posts: 10

keep playing runescape and look at yourself 5 years from now, still playing runescape and paranoid about clicking on any .exe I just gotta say good luck =)

Arbiter to the 7Knights

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

You know a mid size casio keyboard from say 1991, and you press the "demo" button.... well thats the equivilent of RS music. You better off tapping a ruler on your desk and humming out off tune.

• newyork_punknewyork_punk Member Posts: 33

Ha thats so true.

• mriceman450mriceman450 Member Posts: 1

right runescape has good music and bad music. but i havnt heard anyone complain about poor music (but i like some of it). runescape is mostly accused of bad graphics..  

• GameMaster09GameMaster09 Member Posts: 9

I like the runescape music its very peaceful some of it and it helps me concentrate. Although I dont play it often, usually when im bored, too see updates, and do the holiday events. It is a good game for people who are new to MMO's.

• BobCrazytonBobCrazyton Member UncommonPosts: 2,117

Nope, Runescapes graphics and music sucks. I mean, I guess they're good if you compare them with the rest of the game, but even then they're still horrible.

Originally posted by mriceman450

runescape is mostly accused of bad graphics..  

I love how deep in denile you Runescape fanboys are. Runescape is "accused" of just.....SUCKING. They could upgrade the graphics to next-gen and people would still spit all over it.

• Greenday6212Greenday6212 Member Posts: 15

Its written in java you asshole

Gr33nd/\y6212

Nice guys finish last.

Originally posted by Greenday6212

some people just dont understand that idk y...

?

Originally posted by Greenday6212

No sh*t? Hmm.....well thar's a little tid bit of information that I, nor anybody else knew about.

Since I just found this out, mabey the graphics will look a little less like throw up.

*logs onto runescape*

Nope. I still want to gouge my eyes out.

• NightowljrmNightowljrm Member Posts: 4

I agree thoroughly. RuneScape really doesn't get the credit it so rightfully deserves.

~|*Nightowljrm*|~
    www.freewebs.com/nightowljrmhq

• LlamsterLlamster Member Posts: 234
    Originally posted by BobCrazyton

Originally posted by mriceman450

runescape is mostly accused of bad graphics..  

I love how deep in denile you Runescape fanboys are. Runescape is "accused" of just.....SUCKING. They could upgrade the graphics to next-gen and people would still spit all over it.

I do realize that the game's pretty much crap technology-wise. It's just that the music, while not incredible, is better than what many people make it.

Have played: RuneScape, EQ2 (free trial), Last Chaos, Silk Road, Dungeon Runners.
    Currently playing: RuneScape, Dungeon Runners.

The notion that graphics, or anything else for that matter, are anywhere near as important as gameplay/fun is so utterly ridiculous that anyone who shares such a view should be placed in an asylum.

• Razputin50Razputin50 Member Posts: 4

Runescape may have its bad points (graphics and sound) and its good points (gameplay, in-depth skills) and its ugly points (Jagex Customer Support) but it is overall a good game that promises improvement. I believe the only thing wrong with the game is the frickin community (LOTS of angry ppl here) and battle system.

• M-ToeM-Toe Member Posts: 12

Runescape feels like an introduction to MMORPGs, to me.  It shows you all of the basics, and how everything works, at it's most basic form (combat for example).

The ability to be an expert combatant, mage, and archer all at the same time is like playing rock, paper, scissors.  It's just too plain, and that is why i think it loses the attention of the PvP gamers.  Well, that and the fact that you have to be in "the wilderness" to do anything against another player.

The only reason, i think, that the economy of runescape isn't totally messed up, is that the people who are playing this game are too lazy to get their skills to 99 to make full rune, or a dragonstone necklace, and that the ones who are able to do that are members and have full dragon, so they don't need to make anything for funds.

To be more on topic; i completely agree with you, Nazaros.  You can't compare Runescape to World of Warcraft, Lord of the Rings Online, or even Conquer online.  Each one of these games has a different target.  It has nothing to do with what language the code is in, or weather it is 3D or not. 

Look at World of Warcraft.  World of Warcraft is with out a doubt in my mind, the most popular MMORPG in existance as of right now.  Who does it target?  People who are old enough to pay for it (16-18+).  I'm not saying there aren't little 10 year olds begging their parents for money, I'm just saying, that is who WoW targets.  And it does it's job very effectively (not that you didn't know that)  with the endless ammount of quests, the numerous zones.  I would state something about it's PvP, but i haven't played WoW enough. 

Now look at LotRO.  It has no PvP, a very beautiful realistic (fictional, though it may be) landscape, and again the insane quantity of quests, and the Book quests.  Who do you think this is targetting?  LotRO fanbois?  Well, yes, but that isn't the only demographic.  The more mature, more prone to RP, fan base is going to be more attracted to this game.  You can't RP very well while someone is hacking away at you. 

Now, back to runescape.  Who is it targetting? Lets make our equation.  It has a very, very simple user interface.  I mean, a three year old can find their way around that.  The very calm, serene textures.  More pleasing to the 5 year old eye?  Look at blues clues, or teletubbies.  There isn't much action goin' on in the grass (is it even grass or just a green.. layer?).  I'm not saying that runescape has the graphics it has, because of the limits of Java, i'm saying that it was meant to be like this.  Another variable; the system requirements.  What, 32 mb of ram, a p2, no hard drive space required?   This seems like a reasonable computer for a child, don't you think?  membership fee: 5$ a month.  Common, who doesn't buy toys for their toddlers? do you think five dollars is far off the cost of toys?  The quests hold your hand, and the "newbie island" is an insult to anyone who has ever played an MMO.  No, close your mouth, don't hit quote, just read.  I know most games have some form of "newbie island", but they don't hold your hand like this one does.  Sure, LotRO has the whole snow thing, but it isn't teaching you how to click a tree to chop it down.. 

Now let's look at our equation.  simple UI + calm textures + low system requirements +low monthly fee(optional) = our target.  Now solve for x.  Do you honestly think this game is for anyone over 18?  It had it's time.  We all played it and loved it, but just because you realize what a waste of time it seemed like doesn't mean that you have to flame the crap out of it.  If you didn't play it, then you have no business critiqueing it, so GTFO MF.