Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WAR Novels

I am playing this game because I am a very long follower of Mythic but, thus this summer I have had nothing to do and wont have anything to do for awhile. I am thinking of picking up a WAR novel, are they good? Has anyone read them? Any suggestions? Where would one start? I know nothing of the lore.

Comments

• LucifrankLucifrank Member Posts: 355
    Originally posted by Shadow4482

I am playing this game because I am a very long follower of Mythic but, thus this summer I have had nothing to do and wont have anything to do for awhile. I am thinking of picking up a WAR novel, are they good? Has anyone read them? Any suggestions? Where would one start? I know nothing of the lore.

I would recommend Gotrek & Felix by William King. I may be getting the author's name wrong, but a simple search for Gotrek and Felix'll put you on the right path. It follows a bloodthirsty dwarf and his human companion on their adventures through the Warhammer world. I thought the books were amazingly well written and give a solid example of Warhammer's ability to marry humor with an extremely bleak, violent, hack-and-slash kind of world. I'd recommend picking up GOTREK & FELIX - THE FIRST OMNIBUS. It's the first three novels about these characters and arguably the best. I was able to get this collection a while back through Amazon for under 10 bucks and it'll definitely satiate and whet your appetite for WAR at the same time!
  • Thunder_HeadThunder_Head Member Posts: 304

I'd take a look at Realms of Chaos. From back when Warhammer wasn't exactly for the kiddies.

• EllisterEllister Member Posts: 128

Originally posted by Lucifrank

Originally posted by Shadow4482

I would recommend Gotrek & Felix by William King. I may be getting the author's name wrong, but a simple search for Gotrek and Felix'll put you on the right path. It follows a bloodthirsty dwarf and his human companion on their adventures through the Warhammer world. I thought the books were amazingly well written and give a solid example of Warhammer's ability to marry humor with an extremely bleak, violent, hack-and-slash kind of world. I'd recommend picking up GOTREK & FELIX - THE FIRST OMNIBUS. It's the first three novels about these characters and arguably the best. I was able to get this collection a while back through Amazon for under 10 bucks and it'll definitely satiate and whet your appetite for WAR at the same time!

Gotrek and Felix by William King (well the first say 6 o7 f them) Starting with Trollslayer, yeah they are good they are my first walk into WH fantasy, as im a WH40k reader normally, im on the 3rd book Demonslayer and im enjoining them well so far. As a 40k redaer I know the author Dan Abnett writes extremely well books (Gaunts Ghosts, Eisenhorn, Ravenor to name a few) wo Im looking at the Maleus  Darkblade books next, i expect them to be good!

• ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497

I'd also have to reccomend the Gotrek & Felix series (available in 3 omnibus versions, which includes 3 books each - 9 in total I believe). Just finished the first omnibus, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer & Demonslayer and I'm about to start the second set. My only concern is that one of the books further along (Orcslayer I think) is written by a different author, will have to see how that goes.

Anyway, this series captures a lot of the flavor of Warhammer really well and are a very fun read, luckily, as I've found a few of the other warhammer seris/ novels to be a bit subpar.  Unfortunately they've only made me more excited about WAR and have made the wait that much harder rather than just helping to pass the time.

• SkylesSkyles Member Posts: 118

At the top of my list are:

"Fell Cargo" by Dan Abnet

"Forged in Battle" by Justin Hunter

"The Ambassador" and "Ursun's Teeth" by Graham McNeill

"Grudge Bearer" by Gav Thorpe

"With Hunter", "Witch Finder", and "Witch Killer" byC.L. Werner

• deplorabledeplorable Member Posts: 418

There's definately a long list of novels, i'd check out the "Black Library" itself.. and see if anything interests you.

I really enjoyed the free warhammer novel "Mark of Chaos" you got with the collectors edition from that game, which was worth £20, because i'd have definately have paid £5.99 for the novel in itself.

http://www.blacklibrary.com/default.asp

Some 40K ones are awesome too, such as "Horus Rising"

• defenestratedefenestrate Member CommonPosts: 578

Definitly Gotrek & Felix!!!

• DreamsIn3DDreamsIn3D Member Posts: 86

I just really want the game out now

• GresloreGreslore Member Posts: 243

I am currently reading Gotrek and Felix: First Omnibus.  As someone else said, its a collection of the first three novels in the series.  A very quick, easy, and fun read.  Gotrek is one bad mofo!

"...and with that cryptic comment, I'm off to bed!"

• SwordmanSwordman Member Posts: 57

Minor nitpick:

It's not WAR novels. WAR is the abbrivation for Warhammer Age of Reconing, which is the game currently under development. You're looking for Warhammer novels.

It's a bit like asking for Age of Conan novels or, god forbid, LotR: Shadows of Angmar novels ;)

• VargrRikardsVargrRikards Member Posts: 38

If it's the lore you want to learn the novels may not be the best way.

The army books for WHFB are a great resource.  For the general history of the Empire (which will give you a humanocentric view of the whole world) you could try WHRP. 

But if you want to read some enjoyable tales the Gotrek and Felix books are very good (sounds like a cult in this thread).

Fell Cargo was fun, pirates and whatnot, but not a stellar novel and no real lore.

Witch Hunter was great.  Witch Finder was good.  Witch Killer disappointed me a bit.  It lacked the zealotry of the first book.

There was a comic book, Warhammer Monthly or somesuch, that is out of print, I think.  Might be able to find back issues.  Good info there.

Good luck, happy hunting.

This situation calls for a judicious application of elemental psychology and extreme violence