Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Classless MMOs

GreenChaosGreenChaos Member Posts: 2,268

Can some of you “I've played them all – MMO geeks” tell me if there are and good classless MMOs out there.  With a wide selection of skills, in which someone cam make their own class.  Already out MMOs – so that rules out Darkfall.

Comments

• RehmesRehmes Member Posts: 600

Only clasless game ive played enough to talk about is EvE. Not for eveyone but they do have a 14 day trial.

• gpettgpett Member Posts: 1,105

Dungeon runners.

• MrArchyMrArchy Member Posts: 643

Classless MMOs - Star Wars Galaxies comes to mind.  And Sony Online Entertainment has even less class than that garbage scow of a game.

..........oh, now I see what you meant!  Nevermind! LOL!

SWG Veteran and Refugee, Intrepid server
    NGE free as of Nov. 22, 2005
    Now Playing: World of Warcrack
    Forum Terrorist

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Well..........

Theres Ryzom. Totally skill based. Custom skills and player created content.

Since you didn't put any restrictions on the age of the game there are a few more....

UO. Total skill based, do what you want.

Asheron's Call. Again, skill based, build your character how you want.

Someone already listed EVE......

Pretty sad how short that list is....

Good luck.

• GreenChaosGreenChaos Member Posts: 2,268

Thanks Torak  good list.

• vajurasvajuras Member Posts: 2,860

yeah its real sad how short the list is

pirates is coming out soon which is most original MMO Ive seen on paper besides Darkfall / EVE

Starport is classless

someone already said Ryzom

• vajurasvajuras Member Posts: 2,860

wurm online is also classless I think

Two Worlds (I know im breaking the truse cause it not out) is also Skill Based. PC version will be MMO. has offline content as well might be okay

Voyage century might be skill based havent played yet

Fury is skill based and is in beta. shouldnt be hard to get into.

• Eve.  Saga of Ryzom. Ultima Online.  Are completely classes and skill based.  Eve is also ship/load based.  Saga of Ryzom is skill based and allows you to essentially make your own feats (of course the pallette you make feats from is pretty standard, but its still cool)

Neocron is skill based but you also choose your "race", its sort of an inbetween.  Race determines max stats and stats determine how much of certain skills you can have.  For example the combat oriented race cannot get much of the Psi stat and therefore will  always be limited to the lowest tier of psi powers and the Psi Monk race can get the best Psi powers, but is only ever Ok with guns.  Its important to understand that both stats and skills determine what items you can use.  So certain high end guns or armor can never be used by a psi monk character.  Some guns can be used by a Psi monk who puts every single point he can into Hand guns, but will be very rare for most other psi monks.  Etc.

The Neocron system is interesting in that it is a true skill type system like the other three above, but it also have hard predetermined limits.  Ie. you can never make a tank/mage (say max guns and max psi) because of the racial limits.  You might be able to make a really tough Psi Monk and it doesn't guarantee balance of course, but it does allow for a sort of area of coverage for each race archetype making certain combination impossible but allowing for a high degree of personal variance.

Guild Wars is interesting as well.  It is a class based system.  But the meaning of class and the system itself is so different that lumping it into WoW/EQ style class systems is a mistake.  It is much more like Neocron, it offers a high degree of variation wihtin limits.  It just comes from the other angle using classes and feats rather than races and skills.  Being a Ranger in Guild Wars means very little to a player, its about kind of feat build you are using.  And considering there are literally 100's of different Ranger builds that accomplish radically different things.  Well it should be obvious that it is different.

• JADEDRAG0NJADEDRAG0N Member Posts: 733
    Originally posted by gestalt11

Eve.  Saga of Ryzom. Ultima Online.  Are completely classes and skill based.  Eve is also ship/load based.   

Errr Eve dont have classes 

• WagonerWagoner Member UncommonPosts: 92

Use google and look up UO there are some really good servers.

• SpathisSpathis Member Posts: 79

Not that i play the game. But isnt Runescape classless aswell?

Currently Playing: Metal Gear Online, Call of Duty 4, Grand Theft Auto 4, Oblivion. (Taking a break from MMO's)

• ThisIsTheDayThisIsTheDay Member Posts: 9

^ runescape = classless

Good luck finding one that has good graphics though.

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Originally posted by vajuras

wurm online is also classless I think

Two Worlds (I know im breaking the truse cause it not out) is also Skill Based. PC version will be MMO. has offline content as well might be okay

Voyage century might be skill based havent played yet

Fury is skill based and is in beta. shouldnt be hard to get into.

Two worlds looks interesting. I'm not to sure how its working out though. Its been released here in Europe for about a month or two and I don't hear to much about it. I watched some gameplay on GTV for about 20 minutes and it looked pretty good. From what I understood, the guys playing it liked it but were not all that impressed with it. (My Germans not so good lol)

I'm not to sure I understand how the game "modes" are. I guess there is single, multiplay AND MMO mode.  

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/twoworlds/index.html 

• doinkermitdoinkermit Member Posts: 36

Dungeon Runners ,

you start out having to pick a class but you can get any skills you want (you buy skills)

and become anything you want, i am currently a dark assasin but my character started as a  ranger.

Currently Playing: GW
    Waiting For: Fury, AoC, GW:EN

• carpsycocarpsyco Member Posts: 95

I don't think runescape really has classes.

cmc.mrx.ca/
    Awesome Free Trading Card Game!

• LlamsterLlamster Member Posts: 234

Nope, Runescape has no official classes. I don't like classes anyway. What if I change my mind?

Have played: RuneScape, EQ2 (free trial), Last Chaos, Silk Road, Dungeon Runners.
    Currently playing: RuneScape, Dungeon Runners.

The notion that graphics, or anything else for that matter, are anywhere near as important as gameplay/fun is so utterly ridiculous that anyone who shares such a view should be placed in an asylum.