Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IF WoW dies to these next gen mmos, it will be great for blizz fans

Comments

• SignusMSignusM Member Posts: 2,225
    Originally posted by truenorthbg

Originally posted by retrospectic

I don't know if it will be the last WoW MMORPG.  I wish they would attempt a Sci-Fi MMORPG.  I have yet to play a Sci-Fi game that is fun for me.

Do yourself a huge favor, pick up SWG.  Try it.  It is 20 bucks, you should get a free month.  I love it!

No MMO out there offers what SWG offers in terms of customization, breath, the world, the sounds, the features.  It is not a game; it is a true world in every sense of the word.

How can you still play SWG? Its just a shadow of its former self. It's junk!

• Invinci_GalInvinci_Gal Member Posts: 43

I think WoW subscriptions have started to level off. Not that my own personal experience is any type of official survey or anything, but many of the people I know have grown tired of the grind and are ready for a change. The expansion brought a lot of more of the same things for them, and a lot of the expansion skills for certain classes were just plain terrible, while others were great, causing a lot of class imbalances. I've seen a lot of people leave WoW lately... but a few new ones coming back unhappy with other games on the market. In the end, I think it balances out and WoW is just holding steady.

While, I don't think any of the upcoming games will do any damage to WoW, they could put it in a negative subscription number slide for the first time since it's launch. I believe Blizzard is prepared for this though. They've been holding onto several Ace cards for some time for just such an occasion. Hero classes, player housing, etc. that they could suddenly patch in to draw players back. Although, I doubt it would do much good until they can figure out an alternative to the endless raiding of the WoW end game.

I think smaller niche games will suffer more from the release of the next series of MMOs than WoW will. Games already having difficulty holding players or who have just recently found themselves in an upswing of players due to a lack of quality competition outside of WoW.

• jerrybluejerryblue Member UncommonPosts: 39

Playd Wow since beta. I cant say wasnt a good game, i got alot of satisfaction, was a part of my life. I am still monitoring Wow evry week and i am tryng test servers evry time they anounce a new patch. I quitd Wow  2 times, first time soon after they changed paladin class in a nurse, second time 1 month after TBC because TBC is a masquarade. Nothng more to do there, Wow is to comercial. They got good sells in first TBC days goin to 8.5 milions subscribers. After 5-6 months of TBC wow cant pass the 9 kk subscribers. And you can see that in wow, no more new servers, most of all top guilds on servers disband day by day.  I played with a frend account few days ago tryng to talk with my wow frends, unbeliveble only few still play, most of them left because 1 reason, boring. IF you look in TBC cds you will realise that all cds ar full with old patches and only like 30% is the real TBC. TBC at release was just another piece of land with some mobs for grind, and quests to do, the principal atraction of TBC the new instances was implemented later with new patchs. Blizzzard sold only the skelet of TBC, if you want to play TBC you must wait 3-4 months after release, period  that you pay a fee/month. After TBC release the Blizz director sayd no more addons these year.  Thats why peopls left and will continue to go out, hapen in most of games, only the frendship and comunity at the end keep a mature player addictd.  Look at Lotr, i was beta tester, already peoples quit, same reason they dont want another wow. Lotr sold for 1.5 milions in first weeks for 1 reason - a damn nice epic story. The game is very weak in activity. After lvl 20-30 you already asking Wth i am doin here, i run out from World of Warcraft and now i am in World of Lotraft?

There is a revolution in mmos, most of all go f2p with item shop, Wow cartoon graphic is geting older, games like Fury, Aion,  Hellgate, Lineage3, Guild wars 2,...  made on Crytek or Unreal 2.5-3 graphic engine will force Blizz in 2008 merge servers. Thats the reason for not releasing Diablo 3 in mmo style, to much competition from other games, most of them f2p or only gamepack to buy, no fee. Starcraft 2 aint somthng new, is old Starcraft with  some new units and a better 3d. Old Starcraft players  espected that Starcraft 2 to be a combination of Alien vs Predator + Starship Troopers + Quaqe .. somthng like Hellgate or Tabula Rasha. If i wana play Starcraft2 i can play now after i instal old Starcraft, change music and create new maps.

Hope Vampire the masquerade mmo will be finishd soon if i am corect they anounced release 2009.

Till then good night World of Dawncraft players orvr you ar, your lvl up in age will be after you realise what meen quality and comercial.

• Maximous621Maximous621 Member Posts: 56

Everyone saying the new mmo's won't put a dent in WoW are just way to obsessed with WoW. I've been playing WoW for a long time and I am so damn bored of it. And saying AoC won't appeal to WoW players is just stupid! The second my buddy showed me a AoC movie on youtube i was hooked! Also i know plenty of my friends that play WoW that will be leaving to play AoC or WAR. However i do agree that WoW will probably stay strong for years to come, people will be leaving to play AoC or War (myself included).

As for blizzard making a new mmo, I would like to see "Universe of Starcraft (or something like that), but they will most likely work on making Diablo into an mmo first (if they even plan on making another mmo) because of StarCraft II.

• Osirus28Osirus28 Member Posts: 23
    I can't imagine WoW NOT having huge subscription numbers. AoC and WAR aren't enough to take that behemoth down. Now, AoC, WAR, Marvel Online, DC Comics online, and Bioware's MMO are... WoW's going down next year!!!!
  • IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

Originally posted by roadwarriors

Most  people have no interest in playing a game with no stealth, i.e. 1/3 of the mmorpg communitiy that plays rogues and scouts, and aoc won't appeal to the players who play WOW.

I don't know about you but I don't consider 1/3 to be "most" or anywhere close to majority.  I played wow, and my main was a rogue but I still played all the other alts and enjoyed myself. 

I really want to see what will become of you "stealth" players when all the "visible" people move on and you sit out in Alterac Valey with your rogue friends circle jerking because you can't find anybody to kill and hunting down other rogues becomes a pain.

The lack of stealth won't bother me and I doubt many other people will care either.  Further more I think many will applaud the lack of stealth.

Because of the sheer size of subscriptions that World of Warcraft has amassed coming into contact with the undesirable people be it you call them "noobs" or "eletists" becomes all that much more prevalent.  I felt I should throw that out there as well as "quantity does not equal quality"

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• davvindavvin Member UncommonPosts: 154

Originally posted by Invinci_Gal

I think WoW subscriptions have started to level off. Not that my own personal experience is any type of official survey or anything, but many of the people I know have grown tired of the grind and are ready for a change. The expansion brought a lot of more of the same things for them, and a lot of the expansion skills for certain classes were just plain terrible, while others were great, causing a lot of class imbalances. I've seen a lot of people leave WoW lately... but a few new ones coming back unhappy with other games on the market. In the end, I think it balances out and WoW is just holding steady.
    While, I don't think any of the upcoming games will do any damage to WoW, they could put it in a negative subscription number slide for the first time since it's launch. I believe Blizzard is prepared for this though. They've been holding onto several Ace cards for some time for just such an occasion. Hero classes, player housing, etc. that they could suddenly patch in to draw players back. Although, I doubt it would do much good until they can figure out an alternative to the endless raiding of the WoW end game.
    I think smaller niche games will suffer more from the release of the next series of MMOs than WoW will. Games already having difficulty holding players or who have just recently found themselves in an upswing of players due to a lack of quality competition outside of WoW.
    i don't know about anyone else, but for me personally if their numbers start to slide and then they "magically" come up with player housing and hero classes in a very short time, along with other things that a lot of players have been requesting/suggesting for 2-3 years, that won't make me come back to WOW, it'd actually make me pretty angry with Blizzard as a company. they couldn't take the time to give their game more depth while they didn't have any real competition, but after they lose some subscriptions then they add in stuff that players have been telling them would make the game more enjoyable for them since the beginning of the game. it would seem to me like they didn't give a damn about their players till they lost them, why would i want to play games from a company that doesn't care for their customers? that's what my reaction would be if that happened.

if WOW does lose a massive amount of players when AoC and WAR come out--which i wouldn't doubt one bit, you can bet that they will start working on their next MMO (if they haven't already). and i would expect that game to be pretty good--if they've learned from their mistakes with WOW. what i mean is, if instead of making a new and interesting MMO (even if it's based on an already established IP--like say Diablo) they just take WOW and slap it on a new game/IP, etc.

• MrtwistyMrtwisty Member Posts: 1

My 2 cents on this subject.

I have been playing mmorpg game ever since EQ and Asherons Call came out. To date I have played. EQ, AshCall, DAOC, COH,COV, SWG, EQ2, AshCall 2, Eve, Autto Assault, WOW and now LOTR.

To the fan of SWG, all I can say is that you are playing EQ2 with a Star Wars theme. SOE destroyed that game and in the process lost over 70% of the players. SWG was fantastic when it came out, and has gone down hill ever since. The last straw was when the fired all the SWG devs, and installed the EQ2 engine into the game. SWG is a dead game.

to the WOW fans, if you think that you are going to keep you 8.5 mill player base, your foolish. I have seen people saying that Aoc & WAR will take players away. LOTR has already started that ball in motion, it had the biggest opening ever for a mmorpg. I dont think turbine just brought a new 1 mill+ people to online games.

WOW is a good game, hell  I've been playing it for over 2 years now, but it was nothing new. The die hards will say that it changed every thing, but in truth it didnt. SWG has much better graphics, so did Ash Call2. SWG & DAOC had better PvP systems. EQ,EQ2, Ash Call all had large players raids and instances. Ash Calls Liege systems blew away and other games guild system. To all the end gamers, hmmm   there was no lvl cap in Ash Call. when I quit playing ,I was lvl 113 or so 4 school mage with well over 1000 diff spells i could cast. SWG was the first game that was based on a mythos. You can talk about Warcraft and Starcraft, but how do they even come close to the fan following of LOTR. Lets see, it was voted the best book of the century ie  it sold more copies than any other book, and they counted the bible in that, look it up.

Last, to the Idiot who says that WOW rocks because of Rogues (my main is a 70th lvl Rogue}, you are nuts!!!

I play a Burglar in LOTR, they have stealth, a hand full of stuns, bags of tricks, a frikin aoe snare, oh and to  boot they have a combat heal over time buff the can cast on themselves. And the kicker    when I joined my Kinship(guild), our leader didnt think they would ever have a Burglar in the group, cause no one liked to play them in the beta. They wrote them off as a crappy class   lol

As much as I like the Burg in LOTR, they arnt even close to the nastiest of the Rogue classes. Go play DAOC, play an Assassin (think that was the class)  Was the reason I quit playing the game, Went on my  first PvP raid to take over a fort, 20 of us. 1 Assassin killed all of us, 1 shot kills each, even our tanks. we never saw him or her. They stayed stealthed when they attacked, and no class on our side could see invisible characters.   THE DOWNFALL OF   DAOC,  MOST BROKEN  GAME EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

• nomadiannomadian Member Posts: 3,490

these next gen mmos- Warhammer, AoC won't be released in Asia will they? So no matter how WoW will have that 4-5m Asian subs. WoW won't die but the real question is will there be another mmo that will have as much international success as WoW has had? -in Asia and the West.
    As to whether Blizzard will release another sequel. I don't think one for some time yet. WoW is their mmo and they'll be adapting that to make it more competitive with Western releases and to both retain and reacquire subscribers.

• cupertinocupertino Member Posts: 1,094

If blizzard hold true to their word we will see another expansion at the end of the year, blizzard are not dumb.. it wasn't luck that got WoW where it is or keeps WoW it is.

WoW will live or die on the next expansion and blizzard realy need to take some risks in the next expansion, lots of PvP centric games out next year (WAR is WoWs biggest rival to date) so I expect the next expansion to be PvP based.... and for god sake give us guild halls.

• MaggotscreamMaggotscream Member Posts: 284

Originally posted by Coolguy20

Ok blizzards first mmorpg was great, it reached major success, tons of fun even though it did have its flaws and in the long run it does tend to get tedious.
    How could this possibly be?!?!?

With so many americans crying about this and that, blah blah, korean MMO's are boring and grind fests.

Their number 1 played game is Tedious?????/

omg..... alert the internets.

• BolerozBoleroz Member Posts: 4

The Blizzard figures are quite misleading.   Apparently there aren't really 8 million active subscribers at any one time and the majority of players quit after 3 months.  Only 5% of people playing ever max out the levels to 60 or 70.  Don't ask me where I read these figures as I don't remember.  But apparently it's not all roses for Blizzard.

So although a lot of people have bought the game, they struggle to keep them playing it for any length of time.

Without wanting to give a plug to SOE I think Vanguard is far superior to WoW, it's just a shame they didn't finish the content and iron out the bugs before releasing it.

• davchadavcha Member UncommonPosts: 130

Originally posted by SignusM

Funny because, originally SWG had some innovative features, then WoW showed its success and SWG became a clone of WoW...

So, if a clone of WoW is junk, what is really WoW ? :p

• battleaxe22battleaxe22 Member UncommonPosts: 303

Originally posted by Boleroz

The Blizzard figures are quite misleading.   Apparently there aren't really 8 million active subscribers at any one time and the majority of players quit after 3 months.  Only 5% of people playing ever max out the levels to 60 or 70.  Don't ask me where I read these figures as I don't remember.  But apparently it's not all roses for Blizzard.
    So although a lot of people have bought the game, they struggle to keep them playing it for any length of time.
    Without wanting to give a plug to SOE I think Vanguard is far superior to WoW, it's just a shame they didn't finish the content and iron out the bugs before releasing it.

All I have to say is :lol .   Conspiracy theories ftl.

Hf in your buggy ,broken ...almost dead game :X          

even if you don't like wow...it hold around 60% of the entire MMOG market. Get your facts straight.

• BolerozBoleroz Member Posts: 4

Originally posted by battleaxe22

even if you don't like wow...it hold around 60% of the entire MMOG market. Get your facts straight.

I didn't mention any conspiracy theories and I quoted real figures.

You are right, it is almost a dead game which is a shame as it's far superior to WoW.

Get my facts straights?  When did I get my facts wrong?  WoW may well have 60% of the market, when did I contradict that???

• ronan32ronan32 Member Posts: 1,418
    Originally posted by Aesthesis

Diablo
    Diablo II
    Starcraft
    Warcraft III
    World of Warcraft (its gonna be another game that people would rather play than others mmorpg)
    just damn Blizzard.. they know how to make good game.

pity warhammer has a more interesting story than all of those games put together..although diablo is good the rest are so unoriginal.

• ronan32ronan32 Member Posts: 1,418

Originally posted by davcha

Funny because, originally SWG had some innovative features, then WoW showed its success and SWG became a clone of WoW...

wow is a carbon copy of everquest...at least swg was original when first released....why do you think people left swg in the masses, because it was turned into a wow clone..now get back to your mindless raiding young man.

• LucifrankLucifrank Member Posts: 355
    WoW isn't anywhere close to dying. The only "next gen" titles coming out that look like they'll be worth playing (WAR and AoC) are both PvP-oriented games which pretty much ensures their subscription numbers will not be as large as WoW since each is catering to a niche market of the MMORPG population. Even if WoW's subscription numbers are greatly inflated--let's say they only have 4 million subscribers worldwide if for some reason you don't believe the 8 million number--that's seven times more subscribers then the next most popular subscription MMORPG (EQ) had in its prime. You have to realize that WoW has become something of a cultural phenomenon--a South Park episode, an upcoming movie--this game is the Pac-Man or Donkey Kong of its time and is only gonna get bigger before it fades away. My advice would be rather than wishing ill will on a videogame (which is pretty weird and useless if you think about it) if you don't like WoW, simply don't play it and focus on something you do enjoy rather than emulating those kids who cry in their pillows about SWG and go on childish tyrades about how SOE is the real-life Empire.
  • Originally posted by Coolguy20

Ok blizzards first mmorpg was great, it reached major success, tons of fun even though it did have its flaws and in the long run it does tend to get tedious, but! Do you guys really think this is blizzards last MMO? If WoW does die, and with warhammer, AoC and the rest comming out, blizzards next mmorpg is going to be fierce.
    Kudos to you for making a new thread with a NEW topic that has not already been looked at!

- How will Blizzard's next MMORPG do?

1. WoW will never, ever, never die. This is not fanboy talk. This is buisnessman talk. The current modern mmorpg needs to reach  50,000 accounts to have a chance in heaven or hell of ever re-couping its investment money. 100,000 accounts is needed to be considered a bona fid success. WoW has how many accounts? Get the picture? From a purely buisness P.O.V. if WoW shrank down to 500 total players, it still will not lose money. If Blizzard made it free, it still would not lose money for Blizzzard. And as you even know, someone, somewhere on this planet will play a free mmorpg.

2. With #1 in mind, Blizzard is in no hurry at all to release another mmorpg. Blizzard has far more intelligence than Turbine. Blizzard is not going to compeat directly vs its ownself, and sabatoge its ownself.

3. The ONLY way Blizzard will even think about releasing another mmorpg is IF the following happens:

If World of Warcraft the mmorpg peaks. And it has to be obvious.

IMHO WoW is now very close to peaking - due to the fact Blizzard has made some serious mistakes that started with the release of the Burning Crusade expansion. WoW is not growing as fast as it once was. My friends (who are ultra-hardcore Blizzard fans with numerous level 99 characters in Diablo 2, including hardcore mode. ) have all either quit WoW, or login once in a while. I've quit, with the thought in back of my head of maybe returning. The main reason they gave, is how the game now feels too empty - due mostly to the gutting of the worldwide chat system.

Just because the worldwide Looking For Group chat got 50% spammed, Blizzard could have simply made another default world chat channel for only general chat. And leave the world LFG chat channel. Because of this move, it's far harder for new players to find a group, to join a guild, to meet experienced players. ALL mmorpgs are a community first. Having a superior chat system that's available to all players, that helps all players be part of the in game community, is one of the pillars holding the foundation of a mmorpg. In the current WoW, all players can only chat with whoever is in their immediat zone. So if a new player is in a new zone, or any player is in a desolate area (in the mountains, in a dungeon, in a dessert) or online at a certain time, they litterally cannot communicate with anyone else in the game at all! There is 0% chance of them meeting someone else in the game through chatting. LF a quality group is impossible.

It's like being in a bar at your own table (zone) and overhearing a guy at another table make a very funny joke. Everyone else in the bar is able to hear his joke, and respond. Comaradarie formes. Other customers will leave their tables (leave their zones) and come over to his table and "group with him". Maybe for a while, maybe for the rest of the day.... then go back to their tables that day, or the next day. Imagine being at a bar, and being unable to hear anyone who is not sitting at your table? Being unable to see anyone who is not at your table? The bar would feel, and sound pretty empty!!!

Because of all this, WoW is stagnating, peaking, sooner than it would have. WoW could have easily reached 10 million accounts. Right now it's hovering at 8+ million accounts. IF WoW is still at 8 million accounts 1 year from now - summertime 2008 - then it will be obvious it has peaked.

Right now at present time, it is NOT obvious to Blizzard that WoW has peaked. So Blizzard is not going to release another mmorpg for another 5-7 years.

• impulsebooksimpulsebooks Member Posts: 561

...WOW is so polished that they can add features endlessly to it where as AOC and WAR will have to go through a 2 year period or patching before they can reach that level. ...

I don't agree with your reasoning here. Yes WOW can keep adding more content, but that does not mean WAR and other MMOs can't do the same. It would not surprise me at all to learn that WAR already has the next expansion well under way. You are assuming the start point for development is AFTER the release of the original game. There have been hints about more playable races already.

As for patching, I am not worried about it. There isn't an MMO on the market that does not patch in the background while you play, and weekly server maintenance is standard...except for SWG which I find has a lot of downtime for such things.

Mark E. Cooper
    AKA Tohrment
    Proud member of Damned Souls since 2007.
    http://www.damnedsouls.eu

• Originally posted by Boleroz

Originally posted by battleaxe22

I didn't mention any conspiracy theories and I quoted real figures.

You are right, it is almost a dead game which is a shame as it's far superior to WoW.

Get my facts straights?  When did I get my facts wrong?  WoW may well have 60% of the market, when did I contradict that???

*AHEM*

You did not quote any figures at all. You even admitted in your first quote that "we should not ask you where you got your figures". You have made your own post moot. Any more posts by you will further damage your reputation on this site. You are starting to lean towards what is called "Trolling". Making trouble for no reason. Posting "facts" without any sources that can be looked at by others.

Find a game you like, and play it. Take a break from posting missleading information without listing your sources.

• impulsebooksimpulsebooks Member Posts: 561

Why would Blizzard make a new mmorpg when they already have the best in the world...

They are in business to make money and they know there is room for more to be made  They are the biggest yes, and they are the best right now, but to stay number one they have to be like any other big business and keep improving their products to keep their customers happy.

I loved WOW for two years, but now I have moved on. I don't dis WOW, because it was great while it lasted for me. I also think Diablo would make a great MMO, but I would prefer to see a new sci-fi MMO. The two big genres are fantasy and sci-fi. They should hit the sci-fi fans now they have the fantasy guys under their sway. If it has to be blizzard that blazes the trail for the industry, and until recently it has, then it will have to be Starcraft.

Personaly I would love to see an MMO based on the Battlemech Universe. Probably would have to have mercenary companies instead of guilds... just semantics I guess, but it would be cool looting other players' mechs to get parts etc 

Mark E. Cooper
    AKA Tohrment
    Proud member of Damned Souls since 2007.
    http://www.damnedsouls.eu

• GinkeqGinkeq Member Posts: 615

Originally posted by Aesthesis

Diablo   Hacks & Dupes & Boring & Lousy PVP
    Diablo II  Hacks & Dupes & Boring & Lousy PVP
    Starcraft  Botted
    Warcraft III  Botted
    World of Warcraft (its gonna be another game that people would rather play than others mmorpg) Boring
    just damn Blizzard.. they know how to make good game.

Not really

• LifePositiveLifePositive Member UncommonPosts: 130

Originally posted by impulsebooks

I don't agree with your reasoning here. Yes WOW can keep adding more content, but that does not mean WAR and other MMOs can't do the same. It would not surprise me at all to learn that WAR already has the next expansion well under way. You are assuming the start point for development is AFTER the release of the original game. There have been hints about more playable races already.
    As for patching, I am not worried about it. There isn't an MMO on the market that does not patch in the background while you play, and weekly server maintenance is standard...except for SWG which I find has a lot of downtime for such things.

Wishful thinking, mate, it's purely a matter of manpower. Which do you think is a better idea - stripping away your core development team to work on content not available at launch and in doing so delaying launch or focusing on launching with more, better initial content? It's one thing to plan ahead and conceptualize content to be added in the future, but it's another thing entirely to shorthand you development team in the single most critical phase of development. No one actually works on an expansion pack before the main game comes out. Certainly they plan for it, but they won't start actual development until the core game has been launched smoothly.

The brass tacks of the matter is that any new MMO has to work it's ass off to "catch up" with an already established game.

For example, look at a game like City of Heroes at launch and compare it to City of Heroes/Villains as it is now. The difference is incredibly vast because today it has about 250% of the content it launched with! It took years to get to the point that it is now and most of it was free! Every single new MMO has to go through that same amount of time to fully flesh out their core game's content. You need people to do that: coders, artists, graphic designers, etc...

“How do you kill that which has no life

• davchadavcha Member UncommonPosts: 130

Originally posted by ronan32

Originally posted by davcha

wow is a carbon copy of everquest...at least swg was original when first released....why do you think people left swg in the masses, because it was turned into a wow clone..now get back to your mindless raiding young man.

Amusing. Who said i'm enjoying WoW or even playing it ? lol

You shouldnt consider your hypothesis to be the truth so quickly. :p