Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My final thoughts on LotRO

observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

I've said this before, but this game is too restritced by the lore.  Tolkien Enterprises has their leash on this one, however, I don't blame them.  In my opinion, the LotR books do not translate well into a video game.  I'm not a lore expert or scholar, but it's just the way I feel.

Classes:  4/7 are lore appropiate, in my opinion.  I just can't see the last three fighting in combat though.

• Guardian (lore appropiate)
  • Hunter (lore appropiate)
  • Champion (lore appropiate)
  • Captain (lore appropiate) (Doesn't fit lore with Herald)
  • Lore-Master (Doesn't fit lore)
  • Minstrel (Doesn't fit lore)
  • Burglar (Doesn't fit lore)

Races: Elves, Man, Dwarves, Hobbits.  The only one not lore appropiate would be the Hobbits.  Why? Because Hobbits didn't really leave The Shire in large numbers.  Someone please correct me here if i'm wrong.  

Third Age Setting: I like this Age, but not as much as I liked the First and Second Ages, and the Fourth Age leaves more room for creativity and not a lot of restriction.  There's nothing we can do about this though, since LOTR is only set in the Third Age, right?

Eriador zone: I know Eriador is appropiate, since we're following the books, but it is so boring and feels too linear.  Also, the next place is going to be Moria, which is cool.  I would still have rather started in, non-linear multiple zones though; like Rohan, Gondor, Mirkwood, Isengard, Lorien, Mordor, etc.  Instead, we're forced to follow the books in order.  By the time we get to Mordor, it will take years. 

PvP: I'm not really a huge fan of PvP, and I know there is Monster Play, but it's only restricted to one zone, Ettenmoors.  It would be great if we could pillage The Shire, Bree, Lone-Lands, and so on.  However, this might go against the lore, right?  The whole design of it is also boring, and the monster choices are lacking too.  We got Orcs, Spiders, Wargs.  Why not Trolls, Goblins, Man, etc?  

Anyway, those are my thoughts, and I hope some of you criticize them and tell me where I'm wrong.