Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

hmm... Is it me? Or is SOE starting to do a lot of good things?

Comments

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

Originally posted by Supernerd

Infantry Free.
    Planetside reserves coming back.
    The Agency.
    Vanguard is getting fixed.
    Potbs.
    Gods and Heroes.

The list goes on and on and on and on.
    My feelings toward SOE is defanitely changing.
    I can now forgive them for SWG,and thank them for all the good things they are doing.
    This velvet rope thing is amazing.

Go go SOE

Why oh why do people feel the need to become apologists for corporations?   Maybe you can forgive them for what they did to swg (among other things) but many can't.  For me, it has very little to do with the actual game changes to swg (changes happen) but it was the way it happened.  They delibrately lied to and mislead the players right up until the nge and they've blatantly disrespected their customers numerous times.  While I don't really blame them for what happened to VG (that was all on Brad McQuaid and Sigil) I'm a little worried for POTBS, but who knows. 

Basically, I refuse to continue doing business with a company or business that has treated me, my family or friends poorly in the past.  Would you continue to take your car to a garage that rips you off and treats you like crap every time you go there?  I know I wouldn't.  But I guess as long as people are having fun with whatever shiny new game soe has out then its all ok, right?  Me?  I like to think that keeping to my principles is more important.  It amazes me the kind of crap people will put up with from gaming companies just so they can have fun.

Edit:  BTW Station Pass will be the only reason some of those games stick around.  Its actually a brilliant idea on soe's part. 

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• ASmith84ASmith84 Member Posts: 979

they still suck.  they screwed swg and tmo over. all these new games comin out are just to make you somewhat interested to buy the game and play it for awhile and get bored with it so you go buy another game. thats what i think they are doing.

• OpticaleyeOpticaleye Member Posts: 498

Here come the SOE haters.

Someone started a thread stating that SOE is actually doing something good.

That is something that cant happen.They only do bad evil corporate things like...GASP....make money!!

I find it funny that all these people are in denial.

The many socalled "failures" of SOE.IMHO failure in the mmo industry is definable by 2 things:A developer is forced to either abandon development altogether without launching or the developer is forced to shut down the game because it is costing more to keep it alive than they are making.

SOE haters answer me this question:

Name 1 game that is under the SOE umbrella that has been abandoned in development or has been shutdown.

Of course i dont expect you to do this without bullshi@ing about what an "evil" corporation they are so go ahead.

What is your physical limit?

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

Originally posted by Opticaleye

That is something that cant happen.They only do bad evil corporate things like...GASP....make money!!

Theres ways for corporations to make money without treating their customers badly and engaging in shady business practices.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

Originally posted by Ginaz

Originally posted by Opticaleye

Theres ways for corporations to make money without treating their customers badly and engaging in shady business practices.

Well there are people that actually enjoy playing games made by SOE.In addition there are a lot of people who are satisfied customers.

• ZarraaZarraa Member Posts: 481

Originally posted by brostyn

You're attempt to do discredit my post is childish. You failed to point out what SOE has brought to this genre besides sub-mediocre content. Instead you want to participate in a flame war.

Don't get me wrong, having had a bad experience myself  I now take a wait and see approach towards anything SOE.

However I don't allow this to cloud better judgement or prompt me to post false statements.

SOE via Verant brought us EQ1 and regardless of you're personal views EQII is a solid title as well.  Now if you see those titles as sub-mediocre again you're allowing you're views of SOE to stifle objectivity.

Dutchess Zarraa Voltayre
    Reborn/Zero Sum/Ancient Legacy/Jagged Legion/Feared/Nuke & Pave.

• Coolguy20Coolguy20 Member Posts: 250

SOE IS PURE CRAP

• LuRaviLuRavi Member UncommonPosts: 239

Infantry Free.
    The Agency.
    Potbs.
    Gods and Heroes.

I can now forgive them for SWG,and thank them for all the good things they are doing.

Go go SOE
    With me making zero comment about SOE.

This opening Poster is making completely inaccurate statements about SOE owning certain products and having a positive impact on those products, which makes in my eyes, the entire post by the opening poster noting but a shille for SOE and therefore a post which should have been deleted for posting false information.   Fairly close to being a troll.

• LucifrankLucifrank Member Posts: 355
    Originally posted by Ginaz

But I guess as long as people are having fun with whatever shiny new game soe has out then its all ok, right?  Me?  I like to think that keeping to my principles is more important.  It amazes me the kind of crap people will put up with from gaming companies just so they can have fun.

Edit:  BTW Station Pass will be the only reason some of those games stick around.  Its actually a brilliant idea on soe's part. 

Um, that's kind of the point, no--to have fun? I personally have never played any SOE games yet because they haven't released a title that, to me personally, seems FUN. I don't wanna play pirates or games based on poorly written sci-fi trilogies but those games just don't suit my personal tastes. But there are people who are having FUN with SOE games so why be so gloom-and-doom about it? Of course larger companies are going to "dumb" their games down in the eyes of "hardcore" gamers because hardcore gamers, like it or not, are a minute fraction of the market at this point in history. For better or worse, it's not 1999 anymore. Though we're in a somewhat stagnant period in the MMORPG industry, things will change. And I'd betcha that change is not gonna come from established companies like SOE or Blizzard. It'll come from some upstart developers as tired of the stagnation as we are. SOE doesn't make the type of games you want to play. Fine. They don't make the types of games I want to play either. But c'mon now.
  • OrionStarOrionStar Member Posts: 378

$OE is the big cooporate mommy that all the little baby cooporations come crying to when they get made fun of.  The big mommy $OE doesn't know how to raise her children because she is depressed of old Everquest memories.  $OE mommy's children grow up to be drop outs in the MMO world.

• ASmith84ASmith84 Member Posts: 979

before complaining about people that dont agree with you think about this.  what is the point of having a forum if everyone agrees? 

• FarquaniaFarquania Member Posts: 120
    When you're in Hell the only thing you can do is befriend Satan, and hope he'll let you go up to Earth and be a demon. Your mission: eliminate the competition. Sounds old, huh? Well seems like Sony has been making many odd decisions, not only with MMOs. Who knows what they're up to next? At least they make a decent camera...

• Sketch5Sketch5 Member Posts: 101

I agree, SOE IS doing good things.

They aren't evil, or even a bad company.

If they were as bad as everyone says, why would everyone still be giving them their money?

How many people have you heard bitching about SOE that still pay to play their games?

A lot.

I've been screwed over by SOE a few times too, but every company out there screws over their costumers, that's what big companies do.

People don't bitch about these other companies, so why SOE?

Maybe gamers just complain more.

Pretty much everything that people blame on SOE was actually them putting their own money into helping someone else.

PotBS is NOT going to be bought out, and SOE does NOT have the power to change the game or fire anyone.

So anyone saying "ZOMG TAHT GAME WILL SUK BECUZ OF SOE!!elven!!", just calm down and give it a chance. Jeezus.

Basically, stop bitching about SOE. I don't like them either, but I realize they  aren't  evil.

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Infantry Free.
    The Agency.
    Potbs.
    Gods and Heroes.

Go go SOE

Before you go patting them on the back, they would need to actually do something with some actual "quality" attached to it.

Infantry for free has like zero impact on the overall MMO picture not to mention its old and its probably under used. Planetside reserves, is nice, no doubt BUT they let the game die off after they screwed it up. Its basically to little to late. PS can not compete with free games like BF 2142.

The Agency....we can believe it when we see it. With the track record they have, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Vanguard....."getting fixed" and this is a good thing? "Getting fixed" six months into launch that players are PAYING for is just a sucky thing to do to them. The game was released a YEAR to soon and now they gotta pay while they patch it up and make it playable??? Hooray for SOE, they are so great. The  players who have paid for this game deserve better. They need a discount or some free play time or something...to expect them to pay for a half finished buggy game is just silly and the games fate and populations reflect that.

PotBS...again, we will see how this turns out.  Track record says........

Gods and Hero.....whats with SOE, its like the bargin bin collection extream. Will G&H be any good? Who knows, what certain is nothing with the SOE logo on it is very good up to now. Hell most of what they make is hardly playable at launch. Will G&H be any different????

I'm not even gonna touch the SWG thing as I'm sick to my teeth of hearing about it.

And in case you don't remember, EQII was a trainwreck at launch that SOE shifted into "operation desperate fumble" when WoW buried them that same month. It took them about a year and a half and 2 revamps to get EQII to the point its at now.

I guess if they keep flinging crap at the wall something will eventually stick. The mathmatical odds of them getting a decent game launch might be getting better though. You can only FUBAR so many times before dumb luck kicks in and something eventually works out. The odds that G&H, PotBS and The Agency all turn out to be decent games that SOE doesn't jam it to the players along the way are slim to ZERO. 

Thats just my opinion, I wouldn't go praising them for work that is not complete and unlaunched just yet. The only thing SOE deserves is our skepticism.

• AngelboundAngelbound Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,437

Soe lies all the time stop trying to cover up for them because my bs meter has always spiked when I have experiences with soe, they may be trying to fix there issues but that does not mean this company can be trusted, it does not mean they will screw you over for every cent they can get ouf of the majority mmorpg population and believe me they will. They are greedy and always will be and as long as there greedy they will have a major lack in vision.

Originally posted by Torak

Infantry Free.
    The Agency.
    Potbs.
    Gods and Heroes.

Go go SOE

Before you go patting them on the back, they would need to actually do something with some actual "quality" attached to it.

Infantry for free has like zero impact on the overall MMO picture not to mention its old and its probably under used. Planetside reserves, is nice, no doubt BUT they let the game die off after they screwed it up. Its basically to little to late. PS can not compete with free games like BF 2142.

The Agency....we can believe it when we see it. With the track record they have, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Vanguard....."getting fixed" and this is a good thing? "Getting fixed" six months into launch that players are PAYING for is just a sucky thing to do to them. The game was released a YEAR to soon and now they gotta pay while they patch it up and make it playable??? Hooray for SOE, they are so great. The  players who have paid for this game deserve better. They need a discount or some free play time or something...to expect them to pay for a half finished buggy game is just silly and the games fate and populations reflect that.

PotBS...again, we will see how this turns out.  Track record says........

Gods and Hero.....whats with SOE, its like the bargin bin collection extream. Will G&H be any good? Who knows, what certain is nothing with the SOE logo on it is very good up to now. Hell most of what they make is hardly playable at launch. Will G&H be any different????

I'm not even gonna touch the SWG thing as I'm sick to my teeth of hearing about it.

And in case you don't remember, EQII was a trainwreck at launch that SOE shifted into "operation desperate fumble" when WoW buried them that same month. It took them about a year and a half and 2 revamps to get EQII to the point its at now.

I guess if they keep flinging crap at the wall something will eventually stick. The mathmatical odds of them getting a decent game launch might be getting better though. You can only FUBAR so many times before dumb luck kicks in and something eventually works out. The odds that G&H, PotBS and The Agency all turn out to be decent games that SOE doesn't jam it to the players along the way are slim to ZERO. 

Thats just my opinion, I wouldn't go praising them for work that is not complete and unlaunched just yet. The only thing SOE deserves is our skepticism.

EQ2 is now 1 of the better offerings out at the moment.Let me point out that it has more expansions than WoW  and at least twice as much content as WoW.

Not 1 failed game not even a game shutdown.Seems to me the are doing pretty good.EQ is STILL going strong and its almost 10 years old.As far as revamping it....i think they call that listening to its customers and giving them what they want.

Yeah such a bad company.

• AngelboundAngelbound Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,437

Yep listening to the whiney kids who dont know jack about class balance that makes alot of sense, its a marketing tool they change things like class balance into unfair advantages so the spolied brats can have there fun with over powered characters.

• InteritusInteritus Member UncommonPosts: 236

Besides the desrtuction of SWG (Which I will always blame on LucasArts) I don't think SOE has destroyed any games. EQ lasted an impressively long time, it's still going, obviously not nearly as strong but what do you expect with so many other games?

Planetside introduced a new gameplay style the MMOFPS. Which while  didn't do great has it's players.

MxO was dying when SOE took over. That might have been one of the reasons Monolith sold it.

Vanguard ran out of money, I don't see why this one is hard to understand. If SOE didn't buy it it would probably be gone.

And EQ2 is second highest rated game on this site and a game I enjoy, just because you don't enjoy the game doesn't mean it's bad.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

Originally posted by Sketch5

Basically, stop bitching about SOE. I don't like them either, but I realize they  aren't  evil.
    They are EVIL, don't deny it! 

Resist their temptation! 

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

Originally posted by Sketch5

If they were as bad as everyone says, why would everyone still be giving them their money?
    How many people have you heard bitching about SOE that still pay to play their games?

A lot.
    I've been screwed over by SOE a few times too, but every company out there screws over their costumers, that's what big companies do.
    People don't bitch about these other companies, so why SOE?

Maybe gamers just complain more.
    Pretty much everything that people blame on SOE was actually them putting their own money into helping someone else.
    PotBS is NOT going to be bought out, and SOE does NOT have the power to change the game or fire anyone.
    So anyone saying "ZOMG TAHT GAME WILL SUK BECUZ OF SOE!!elven!!", just calm down and give it a chance. Jeezus.

Your thought train is broken.  People do alot of things that are generally bad for them.  Smoking, Drinking, Unprotected Sex just to name a few.    Some people will hate something and continue to play it anyway.  That's just how people are.  Just because they stick to playing that SOE game doesn't necessarily mean they like SOE.  You'd only have to read about some of the post concerning SWG:NGE.  Alot of people quit sure, but even some that were extremely unhappy with NGE, are still playing to this day.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• gpettgpett Member Posts: 1,105

Yes, SOE has a ton of games under its umbrella.  That still does not change their money grubbing personality of increasing prices, poor customer support, and development decisions that alienate early adopter players.

SOE takes your money and treats you poorly.  They do not respect the longtime customers.  My experience with SOE has led me to the decision I will never pay them another penny.

Everyone is free to make their choices.  I have made mine.

P.S. This is my experience after paying for 4 seperate SOE MMOs and realizing that I was ignored by them.  I don't pay for a service to be ignored.

• LukainLukain Member UncommonPosts: 591

Originally posted by Rinic   
    They still ruined SWG.
    They forced an early Vanguard release, causing the game to fail.
    So has SOE been doing anything good? No, not a thing.

While it was not good to force an early release for us players it was a brilliant plan on SOE behalf , Force release & wait for the crash then buy the game at 20% the original cost Now thats smart business

• Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777

SOE is doing great and I expect even more from them in the future.  I've always heard that there's no such thing as bad press, and thanks to SWG, there's nothing in the MMO world as talked about as SOE.  Think about it...after two years or more, people are still whining and crying about that game.  Heck, I have never played more than the trial of SWG, but I know more about NGE than I do about the current events in the MMOs I do play.

The company is getting stronger in the MMO industry every day.  You can either get on board and enjoy some great new games, or you can sit on the forums and spam every SOE thread about something that is ancient history.  It's really up to you.  Of course if you choose to cry about SWG, you'll only be hurting yourself.  Personally, I'm going to be trying out POBTS, Gods and Heroes, the Agency, and anything else they put out.

P.s., Sigil screwed the pooch with Vanguard.  SOE is the only reason the game is still alive today.  Without SOE, it'd be history too.  In my book, SOE is the hero!

• vajurasvajuras Member Posts: 2,860

Originally posted by Rinic

They still ruined SWG.
    They forced an early Vanguard release, causing the game to fail.
    Chances are they're going to force The Agency out before it's finished.
    They say they're only going to be publishing POTBS, but that's what they said about Vanguard as well. Look forward to 75% of the staff being fired like Vanguard and SOE aquiring POTBS as well.

Also, Infantry WAS free before SOE bought it and put a p2p price tag on it. Not to mention it was 20 times better back Harmess Games owned it, and not SOE.

So has SOE been doing anything good? No, not a thing.

vanguard was a failure before it got to SOE any game dev will tell you that. your argument fails utterly

• roadwarriorsroadwarriors Member Posts: 218

Vanguard was a failure that wasn't caused by SOE but was the result of lying to the consumer, a tactic SOE uses frequently. Therefore they are within the same domain and can be identified as being equal and part of the same entity.