Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The economy of PotBS

Slacking at work and I'm browsing the old dev logs on the PotBS site.  One particular article got me all excited about the game all over again.

http://www.burningsea.com/pages/page.php?pageKey=news/article&article_id=10253

I've heard the phrase "player-owned economy" thrown around on the forums, but didn't realize it was to this scale.  If they can truly implement the ideas mention in that devLog and make it work, it'd be a major milestone for the MMO genre.  Currently crafting and economics in other MMO games are just foddler, in the background as something else to do.  With this system in place there is a true purpose to everything you do in the game.  

Granted the devLog is pretty old so I'm not sure how accurately it reflects the design they have in place at the current state of the game.  But I hope some if not all of the core ideas mentioned are there.  We'll see when the game launches I guess.  The economy is a very intergral part of an MMO universe, I'm glad so much much thought is put into it.

Comments

• RickSaadaRickSaada Senior Developer, POTBSMember Posts: 200

Originally posted by HueyLy77

Slacking at work and I'm browsing the old dev logs on the PotBS site.  One particular article got me all excited about the game all over again.
    http://www.burningsea.com/pages/page.php?pageKey=news/article&article_id=10253

I've heard the phrase "player-owned economy" thrown around on the forums, but didn't realize it was to this scale.  If they can truly implement the ideas mention in that devLog and make it work, it'd be a major milestone for the MMO genre.  Currently crafting and economics in other MMO games are just foddler, in the background as something else to do.  With this system in place there is a true purpose to everything you do in the game.  
    Granted the devLog is pretty old so I'm not sure how accurately it reflects the design they have in place at the current state of the game.  But I hope some if not all of the core ideas mentioned are there.  We'll see when the game launches I guess.  The economy is a very intergral part of an MMO universe, I'm glad so much much thought is put into it.

Heh.  There's an almost identical post over in our forums today:

http://www.flyinglab.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11375&page=42

But the upshot is that yes, while the details have changed, the information in the devlog is still about right.

Rick Saada FLS Dev - EPFBM 

Rick Saada - FLS Dev & EPFBM

• harryhohoharryhoho Member Posts: 6

I have got to say that this is an extremely encouraging read. Not only do the ideas follow some very important design guidlines, but the clarity of thought behind these ideas show that there is someone who really understands what player designed economy should be about. And who seems to have enough common sense to address future issues.

• daemondaemon Member UncommonPosts: 680

Everything seems pretty nicely planned. Alot of things though if they are too complicated will scare away alot of people.

Seen that happen in EVE.

• hueyl77hueyl77 Member Posts: 19

I made this post to get this DevLog some exposure. It was buried in page 3 of the devLogs.

I'm curious tho, how are they introducing the money supply into the economy.  In most MMOs the main source of income into the system are from questing, looting monsters, selling trash vendor to npcs etc.  If this system is purely player-driven, where would the initial amount of money come from?  I'm guessing quests still gives money, and pirarcy against npc ships?  Is that going to be enough to put money into circulation?

• The major milestone in player economies was already made in SWG.  Sadly, they destroyed it in order to create a half-assed WoW wanna-be.  :)

SWG was ahead of its time...

• SplatzorSplatzor Member UncommonPosts: 92

From what I have read in thier forums they have the right idea going on. They even made some items that were kept after a ship sunk go down with the ship to increase the need for player made items.

• MaulemMaulem Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by hueyl77

I made this post to get this DevLog some exposure. It was buried in page 3 of the devLogs.
    I'm curious tho, how are they introducing the money supply into the economy.  In most MMOs the main source of income into the system are from questing, looting monsters, selling trash vendor to npcs etc.  If this system is purely player-driven, where would the initial amount of money come from?  I'm guessing quests still gives money, and pirarcy against npc ships?  Is that going to be enough to put money into circulation?

Good question. One of the major problems I have with current MMORPG's is the need to just sit there and grind mobs for cash/mats. I really like the idea of the economy in PotBS but it all depends on how it is started out.