Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I got the game. . .

Keebs1984Keebs1984 Member Posts: 1,356

I have been hearing about this game for years. I am an avid MMORPGer but for some reason I never bothered to pick up Star Wars Galaxies. I have heard the good, the bad, the old, and the new about this game over almost every single video game forum I have ever visited. This game, is by far, one of the most controversial MMO ever.

So a few days ago I decided to check it out, finally, and see what it is all about.

Let me start by saying that the training "Station" that you are stuck on in the beginning is horrible. Its a bad design, and the missions there are, bottom of the barrel, boring. Whats worse is that it won't let me just ditch the tutorial stage until I have completed most, if not all, of the missions there. Needless to say I was getting angrier and angrier at the game as I was forced to do more of these missions.

Fortunately the saving grace was the space flight. Its actually fun, and fairly intuitive without being overly complicated. I was originally a bit worried it was going to be too much like EvE; slow, methodical, time-wasting. Much to my surprise I was quickly flying around shooting stuff and causing havoc in no time. Also I am completely digging the fact that the game isn't centered around combat. Aside from the horrible training station I have yet to participate in any combat. A definite plus for anybody who doesn't care about that sort of thing.

I am considering writing a piece on this game for my website. I understand that a lot of people say this game was ruined, specifically after the whole class "rearranging" that occured some time back, but amidst all of its mistakes and design changes the game has come away with a unique feel that can only be described as fun.

I honestly don't know why some people hate this game so much. Perhaps I'll find out as I play the game more and more?

Eternally mine,
Keebs

The MMO gaming blog I write for.

Comments

• ownedyou1ownedyou1 Member Posts: 364

You'll find most of the people who hate the game havn't played it in 2-3 years, or they left because of the bugs at the start of the game.

• ramses69ramses69 Member Posts: 31

Because the old SWG was about 150 times more fun, the NGE has it's moments but it's no where as fun as it was.  The old trainer was a quick run thru that showed some basic skills and then they booted you to your town of choice, then you learned from there just by playing and exploring on your own. Now it's a boring eq2 style, run here run there, kill so many of these and go to this guy blah blah.

And i have played then both.

• ownedyou1ownedyou1 Member Posts: 364

I'm so glad they added a story, just being booted into SWG in order to gain power with no quests just wasn't fun.

It's Star Wars, You should know the story already but i'll admit, if you were not a fan of Star Wars then a little story was needed.

• truenorthbgtruenorthbg Member Posts: 1,453

Oh. Wow.

I just played the game as well; I have been an avid MMOer for years.  I really enjoyed the station starting area...

Anyway, I think the game is awesome.  I find it to be incredibly fun and like playing in the movies, but that is the effect is has on me.  It definitely grabs you, holds you, and keeps you.  I think.

-----
    WoW and fast food = commercial successes.
    I neither play WoW nor eat fast food.

• amaedictamaedict Member Posts: 54
    yes the game is quite fun, i do agree that the station missions suck, but after that it get really cool, wait till you discover the rest. kind makes you wish you had bought the game earlier and not listened to the stupid vets ....
  • truenorthbgtruenorthbg Member Posts: 1,453

Originally posted by amaedict

yes the game is quite fun, i do agree that the station missions suck, but after that it get really cool, wait till you discover the rest. kind makes you wish you had bought the game earlier and not listened to the stupid vets ....

Wow.

If the station missions suck, I cannot wait to see what is next.  Gosh, I cannot wait to log in. LOL!!  I am finishing some work up, then I will crack open a Sam Adams summer ale and enjoy myself!

Edit: my favorite game to sit back and play and have a beer is SWG.  It used to be EQ 1. lol.

-----
    WoW and fast food = commercial successes.
    I neither play WoW nor eat fast food.

• Mr.WizardMr.Wizard Member UncommonPosts: 243

Originally posted by amaedict

wait..wait.. dont start about the "nice" and "fun" Legacy quests.. 

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

Well I have been playing about a month now. I have old pre-cu characters but really am enjoying my new ones. The first time thru the station quests were fun. But after that they just are not enough. But once I hit mainland on tatooine it turned into quite a enjoyable game. I have a level 43 jedi now and a level 20 Trader. I enjoy playing both. Once I hit 90 with my jedi i may switch to bounty hunter. I am currently doing the second part of Legacy on Corellia. The whole legacy questline has been quite entertaining. Not counting the uber loots you wont get just grinding.

Have to say as a pre-cu player the game has turned out quite nicely. of course that is after NGE.