Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question to Caucasians.....

Comments

• Cabe2323Cabe2323 Member Posts: 2,939

Pretty much every race has this same feeling.  That movie with Bernie Mac and Ashton Kutcher was a good example as well.  It is just something that even people that feel they are not racist at all can sometimes fall into.  There is just something that most people feel is normal about seeing same ethnic couples.  TV reinforces it, movies reinforce it, etc etc.  So when people see a mix ethnic/culture couple it looks wierd.  The same thing is true for socioeconomic class as well.  If Peggy sue goes on spring break from Yale and meets Billy Bob down in Panama City FL (and billy bob is from southern Alabama) her friends and especially her family will be just as upset about the couple.  Even if Billy Bob is 100% white as white can be.  People have certain expectations for their children and when their children move off of that pre determined track the parents get upset. 

It doesn't make them bad people nor does it make them racist.  Now if their daughter really loves a black man and marries him and they still don't end up accepting him, then you can start calling them racist.  But if they aren't keen on the idea at first, that can be attributed to the "gap"  (the gap is the difference between how we picture something happening and what the reality is.  Psych majors will be familiar with the idea, All those psych classes I took with my wife rubbed off some. ). 

Currently playing:
    LOTRO & WoW (not much WoW though because Mines of Moria rocks!!!!)

Looking Foward too:
    Bioware games (Dragon Age & Star Wars The Old Republic)

• Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718

Originally posted by -Jaguar-

White girls want to date a grown black guy who is a ninja? SUCESS!!!

I ninja-fixed this for you. I also will will have sombody to 'fix' you in about 5 minutes.

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

Originally posted by ShakaAutunn

To be honest, I find very few Black men to be attractive. I'm far more into Asians (Chinese and Japanese more than Korean) to be the best looking. Even better than most White's. For me, it's attraction. Though Will Smith and Denzel Washington are both hot, ;d It's rare to find a Black men attractive, or even my type. Would I date a black man? Sure, if I find him attractive and my type of course. But I never have dated outside my race (white) before. I've given up on dating altogether anyways. :D
    Hey have some faith, don't give up on dating, not yet. Maybe you should come down here. There is a lot of attractive black guys here, including Rikimaru. Try dating outside your race too, it's fun, but a challange.

|

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by Rikimaru_X

Ok now that I already made my self a suspect, so I have a question. I'm starting to find more and more white girls tell me that they parents didn't prefer them to date black guys (not meaning that they would actually listen to them). Also some say that their parents are't prejedious or anything. I just wonder if this is a normal thing? I was taught love has no color when I grew up. Is it a family thing? Maybe their family will be shamed opun or they might get look differently by other family and neibhors if their daughter had an intimate relationship with one? Do they suspect drama or some kind of irrsponsibality()?
    I'm sure many of you (even older members) saw somthing like this before. I just want to know if it's true and why. I know there are still prejidous (or racist if you want to take it to another level) people out there (usually stay hidden). I live in South Carolina too if you didn't know...don't know if that gives any bonuses to why though.Sorry for the spelling and grammer. I'm sure you guys have some infomation behind this. I just want to learn a bit more. Well I got to go to work. Rikimaru wants yall to take care.

Americans still have some issues with mixed race relashionships.

I don't live there, but from what I see from your movies, drama or programs the feeling is that I don't see too many white+black relationships.

I don't know if it's an American issue or just my perception by watching your movies.

In London where I live, people don't have a problem whatsoever with mixed race relationship.

You see plenty of blonde ladies with black kids walking around, it is quite normal.

Black+white relationships in English dramas is the norm, if you didn't rise the issue with this thread I wouldn't even knew there were an issue anywhere else.

Anyway, I don't think it is real racism. Probably there is still a bit of prejudice.

I guess some people still need to get used to multiculturalism, but they are not necessarily bad people.

I am sure that if you love a white girl and she loves you back their parents will understand.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977
    Originally posted by -Jaguar-

No white girls want to date a grown black guy who enjoys dressing like a ninja? Racists!!!

Probably for the same reason no black girl wants to date a grown white man that dresses as Darth Vader and goes to conventions every weekend? This isn't racism it's ninja and star warsism, I demand the goverment implement laws where a woman cannot deny a man sex due to his fascinations with ninjas or Star Wars!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• seabass2003seabass2003 Member Posts: 4,144
    Originally posted by Rikimaru_X

Originally posted by seabass2003

Originally posted by ViolentY

It's true that you can be prejudice without racist. I can understand how you can not want your child to marry a person of a different race than you... For instance, my friend who is 100% Mexican will only date Mexican girls, not because he's racist or anything (he has a lot of white friends, including girls). He's just so proud of his heritage, he doesn't want to convolute the gene pool, and for his kids to be as proud as he is to be 100% pure blood.
    Honestly, I wish I could say the same. I'm a mutt from so many different groups of people, I really have no heritage to be proud of.
    Sorry but I had to laugh (not in a bad way) about how your friend is proud to be Mexican and wants his blood to be pure. Does he not realize that he also is a mutt? The whole freaking human race is filled with nothing but mutts. In order for you to be here in this day and age all people are mixed one way or another.

But on to a better story. My wife/gf is Mexican/Filipina. Her mom was absolutely pissed when we got together. She even introduced her to another Filipino guy that she wanted her to marry. She said that she needed to stay within her race and marry a Filipino. So we pointed out that her husband is Mexican.

As far as my mom was concerned with my wife/gf all she said after I asked her what she thought of her was "At least she is not black." I about shit my pants. But its an old way of thinking.

I should sum up that 3 kids later both our families get along really well.

I think our generation(people 35 and younger) are way more tolerant of everyone than the people who came before us which is a good thing. Think about it. In a thousand years or even less so many people will be mixed with so many races we probably won't even have to check the white/black/hispanic block on government forms anymore. It will be obsolete.

WTF? Yo are you sure your mom is ok? I know your wife could take that as an insult too eh? Well it might be an old way of thinking....

Yeah my mom is fine. I told my wife about and she just laughed. Like I said its an old way of thinking. Remember what time frame our parents grew up in and their influences were their parents. Plenty of black people feel the same way I am sure.

Also Riki I think you missed the whole point of my post. You really get blinded when you see racism towards blacks. Did you miss the part about her mom? Anyways the point of the post was that both sides were equally prejudice but after both sides seeing grandchildren involved put their differences aside for their benefit.

In America I have bad teeth. If I lived in England my teeth would be perfect.

• BattleFelonBattleFelon Member UncommonPosts: 483

@ OP: I'm a white guy who seriously dated a Japanese woman for several years, and I can attest that both my family and her family had some problems with it.  I ran into more resistance from her family, who saw Americans in Japan as loud fratboys only looking to satisfy their hentai fantasies. 

But here's the problem - there are plenty of drunken white boys teaching English in Japan who are just there to party and get laid by random girls they picked up at karaoke bars. Just as there are black guys who want to date white women as some kind of status symbol or to get back at the MAN (TM).  A girl's family may unfortunately focus on the lowest common denominator and you just might have to work a little harder than a guy of the same race/heritage to earn their trust.

The sad thing is they also might just be total bigots, in which case you're going to have to come to grips with the fact that they have the problem, not your girlfriend and you.

PS - I hate the term Caucasian. It sounds like its the name of some NPC tribe in Age Of Conan. Considering it's no longer socially acceptable to refer to Africans as "negroids" or Asians as "mongoloids," why do we still think its ok to say "Caucasian" or "caucasoid"? I'm fine with white but in college loved to put down on forms that I'm a European American.

• //\//\oo//\//\oo Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,767

To be honest, I find very few Black men to be attractive. I'm far more into Asians (Chinese and Japanese more than Korean) to be the best looking. Even better than most White's. For me, it's attraction. Though Will Smith and Denzel Washington are both hot, ;d It's rare to find a Black men attractive, or even my type. Would I date a black man? Sure, if I find him attractive and my type of course. But I never have dated outside my race (white) before. I've given up on dating altogether anyways. :D

Who cares about your sexual preference? This thread is about Rikimaru having troubles dating a girl outside of his race.

That is the problem with most women nowadays: They think they all deserve to be egocentric and inconsiderate, while they expect others to be the polar opposite. Sure.. on average women are physically weaker than men while in their younger years and are sometimes slave to their emotions during and after menstruation. That is still not a reason to avoid responsibility for your actions.

If women are indeed so weak and feebleminded as they all claim when they are cornered with responsibility, then we should take away their driving and voting priviledges as we do from all individuals that are not responsible for their actions.

I'm sorry if you're a woman and do not fit into that category; I know there are a lot of women that are strong-willed and intelligent (I've been fortunate enough to meet a few....  ) that put feminists to shame. Kudos to you.

PS: You could also post a pic of yourself showing how beautiful you are (or aren't). Until then (provided that you are pretty.. ) you're subject to the same constraints as the rest of us.  If you are indeed hot, then you have my sincerest apologies and can gladly spit on me anytime you'd like.

This is a sequence of characters intended to produce some profound mental effect, but it has failed.

Originally posted by seabass2003

Also Riki I think you missed the whole point of my post. You really get blinded when you see racism towards blacks. Did you miss the part about her mom? Anyways the point of the post was that both sides were equally prejudice but after both sides seeing grandchildren involved put their differences aside for their benefit.

Nah I read it. Just that I found that one by your mom funny and strange at the same time. I feel you though.

EDIT:

I like this Moo: If women are indeed so weak and feebleminded as they all claim when they are cornered with responsibility,.....

Not offending or being sexist or anything, but that is somthing powerful there. That seperates women from girls. If you ever seen a girl in this type of situation you would understand.

|

• ShakaAutunnShakaAutunn Member Posts: 70
    Originally posted by //\//\oo

Who cares about your sexual preference? Er dude..Im a girl. Riki asked our opinions on the subject, I gave mine. Lol? This thread is about Rikimaru having troubles dating a girl outside of his race.

That is the problem with most women nowadays: They think they all deserve to be egocentric and inconsiderate, while they expect others to be the polar opposite. Sure.. on average women are physically weaker than men while in their younger years and are sometimes slave to their emotions during and after menstruation. That is still not a reason to avoid responsibility for your actions. What actions are you talking about? I'm not egocentric or the likes at all. Am I picky? Damn straight I am.

If women are indeed so weak and feebleminded as they all claim when they are cornered with responsibility, then we should take away their driving and voting priviledges as we do from all individuals that are not responsible for their actions. I have NEVER met a woman who claims to be weak and "feebleminded" at all. I am not weak or feebleminded either.

I'm sorry if you're a woman and do not fit into that category; I know there are a lot of women that are strong-willed and intelligent (I've been fortunate enough to meet a few....  ) that put feminists to shame. Kudos to you. I hate feminists.

PS: You could also post a pic of yourself showing how beautiful you are (or aren't). Until then (provided that you are pretty.. ) you're subject to the same constraints as the rest of us.  If you are indeed hot, then you have my sincerest apologies and can gladly spit on me anytime you'd like. Lol, I'm not posting my picture, there's no reason too. None of you need to see it. I know I'm good looking, and I'm happy with the way I look. I don't need someone else to tell me that.

• forzaitaliaforzaitalia Member Posts: 137

it has nothing to do with racism or prejudice, it has to do with tradition.... for example, if ur italian - no russians or low class african americans ( high class OKAY), white- no black (sumtimes), white trailor trash  _ any1 iz ok ( as long as they lik nascar (ughhh)

• InflictionInfliction Member Posts: 1,115

Also Riki, from what I've seen in my limited time in South Carolina (lived near Columbia for about 4 months now, having moved here from Washington State), the general black population tends to be extemely bad with money, and I can almost guarantee you thats where most of the prejudice comes from. I'm not speaking simply my own personal beliefs, but from personal statistics I've noticed at my job (I sell cellphones for a Verizon dealer) most black people are unable to pass the simple credit check to get approved for a cellphone (they get the $400 max deposit per line 9/10 times).

I've been thinking about it some and I can't really figure out why. The cultures where I'm living now and where I grew up are vastly different I think, and I'm certainly not talking about all black persons everywhere, as that would be a very unfair assumption for me to make, but the parents are most likely worried you'll mess up their credit. Stereotyping as it may be, but you learn pretty quick in a sales position that those stereotypes are there for a reason.

I get paid only on commsision so I've pretty much had to learn to spot bad credit a mile away 

I nor my family has bad credit, but I do know where you are comming from with that. How could I mess up there credit by being her boyfriend?

|

Lol, I'm not posting my picture, there's no reason too. None of you need to see it. I know I'm good looking, and I'm happy with the way I look. I don't need someone else to tell me that.

That's the best indicator for insecurity. What's wrong with you? Are you fat, ugly, or born with a major handicap/defect? In any case, you do not have the privileges of an attractive woman and are dogmeat like the rest of us. No, you didn't respond to Riki about his problem, but told him how you weren't attracted to black people, which is a complete tangent. 

It's analogous to the following situation: A person asks you for directions to a bakery so he can buy bread and you tell him that you're a baker that hates bread. 

This is a sequence of characters intended to produce some profound mental effect, but it has failed.

• neschrianeschria Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

I've always told my kids they can date/marry anyone that they love, who also loves them and treats them well. My mother had been lecturing my teens about not dating outside their own race and religion, but she's stopped that since we had a talk about it. (I told her about my dating adventures in earlier years, and that was that.) My kids just sort of think she's a little too old fashioned for her own good, and perhaps a tad paranoid too.

Her reasoning is that people who have backgrounds that are too different from each other can never hope to have a happy, peaceful relationship in the long run. It's too much to overcome, she says. And she made some comments about how children of an interracial marriage would fare socially, at which point I asked if she'd been out of the house and looked around lately. She would say she's not being racist. I'd say she is. Draw your own conclusions.

This is where I draw the line: __________________.

• UrdigUrdig Member Posts: 1,260

I have a preference towards woman with dark hairr and complexion, but don't care about the race of the woman.  I find white woman and black woman equally attractive. 

My parents wouldn't have thrown a fit if I dated a black girl, but they wouldn't have been happy about either. 

What I never understood were people that are not racist, but don't believe in race mixing. 

Wish Darkfall would release.

• EggFteggEggFtegg Member Posts: 1,141

Originally posted by neschria

I've always told my kids they can date/marry anyone that they love, who also loves them and treats them well. My mother had been lecturing my teens about not dating outside their own race and religion, but she's stopped that since we had a talk about it. (I told her about my dating adventures in earlier years, and that was that.) My kids just sort of think she's a little too old fashioned for her own good, and perhaps a tad paranoid too.
    Her reasoning is that people who have backgrounds that are too different from each other can never hope to have a happy, peaceful relationship in the long run. It's too much to overcome, she says. And she made some comments about how children of an interracial marriage would fare socially, at which point I asked if she'd been out of the house and looked around lately. She would say she's not being racist. I'd say she is. Draw your own conclusions.

Well, that's probably right that it's good to have things in common with a partner, particularly in terms of religion and culture, which can be pretty big things not to have to share. Skin colour does often correlate with religion and culture, but by no means is it any kind of indicator in itself.

Social acceptance could be a reasonable issue to bring up if you're living in an area rife with racism, and there's an increased risk of social rejection or even assault for a mixed race couple.

That said, this kind of example, and from the OP, are often just excuses, hiding prejudice.

• ColdmeatColdmeat Member UncommonPosts: 3,407

Originally posted by //\//\oo Lol, I'm not posting my picture, there's no reason too. None of you need to see it. I know I'm good looking, and I'm happy with the way I look. I don't need someone else to tell me that.

That's the best indicator for insecurity. What's wrong with you? Are you fat, ugly, or born with a major handicap/defect? In any case, you do not have the privileges of an attractive woman and are dogmeat like the rest of us. No, you didn't respond to Riki about his problem, but told him how you weren't attracted to black people, which is a complete tangent.
    It's analogous to the following situation: A person asks you for directions to a bakery so he can buy bread and you tell him that you're a baker that hates bread.

You lost points for not pointing out the irony of "her" user name being 'Shaka'-something, and not finding black gents attractive...

Lol, I'm not posting my picture, there's no reason too. None of you need to see it. I know I'm good looking, and I'm happy with the way I look. I don't need someone else to tell me that.

That's the best indicator for insecurity. What's wrong with you? Are you fat, ugly, or born with a major handicap/defect? In any case, you do not have the privileges of an attractive woman and are dogmeat like the rest of us. No, you didn't respond to Riki about his problem, but told him how you weren't attracted to black people, which is a complete tangent. 

It's analogous to the following situation: A person asks you for directions to a bakery so he can buy bread and you tell him that you're a baker that hates bread. 

Dude, what is your deal? Why do you want to see my picture so damn much? Im not fat, or ugly or have any major "defect" as you put it.

Why would I want any special privileges as a "attractive" woman anyways? Everyone's defintion of "attractive" is completely different from the next. I don't see why you want to see my picture so bloody much. I'm not into posting my pictures on the internet so abunch of pervs can stare at it and wank off. Sorry, not for me. I respect myself to much for that.

And yes, I did respond to Riki. I simply stated why I myself have never dated outside of my race, due to the fact that I do not find many Blacks attractive. By doing so, I am telling him it is based soley on the person and what they are into. For many, it is racism, but not for all. I also did that in hope of showing him why I have never dated outside my race before, but it is an option should it ever come up.

You're analogous fails horribly. Try again though if you wish.

Originally posted by Coldmeat

That's the best indicator for insecurity. What's wrong with you? Are you fat, ugly, or born with a major handicap/defect? In any case, you do not have the privileges of an attractive woman and are dogmeat like the rest of us. No, you didn't respond to Riki about his problem, but told him how you weren't attracted to black people, which is a complete tangent.

It's analogous to the following situation: A person asks you for directions to a bakery so he can buy bread and you tell him that you're a baker that hates bread.

You lost points for not pointing out the irony of "her" user name being 'Shaka'-something, and not finding black gents attractive...

Lol? I happen to like my screen name. And erm, I NEVER said I dont find ANY blacks attractive. I said that it is RARE that I do. It's just not my thing. I also said that if I do find a black attractive, and that we actualy get along, that I'd date him. Lol.

And yes, I did respond to Riki. I simply stated why I myself have never dated outside of my race, due to the fact that I do not find many Blacks attractive. By doing so, I am telling him it is based soley on the person and what they are into. For many, it is racism, but not for all. I also did that in hope of showing him why I have never dated outside my race before, but it is an option should it ever come up.

YOU NO TAKE AWAY BASE!

.... bet you didnt' see that orange thing coming, Cold..... I sure didn't. I guess some seasons bring in jail time.  

Lil Autumn,

secure.hop.com/

There... maybe you should jump over the language hurdle before you consider dating, reading and replying to forum posts. I guess I should be thanking you for not showing that pic. Wait.. I think I hear sirens..... 

• ColdmeatColdmeat Member UncommonPosts: 3,407

YOU NO TAKE AWAY BASE!
    .... bet you didnt' see that orange thing coming, Cold..... I sure didn't. I guess some seasons bring in jail time.
    Lil Autumn,
    secure.hop.com/
    There... maybe you should jump over the language hurdle before you consider dating, reading and replying to forum posts. I guess I should be thanking you for not showing that pic. Wait.. I think I hear sirens.....

Dear Ms. Shaka-Whatsis. It's called humor, the 7th sense. I understand they're having an Independence Day Sale on it. ::::20::

YOU NO TAKE AWAY BASE!

.... bet you didnt' see that orange thing coming, Cold..... I sure didn't. I guess some seasons bring in jail time.  

Lil Autumn,

secure.hop.com/

There... maybe you should jump over the language hurdle before you consider dating, reading and replying to forum posts. I guess I should be thanking you for not showing that pic. Wait.. I think I hear sirens..... 

You have some morbid fashionation with me it seems. Can't find something better to do than harrasse a girl for her picture, than go "omg noes, you're really only 12" because I refuse to show my picture to someone I don't even know? Lol, nice try.

I love how you imply that I'm below the age of 18, when you're the one acting like an imature brat. There's no need to be ashamed of your age if you're still in high school, (or middle school for that matter.) Also, it's spelt Autunn. If I had ment Autumn (the season) I would of spelt it as Autumn. But I clearly did not want it as the season, and thus, spelt it as Autunn, which is a completely different word altogether.

Lol.

You have some morbid fashionation with me it seems. Can't find something better to do than harrasse a girl for her picture, than go "omg noes, you're really only 12" because I refuse to show my picture to someone I don't even know? Lol, nice try.

I love how you imply that I'm below the age of 18, when you're the one acting like an imature brat. There's no need to be ashamed of your age if you're still in high school, (or middle school for that matter.) Also, it's spelt Autunn. If I had ment Autumn (the season) I would of spelt it as Autumn. But I clearly did not want it as the season, and thus, spelt it as Autunn, which is a completely different word altogether.

Lol.

Nope. I assumed you were ugly, because you refused a picture. You then made it clear then you aren't necessarily ugly, because you are lying about your age.

Why did I change assumptions? Because no 18 year old with an elementary school education spells that horribly and has the terminology of a 10 year old. I'm sorry for being rough on you, but I know 8 year olds that can write better.

What you should do is the following: Copy and paste what you want to post in Winword and then click on the red squigglies.

Don't be afraid if your entire post is just a bunch of em; it's a learning process and might take you some time depending on your faculties.

Do you know what happens when little girls don't go to school and instead hang out with the cool kids?

They kill baby bears with their cigarette butts!

• ViolentYViolentY Member Posts: 1,458

That's the best indicator for insecurity. What's wrong with you? Are you fat, ugly, or born with a major handicap/defect? In any case, you do not have the privileges of an attractive woman and are dogmeat like the rest of us. 

Yes, that is the best indicator for insecurity. Obviously you don't need someone else to tell you that you look good, but if you truly have no insecurities, then inversely, you should have absolutely no problem showing a picture of yourself, because you wouldn't care about what other people tell you, because you "know [you're] good looking."

Oh, and the part in gold isn't just to visually separate that, the gold is also for metaphor. That line is golden. If it was some dude on here saying how he's like a better-looking Brad Pitt, but he doesn't need to show a picture to prove it, he'd be subject to character assassination. Why is it different if the genders are switched?

-Machiavelli