Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PVP = Immaturity???

imasigimasig Member Posts: 149

On some boards there has been some discussion about PVPers being immature.  I like to PVP in some games, and some games I don't.  But whether I want to or not has to do with the PVP game play and not the community.  I think what most people are relating the immaturity to is the trash talking that sometimes commences in PVP.  I'm usually silent when I play mmo's but I'm not bothered at all when someone starts talking trash.  I look at it like this:  When you play your friend during a game of John Madden Football on a console do you say nice things about him during the game?  Well maybe some of you do but usually people are insulting each other from the beginning to the end of the game which I find quite funny.

So what is everyones opinion on this?  Is there a problem with PVP immaturity or are people just taking the trash talking too seroiusly?

Comments

• AdrealAdreal Member Posts: 2,087
    There's nothing wrong with PvP. It's certainly not immature in my opinion. It's the people who are PvPing that determine their own conduct. In fact, if you die and you're a good sport about it then that's showing maturity. A lot of the time, however, that doesn't really happen. If you kill someone you might have to squelch them from sending you an endless stream of "flattering words".

"Put your foot where your mouth is." - Wisdom from my grandfather
    "Paper or plastic? ... because I'm afraid I'll have to suffocate you unless you put this bag on your head..." - Ethnitrek
    AC1: Wierding from Harvestgain

• BigPeelerBigPeeler Member Posts: 1,270

maybe to some extent but as an all out generalization, its a pretty bad one...

its true PvP does bring out the few immature kids who just get their jollies from causing other people grief, but i have also met alot of really great people in PvP games... actually the game that IMO has the best community around is an all out PvP game...

i say, the only people who really say that all those PvP'ers/PK'ers are "immature", are just sour about dying once in awhile...

so does PvP = immaturity... if u like to whine about it every little time u lose in a PvP match, then yes... yes it does... if u actually look past the "that guy just killed me, he must be a 12 year old immature kid" and actually meet a couple of these people on the other end, then no it doesnt...

no matter where u come from... no matter where u are now... no matter where ur going... its all about the EXP

--------------------------------------

• aLeX666aLeX666 Member Posts: 153
    It really has nothing to do with it. Take a game like CS for example... there are always a few morons who always talk BS and they are the one people remember the most. There are a ton of players who keep their mouth shut and simply play the game. Immaturity is everywhere. I've seen more immature people in EQ where there's no PvP at all than in UO pre-trammel. In EQ, people fought each other verbally for items, camping spots or just BS talking about how ubb3r they are. Anyways... some people really lack self-confidence to care about what a few pixels character has to say. Stop evading from the real world and learn to face your problems. That is maturity.

"I am trying to see things from your perspective but I just can't get my head that far up my @$$."

• StereoviewerStereoviewer Member Posts: 238

I think PvP is about the best way to make a MMORPG "mature" (we are all kids if we play games though, even if we´re grownups image ). Think of all the possiblities for politics, economics, military strategy, diplomacy and conspiracies that can me intertwined with a good PvP system, as in Mourning, Dragon Empires or Darkfall.

• imasigimasig Member Posts: 149

All of these post have been in line with my beliefs about PVP as well.  But jump over to the COH board and the complaints about no PVP are answered with people saying that no PVP in an mmorpg is the best thing for it.image

My best PVP experience was in EVE online.  If you haven't played it you want understand what I'm about to describe.  Me and my buddy we're camping a stargate in a low security system in empire space (back when you could still do that.)  I was in a dominix and he was in an apoc.  Another pair of battleships jumped into our system in a megathron and another apoc battleship.  They had scouted us and were ready for battle.  We were outmatched ship for ship but we weren't about to back down from the fight since good battles are hard to come by.  They both microwarp drived into close range knowing that we were setup for doing damage at a distance.  Thankfully I had a couple of short range weapons on just in case.  My friend and I both concentrated fire on the apoc which was ramming me and firing close range weapons on me.  The opposing party was not concentrating fire and we were able to take out the apoc without losing one of our ships.  But we both had sustained heavy damage and the megathron eventually took out our apoc.  That left a beat up dominix against a barely scratched megathron.  Ok, I said, I'm getting out of this fight.  I warped to my safe spot.  Waited a few minutes.  I thought to myself, "If I warp to the station I'll be under the protection of the sentry guns until I dock.  I know he's set up for short range so he wont be able to hit me without taking taking damage from the sentry guns. Right?"  Yep, I was right but the megathron pilot didn't care.  He was at the station waiting for me.  He microwarps right on top of me again throwing my ship out of alignment so I can't warp out.  He starts pounding me and taking massive damage from the sentry guns while doing it.  He eventually destroyed me.  Shortly after I was destroyed the sentries got him before he could warp.

At that point the battle was over and he started to talk trash.  All I could say was "nice."  If someone had the guts to sacrifice a 100 million battleship just to kill me then I can respect that.  Friendly conversion ensued after that.  Well after 600 million in lost ships and equipment we replaced everything with insurance and later on that night we were all in the same gang teaming up.

Ahhh fun times.  You can't tell me the mission grind of COH will ever top any PVP battle like that.

• Maverick4136Maverick4136 Member Posts: 50
    I dont like PvP that much, because i get bothered by the immature people that trash talk and are bad winners. I dont mind it when i fight someone mature and when they beat me they dont start bad mouthin me. If i win i tell the person i beat somethin like good game, or something to that extent. But in every MMORPG there will be immature people PvP or not.

every game will have immature people, at least with PvP u can kick their ass's =P

no matter where u come from... no matter where u are now... no matter where ur going... its all about the EXP

• digitydarkmandigitydarkman Member Posts: 2,194

Originally posted by aLeX666
    It really has nothing to do with it. Take a game like CS for example... there are always a few morons who always talk BS and they are the one people remember the most. There are a ton of players who keep their mouth shut and simply play the game. Immaturity is everywhere. I've seen more immature people in EQ where there's no PvP at all than in UO pre-trammel. In EQ, people fought each other verbally for items, camping spots or just BS talking about how ubb3r they are. Anyways... some people really lack self-confidence to care about what a few pixels character has to say. Stop evading from the real world and learn to face your problems. That is maturity.

lol

*thinks of a time in cs* Killing The Server Admin To Much, And Youll Prly Get Banned Cuz He Sux Hes Pissed And He Can Ban You

Getting to many headshots makes you a hacker to all the little kids who just started playing

*thinks of a time on uo* Walking on eastroads just bored see prly 10 names pop on the screen get ganked by every single one of then and they all surround my dead body and call me a newbie.. i love idiots like that lol

• RycheanRychean Member Posts: 54
    yes. 

• Billius8Billius8 Member Posts: 574

I imagine all sorts of players indulge in P vs P games, but I'd think the immature would be especially drawn into it. (What better way to act immature than to senselessly gank and grief other players?)

I will say that I find P vs P distracting and get no real thrill from it, even when I'm the victor.  I want to explore a game world and be in wonder, without the interruptions of those who would ruin my gameplay.

how do u non-pvp'ers play like that though?... i've played TONS of MMORPG's both PvP and non-PvP and without a doubt, the BEST times i've ever had in MMORPG's all have something to do with PvP...

exploring, leveling up and meeting new people can only go so far... its fun but u dont get that rush that u would normally get from being involved in some hardcore PvP... none of that stuff can get u pumping like having a group of PK's hop out of nowhere and fighting (or running) for ur life...

the most fun i have ever had in an MMORPG without a doubt had to be in Lineage 2... me and a friend (Zettis) were powerleveling in a popular little spot just inside TI dungeon off floating eyes and skeles... i was a Human Rogue (level 24), he was a Dark Elf Palus Knight (level 27 or 28 i think)...

anyways after about 45 minutes of powerleveling, a group of about 2 human mystics and 4 human fighters come down (all about level 17-19) and tell us if we dont leave, theres gonna be trouble... of course i dont take that kinda crap so i just keep hunting...

not even 20 seconds later i get a wind strike to my back and the mage starts talkin sh!t... WELL not even 5 seconds later, he's laying on the ground cuz Zettis had just smoked his ass, but now he was swarmed by the other 5 and taking quite a bit of damage...

well i run over there and land a Mortal Blow right to the other mages back, nearly killing him in 1 hit (mortal blow kicks ass ^^... well if its lands...) so he starts running up the stairs... of course being a mage he was slow as hell and it didnt take more then 5 seconds for me to catch up and end his ass...

now there was still the matter of the 4 fighters pummeling Zettis, so i immediatly run down the stairs just to see Zettis running upstairs with the 4 of them right on his ass... i immediatly blast another Mortal Blow into one of their backs fallowed by a spam of soulshots which did quick work of him but now the 3 of them had turned on me and its not like Zettis could do much with the 20 or so HP he had left...

although missing my next Mortal Blow, i did manage to take another one of them down but i was down to only about 50HP and i had to run... i threw "Sprint" on and bailed as quick as i could up the stairs and down the main hallway just to find Zettis running back my way with a half full HP bar (guess he got a quick heal from a mage or something o_0)...

the 2 fighters stopped chasing me and started again on him but he managed to take down another one and get a couple good shots in on the last one before the last fighter pussed out and ran ^^...

all went down in a matter of minutes (if that) but damn it was tense o_0... overall i got a few extra PvP points and was able to show up some greedy kids though ^^ good stuff... and we got our hunting spot back (after resting for a few minutes, and patting each other on the back for a good job)

i ended up running into two of the fighters a few days after that (N3mpt or something... cant remember others name) and they both apologized for the whole thing and we ended up hunting for awhile (^^ happy ending)

there was alot more good PvP times and all but that had to be my favorite so far...

what im trying to say though, is without PvP that whole evening would have just been hours of uneventful leveling... but DAMN that was fun...

• aLeX666aLeX666 Member Posts: 153

Originally posted by digitydarkman

Originally posted by aLeX666

lol
    *thinks of a time in cs* Killing The Server Admin To Much, And Youll Prly Get Banned Cuz He Sux Hes Pissed And He Can Ban You
    Getting to many headshots makes you a hacker to all the little kids who just started playing
    *thinks of a time on uo* Walking on eastroads just bored see prly 10 names pop on the screen get ganked by every single one of then and they all surround my dead body and call me a newbie.. i love idiots like that lol

Did I say there were no immature players? No I didn't... there are a plenty of immature players in online games, PvP or not. Griefers are a minority, yet most people only remember those who have griefed him. Rancorous players are lacking of self-confidence when they accord too much importance to what others say against them on Internet. I've seen a plenty of EQ players call each other newbs or other names. Is it because of PvP? Of course not. Bashing a mindless monster over and over doesn't require any maturity at all, don't you agree? Having to deal with others, mature or not, requires maturity because it interfers into human relationship, even though relationships on the net are simply virtual they reflect your ability to deal with others.

"I am trying to see things from your perspective but I just can't get my head that far up my @$$."