Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ranged combat

Good day fine gents and ladies.

I've been looking at various posts around this forum and I haven't seen anyone ask about this yet.

Will ranged combat (bows and crossbows) be limited to the Ranger class? Of course other classes will be able to wield them (I hope) but will it be built like in World of Warcraft where only hunters really benefit from the ranged weapon?

In other words, can I be a Conqueror and still inflict serious damage with a bow? Or do I have to be a Ranger to hurt people from a distance without using spells?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I am aware of only Ranger having the "bow and crossbow" skill when you look at the official homepage, but I hoped someone could clearify it all a bit.

Comments

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Originally posted by xskoll

Good day fine gents and ladies.
    I've been looking at various posts around this forum and I haven't seen anyone ask about this yet.
    Will ranged combat (bows and crossbows) be limited to the Ranger class? Of course other classes will be able to wield them (I hope) but will it be built like in World of Warcraft where only hunters really benefit from the ranged weapon?
    In other words, can I be a Conqueror and still inflict serious damage with a bow? Or do I have to be a Ranger to hurt people from a distance without using spells?
    Thanks in advance!

Edit: I am aware of only Ranger having the "bow and crossbow" skill when you look at the official homepage, but I hoped someone could clearify it all a bit.
    I know that a Bear Shaman at later levels can be proficient with the Bow =)

http://www.wikiaoc.com/Classes#Weapon_Proficiencies

I don't think that the Conqueror will be able to do serious damage with a bow no.  Feat lines of the Conqueror I don't think go down the same path as a Ranger.

• How do feats work?
      • Feats are the meat of character development. There will be hundreds of different feats in the game, and you will both choose them as you go and have some automatically assigned to you. Feats can do anything from modifying statistics to controlling which items you are allowed to use. One feat can, for instance, allow you to use a special form of armor, while another feat would allow you to perform certain attacks. The feat system in Age of Conan is extremely elaborate, giving you the chance to create characters that are as unique as yourself.
    • How do you obtain feats?
      • You obtain feats every few levels as they become available to you, and you will have to train to get them. Training is done by computer-controlled characters that you find in various locations of the world, and you will have to pay money for the trainer to teach you the feats you want.
    • Will players be able to use any rogue or thief specific feats?
      • Yes, absolutely. There are several specific feats for the rogue classes, and we are planning to implement basic functions like hiding and pick-pocketing. We’re also aiming to include climbing and lock-picking so that players will be able to break into places and steal stuff. Even Conan himself, who now is King of Aquilonia, used to be a thief and the Conan lore is fraught with situations where characters have stolen from other people. It is a part of Hyborian life.

• balle68balle68 Member Posts: 134

i a fan of rangers and ranged combat and stuff

but with the uniq combat system ill try a melee class first i think

Always do the right thing

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857

All Classes will have access to some form of ranged combat, no ifs ands or buts. However, some might be restricted from say... the longbow, since that particular weapon requires years of special training. That conquerer will almost certainly be able to use a crossbow, shortbow and/or thrown weapons, he just won't be nearly as good with any of them as a Ranger specced for the weapon type would be.

I have a feeling though that most classes will only end up using their ranged weaponry as a dead last resort, or perhaps to get one quick hit in from a distance before charging in.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• SickpupSickpup Member Posts: 382

Conquerer Chucker group ftw.

• xskollxskoll Member Posts: 12

Thanks for your answeres, the conqueror was just an example though. and I was thinking mostly about defending your keeps and towers etc, charging out of your fortified positions to face a force head on might not always be the best idea and therefor I thought (and hoped) that most classes will be able to use a bow and do "okay" damage, and not like in World of Warcraft where it's pointless to shoot people if you're not a spellcaster or a hunter.

I should read up on various wiki links etc I guess, but I'll ask here aswell: The combat system is pretty much "varied attacks" so I thought will I do more damage if I shoot someone in the head? will he be (temporarily) slowed if I shoot him in the leg and so forth? or is it more like in World of Warcraft (I take this example since it's the mmo I've played the most) where it's all based on various skills/traits/feats/talents rather than your aim/player skill?

• RoyspiRoyspi Member Posts: 202

if shooting arrows is anything like FPS games I'm going to play a ranger for sure. Can we say imbalanced?

edit: they nerfed the ranger!

• IcePROjectIcePROject Member Posts: 41

Today Clan of Conan have a ranged portion, so you might get the information you want. So far only an italian version is avaible (don't ask me why) so here's the link to the official version (it's not up yet but should be anytime soon) :

Clan of Conan #9