Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What classes should I choose?

PkhBaskoPkhBasko Member UncommonPosts: 59

I was thinking first Black Mage then Paladin and then Dragoon? TELL ME YOUR THOUGHTS...

And does race matter?

Thanks for your input

PkhBasko

Comments

• Dippy11Dippy11 Member UncommonPosts: 283

Sounds good, but you might want to think about sub jobs as well.  Classes that complement Black Mage are White Mage, Summoner, and Red Mage.  You can use other classes as sub jobs, but they won't help, and sub jobs are rather important.  You'd also want to level up Warrior for your Paladin, so that you can use provoke, but assuming you level up Black Mage a bit first you'll probably learn that. 

Race does make a noticeable difference in this game.  Tarus aren't as good at melee rule at magic, Galka aren't as good at magic but rule at melee, Humans are well-rounded, Elves have the highest strength, Mithra are hot (and they have high agility).  However, there are plenty of good Taru warriors and Galka mages, they just need to worry about their a gear a little more.  So I suggest either going with human, or just pick the race to go with your first class of choice.  Of course, if there's a specific race you want, don't worry about it's restrictions, it won't cause you to suck. 

• PkhBaskoPkhBasko Member UncommonPosts: 59

So how exactly do the sub job work?

• Daedalus732Daedalus732 Member Posts: 589

Originally posted by PkhBasko

When you get to level 20, you are eligible for the sub-job quest. Sub-jobs let you pick a second job that's one-half your main job level.

For example, a 20 Black mange can have a level 10 White mage at maximum.

I would recommend playing as a White mage though. Every group needs white mages.

• SatimasuSatimasu Member UncommonPosts: 900

Originally posted by Daedalus732

When you get to level 20, you are eligible for the sub-job quest. Sub-jobs let you pick a second job that's one-half your main job level.

For example, a 20 Black mange can have a level 10 White mage at maximum.

I would recommend playing as a White mage though. Every group needs white mages.

Actually, it's 18 for the subjob quest. Level 20 is for the chocobo quest.

Race never matters. You can make any job work with any race.

To be the best, you must help each other become the best.
    FFXI Character: Satimasu
    FFXI Server: Valefor
    FFXIV Character: Tamorae Fonteil

Not only do you get the spells/skills of that sub job, you get extra stats based on what the class is (like Int., Agi. or whatever). 

Black mages with Summoner sub jobs have a huge mana pool, while black mages with white mage sub jobs have the ability to heal for your group.  It's all up to what you want.  Having the ability to heal, even though it's not your main job, can get you into groups as nuker/backup healer.  But then again, having more mana and being able to summon pets can be just as valuable.  Some people will level up multiple sub jobs and be ready to change based on what the group wants/needs. 

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

Originally posted by Satimasu

Wrong.

The second sentense isn't completely wrong, but race DO matter.

OP, if you wanna have a mix of different types of jobs (melee, mages, etc), play as Hume, or Elvaan as second choice. Humes are not best in anything, it's the "average in everything" race. If you wanna play any mage jobs, don't roll as Galka.

Originally posted by Netspook

Wrong.

OP, if you wanna have a mix of different types of jobs (melee, mages, etc), play as Hume, or Elvaan as second choice. Humes are not best in anything, it's the "average in everything" race. If you wanna play any mage jobs, don't roll as Galka.

The player matters. Not the race. Using a race that has weaknesses in that job just means, that it takes more skill. Elvaan are basically the worst choice for Black Mages. Somehow, I have it at max level. Their lake of MP can make them difficult to use in mage jobs. But that doesn't mean you should go to another race to suit your job. You will be leveling more than one job. You pick what race you like best. Not by stats. It's you that has to look at that character all the time.

Wrong.

The player matters. Not the race. Using a race that has weaknesses in that job just means, that it takes more skill. Elvaan are basically the worst choice for Black Mages. Somehow, I have it at max level. Their lake of MP can make them difficult to use in mage jobs. But that doesn't mean you should go to another race to suit your job. You will be leveling more than one job. You pick what race you like best. Not by stats. It's you that has to look at that character all the time.

Quote from http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/Races :

If you want to be the strongest melee and plan to stack Strength gear you'd choose Elvaan. If you want the most intelligence and largest MP pool for your black mage, choose Tarutaru. Finally, if you want the most rounded stats because you plan on leveling several different types jobs, Hume is a good choice.

Race does matter - period! It can be argued how much it matters, but saying it doesn't matter at all, is a pure lie, nothing less.

Wrong.

Quote from http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/Races :

If you want to be the strongest melee and plan to stack Strength gear you'd choose Elvaan. If you want the most intelligence and largest MP pool for your black mage, choose Tarutaru. Finally, if you want the most rounded stats because you plan on leveling several different types jobs, Hume is a good choice.

Race does matter - period! It can be argued how much it matters, but saying it doesn't matter at all, is a pure lie, nothing less.

All that effects is at lower levels. The higher you get, the less you have to worry about the weaknesses. All weaknesses from every race to a job can be evened out from equipment. It gets to a point where your base stats become more even at the higher levels. So, that still doesn't mean much. You pick what race you like. Don't pick a race simply because it will be easier to level this or that job. Race had never had decision on what job I chose for my Elvaan. If you were to play by what race is best at what job. You might as well make another character whenever you want to level a job they might be weak at.

• RproRpro Member Posts: 89

Race matters to a certain degree. That doesn't mean that a Galka mage and Taru melee can't do good, they just need better equipment than usual for their job. A well equipped Taru warrior will beat a poorly equipped Elvan warrior in damage. However, if you have an Elvan warrior and a Taru warrior with equal equipment, the Elvan will obviously do more damage.

I just gotta add this too. If you plan on leveling black mage, DO NOT sub summoner. All it does is increase your manapool slightly. Blackmages aren't nearly as MP dependant as red mage or white mage and pets are useless when subed. Whitemage and redmage add very valuable backup healing and some lower level buffs which help parties alot.

Originally posted by Rpro

Race matters to a certain degree. That doesn't mean that a Galka mage and Taru melee can't do good, they just need better equipment than usual for their job. A well equipped Taru warrior will beat a poorly equipped Elvan warrior in damage. However, if you have an Elvan warrior and a Taru warrior with equal equipment, the Elvan will obviously do more damage.
    I just gotta add this too. If you plan on leveling black mage, DO NOT sub summoner. All it does is increase your manapool slightly. Blackmages aren't nearly as MP dependant as red mage or white mage and pets are useless when subed. Whitemage and redmage add very valuable backup healing and some lower level buffs which help parties alot.

Ah, it seems I've used the wrong example.  Listen to this guy about not subbing summoner, he seems to know what he's talking about.  I haven't played for a long time and I was a Galka monk/war and other melee classes.  I didn't get far as a Galka caster, since I was spending all my Gil on my Monk.  Damn those Ochiodo's Kote or whatever they were called. 

• XxjagoxXXxjagoxX Member Posts: 148

All of them

• jj85624jj85624 Member Posts: 153

DRAGOON BABY!!!!! i love those blue dragons ^^ they are so cute!

and they use different skills when you have different secondary profession.

oh, and they spears are cooooooooll too.

just pick dragoon! over...

I guess you could say that race matters to a certain degree. But when I started XI, I picked an Elvaan and picked Black Mage as it's job. Little did I know that it was one of the worst choices I could have made. That didn't stop me from leveling it anyway. I probably would have regretted remaking a Hume or something just so my stats would be better suited for that job.  If that's how you like to be. Then by all means, go ahead.

Well what would go good with a Paladin then for the subjob? What class should I start out with, after that class I will become a Paladin, then what? I do get a third choice do I not?

Well what would go good with a Paladin then for the subjob? What class should I start out with, after that class I will become a Paladin, then what? I do get a third choice do I not?
    You get as as many choices are you want.  Play all if you want. 

The only subjob that I see working with Paladin is warrior.  A Paladin is a tank, so warrior's provoke and other skills/stats would help.  So you could start with warrior?  It's a good class to start with. 

• ShanniaShannia Member Posts: 2,096

You can play them all!  That is the best part of FFXI, the choice is yours without having to re-roll.

Fear not fanbois, we are not trolls, let's take off your tin foil hat and learn what VAPORWARE is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

"Vaporware is a term used to describe a software or hardware product that is announced by a developer well in advance of release, but which then fails to emerge after having well exceeded the period of development time that was initially claimed or would normally be expected for the development cycle of a similar product."

If I don't like my warrior how do I change him?

If I don't like my warrior how do I change him?

Head into your Mog House in the city and there will be the option to change jobs

• newblooddnewbloodd Member Posts: 107

I am a White Mage and I was planning on subbing Summoner so I can basiclaly be a 1 man group sometimes. Would that be a good choice? Also could somebody give me some info on the Blue Mage and Dragoon?

How do I start the money making skills like fishing and the others?

Originally posted by newbloodd

I am a White Mage and I was planning on subbing Summoner so I can basiclaly be a 1 man group sometimes. Would that be a good choice? Also could somebody give me some info on the Blue Mage and Dragoon?

SMN (Summoner) isn't a bad choice for WHM. But it won't let you be a 1 man group. The only solo-job in this game, is BST (Beastmaster). I'm not talking about the early lvls though. Note that if you plan on lvling SMN, getting the avatars (summons), will take a lot of time and effort.

Personally I lvld BLM to 37, and used it as a sub for my WHM all the way to 75. Worked perfectly for me, and invites were never a problem.

How do I start the money making skills like fishing and the others?

Crafting isn't a good money maker in the early stages of this game. It takes a lot of time, and usually a great deal of money before you can start to earn a profit on it. What differs from other games, is that you can do ALL kinds of crafting with one single toon. Visit guild to start up on crafting, you'll find them in Bastok, San d'Oria and Windurst. "Crafting headquarters" are guilds in this game, what other games call guilds, are called Linkshells in FFXI.

Okay thank you! If you have anymore interesting info to help me please let me know...Thanks for your help!

For fishing, just buy a rod and some little worms for bait. Cast your line and fish moat carps. They are the great for selling. You will also catch other fish that will skill up your fishing skill. So, you can level fishing quite high just from a starting city.

Where do I buy a rod and bait?