Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would I like Eve?

WraithmireWraithmire Member Posts: 328

Hello, first, to be honest I am not exactly sure what I am looking for in a MMORPG. So I will list the MMORPGs I've paid for and say what I dislike/liked about them. Next, I do know there is a trial but I don't want lots of games on my PC to slow it down. That happened earlier this year, downloaded a bunch of MMORPGs and it bogged my PC down and I had to reinstall.

Now then, first about me, I'm 18 years old (19 in August) and been playing MMORPGs since 1999. I do have free time, and some days I spend most of my time in game while other days I may only spend 20-30 minutes in game. I am also anti-social in real life, and that follows me into games. I have a hard time having conversations with people so I spend a lot of my time going solo (I do group so).

Now for the MMORPGs I've played. (Not in really particular order, just whatever comes to mind)

1. Played Asheron's Call back in 1999 until 2001, my first MMORPG I played (Morningthaw server). The world was huge and open, I could solo any time I wanted and if I wanted to group to get those rare items that I wanted I would. I didn't need to worry about grouping all the time and when I wanted I could still talk to people. Over time so, the graphics became to out dated for me and I moved on to AC2, also many of my friends started leaving that I made in game and that is when I left. Great game, and looking back can't find much that I didn't like about it...one thing so that does stick out is a lot of it was a large grind, which in later mmorpgs did become a problem for me just grinding all the time.

2. Asheron's Call 2 from release to a couple months after, this was different than AC, I didn't play long but it did have unique features. But it just didn't satisfy me for some reason, I can't really put my finger on what I liked or didn't like...just had mixed feelings.

3. Dark Age of Camelot, only played a couple weeks from release...I never got to end game because the huge grind to get there and I got bored really quick...but the end game seemed really good, and I heard its changed but back when I played that was a big problem with it for me.

4. Horizons, only a couple weeks also, hugely disappointed...I did learn a lesson so, never read up on a mmorpg and get hyped up for it. So many features are still not in game as promised at release. And I never figured out what happened to the dynamic borders that the npcs were supposed to have...I didn't like any aspect of this game.

5. Final Fantasy XI, I only played a week on this one, again there seemed to be a lot of grind with this game. I can't really say what features I liked or didn't like because I didn't play long enough...but one thing was it seemed too group focused.

6. Star Wars Galaxies, well tons of features I liked...housing, large worlds, busy cities (in the first days of the game), many crafting professions, many classes, could tame pets, player cities. Forgot how long I played, but one thing that bothered me was the world seemed empty of people or creatures to fight...I could run for 15-20 minutes without seeing anything. Which might I add, in Asheron's Call the world was always populated everywhere you went pretty much with players or monsters.

7. City of Heroes, loved the way you could create so many characters that looked different...I never saw anyone that looked like me. Again so, the grind came and it didn't seem like it had any goals that wanted me to keep playing, one of them since there were no items to collect or anything.

8. World of Warcraft, I'm still subscribed to this since release (on and off so) so my memory is freshest of this. I love how I can solo any time I want unless I want to raid that is, but that isn't required, I can still do other stuff without having the best equipment. I notice no grind in this game, always people talking and since I'm on a PvP server I always have to keep a look out for any alliance that might want to kill me. A few problems so is the really bad community. I did get lucky so and joined a guild that was only for 18+ years or older, but having to run around listening to general, trade chat, local defense chat or say/yell etc is still bad to have to be listened to. And turning all those off pretty much just makes it a single player game with occasional talking if a guildmate comes on. Also, the PvP is the worse I've seen...no one pvps in the wild barely or just occasionally and battlegrounds capturing the flag is pretty lame especially when two sides are at war...in war should be killing and capturing territory, not capturing a flag that gets reset after the battle is over. That does bring me to another point, no capturing territory makes it really boring and pointless.

So I'm trying to find a new mmorpg, and the only one I haven't given a try yet is Eve. So with my history of MMORPGs, maybe it will give an idea of what I'm looking for. Thank you for your help :)

-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!
I have a Youtube channel for video games! http://www.youtube.com/user/Vendayn

Comments

• NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312

I think the biggest hit your going to take will be from your self-declared anti-social behavior. Now as long as you stay in the "small time" its not a big deal, but to accomplish the big stuff your going to need to have to be able to work with people... A lot of people.... and in some cases they may be in a boss position.

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320

I asked the same question you did a while back. Let me tell you what I learned from the responses.

1) This game is ruthless.

2) No area is 100% safe. At any point you can die. It's a PvP FFA. Accept it.

3) The death penalty is stiff. If your ship blows up, you have to get a new ship. If your escape pods is blasted you revert back to your newest clone. Insurance can help but you have to be on top of it. Don't go outside with anything you don't want to loose. (No one told me why you'd want anything important if you can loose it.)

4) This game is ruthless. (I said it before, but it really is ruthless so it's worth mentioning twice.)

5) You can't get out of your ship. (Not an issue for me, but it is for others.)

6) The economic model is unchained capitalism which means you can be cheated, conned, and robbed. It's all part of the game.

7) Trust no one but your own corp (guild). Sometimes, not even them.

8) You can be what you want. There are plenty of areas to specialize in.

9) The game is set up so even a novice can "quickly" run with the veterns.

10) I solidly believe this game has what it takes to be around for years to come.

• Tecam_HundTecam_Hund Member Posts: 1

It is fairly hard to tell with EVE if a person would like it or not. EVE Online is a cult classic in my eyes; some get hooked after the first hour, and some grow to hate it.

Being a veteran of MMORPGs you should be able to appreciate EVE for what it is or realize it is not a game for you. The game is very different from anything else on the market. It is very complex and extremely competitive, however I think it still allows for casual players to have great time.

General atmosphere is cold and unforgiving. The world can feel very hostile at times (as space should). It is a sort of game where you absolutely need friends even if you decide to play alone. Unless there is someone you can trust and count on it will become very hard.

The learning curve is very steep. Playing through a tutorial is a must, and then finding a good corp would be a large benefit. I am not sure what else to add. EVE is very difficult to describe. I'll just add that it is a sandbox sort of game, and you make what you want of it. I was playing for 2.5 years, and it never gets old. It might seem hopelessly hard at times though .

In short, sign up for the free trial and try it yourself. The client isn't big and can be downloaded from the official site. It doesn't take an up to date system to run it either. Good luck.

• WraithmireWraithmire Member Posts: 328

Okay, does sound pretty interesting. Sounds exciting too.

I heard that you can upgrade the graphics by changing things in a file in the game folder? How would one do that?

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700

Originally posted by Wraithmire

Okay, does sound pretty interesting. Sounds exciting too.
    I heard that you can upgrade the graphics by changing things in a file in the game folder? How would one do that?

Not sure who told you that but they were mistaken.   The current graphics are quite good.  There is a HUGE graphics update coming out at the end of the year/beginning of next year, however (Revelations III) which will also include the ability to get out of your ship and walk about in stations and interact with various facilities and other players.

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

• Nu11u5Nu11u5 Member Posts: 597

Originally posted by Wraithmire

There used to be a way to 'unlock' options for anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering but that was it. Don't know why they were hidden in the first place, but regardless, they seem to have been removed in the expansion.

You should still be able to get AA and AF by changing the settings on your graphics card assuming its up to snuff.

As for the graphics engine re-write, its planned for release before the end of the year. It will require a DX9 and Shader-Model 3 compliant graphics card. There will also be a slightly different engine made for DX10 as well. The "classic" graphics engine will still be available for older hardware.

//insert sig here
  • SaresitySaresity Member Posts: 10

Eve is great because you can take the game at your own pace.  The only problem is that you robably need multiple accounts to do everything well. 

• WraithmireWraithmire Member Posts: 328

Well, haven't played long, but I already like Eve a lot:) We'll see what happens over the following days of my trial. Big change coming from WoW, not just the community (which is really good in Eve), but the game is challenging and I'm still learning a lot.

So far, its good...looking forward to pvp, but that isn't for awhile yet. I am not in any corp yet, but I do have one in mind which fits my play style. I have to decide if I'll pay afterwards, and once I decide for sure I'll pay I'll be able to join.

• VivixVivix Member Posts: 17

I hate this game/I love this game/I hate this game/I ...

love this game!

I've just lost my first ship, was milliseconds away from being podded ... and then had that sinking feeling I'm sure all players get (new and not-so) when they realize they forgot to insure.

Sigh.

The Singularity is Near ...

• BigDave7481BigDave7481 Member Posts: 298
    Originally posted by Vivix

I hate this game/I love this game/I hate this game/I ...
    love this game!
    I've just lost my first ship, was milliseconds away from being podded ... and then had that sinking feeling I'm sure all players get (new and not-so) when they realize they forgot to insure.
    Sigh.

Yup dieing is a big change over WoW.  When you lose a ship/pod you actually get that feeling that you have lost.  Its also this feeling that drives people to get better skills, ships and experience and your sence of accomplishment when you win your first fight is beyond anything you have felt in any other game.  This is Eve. Welcome!

• TNULeaderTNULeader Member Posts: 71

I thuink it's better second time around for me anyway. Graphics are good but can be improved alot I guess im used to cox and all the options. With regard to the earlier post about the graphic's in my nividia settings i assume i would select to option to let the graphics card take precidense? I find that the edgeing and shadeing is not very good or should i say not very smooth. Again I am spoiled being 15 mnths deep into cox.

As far as eve goe's  I waited till I was ready to get into this game and dedicate time and effort it is so huge so many diff ways to go...I find myself ready pile's of info trying to get a grip on everything that I can do. Without the tutorials OMG I'd be dead in the water. Im excited to learn more and get into the trade market deep but im finding it's best to be military right of the bat.

Anyway any corp's that don't mind hand holding a noob to this world ill prob be a over 1000 hr player as I game constantly like right now im at work but still runnin mish's lolz

Peace

• Mark701Mark701 Member Posts: 108

I played Eve for over 3 years before I quit. I loved the fact the game didnt consist of slaying orcs and dragons, but found the following things, over time, led me to quit.

1. It is a HUGE time sink. Everything takes a lot of time to accomplish. Whether you're traveling, mining, in a war, etc. it all took way more time than I had to devote to it. One good thing is that you don't actually have to play the game to continue to train. At least for a while. But when training manuals start costing tens of millions of isk to purchase you have to be able to spend significant time, in game, to get what you need.

2. I don't mind pvp. However, there is a point, in my opinion, where it becomes a serious nusance. As one poster mentioned, there really are no safe areas in the game and that is correct.  Even so called "secure" systems aren't really secure due to suicide gankers and griefers. Many players lost EVERYTHING they owned when the loaded freighter they were flying in a secure system was suicide ganked at a "secure" gate. And whereas you can insure your ship, you can't insure what you put in it ,so the loss, is permanent.  Eve players claim its all part of the dynamics of the game which is true, but those dynamics are brutal. Something to keep in mind if you decide to play.

3. It might be just me, but I don't like being told what to do in a game. My time online is important for me to complete the things I need to do. However, if you become part of a corporation the time will come when everyone will be expected to sacrifice time, money and ships to whatever confiict your dumbass CEO has gotten you involved in. This will inevitably lead to you losing ships, which is fine, except that being at war makes it  difficult to mine safely  to make more isk to build more ships. If you've been playing for a while and have built up some reserves, this will be only be an inconvienience. However, if you have limited on-line time or are a newer (less than a year) player it will become a burden unless you have some very generous people in your corp.

4. There have been instances where a game developers (who often play in anonymously in corporations) have aided their corp with special blueprints, intel and equipment. THIS IS A VERY BAD THING and has pissed alot of people off. It was a terrible breach of trust and left many feeling cheated. In retrospect, I think it soured me on the game, even with assurances that it wouldn't happen again.

I could go on but there's really too much to talk about.  The game is unforgiving and takes large amounts of time to play sucessfully.  If you don't mind that, then you'll be happy playing Eve.  After 3+ years, it just wore me out so I left. (and no, you can't have my stuff).

• HighguardHighguard Member Posts: 7

Originally posted by Mark701

I played Eve for over 3 years before I quit. I loved the fact the game didnt consist of slaying orcs and dragons, but found the following things, over time, led me to quit.
    1. It is a HUGE time sink. Everything takes a lot of time to accomplish. Whether you're traveling, mining, in a war, etc. it all took way more time than I had to devote to it. One good thing is that you don't actually have to play the game to continue to train. At least for a while. But when training manuals start costing tens of millions of isk to purchase you have to be able to spend significant time, in game, to get what you need.
    2. I don't mind pvp. However, there is a point, in my opinion, where it becomes a serious nusance. As one poster mentioned, there really are no safe areas in the game and that is correct.  Even so called "secure" systems aren't really secure due to suicide gankers and griefers. Many players lost EVERYTHING they owned when the loaded freighter they were flying in a secure system was suicide ganked at a "secure" gate. And whereas you can insure your ship, you can't insure what you put in it ,so the loss, is permanent.  Eve players claim its all part of the dynamics of the game which is true, but those dynamics are brutal. Something to keep in mind if you decide to play.
    3. It might be just me, but I don't like being told what to do in a game. My time online is important for me to complete the things I need to do. However, if you become part of a corporation the time will come when everyone will be expected to sacrifice time, money and ships to whatever confiict your dumbass CEO has gotten you involved in. This will inevitably lead to you losing ships, which is fine, except that being at war makes it  difficult to mine safely  to make more isk to build more ships. If you've been playing for a while and have built up some reserves, this will be only be an inconvienience. However, if you have limited on-line time or are a newer (less than a year) player it will become a burden unless you have some very generous people in your corp.
    4. There have been instances where a game developers (who often play in anonymously in corporations) have aided their corp with special blueprints, intel and equipment. THIS IS A VERY BAD THING and has pissed alot of people off. It was a terrible breach of trust and left many feeling cheated. In retrospect, I think it soured me on the game, even with assurances that it wouldn't happen again.
    I could go on but there's really too much to talk about.  The game is unforgiving and takes large amounts of time to play sucessfully.  If you don't mind that, then you'll be happy playing Eve.  After 3+ years, it just wore me out so I left. (and no, you can't have my stuff).

WOW....................this gentleman took the words right out of my keyboard. I played Eve for 6 months and quit it exactly for the reasons stated above.

1)Massive timesink. Really not very solo friendly.

2)PVP though fun really becomes way too cut-throat and brutal for a newer or a solo player.

3) Yep the Corp's. Some people take the game way too seriously. The Corp i got accepted to interviewed me 3 times over. Each time with the next tier of corp officers wanting to ask me morre questions etc. I have to setup an appointment with them and show up during those time and be asked rather mundane and sometimes ID10T questions. I was asked for a fourth interview and i told them to ---- it. Guess what they hired me...total BS if you ask me.  And than yes, they act like they own you and your gameplay time. They also expect you do everything on their whims which just gets really irritating after a while. I really dont like to take orders all the time especially not in a game but to survive in Eve you have to be part of a Corp and have to put up with lots of stuff just to be able to play and advance in this game.

4) Frankly to me this game has no real purpose to it. Just flying around being a spaceship either mining, blowing things up or getting blown up(which happens a lot more) and thus loosing money esssentially your ships, cargo and even your clone. The Graphics are awesome but they only go so far. And the lack of an Avatar system really contributes to people getting bored and burnt out of this game.  I like to sometimes disembark from my ship, visit a cantina or inn in a space station, talk with other people avatars or just plain walk around. This makes me feel like a living breathing person in a virtual envoirment. This missing social aspect is crucial to an MMO and is perhaps 'THE' biggest negative point about this game. Overtime this game begans to feel almost like a second job for which you happen to be paying.

I actually went to WOW after this game and has never looked back. To me that game is anti-thesis of everything i found negative in this game. PVE/PVP is just fine there with a perfect blend of solo and group content.

• VivixVivix Member Posts: 17

I actually went to WOW after this game and has never looked back. To me that game is anti-thesis of everything i found negative in this game. PVE/PVP is just fine there with a perfect blend of solo and group content.

Well, you are looking back. After all, you took the time to post!

I guess if the game were for everyone, everyone would be playing it.

Still, I know what it's like to feel that kind of antipathy toward a MMO game. In my case, the game was a MUD, GS3/IV. I finally gave up the game in disgust.

Divorcing from a game, well, can feel like divorce.

The Singularity is Near ...

Originally posted by Vivix

Well, you are looking back. After all, you took the time to post!

I guess if the game were for everyone, everyone would be playing it.

Still, I know what it's like to feel that kind of antipathy toward a MMO game. In my case, the game was a MUD, GS3/IV. I finally gave up the game in disgust.

Divorcing from a game, well, can feel like divorce.

Well this thread showed up on the front page of this site. So i clicked on it and boom i was here. It was enough to rub some salt into my old wounds. So i decided to post and vent some.

Now I feel much better.   Ofcourse i might be biased in my vent but truthfully that is exactly how i feel about Eve.

• JonnyBigBossJonnyBigBoss Member UncommonPosts: 702

EVE can be your best bet. Personally, I only find FFXI, WoW and EVE worth your monthly payments. They each have different pro's and cons but if you're looking for something that feels polished and just gets better then EVE is your deal. It's also potentially less "hazardous" to your social skills as opposed to WoW which will make a normal guy a loser (sometimes).

Originally posted by JonnyWarhawk

EVE can be your best bet. Personally, I only find FFXI, WoW and EVE worth your monthly payments. They each have different pro's and cons but if you're looking for something that feels polished and just gets better then EVE is your deal. It's also potentially less "hazardous" to your social skills as opposed to WoW which will make a normal guy a loser (sometimes).

I beg to differ. Eve also has the potential and perhaps even a bigger potential to make a person acquire negative social skills and hence veer dangerously towards becoming a social misfit and sometimes a looser.

The enormous time-sinks required to play the game can make a person become a virutal secluse from real life.  The game encourages openly anti-social activities like smuggling items which can range from contrabands to  forbidden cargo, bribbing people, open ganking/griefing in pvp, setting up ambushes and than asking players to surrender their cargo, money etc for safe passage than destroying them anyways including podding etc. Even the staff of the parent company of this game is known to play the game anonymously and under the table help their guilds and friends with unique items etc to give them advantage over regular customers(this is good one) and the list goes on. ....

Eve might be niche game with its own appeal but i think its just naive to claim that this game is not as "hazardous" to someone social skills as Wow or any other popular mmo.

• kovahkovah Member UncommonPosts: 692
    Originally posted by Highguard

I beg to differ. Eve also has the potential and perhaps even a bigger potential to make a person acquire negative social skills and hence veer dangerously towards becoming a social misfit. The enormous time-sinks to play the game can make a person become a virutal secluse from real life.  The game encourages and has people engaging openly in social negative activities like smuggling items which can range from contrabands, dangerous forbidden cargo, bribbing people, camping players in pvp, asking players to surrender their cargo, money etc for safe passage than destroying them anyways including podding etc. Even the staff of the parent company of this game is known to play the game anonymously and under the table help their guilds and friends with unique items etc to give them advantage over regular customers(this is good one) and the list goes on. ....

Eve might be niche game with its own appeal but i think its just naive to claim that this game is not as "hazardous" to someone social skills as Wow or any other popular mmo.

Did you also know that breathing the air in Atlanta is bad for you?  Or that you've got a better chance to die in a car wreck than you do to die of natural causes?  You might as well just stay in bed, it's the safest way to live imo.....

Bravo...a great reply.  I am speechless  

I beg to differ. Eve also has the potential and perhaps even a bigger potential to make a person acquire negative social skills and hence veer dangerously towards becoming a social misfit and sometimes a looser.

The enormous time-sinks required to play the game can make a person become a virutal secluse from real life.  The game encourages openly anti-social activities like smuggling items which can range from contrabands to  forbidden cargo, bribbing people, open ganking/griefing in pvp, setting up ambushes and than asking players to surrender their cargo, money etc for safe passage than destroying them anyways including podding etc. Even the staff of the parent company of this game is known to play the game anonymously and under the table help their guilds and friends with unique items etc to give them advantage over regular customers(this is good one) and the list goes on. ....

You try WAY too hard to sound smart and use big words. If you don't like EVE then why are you on it's forum?

Oh and your comment about the staff has been proven false.

Dude...you were alluding that the people who play wow are loosers in a social aspect. I just rebutted your argument.  I am sure you love Eve and i did it too for a brief stint. But it doesnt mean that you should start calling players of some other mmo franchise names  especially without having anything concrete to base your facts on.

Dude...you were alluding that the people who play wow are loosers in a social aspect. I just rebutted your argument.  I am sure you love Eve and i did it too for a brief stint. But it doesnt mean that you should start calling players of some other mmo franchise names  especially without having anything concrete to base your facts on.

1) I said sometimes (and I know it's most of the time but I said sometimes to make it less offensive).

2) You provided no evidence so you were far from rebutting.

3) I played the game for 2 years ( http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l176/jleack/World of Warcraft/ ). I would say I have lots fo base my facts on since I did everything in the game up to Karazhan and completed it.

4) I didn't call anyone. I don't even have anyone's phone number from this site.

5) WoW REQUIRES you to raid which has you sitting at your computer for 4-6 hours straight without really getting up. Talk to a psychiatrist and ask them about WoW. EVE isn't even in the same boat my friend.

All in all, anything CAN be hazardous to anyone but I have found that through my journey through MMO's that WoW is the most dangerous of them all. Period.

• kovahkovah Member UncommonPosts: 692

Sorry Jonny, I can't agree with ya.  Been playing WoW since release.  Never been on a 4+ hour raid, never.  Been in a few 3-4 hour AV's back in the day, hell -- we had at least one on our server that went for over 24 hours...  Logged off at 2am EST and logged back into the SAME AV at 9am EST...  KAARAZY!

Anyway man, it's not the game but the players.  I can promise that there are people in EVE that take it way to seriously and it has an adverse affect on their social lives just like WoW.  The reason you, and others, may perceive WoW to be so much worse is that there are 10 MILLION people playing it vs the 100k playing EVE... 

Your statements can be compared to people who say drugs are bad.  Last time I checked, no drug is capable of climbing down someone's throat, or up their nose without help from the person doing the drug....  How can the drug be bad?  Same with online gaming, if the person let's it fuck with their social skills that is the person's fault, not the game.

[edit]spelling ftl

1) I said sometimes (and I know it's most of the time but I said sometimes to make it less offensive).

2) You provided no evidence so you were far from rebutting.

3) I played the game for 2 years ( http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l176/jleack/World of Warcraft/ ). I would say I have lots fo base my facts on since I did everything in the game up to Karazhan and completed it.

4) I didn't call anyone. I don't even have anyone's phone number from this site.

5) WoW REQUIRES you to raid which has you sitting at your computer for 4-6 hours straight without really getting up. Talk to a psychiatrist and ask them about WoW. EVE isn't even in the same boat my friend.

All in all, anything CAN be hazardous to anyone but I have found that through my journey through MMO's that WoW is the most dangerous of them all. Period.

Well i dont know about what kind of hardcore raiding you did.  My lvl 70 mage never spent more than 4 hours on a raid. And that  used to be on my time whenever i had free time...sometime weeks went by and i never raided. My  guild runs instances on weekdays, weekends regularly and are very accomdating with everyone schedule and life style needs. Also most of my gear came from doing PVP in Battlegrounds and Arenas which is lot more fun than running pve oriented instances and the gear you get is nothing to shun at either.  To this date with wow whether it be raids or pvp, i never really felt the need or ever had to religiously sit in front of my computer  for 4-6 hours straight without really getting up like you claim.

On the other hand with Eve I did feel the need that as time progressed i will have to play it religiously for 4-6 hours a day in order to progress.  Eve kind of  insures that kind of playstyle if you want to get those shiny big ships, keep your ship and equipment up to date, upgrade your equipment, keep training with the ever climbing skills costs, the insurance costs etc.

• JADEDRAG0NJADEDRAG0N Member Posts: 733

Does anyone know what his topic is about i forgot when istarted reading the last few posts 

Talk about Off-Topic.