Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Funcom announces graphics/servers upgrades, motorcycles, and more!!

Comments

• sgtweppssgtwepps Member Posts: 207

Good graphics = me go back.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

They are upgrading the graphic engine not the graphics.  This change will update it to DX9.0c from DX 7.0.  It will also improve/increase  the use of the GPU.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • SalvatorisSalvatoris Member Posts: 1,360

let's all pretend they didn't also announce an item shop with virtual sales for real world cash... the we can act like today's announcement was good news.

• sgtweppssgtwepps Member Posts: 207

Item shop won't affect my game-play so it's fine imho.

It wont make items better, just easier to get.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Why the hell they just dont do Anarchy Online 2 ?!

This game would simply rock

• NeverknowNeverknow Member Posts: 224

Originally posted by grunty

They are upgrading the graphic engine not the graphics.  This change will update it to DX9.0c from DX 7.0.  It will also improve/increase  the use of the GPU.

Actually, one of Sil's responses in that thread is that they will be upgrading the actual graphics once the engine is in place.

Originally posted by Salvatoris

let's all pretend they didn't also announce an item shop with virtual sales for real world cash... the we can act like today's announcement was good news.

The only items being sold are social items, for looks only. Such as old pre-order gifts, Jobe luxury apts, hoverboards/bikes (which are no different from yalms in functionality, only looks). The content packs containing playfields and such are really just mini expansions, however the items given will be ones that are already ingame, or different versions (skins, colors, etc.) with same benefits/requirements as the ones already ingame. Sil has been adament that no items/weapons/armor that would compromise gameplay or give advantages to players over those who don't buy the content packs will be sold.

• cajun47cajun47 Member Posts: 73

ripoff scam

• GilgameeshGilgameesh Member UncommonPosts: 412

woa... this article seems promising much.

There is a chance that i can be back in rubi-ka in the future :)

Nickname registered on www.mynickname.org

• dbell1967dbell1967 Member Posts: 6

I would drop wow and lotro in a heart beat if I could have AO with up to date graphics

• evilednaeviledna Member Posts: 29

shit, there goes my favorite mmo. 3 accouts etc.... i guess they can now legitamise all those gold farmers. wts 220/27 enfo 3 dollar kk u by ok no?

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

Great stuff, can't wait to see more.

Originally posted by eviledna

shit, there goes my favorite mmo. 3 accouts etc.... i guess they can now legitamise all those gold farmers. wts 220/27 enfo 3 dollar kk u by ok no?

Have you even read the posts by Sil on the official forums, outlining what this all entails? Social items only, NO creds, NO weapons, NO armor, etc.

• WellesWelles Member Posts: 66
    Originally posted by Neverknow

Originally posted by eviledna

Have you even read the posts by Sil on the official forums, outlining what this all entails? Social items only, NO creds, NO weapons, NO armor, etc.

Like your forum name says "neverknow" you neverknow what fc has planned once this happens. They claim they won't sell those kinds of items but fc isn't well known for it's word or it's ethics in regards to ao. Social items is a relative interpretation up to fc and well grid armor and the abaddon chassis can be considered social items depending on who is making the guidelines. The questions that need to be asked are where will fc draw the line in the sand between paid content and free patched content and items and can you trust fc on just it's word after the piles of money start coming in from selling of these items and wealthy elitist players start demanding better equipment.

Well, guess I'll go back to the official forums. At least I know the nay-sayers posting there are paying for the game they're knocking. Have fun, all.

• KordeshKordesh Member Posts: 1,715

Random bitching about items and such aside which I'm sure will turn out fine anyway

I'd really like to see them get this engine/graphics update rolling ASAP. For me, that has been the biggest thing keeping me from playing it more frequently and keeping me from starting to play again in the past. It's not so much the graphics, but the client and UI they have now is so clunky and slow. It's somewhat irritating to use especially after becoming used to much more responsive and intuitive UIs. I shouldn't need to wait five seconds after the critter hits the dirt for the server to finally register it's dead, and send back a response to allow me to loot it. If they do a complete overhaul on the client, it would be the best thing they've done in years.

Bans a perma, but so are sigs in necro posts.

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

• starman999starman999 Member Posts: 1,232

To be quite honest.............

If they were to sell low req yalmahas for real money I would buy one. They make the game 100% more playable. the one peeve I always had with AO was that the missions were always so far away and often required running through areas with mobs well above your level. The yalmaha solves both of those problems as they are quick and allow you to fly above the areas and directly to your mission.

As far as a graphics upgrade I say its about time.

Critical thinking is a desire to seek, patience to doubt, fondness to meditate, slowness to assert, readiness to consider, carefulness to dispose and set in order; and hatred for every kind of imposture.

• KrebulKrebul Member Posts: 46

Originally posted by Lobotomist

Why the hell they just dont do Anarchy Online 2 ?!
    This game would simply rock

That would shake the industry to its core!

Notorious - An Age of Conan guild - http://www.notoriousguild.net
    We are actively recruiting!
    Join the Revolution.

• frkhot97frkhot97 Member Posts: 393

Wouldn't AO2 split the playerbase and leave the loyal players with dying servers? Playing MMO is a longtime commitment to many players.

• XcellersXcellers Member Posts: 3

a bit too late for this by my pov - AO is slowly dying, this should have been done before lost eden - ied rather just have AO 2 instead - complete redo of the entire game

-/x