Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Be honest...

DrSmaShDrSmaSh Member UncommonPosts: 454

... how is this game? I know that it was considered as shit when it first came out but I hear lot's of positive talk about it now. People say it's whole new game now. But how is it? Is it friendly to new player - like economy at low levels, quests, some kind of dungeons etc. Are servers empty or full of life? How is RP and lore?  Are there RP servers? I really love to RP and just explore the game, so are areas open like SWG or WoW, or restricted like GW? How is PvP?

If I want to play it what expansions do I need to buy? Do any of them have content for low levels? And last... Would you suggest this game? Is it going up or it's dieing? Oh and will it be enjoyable on AMD Barton 2500+, 1GB DDR ram, GF 6600 GT?

I'm also DLing the trial but I heard that the trial is not making justice to the game. The real game is suppose to be way better...

Thank you for any reply!

Every time I read your post, I die a little inside...

Comments

• truenorthbgtruenorthbg Member Posts: 1,453

Yes.  In the Neriak area, very fun and very new player friendly.

Personally, straight-up, I like Vanguard's ... challenge more.  I am really playing SWG the most, though.  I plan to play EQ 2 very casually, though, and roleplay on Antion Bayle here and there when in the mood....If you want a polished fantasy game, I suggest EQ 2.

BTW --> it appears to ME with the update and upcoming expansion, that EQ 2 will take a much more forced-raiding direction.  Therefore, I am ... happy I am not going to get too involved in this game.... You can read about the new UPDATE in the NEWS section ON MMORPG.

Edit:  btw, my friends like Vanguard more, so I am going to focus more on Vanguard.  If I had my way, I would probably play EQ 2 more than Vanguard until Vanguard has more end-game.

-----
    WoW and fast food = commercial successes.
    I neither play WoW nor eat fast food.

• DrSmaShDrSmaSh Member UncommonPosts: 454

Hello!

Well I played the trial abit, love it so far! Didn't get very deep in to yet since I had a very long day so I hope to make up for it tomorrow morning. As I was making a char I've noticed that there are only two EU servers... Is this only for the trial or there are just two servers in Europe (and I didn't notice any marks as PvP/PvE/RP)

• lillinlillin Member Posts: 207

yes the game was pretty much considered " shit " till EoF expansion actually added a fair amount of new things to do and different landscapes to explore.

For new players ............

Face it your gonna have alot of solo time.  You will probally start finding more groups around level 20ish then it will die down around 45ish till about your mid 60's then it will build back up again.

Plenty of low level quest to do.

The economy will not be friendly to new players.

Servers are pretty much dead at the low end, radom twinks and alts about here and there though, good news is unlike eq1 you can actually solo all the way up to 70 albeit slow.

Areas are open, but not like eq1 where you could walk up the mountain and such ................. you may find yourself hating two zones, zek and lfay for the linear feel of the zone.

Every server is different but the same ................... most will be bleak at the low end, but plenty in the end game.

there are RP servers but only expect maybe 50% to actually RP and that is on a good day.

The Lore in this game is lacking compaired to eq1.  But most people seem to find solice on the lore forums of eq2 talking about eq1 lore.

PvP changes about once every two or three months, just gotta expirience it yourself.

Just buy EoF expansion, it includes all expansions and original game.  EoF and original game have content for low levels.  DoF is 45 to 60, and KoS is 55 to 70.

your computer will handle fine but ide suggest 2 gigs of ram.

The trial is part of the game.  It doesnt do the game justice for its good and bad aspects.

• quaikyquaiky Member Posts: 566

on the eu servers, there are just 2 english eu servers + 1-2 french and 1-2 german servers. there was a eu pvp server but it did not have enough population to survive alone so it got merged with a us server. also the 2 rp servers (Antonia bayle and Lucan D'leere) are both us servers.

But it is no problem to switch to us servers when you have the full game (i heared switching does not work for the trial but not sure) you just have to select English (US) in the region select on first page of launchpad, these 2 different areas just exist that they can patch eu servers at eu friendly times and have different versions of game for a few hours on both servers.

If you play on both eu and us servers you best make seperate copies of your game directory for eu and us to avoid having to patch every time when you switch between eu and us. (you can just copy the directory and start the game with the eq2.exe from new directory).

a bonus advantage of playing on both eu and us servers is that both server sets have a seperate character maximums so you can have 7 chars on us servers and 7 chars on eu servers.

• JohnhostJohnhost Member Posts: 146

[quote]Would you suggest this game? Is it going up or it's dieing? Oh and will it be enjoyable on AMD Barton 2500+, 1GB DDR ram, GF 6600 GT?[/quote]

That is the exact same setup for my PC!  I run on balanced no problem, you can run lower and it still looks good. 

• DrSmaShDrSmaSh Member UncommonPosts: 454

Well I played it today for like 4 hours straight! Don't really see logic behind 7 day trial when you can finish it in 4h but okay. It's not my perfect game but at the moment there is just nothing else. There are some things I don't like and some things that I do like. It also runs great on my PC. But I don't like that there are only 2 English EU servers... Means game is not doing well. Will still think about it and decide soon.

Thanks every one! Nice game overall.

• truenorthbgtruenorthbg Member Posts: 1,453

DrSmash, are you playing the trial or in the Neriak area?

I think the Neriak content is way more fun than the trial.  I actually did not like the trial, either of them.  If you are going to buy the game and obtain the free month, I suggest Antonin Bayle server; that is where I am.  I have experimented with others, and this seems to have the friendliest and most vibrant community!

-----
    WoW and fast food = commercial successes.
    I neither play WoW nor eat fast food.

• GoldknyghtGoldknyght Member UncommonPosts: 1,519

Theres no need to try everquest 2 right now. Wait till Rise of Kunark is released so you can get all the expansions at once so u dont pay for all expansions and game. Plus you will get to play the Sarnak race. But im sure i wont give this a go seeing as i will want to try out AoC first. If it fails EQ2 ill be coming to ur door once more.

• ElivoElivo Member UncommonPosts: 71

Buy the EQ2 EOF box at a store and you will get base game and all the xpack with it.

No need to wait untill kunark if you want to jump in now.

• f1sebf1seb Member UncommonPosts: 194

I could not get into this game because of the combat.  It moves at an insanely fast speed, it's not realistic at all. The spells are fast as hell all the enemies run at you at the speed of light.  That is the reason why, also some problems, I logged in one day and my chars head and everybody's was gigantic.  I thought what the hell happen? I tried to tweak the vid card settings and nothing helped. So I thought let me get back to this some other time maybe it's the game on their end.  A week later I log in and the same crap. I quit that day. But the combat is what really did it for me, super fast, very unrealistic.

• bahamut1bahamut1 Member Posts: 614
    Originally posted by f1seb

I could not get into this game because of the combat.  It moves at an insanely fast speed, it's not realistic at all. The spells are fast as hell all the enemies run at you at the speed of light.  That is the reason why, also some problems, I logged in one day and my chars head and everybody's was gigantic.  I thought what the hell happen? I tried to tweak the vid card settings and nothing helped. So I thought let me get back to this some other time maybe it's the game on their end.  A week later I log in and the same crap. I quit that day. But the combat is what really did it for me, super fast, very unrealistic.

It's called cutemode. You probably got into the setting by accident. They also did it to everyone one April Fool's Day as a joke. Just type /cutemode to set it back. The combat, can't help ya, maybe it's a learning curve, maybe preference...

"Granted thinking for yourself could be considered a timesink of shorter or longer duration depending on how smart..or how dumb you are."

• jamigrejamigre Member UncommonPosts: 280

i have to be honest here, i was looking for a new mmog, and always being warty of eq, i really didnt want to try it, but with all the great reviews its been getting i downloaded the eof 7 day trail, loved it, got the eof box from game.co.uk (you can now just download it, via direct2drive), and can honesly say, best choice of my life. well maybe not best, but a damn good one, the game is noob friendly, its super fun, the people are "mature" which for me is a huge plus, and i got into a super cool guild.

Also, yeah, there are only 2 english european servers, Runnereye and Splitpaw, I play on runnereye, Yahbway, and Loque are my mains. if you're in /tell me.

Cheers

-------
    Check out my side project http://lfger.com/  - a mobile lfg tool for any game, any time. 
    -------

• Originally posted by f1seb

.....also some problems, I logged in one day and my chars head and everybody's was gigantic.  I thought what the hell happen? I tried to tweak the vid card settings and nothing helped. So I thought let me get back to this some other time maybe it's the game on their end.  ...
    Uhm. .. duh.

That was a special April Fools Day thing, and all you had to do to reset it was type /cutemode off.

And you could have found that out in 10 seconds by just asking in the OOC channel..

• OBK1OBK1 Member Posts: 637

OP:

You can play on american servers as well, in the upper right corner on the launcher you can choose this option. I am swedish and used to play on the european Runnyeye server but switched recently to the american RP server Antonia Bayle. I will tell you this, it is easily the best fantasy MMO around, this was not true at release but it is now.

Since I started from scratch on Antonia I can tell you it is not at all hard to get groups and the lower levels have a lot of players all around. I have reached lvl 30 now on my main and never has there been any lack of others playing around me.

If you buy the game, be sure to try being evil and choose the new starter city of Neriak, it is a blast and a very good new player experience.

• Originally posted by OBK1

OP:
    Since I started from scratch on Antonia I can tell you it is not at all hard to get groups and the lower levels have a lot of players all around. I have reached lvl 30 now on my main and never has there been any lack of others playing around me.

EQ2 has very good "replay" so you don't end up doing the same quests and zones over and over. In fact you can play 4-5 races and do almost none of the same content up to around level 55 or so.

which means that a lot of people make alts - even in the newbie zones there is always someone around.

• TniceTnice Member Posts: 563
    Originally posted by Laiina

Originally posted by OBK1

OP:

EQ2 has very good "replay" so you don't end up doing the same quests and zones over and over. In fact you can play 4-5 races and do almost none of the same content up to around level 55 or so.

which means that a lot of people make alts - even in the newbie zones there is always someone around.

Just coming back myself to try Neriak and the new Arasai.  Lots of folks around.  Almost like it was just released.  I am really not kidding.  I was at release and there are just as many people in the Newbie area.  Can't be this many new people to the game.  Guess they are trying the new race also.