Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dissapointing to say the least :(

WargoleMWargoleM Member Posts: 47

after playing this game for a short time i was quicky bored.

after the tutorial the game opens out into..... well nothing

you can go and explore for a while but that gets pretty boring pretty quickly if u ask me

you can go and mine but to be honest its more intresting watching that bug fly round your room or wathcing pain dry cos sometimes there is a drip and well that is much more exciting than mining....

this game is lacking and not worth paying for imo, microsofts freelancer was a significantly better space game overall!

This room... This bullet... There's a bullet for everyone... A time, and a place... An end to a cause, an alpha to an omega. So it has come to this, You know too much about me, I can't have that, Not even in my death.

Save a Tree.... Eat a Beaver

Comments

• ArleonenisArleonenis Member Posts: 69

boring lol... join some alliance that are actualy in war, you wouldnt be bored::::31::

Mining and exploring is boring yes but this is only 2 things from many that you could do in eve

• StyrmirStyrmir Member Posts: 4

Luckily most do not find it boring :-)

Many actually like to mine but even if you don't there are very many who play the game without even doing that

• DantesDantes Member Posts: 163

Bored mining?  Not me.  I mine in 0.0 space in a thorax and have to constantly be aware of my ships positioning and rat position, move minerals from cargo to secure can and making sure I'm not going to pop a roid.  I crank up the good 80's music, sit back and watch the isk ROLL in.

Risk = excitement + isk

Beta tester supreme

Beta tester supreme

• Celt0rCelt0r Member Posts: 67

Originally posted by Dantes

Bored mining?  Not me.  I mine in 0.0 space in a thorax and have to constantly be aware of my ships positioning and rat position, move minerals from cargo to secure can and making sure I'm not going to pop a roid.  I crank up the good 80's music, sit back and watch the isk ROLL in.
    Risk = excitement + isk

Beta tester supreme

I mine ark in a 0.0, even though I lose ships quite often, still dont find it exciting, just the fastest way to get cash.

Haven't lost a ship yet. image

Beta tester supreme

Beta tester supreme

• dennis1981dennis1981 Member Posts: 4

To those of you who have played, could someone mention why it is disappointing or otherwise? Is it difficult to begin playing, I just need something to hold me over until WoW and or EQ2, and I was thinking EVE looks beautiful, but I have heard nothing but YES IT R R0X0R, or PLX NO TEH GAME SUX!

If anyone could give me a short pro-and-con list of what makes this game special I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.

Originally posted by dennis1981

To those of you who have played, could someone mention why it is disappointing or otherwise? Is it difficult to begin playing, I just need something to hold me over until WoW and or EQ2, and I was thinking EVE looks beautiful, but I have heard nothing but YES IT R R0X0R, or PLX NO TEH GAME SUX!
    If anyone could give me a short pro-and-con list of what makes this game special I would really appreciate it.
    Thank you.

Pro's:
    MMO space game, only one about.

Great trading/production system

hundreds of corps, player madre regional alliances, and large player base

cool space ships

Cons:

To get anywhere you need to mine really, mining is either relaxing or boring, depending on your own preferences.

Lack of high end content.

Skills system is just a massive timesink

PVP is boring and not very interesting.

Every patch that fixes and exploit creates another.

Official forums are a joke, moderators delete whole threads without giving any reason, and if you question on the boards you get banned.

• DustyBallzDustyBallz Member Posts: 152

The thing about CCP that I don't understand is why they take the attitude and stance that they do about EVE. It's the only game they have! Yes, forum mods do what they want and there is no recourse. The mining is lame and boring and did I mention boring? I could maybe understand their position if they were working on another game in development, or had anything that would make them do as they do. Forums, gameplay, skill system in game means if you are new, you will always be behind, patches continuously getting pushed back, the "good" areas of space are all controlled by the uber 1337 player alliances from day 1. Did I mention I've been playing EVE for a week and a half? It's just a "filler game." When a MMORPG is released with actual RPG content and game systems in place, then I think I'll be much happier.

MMORPG -- Where's the RP?

MMORPG -- Where's the RP?

• dennis1981dennis1981 Member Posts: 4

Celtor, Dusty Balls, thanks for your prompt replies.

I think I just won't bother, it looks great, but I don't want to be stuck as a perma-n00b. image

Thanks again.

• IainatorIainator Member Posts: 55

I too found the game boring, perhaps i should of given the game more of a chance.

The thing that 1st got me onto the game were the THOUSANDS of corps. The char. creation is nice, suprising and cool to look at.

I agree the mining is boring and havin to do 12 Jumps to get to somewhere is dull and boring

All in All i feel its for the laid back gamer who has a few hours of time on his hands

Im your Discount FlashBack Warehouse

Playing - --
    Played - AO, CoH/CoV, DDO, Eve, Guildwars, LOTRO, WoW.
    Waiting - For WAR, Fury.

• HeartlandHeartland Member Posts: 103

Originally posted by dennis1981

Sure, here are a few:

Pros:
    - Skill training while offline
    - Complexity and depth of the background and universe.
    - Lots of planning and strategy needed.
    - Great ships and views from space.
    - One persistent universe rather than sharded is great for immersion.
    - Not being locked down into a proffession - no classes.
    - Increasing player impact on "prime fiction".

Cons:
    - Many l33t players flocking to low-security space, claiming control and enforcing it (well, somewhat, but not as much as one might think).
    - Large fleet battles still suffer from lag.
    - Whiners galore, especially from long-time players. Presumably because people feel very strongly about the game. Actually this concerns the forums more than the game itself...

I'd say there are a few others that are either pros or cons depending on your view:
    - Huge universe. Either good or bad depending on how you feel about not seeing the entire universe, travel times, many fringe systems being empty of players, etc. Personally I feel it is appropriate for a space game.
    - Slow-paced game-play and development. Getting things done requires quite a bit of planning, as in real life. The same thing cn be said of things like Tech Level 2, it doesn't just wham-bam appear, it trickles out through research. Some are horribly upset by this, but I find it helps "realism" and immersion.

That's what I can think of right now, in a sort of off-hand way...

Originally posted by Heartland

Pros:
    - Skill training while offline

Both a pro and a con, players who start later will NEVER catch up.

- Complexity and depth of the background and universe.

I havent seen this :/

- Lots of planning and strategy needed.

For what?

- Great ships and views from space.

Agreed

- One persistent universe rather than sharded is great for immersion.

Immersion into what? RP is barely existent, even CCP's.

- Not being locked down into a proffession - no classes.

Bullshit, if you want to produce, thats 6 weeks of training, if you want to refine, thats 2 months, if you want to combat, thats 3 months of gunnery and command skills.

- Increasing player impact on "prime fiction".

Yes :rolleyes:

Cons:
    - Many l33t players flocking to low-security space, claiming control and enforcing it (well, somewhat, but not as much as one might think).
    - Large fleet battles still suffer from lag.
    - Whiners galore, especially from long-time players. Presumably because people feel very strongly about the game. Actually this concerns the forums more than the game itself...

I'd say there are a few others that are either pros or cons depending on your view:
    - Huge universe. Either good or bad depending on how you feel about not seeing the entire universe, travel times, many fringe systems being empty of players, etc. Personally I feel it is appropriate for a space game.
    - Slow-paced game-play and development. Getting things done requires quite a bit of planning, as in real life. The same thing cn be said of things like Tech Level 2, it doesn't just wham-bam appear, it trickles out through research. Some are horribly upset by this, but I find it helps "realism" and immersion.

That's what I can think of right now, in a sort of off-hand way...

I don't understand this whole "will never be caught up" or "permanoob" idea.  I've been playing EVE for the last two months and it's great.  With my real life schedule, I can can log on for just a little a day, if I want, and setup my skill training.  Now that's if that is all I do, but I don't.  I play for about 2 hours a day tops.

Each skill has a "rank" and a "level".  Ranks designate how hard a skill is to learn, i.e. learning a rank 3 skill to level 1 will take 3 times as long as a rank 1 skill to level 1.  Each skill also has a level designation from 1 to 5.  Each skill also has a primary and secondary attribute that dictate how fast you gain skill points in that skill and therefore how long it will take for you to learn it.  Getting level 1 in one rank 1 skill will take just the same amount of skill points (not time) as another rank 1 skills.  It's your attributes that dictate the real learning time.

Now, if you look at the bonuses that each skill affords the character, you will see that you can reach lvl 4 in all skills that someone who has been playing for a year has in a fraction of the time.  You are correct, if that one year old character has been training steadily, you will NEVER catch up but the differences between level 4 and 5 is miniscule. 

Definately not a reason to not play EVE.

Beta tester supreme

Beta tester supreme

• imasigimasig Member Posts: 149

Dantes,

Good points.  I have been playing since last June and since February of this year I have probably  trained up only 6 or 7 skill levels because I have been working on some of the more difficult level 5s.

I don't understand this whole "will never be caught up" or "permanoob" idea.  I've been playing EVE for the last two months and it's great.  With my real life schedule, I can can log on for just a little a day, if I want, and setup my skill training.  Now that's if that is all I do, but I don't.  I play for about 2 hours a day tops.
    Each skill has a "rank" and a "level".  Ranks designate how hard a skill is to learn, i.e. learning a rank 3 skill to level 1 will take 3 times as long as a rank 1 skill to level 1.  Each skill also has a level designation from 1 to 5.  Each skill also has a primary and secondary attribute that dictate how fast you gain skill points in that skill and therefore how long it will take for you to learn it.  Getting level 1 in one rank 1 skill will take just the same amount of skill points (not time) as another rank 1 skills.  It's your attributes that dictate the real learning time.
    Now, if you look at the bonuses that each skill affords the character, you will see that you can reach lvl 4 in all skills that someone who has been playing for a year has in a fraction of the time.  You are correct, if that one year old character has been training steadily, you will NEVER catch up but the differences between level 4 and 5 is miniscule. 
    Definately not a reason to not play EVE.

Beta tester supreme

You are forgetting that a hell of a lot of REALLY REALLY good skills are only opened up by level 5 in others.

Gunnery V -> Large turrets and Trajectory Analysis.

Missile's V -> Cruise Missiles(I think?)

Drones V -> Drone Interfacing

It will get even worse with Shiva

• imasigimasig Member Posts: 149

Correct,

But those level 5 skills aren't too bad...usually 7 or 8 days.  Try large turrets 5, any ship level to 5, or shield management 5.  You're getting up towards a month or more on those skills.

• KraptorKraptor Member Posts: 359
    Mining IS boring and that is the only way u can actually make lots of money. The only good thing about the game and the strongest point is pvp, especially when u are in groups, but to really be able to pvp u have to train a lot of skills which takes u MONTHS!!

Originally posted by Celt0r

You are forgetting that a hell of a lot of REALLY REALLY good skills are only opened up by level 5 in others.
    It will get even worse with Shiva

Correct but those are "core" skills and most of them take about a week to learn to lvl 5 depending on skills.

Beta tester supreme

Beta tester supreme

• Ranma13Ranma13 Member Posts: 747

I see most people complaining that it takes too long to train skills and that mining is boring and warp travel times are too long. Well let's compare this to other MMORPGs...

In order to get good in a typical MMORPG, you have to devote hours upon hours of gameplay time in order to level up. Sure, you might be able to become good after 2 weeks but think of all that time you had to devote. EVE is more meant for casual players who don't have 8 hours a day to play MMORPGs. Most have jobs and a life outside of EVE and just want to play a game that won't require tons and tons of playing to get better. Hence the very ingenious skill training system. There's no such thing as being a perma-n00b, doesn't matter if you have hardly any skills or lots of them, there's some corporation out there that will find you useful. I remember entering the game and mining in my newbie vessel with some of the bigger guys and I got an equal share too. Unlike other MMORPGs, just cuz you're low level doesn't mean you're unwanted.

Everyone complains about mining, but frankly I don't see how it's different from level treadmilling. Sure, in level treadmilling you click more, but isn't it the same? Imagine the asteroids as enemies and your mining laser is your weapon. Isn't it the same thing? And someone above me said that mining is the only way of getting good money. I must strongly disagree. I've made very good income from rat killing (and selling the loot) and also from agent missions. Mining might rake in slightly more isk but the difference isn't night and day, only a couple thousand here and there.

As for warp travel times being too long, keep in mind the EVE universe is huge and CCP definitely wants to keep it that way. A lot of game worlds boast 'huge environments that take hours to traverse' but there's portals all over the place. That makes the gaming world seem very small. Space is a vast vast place and EVE sure makes you feel that it is. Also, in some of the other MMORPGs I've played, I had to run out of the city to the hunting grounds and in my opinion that takes equally as long and involves more mundane 'click on the ground ahead of you repeatedly till you get there'. EVE should be praised for their auto-pilot ability that allows you to go do some other stuff like grab some food, use the bathroom, or watch a little TV while you wait to get somewhere.

Correct but those are "core" skills and most of them take about a week to learn to lvl 5 depending on skills.

Beta tester supreme

Electronics 5, Engineering 5, Frigate 5, Sensor Upgrades 5, Evasive manouevring 5,, cruiser 4(same as a rank 1 level 5 skills in effect), BS 4, many many other skills at rank 4 take from 200000 to 500000 points.

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Originally posted by DustyBallz

Yes, forum mods do what they want and there is no recourse.

lol, where in the world do u get this information???

My wife has been a forum mod for the past year with EVE and is on her 14th month with them.  She has more training sessions for her forum Mod standing than anything I ever seen before.  To even get accepted into Polaris, you need to go through 3 interviews.  Then you mail them a copy of your license, 3 signed contract agreements, and go through 2 weeks of training through downloading forms, intsructions, one on one training sessions with you and the Head Forum Mod Dev directly.  You are also given a "rule book" that is quite informative.

No, forum mods do not do what they want. If a forum mod screws up they get one warning.  if they screw up again they are suspended for 2 weeks, and if they do it one more time they loose their status.  If they leak and game secrets (things in production) you'll can get sued, if you leak  exploitative areas (such as spawning asteroids in undisclosed belts) you could get sued...hence thats why you mail them a copy of your license and a bunch of contracts.

so, .......................no.

Forums Mods don't do whatever they want lol

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

Originally posted by En1Gma

lol, where in the world do u get this information???

My wife has been a forum mod for the past year with EVE and is on her 14th month with them.  She has more training sessions for her forum Mod standing than anything I ever seen before.  To even get accepted into Polaris, you need to go through 3 interviews.  Then you mail them a copy of your license, 3 signed contract agreements, and go through 2 weeks of training through downloading forms, intsructions, one on one training sessions with you and the Head Forum Mod Dev directly.  You are also given a "rule book" that is quite informative.

No, forum mods do not do what they want. If a forum mod screws up they get one warning.  if they screw up again they are suspended for 2 weeks, and if they do it one more time they loose their status.  If they leak and game secrets (things in production) you'll can get sued, if you leak  exploitative areas (such as spawning asteroids in undisclosed belts) you could get sued...hence thats why you mail them a copy of your license and a bunch of contracts.

so, .......................no.

Forums Mods don't do whatever they want lol

Bias is hard to detect for people overseeing mods.

A post that one mod might say is borderline, another will delete and say it was flaming.

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Originally posted by Celt0r

Bias is hard to detect for people overseeing mods.

A post that one mod might say is borderline, another will delete and say it was flaming.

I totally agree, there is always a fine grey line in that area of what is borderline and what is flaming. Every forum MOD team grapples with that issue.  However, DustyBallz mentioned that forum mods "do what they want" and that is where the error lies.

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• conanownsconanowns Member Posts: 114

You r correct this game is boring and utterly devoid of anything that is unboring.

in other words this game is teh sucimage

Originally posted by conanowns

You r correct this game is boring and utterly devoid of anything that is unboring.

in other words this game is teh sucimage

Right because you can't play for 12 to 20 hours a day and powergame you're way through the game.  Go back and play Lineage 2.

Beta tester supreme

Beta tester supreme