Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So much for EVE Dying

124»

Comments

• JADEDRAG0NJADEDRAG0N Member Posts: 733
    Originally posted by Agricola1

The only entity that could bring EVE to its knees is a company called CCP, so far this year they've done more damage than good. Dont know about that most of the scandals were proven to be false However one way or another EVE has to stop growing at some point (no game will last until the end of time), and at some point all MMOs reach a critical mass where they can no longer gain more subscribers than they lose. The Subs will level off at that point then begin a slow decline, in my personal opinion the events that came to light at the begining of this year and the following circus has set this off prematurly.This is in despite that subsciber numbers are still rising and now most days online accounts regully reach above 32,000.
    It has taken EVE a long time to reach that critical mass but over the last year it gained momentum, now I see CCP scrambling in desperation to retain subs by inviting some BS comittee to Iceland. A good idea on paper, but it has the potential to infuriate and disgust the playberbase even further. I believe this year is the turning point for EVE, CCP has stated they don't want all their eggs in one basket. For me the changing of the war mechanic destroyed the game for me, Out of curiosity what game mechanic was this?  I'd spent many hours in the past looking for fights in 0.0. Been there, done that and bought the T-shirt. Then they try to force me to fight where they want, it used to be FFA PvP and if you didn't like it you could join an NPC corp or go play a carebear game. Now you can stay because they brought the carebear to EVE and drove out the FFA PvPers who kept this game alive in its infancy. Reminds me of a game/company I left to come to EVE many years ago, SWG/SOE incase you're wondering.
    For me the golden age of EVE died this year and all the goodtimes are memories. For you people just starting with low SP chars (below 20mil) the good times may seem to be only just begining. Well I just hope it keeps up for you and they don't have any more disasterous knee jerk reactions to players having fun, I would say I hope there isn't another scandal but EVE has always been full of scandal and cheating from day one. Besides the cheating, scandal and corruption is probably the most exciting part of the game for us vets now! Err ok now if you refer to Escrow and contract scams and stuff like that well you should know thats part of the game and easily avoided. If you refer to stuff like the Goonswarm thing well that was proven as false pretty quicly.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Passes the "NO.1 EVE Fanbois torch" to JADEDRGAON, because for a while there I was holding that torch but trust me mate it gets old real quick! Then after you reach 20 mil sp or more you'll realize one day that all you got out of it was a sore arm, you might think I'm being nasty here but I'm not. Just trying to give you my perspective and let you know that about a year ago I was where you are now, I thought EVE was the best MMO on the market and for me it was. However CCP changed that with screwing up the war mechanic, if you don't know about it ask someone in your corp.

But you have many months of happy gaming ahead and you should be taking advantage of that rather than defending CCP to the hilt here. Let us old miserys moan about it here while your having fun, in a year or two you can join us and trust me you will since it happens to 9 out of 10 EVE players that make it over 20 milsp. They get jaded (no pun intented).

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• kovahkovah Member UncommonPosts: 692

Passes the "NO.1 EVE Fanbois torch" to JADEDRGAON, because for a while there I was holding that torch but trust me mate it gets old real quick! Then after you reach 20 mil sp or more you'll realize one day that all you got out of it was a sore arm, you might think I'm being nasty here but I'm not. Just trying to give you my perspective and let you know that about a year ago I was where you are now, I thought EVE was the best MMO on the market and for me it was. However CCP changed that with screwing up the war mechanic, if you don't know about it ask someone in your corp.
    But you have many months of happy gaming ahead and you should be taking advantage of that rather than defending CCP to the hilt here. Let us old miserys moan about it here while your having fun, in a year or two you can join us and trust me you will since it happens to 9 out of 10 EVE players that make it over 20 milsp. They get jaded (no pun intented).

I think you could remove EVE and CCP and SP from your post and add in any other game, game developer, or "max level" in it's place and what you said would still ring true.

Passes the "NO.1 EVE Fanbois torch" to JADEDRGAON, because for a while there I was holding that torch but trust me mate it gets old real quick! As does the fact that EvE haters [not nessasarily you tho] keep on comming here to tell us how crap and corrupt eve is and how we are stupid/blind not to see this and eave eve, despite the fact that we are enjoyng eve still. Then after you reach 20 mil sp or more you'll realize one day that all you got out of it was a sore arm, you might think I'm being nasty here but I'm not. Just trying to give you my perspective and let you know that about a year ago I was where you are now, I thought EVE was the best MMO on the market and for me it was. However CCP changed that with screwing up the war mechanic, if you don't know about it ask someone in your corp. Well frankly i did ask them and they are still scratching there heads over this one guy did mention a change to how missiles work tho was that it?
    But you have many months of happy gaming ahead and you should be taking advantage of that rather than defending CCP to the hilt here. Well right now my corp is a bit stuck due to a big mercenary corp sent by an old friend/enermy so apart fro skilling nd chatting on vent i go here and to other forums to chat goos thing tho is that my charecter is still advancing and i ahve more than enough cash Let us old miserys moan about it here while your having fun, in a year or two you can join us and trust me you will since it happens to 9 out of 10 EVE players that make it over 20 milsp. Well dont know about thte 9 out of 10 thing as i only see a few people who like to moan here They get jaded (no pun intented).

You are quite right right now i am enjoying eve and ive quickly learnt not to rush towards th bigger ships just so you know i have 8.4 million skillpoints and i still fly Cruisers . Tie that in with the 2 billion ive saved so far im all set for a good time.

Originally posted by kovah

I think you could remove EVE and CCP and SP from your post and add in any other game, game developer, or "max level" in it's place and what you said would still ring true.
     Heh yea i quite agree here one thing i have noticed tho the developers in eve do seem better than the ones from previous games ive tried and you can actually see new stuff being developed too which i also like about CCP.

Love them or hate them its hard to deny that these devs do try to do a good job it seems.

• ArcticblueArcticblue Member Posts: 270

Not that I have played so many MMORPG's but EVE-Online is the one that I have played most, in the 3 years I played it I where online on a daily basis .... as the CEO of Nordic freelancers corp (small corp btw) I felt responsibility for the others and always tried to find new ways  to make us money that did not involved mindless mining !!!

But facts where I where a great miner :-P I had good miningskills as that was one of the things I went for early in the game, also had great industrial skills too and eventually had good fightingskills because I went on to do quite abit of missionrunning in low sec.

At the most think we did buy minerals around the universe (even low sec) hauling it with the freighter (my second account where a freighterpilot btw), while my main could be running missions and shit.

As said no other game have kept me playing on a daily basis as EVE-Online and if it had not been for the cheating and CCP's attitude towards fixing things I probably would still be online for a daily basis.

I have been playing WoW now for like I don't know.. since February ? and can in no way see myself playing WoW for 3 years.. when I reach lvl 70 (slow advance I know but you just don't get XP by killing people :-P ) I don't know what to do, I don't know if I will be raiding with the guild-members ..maybe I will ... but do I have time ?.

Also that is one of the reasons I still frequent on this forum and EVE-Online's forum to see if they maybe ... do fix things.

But ofcourse I do know it won't happen... and to some friends who really wanted to take my character btw .. 40 million skillpoint with shitload of equipment btw (10 battleships including 1 Nightmare faction battleship, several other factionships as I sort of where collecting them :-P).

But nobody is every going to take over those, ofcourse I suspect I have lost my 2 Tech 2 bpo's I had ...

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700

I call BS

Agricola I have never seen you post anything even remotely positive about EVE in the entire time I have been on these boards.  I don't buy that you were ever a 'fanboi' much less a fan.  CCP has made mistakes... they've also done a lot to correct those mistakes.  Just because a few players were so jaded as to quit over it doesn't mean EVE reached any sort of 'critical mass' this year.  As evidenced by the fact that the game is still GROWING despite the "scandal".

Your hatred of CCP is obvious and clear.  The fact that you troll every single thread about EVE and have that stupid sig line proves that all you are is an EVE hate-monger who trolls every single thread about the game in order to tell people how much you hate it. 

Frankly I've had a lot of fun in EVE.  I'm sure (god I hope so) that one day another game will come along that I like better but until then I have found my time in EVE to be fun, rewarding, and some of the most challenging MMORPG play I've had. 

If all you have are jaded memories then that's too bad for you.  I pity you actually.  After all, nobody held a gun to your head and forced you to play a game you so obviously hated playing.   If you even played it.

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

Originally posted by Taram

I call BS

Agricola I have never seen you post anything even remotely positive about EVE in the entire time I have been on these boards.  I don't buy that you were ever a 'fanboi' much less a fan.  CCP has made mistakes... they've also done a lot to correct those mistakes.  Just because a few players were so jaded as to quit over it doesn't mean EVE reached any sort of 'critical mass' this year.  As evidenced by the fact that the game is still GROWING despite the "scandal".

Your hatred of CCP is obvious and clear.  The fact that you troll every single thread about EVE and have that stupid sig line proves that all you are is an EVE hate-monger who trolls every single thread about the game in order to tell people how much you hate it. 

Frankly I've had a lot of fun in EVE.  I'm sure (god I hope so) that one day another game will come along that I like better but until then I have found my time in EVE to be fun, rewarding, and some of the most challenging MMORPG play I've had. 

If all you have are jaded memories then that's too bad for you.  I pity you actually.  After all, nobody held a gun to your head and forced you to play a game you so obviously hated playing.   If you even played it.

Now every EVEangelist knows that I am Public Enemy #1 and Chairman of the Board of the mmorpg.com EVE Bash0rz Club, and I can testify that Agricola was indeed a EVEangelist before he came to accept the truth...one of the most tenacious I have encountered, I might add.

Take this one from 12/27/06.  It's a statement that is eerily similar to many the EVEangelists make today:

"Could I have an example of the retribution free enviroment?

Could I have an example of pressuring CCP and the GMS that give you an unfair advantage over your fellow gamer?

Could I have a clear example of CCP giving into pressure, therefore allowing a group to have an unfair advantage?

I've played for nearly two years now and I disagree with with nearly all of what you said, your post seems very bitter towards CCP."

That was posted by none other than Agricola.  Former practitioner of EVE-based oncological medicine.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• LeJohnLeJohn Member Posts: 313

Passes the "NO.1 EVE Fanbois torch"  Stuff...

I call BS

Are you sure?  I do have a hard time remembering names but unless some one elses has the same Avatar pic in their sig I seem to remember that until I beleve the end of Feb or first of March he was nailing me all the time when ever I mentioned any thing. And while I try not to say any just to be neg about EVE you know I will chime in when I see properganda  or fanboi rants (which is what i rememebr him doing, but then again it could just be the meds..) .

Argg.. I cant even spell the word "em" (me) today.....

Originally posted by LeJohn

Passes the "NO.1 EVE Fanbois torch"  Stuff...

I call BS

Are you sure?  I do have a hard time remembering names but unless some one elses has the same Avatar pic in their sig I seem to remember that until I beleve the end of Feb or first of March he was nailing me all the time when ever I mentioned any thing. And while I try not to say any just to be neg about EVE you know I will chime in when I see properganda  or fanboi rants (which is what i rememebr him doing, but then again it could just be the meds..) .

Argg.. I cant even spell the word "em" (me) today.....

Meh... I could be wrong.  I don't claim to have the best memory in the world for names of posters either.

I will say this:  It would be an interesting psychological study to see why people who like a game for years suddenly become so hateful towards it.  It's not an uncommon occurance.  It happens with players of every single MMORPG... pretty odd that people, when they find a new  'favorite' mmorpg suddenly find fault with games they played and enjoyed for years.  And every fault or mistake they used to forgive or at least tolerate are suddenly untolerable and inexcuseable and deliberate attacks by the developers upon their very being and existence.

I find it pretty sad... but if you look at any forum on this site it happens in every single one of them.  What's odd is the only game that really deserved that kind of reaction was Star Wars Galaxies when SOE & LEC completely betrayed their playerbase by hoodwinking them into buying an expansion then less than a week later totally changed the entire core concept of the game on them.

No other MMORPG, that I have seen, has done anything remotely like that.  Sure CCP had their bad apple who screwed up royally and some REALLY bad decisions on how to handle the situation around it.  But they didn't deliberately trick players into buying a game nor did they try to hide things once they started to face facts and deal with the situation.    Mythic never did anything to betray their players but oh my god it was sad to see how many people acted like it was the end of the world when they joined EA (I admit I have my doubts about that merger as well).  Long time fans suddenly 'hated' the game and became avidly intent on talking bad about it. 

I dunno.... interesting sociology study in there somewhere I bet :)

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Beatnik59 you made me squirm on reading those quotes, I remember making them and I admit it. I'm not trying to jump on some hate bandwagon because it's popular and I don't "hate" EVE. EVE is a very good game in my opinion, well thought out and well implemented I don't see how I can hate a computer game any more than I could hate a car. I might dislike or disapprove of the cars design and/or preformance but as to hating it for that, it's an inanimate object. As for the company that made it, well I can hate CCP just the same as I could hate Enron (I know I'm just trying to make my point, not saying the two are alike by any means, so calm down there JADE!).

As for the war mechanic well CCP made it impractical for anyone to be able to sustain more than one war. They made the system so complicated that it's pretty easy for a single corp/alliance to exploit it so that the enemy would go broke long before hurting their target. And yes even an enemy such as BoB would feel suh a drain (if exploited properly) that they'd call off any empire war (not that they do empire wars anyway, just an example). What made me angry was is that after 3-4 years they changed it due to 0.0 alliances that have DEVs on MSN (but they'll remain nameless) crying that privateers were hijacking and ransoming their freighters and basically cutting them off from empire. More than one of the big alliances cried and CCP changed the game to suit them, no discussions no mention in the DEV blog, just "Oh BTW in 2 weeks your gamestyle that you've played for 3 years will be dead because our friends don't like it". So yeah I despise CCP managment, if that's a crime on these forums then go ahead and pod me.

I was the model EVE Fanbois for a while, because EVE and CCP were my model MMO/company all in one package for a while. Then I suppose I woke up and smelt the coffee (or some other substance) one day. It wasn't that I thought CCP was squeaky clean (ok maybe I did, since Beatnik59 has files on me!), but it was that none of the scandals ever effected me or my game in anyway so it was like water over a ducks back. Then the T20 thing happened and I stopped defending CCP, but defended the game itself (which I still think is probably one of if not the top MMO ATM). Then CCP pulled some really shady crap that erased my EVE play style. I felt like I'd been bent over the prison table and made to bite down on "Bubba's" leather belt, and after being a former SWG player I wasn't gonna let it slide (not that I let the C/U/R/B or NGE slide, but that's a different game/company).

So that's me, it's not that I like/dislike EVE anymore than anyother MMO, in fact I like more than most. It's the company and what they did to me personally, quite frankly the good RP train left the station when they first caught t20 and they didn't get on it. Now the train left the station last year but CCP are running after it in vain, and yes I have a personal axe to gring with them. So once again if grinding your personal axe with an MMO company on an MMO forum is a crime then shoot me. If you're enjoying the game my advice is play and enjoy it while it lasts, because one day you'll be joining me stretched on that prison table.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

Actually that old chane concerning the

privateers was changed  because The privaters had found  way of using that loophole to turn empire into 0.0 by being able to be at war with every empire corp. One thing you should alsonte is that after they started doing this most of the

privateer alliance moved back into 0.0 for the easy kills they could get there. My corp was decked by them too you know as was severall other corps in my area we were on speaking terms with. Yet most of them never even heard of the privateers. Of course after i readthe forums a bit it soon became clear what happened so i let them know ndadvised they petitioned it as an exploit of the alliance war declaring system.

True this was a big sudden change to the game  but it was needed as there was aloophole in the old system and certain people were abbusing it [ tho technically it wasant an exploit] So CCP plugged that loophole so the war declaring system was being used as it was meant to.

• rsrobinsonrsrobinson Member Posts: 13

Now the train left the station last year but CCP are running after it in vain, and yes I have a personal axe to gring with them. So once again if grinding your personal axe with an MMO company on an MMO forum is a crime then shoot me. If you're enjoying the game my advice is play and enjoy it while it lasts, because one day you'll be joining me stretched on that prison table.

Good lord, what a drama queen. Move on with your life, dude.
    Originally posted by Beatnik59

Now every EVEangelist knows that I am Public Enemy #1 and Chairman of the Board of the mmorpg.com EVE Bash0rz Club, and I can testify that Agricola was indeed a EVEangelist before he came to accept the truth...one of the most tenacious I have encountered, I might add.

Then how come ive hardly seen you then?

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Originally posted by JADEDRAG0N

With all the stuff concerning T20, Admiral Charwtfbbq, Graelyn's confession, etc., I really didn't have to be here all that much.  Plenty of other folks willing to step up to the plate.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

With all the stuff concerning T20, Admiral Charwtfbbq, Graelyn's confession, etc., I really didn't have to be here all that much.  Plenty of other folks willing to step up to the plate.

Well if appearing every so often makes you number one then every other rabid eve hater is no.1 too 

• LeJohnLeJohn Member Posts: 313

Meh... I could be wrong.  I don't claim to have the best memory in the world for names of posters either.

I will say this:  It would be an interesting psychological study to see why people who like a game for years suddenly become so hateful towards it.  It's not an uncommon occurance.  It happens with players of every single MMORPG... pretty odd that people, when they find a new  'favorite' mmorpg suddenly find fault with games they played and enjoyed for years.  And every fault or mistake they used to forgive or at least tolerate are suddenly untolerable and inexcuseable and deliberate attacks by the developers upon their very being and existence.
    I find it pretty sad... but if you look at any forum on this site it happens in every single one of them.  What's odd is the only game that really deserved that kind of reaction was Star Wars Galaxies when SOE & LEC completely betrayed their playerbase by hoodwinking them into buying an expansion then less than a week later totally changed the entire core concept of the game on them.
    No other MMORPG, that I have seen, has done anything remotely like that.  Sure CCP had their bad apple who screwed up royally and some REALLY bad decisions on how to handle the situation around it.  But they didn't deliberately trick players into buying a game nor did they try to hide things once they started to face facts and deal with the situation.    Mythic never did anything to betray their players but oh my god it was sad to see how many people acted like it was the end of the world when they joined EA (I admit I have my doubts about that merger as well).  Long time fans suddenly 'hated' the game and became avidly intent on talking bad about it. 
    I dunno.... interesting sociology study in there somewhere I bet :)

Aggreed.. personally I beleve it's like most relationships.

If you have a casual relationship, say buds you see once in a while at the pool hall, park, beach etc..  Well you don't actually build or invest any time in them so if you go to the same place and they are not there it's no biggie.

But if you do invest time to build a relationship, even thought it's just a game, then it's easy to start taking things personally. In a way it's like a girl that you have invested the time and energy into building a relationship with. At first you have blinders on and can see or hear nothing bad as she is perfict. The when she does finely prove to be human you turn on her and eliuded and question the validity of her birth parents, for some, games are that same way.

It's natural for any of us to take it personal after we have invested time in a game and with MMOGs we are talking years invested.  I don't think that anyof us on this froum are not guilty of at some point saying "Dang it they are screwing with my game". Now whether the point that we have invested the amount of time in a game to actually consider it "our" game is a nessarly bad thing, I would simply consider it a natural thing.

You know i get really annoyed when someone spams the forums with Gold selling adds 

You know i dont recall these can you fill me in?

You know i dont recall these can you fill me in?

I believe Admiral charwtfbbq was the "issue" where a former player who got hired as a GM sold a bunch of his T2 bpo's and talked about how invention was going to destroy their value with other players.  Shortly AFTER the dev blogs regarding invention were posted and AFTER invention was already live in SISI and BEFORE he even got interviewed by CCP... could be mixing that up with something else though.  In the end it was a bunch of ado about nothing.  Just a player unloading stuff he had a hunch would lose value before it did.  Smart move on his part and smart advice he gave to his corp mates to do the same.  Based on readily available information that had already been released to the entire playerbase.  In fact there had been multiple threads debating whether T2 BPO's would be affected by invention on the EVE-O forums already.   It's interesting to note that 99.999% of the entire eve posting community on the EVE-O forums was 100% behind the 'gm/player' in this case and all came to his defense when the 'allegations' came to 'light'. 

A) He wasn't a dev/gm at the time, hadn't even interviewed for the job yet in fact.

B) The stuff he was talking about was common knowledge.

Graelyn issue was the ISD agent who was on final warning and sold a bunch of email addresses of players to email spammer sites (among other things) and got canned for allegedly bumping a BoB dread during a major engagement.  Whether he bumped the dread or not is irrelevant, his handling of the situation was appaling from a customer service standpoint.  I'd have fired his ass for talking to my customers that way too.  (note: Based on HIS account, not anyone elses).    Oh... that and the silliness about some DEV joining a goon corp to answer a PETITION About a broken corp manufacturing array in a pos.  Seems the goons have a director who can't remember that he files petitions.

Bottom line:  The only real incident that's come along in the past year was the T20 incident.... which is so much of a dead horse now it's not even worth thinking about anymore except as a perfect example of how NOT to handle such an incident.  Hopefully CCP has done everything they say they have to prevent it happening again.

Ahh yes i remember  those now heh they were so minor really i forgot them.

• blackcat35blackcat35 Member Posts: 479

Darn, I've been away for a bit, please tell me I didn't miss more CCP scamming info I am not already aware of.....

==========================
    The game is dead not, this game is good we make it and Romania Tv give it 5 goat heads, this is good rating for game.

• Gotrek65Gotrek65 Member UncommonPosts: 29

I've been playing this game for the past 3 years and 4 months. The game has gotten a bit stale for me but with the promise of a DX10 client and the new social/rpg addition they're promissing in quater 4 will really renew my faith in the game.