Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So much for EVE Dying

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

Originally posted by JADEDRAG0N

let me guess BoB sent 100 ships in and your alliance sent in 300 to overwhelm them  You should know by now how to reduce lag in eve [I.E. next time send in 100 and keep th rest as re-inforcments].

I watched the video of the BoB Titan being killed and this would appear to be the exact tactic that was employed.  I watched the ship list shrink as they would die, only to see the list replenish as more new combatants warped in to continue the fight.  This occurs all through the video and the Red Army player who recorded it never had more than about 20 corp mates on the list at any time. (Goonswarm seemed to be fielding maybe double the numbers that RA had)

Sounds like sending 100+ ships into a battle isn't a very good tactic, unless you are purposely trying to lag out the battle to help win it.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ikaruga2023ikaruga2023 Member Posts: 8

lolz i couldn't stop laughing. I have no clue whats going on but that post by Dion was hilarious. Your english is great, just funny to read :)

<3 you

Anyways, i doubt EvE is worth playing anymore...

• JADEDRAG0NJADEDRAG0N Member Posts: 733
    Originally posted by ikaruga2023

lolz i couldn't stop laughing. I have no clue whats going on but that post by Dion was hilarious. Your english is great, just funny to read :)
    <3 you

And i doubt considering you posting history that you have ever played eve. Enjoy playing the grindfest thats cabal online 

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700

<3 you

Well... around 1-200 thousand people seem to disagree with you :)  I happen to be one of them.  EVE is the best MMO on the market right now, by far, in my opinion.

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

• JonnyBigBossJonnyBigBoss Member UncommonPosts: 702

Originally posted by Taram

<3 you

Well... around 1-200 thousand people seem to disagree with you :)  I happen to be one of them.  EVE is the best MMO on the market right now, by far, in my opinion.

Agreed my friend. I am getting tired of seeing people say it's bad just because they couldn't figure it out. It took me about 3 hours to get used to about 90% of the game, and now I not only understand it but it's incredibly fun. I am also tired of people saying there are no unique MMO's on the market. Look at EVE, how did it rip ANYTHING off? You don't even level for cryin out loud. Incredible game, I'm buying it when my trial ends. ;)

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Originally posted by JonnyWarhawk

<3 you

Agreed my friend. I am getting tired of seeing people say it's bad just because they couldn't figure it out. It took me about 3 hours to get used to about 90% of the game, and now I not only understand it but it's incredibly fun. I am also tired of people saying there are no unique MMO's on the market. Look at EVE, how did it rip ANYTHING off? You don't even level for cryin out loud. Incredible game, I'm buying it when my trial ends. ;)

I agree with you, EVE is an amazingly good game and I paid my sub fee earlier this month and plan to buy a 2nd sub this week. (need a good pvp rail gun character to go with my pve oriented missile boat)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ikaruga2023ikaruga2023 Member Posts: 8

Originally posted by Kyleran

Originally posted by JonnyWarhawk

<3 you

I agree with you, EVE is an amazingly good game and I paid my sub fee earlier this month and plan to buy a 2nd sub this week. (need a good pvp rail gun character to go with my pve oriented missile boat)

And i have to agree with the almighty who gives a f%ck =/ i couldnt care less about EvE's ratings. The only reason i took the time to post in this craptastical topic is because white-wolf is working with EvE which means awesome mmorpg for all White-Wolf/Camarilla fanboiz. Also i thought something exciting happened in EvE but Dion's post was more exciting then these 6 pages of ridiculous babbling. Furthermore i need more posts and what are 1-200thousand ppl gonna do to me? Lulz u guys are funny. Don't bother quoting me and replying just ignore this post like it never happened :)

Peace

P.S. Cabal online sucks gg gtfo gaia feg

And i have to agree with the almighty who gives a f%ck =/ i couldnt care less about EvE's ratings. The only reason i took the time to post in this craptastical topic is because white-wolf is working with EvE which means awesome mmorpg for all White-Wolf/Camarilla fanboiz Cant argue here . Also i thought something exciting happened in EvE but Dion's post was more exciting then these 6 pages of ridiculous babbling lol . Furthermore i need more posts and what are 1-200thousand ppl gonna do to me? Lulz u guys are funny. Don't bother quoting me and replying just ignore this post like it never happened :)

Peace

P.S. Cabal online sucks gg gtfo gaia feg I can understand the first 3 words but what about the rest?

• kjemperkjemper Member Posts: 181

I doubt this game will ever die with the way the devs keep upgrading everything.  They also actually listen to their players unlike some other companies.. *cough* SOE *cough*  They are even redoing all the graphics and adding completely new levels to the game such as walking, talking, moving avatars in stations.  They will always add new levels of content to this game. 

• CroatoanCroatoan Member UncommonPosts: 17

EVE Online WILL die....and here's why:

The devs have brought about many improvements in the game in terms of mechanics and such, but have yet to offer a major graphical improvement.  Now some of you might say that a graphics engine upgrade isn't necessary - that the graphics are already 'stunning' enough.  But as the gaming world progresses, EVE's graphics will quickly become redundant and outdated. 

Also, CCP has plans to free EVE'ers from their ships sometime in 2008.  While I don't know to what extent they will allow us to roam outside the ship, I still don't believe it's going to be enough.  As someone said earlier in this thread, PVP lag issues are a BIG problem when in fleet battles.  I began playing EVE in the early days when BS's were the shizzle.  Even back then, the lag with just 100 players in the same system was horrendous.  Ships were lost - players left.  Nothing stings worse than losing your expensive combat ship to lag, and then having your petition rejected because 'the logs appear to be normal'.

The only thing that I think will save EVE from certain doom is to introduce planetary combat into the game.  Create a new interface which would allow first person combat on planets - a la Planetside perhaps?  Allow the forces to be supported by ships orbiting the planets, and to be reinforced via supply drops, etc.  Imagine two vast armies fighting on the surface of a planet(would only be practical on terran planets).  Do this, and the subscription numbers would TRIPLE. 

I believe the killer will be Star Trek Online.

Originally posted by Croatoan

EVE Online WILL die....and here's why: Ill just say before i begine its obvious you havent played or even reserched eve.

The devs have brought about many improvements in the game in terms of mechanics and such, but have yet to offer a major graphical improvement As we all know the graphics Engine is currently based on DirectX 7.0 Later this year its being replaced with one that uses DirectX 9.0 also the textures are being fixed up as are all the 3d models, this is common knoledge and evena pears in this topic so its obvious you havent even looked at eve..  Now some of you might say that a graphics engine upgrade isn't necessary - that the graphics are already 'stunning' enough.  But as the gaming world progresses, EVE's graphics will quickly become redundant and outdated. 
    Also, CCP has plans to free EVE'ers from their ships sometime in 2008 actually late 2007 to early 2008 .  While I don't know to what extent they will allow us to roam outside the ship Thats obvious its walking in the stations as a social and trading tool , I still don't believe it's going to be enough.  As someone said earlier in this thread, PVP lag issues are a BIG problem when in fleet battles.  I began playing EVE in the early days when BS's were the shizzle.  Even back then, the lag with just 100 players in the same system was horrendous.  Ships were lost - players left.  Nothing stings worse than losing your expensive combat ship to lag, and then having your petition rejected because 'the logs appear to be normal'.
    The only thing that I think will save EVE from certain doom is to introduce planetary combat into the game.  Create a new interface which would allow first person combat on planets - a la Planetside perhaps?  Allow the forces to be supported by ships orbiting the planets, and to be reinforced via supply drops, etc.  Imagine two vast armies fighting on the surface of a planet(would only be practical on terran planets).  Do this, and the subscription numbers would TRIPLE. 

Its pretty obvious you know nothing about EvE and its current direction you may claim to have played in the early years but that means nothing now as eve has changed so much now since them as to render suc knoledge obselete.

Also EvE's subcriber base is still growing - Currently 210,000.

• HerkmeckHerkmeck Member Posts: 206

I recently ended my account(s) on Eve-online.  Why?  Nothing left to do...except  the 'player vs lag' battles my alliance was famous for.  Win or loose that was getting real old.  Win and you feel good for a couple of minutes....loose and your set back several million isk  for ships and gear.  HOURS to make up that lost....you know its just as fun to sign on to a halo server and kill off the blue...or red....or the cake eaters!  And if you die?  You just respawn and go at it again! 

No I dont think Eve will die off anytime soon, but games like WoW will allways draw a bigger player base due to the lack of stiff penalties when you die.  Oh another thing....I never played WoW nor do I ever intened too....

I did not leave due to players claims of CCP misconduct.

• crystalshinecrystalshine Member Posts: 59

EVE  isn't a bad game at all..if you have the time ..and lets face it time is something EVE requires more then most games .I play it but I'm a total noob at it ,so for me its the endless DAYS of skill learning and missions  which can get to be a bit much . I have a destroyer ..but I cant go into 0.0 space yet , it will be a few months before I can enter those areas with any chance of survival , atm if I dont have someone else with me that is in a stronger ship its bye bye "s for me  which is very fustrating .but as a game to play while I wait for something else to surface it's perfect and I might even keep it going after I start that mystical new game that all gamers are searching for    deffinantly give EVE a chance its not fast pace but it's constant and you can play it for a while and leave only to pick up were you left off with no harm done 

• ColoursColours Member Posts: 4

I've enjoyed playing eve online but I am not impressed by the reported "number of subscribers" as in some systems I have been in the real players are outnumbered 9-1 by farmers.  In terms of regions i have spent  a lot of time in the last 2.5 years ..i estimate that the number of farmers versus players is on average 3 to 1

• MoobkradMoobkrad Member Posts: 308

The devs have brought about many improvements in the game in terms of mechanics and such, but have yet to offer a major graphical improvement.  Now some of you might say that a graphics engine upgrade isn't necessary - that the graphics are already 'stunning' enough.  But as the gaming world progresses, EVE's graphics will quickly become redundant and outdated. 
    Also, CCP has plans to free EVE'ers from their ships sometime in 2008.  While I don't know to what extent they will allow us to roam outside the ship, I still don't believe it's going to be enough.  As someone said earlier in this thread, PVP lag issues are a BIG problem when in fleet battles.  I began playing EVE in the early days when BS's were the shizzle.  Even back then, the lag with just 100 players in the same system was horrendous.  Ships were lost - players left.  Nothing stings worse than losing your expensive combat ship to lag, and then having your petition rejected because 'the logs appear to be normal'.

Graphics are pretty good atm. They did said they are upgrading them. But I still think the current ones are great.

In terms of lag, I go to Jita often. There is a steady amount of 400-600 players there every day. I have no problem. In fleet battles, with large numbers I don't have a problem either. It lags me when I load onto the system, but from there on the frame rate is not that low. But then again, I did spent good moola on my gaming rig. My laptop does lags on busy areas.

Wow.... have you been under a rock for the past year?  A completely new graphics engine being released with Revelations III this winter.   Ability to leave your ship and walk about the station seeing all new fully rendered 3D environments inside station, fully interactable:  This winter.  Directx10 required for VISTA users and DX9 for anything else etc etc

You were saying?

Erm... there's no lag in 100 ship battles any longer.  At least not that I've experienced.... when you get 200-300 yeah there is lag... and when there's 500 on a grid it can get really bad too.  But in general the huge lag issues of yesteryear only really occur now in Jita or when Bob and Goon/RA start going at it with humongous fleets.  I've been in a 300 ship battle and yeah it was a LITTLE laggy but nothing worth complaining about.  Been in laggier situations in DAOC or any other MMO by far.  Hell go on a big WOW raid and there's more lag than in EVE battles now (as I said... unless it's truely a HUIGE battle.  About the only place there is lag regularly is Jita... on sundays... when 34,000 players are online and Jita local is over 900 constantly.

Planetary combat is on the long term plan.  Maybe someone should read the dev blogs for a change instead of just spouting off the top of their heads without doing any research whatsoever?

I doubt it.  Totally different concept in MMO's.  STO is going to be a level based quest driven game just like WOW, LOTRO etc.   While I do think a lot of EVE players will probably try it and even play it I don't see people who truely love EVE leaving for it.  It's just not a sandbox game and that's what the true fans of EVE love.  On top of that I haven't seen a truely successful Star Trek game in well..... ever?  And don't go spouting off about star trek academy or whatever it was.  It was dust in the wind compared to any of the wing commander or X wing titles or hell... even freelancer blew it away in box sales.  No... there has never been a truely successful Star Trek title because while it's an awesome franchise (and I'm a big trekkie myself) it doesn't lend itself well to gaming.  Never really has.  The best ones were star trek fleet battles which were tactical fleet combat games.  NOT RPG's.  Will it do well?  I am sure it well.  But I really don't think it's going to kill EVE.  I'd be far more concerned about Infinity or Jumpgate: Evolution than STO to be honest.

• blackcat35blackcat35 Member Posts: 479

from what I was reading, star trek online is going to blow, they didn't listen to players much and it is sounding very lame, I'd not get your hopes up with SWO. 

My understanding is that Jumpgate and earth and beyond are both dead.......

==========================
    The game is dead not, this game is good we make it and Romania Tv give it 5 goat heads, this is good rating for game.

Originally posted by blackcat35

from what I was reading, star trek online is going to blow, they didn't listen to players much and it is sounding very lame, I'd not get your hopes up with SWO. 

I agree on all points here which is sort of a shame as early on STo looked interesting. I am however watching infinity tho its a bit hard to say if it will work.

I agree on all points here which is sort of a shame as early on STo looked interesting. I am however watching infinity tho its a bit hard to say if it will work.

Agree... STO looks bad... which I already pointed out. 

As to Jumpgate you might want to get current on a game before commenting:

NetDevil is entering closed beta for a completely new version of Jumpgate called Jumpgate: Evolution.  The next 'generation' of the original game with a completely new engine, graphics and game interface.  The same basic mechanics that made Jumpgate so good are still there but the graphics and gameplay have been greatly enhanced.  I'm currently trying to get into the beta.

I don't think JG:E will be an EVE killer.  But it's a lot more likely to pull EVE players than STO.  Both have player driven economies.  Both have player owned stations, etc.  Both have the ability to conquer territory and fly in space.  JG is more of a 'sim' than an RPG though because there is no 'character customization' unless they've added that in JG:E  which in itself appeals to a LOT of people who want to play a PVP game based in space.  It's a 'twitch' game rather than a strategy/turn game.

• ArcticblueArcticblue Member Posts: 270

Nice... any release date for Jumpgate: Evolution ? since I can't play EVE-Online maybe this game can help me out

• LeJohnLeJohn Member Posts: 313

JG-E is taking apps for the closed beta, I'll see if i can find the addy.

http://www.jumpgate-evolution.com/

Oh,, but as taram mentions, the game play will be completly diffrent than EVEs.  Player RL skill will be more important then simply having the biggest gun.

Agree... STO looks bad... which I already pointed out. 

As to Jumpgate you might want to get current on a game before commenting: Errm im talking about Infinity not Jumpgate.

NetDevil is entering closed beta for a completely new version of Jumpgate called Jumpgate: Evolution.  The next 'generation' of the original game with a completely new engine, graphics and game interface.  The same basic mechanics that made Jumpgate so good are still there but the graphics and gameplay have been greatly enhanced.  I'm currently trying to get into the beta.

I don't think JG:E will be an EVE killer.  But it's a lot more likely to pull EVE players than STO.  Both have player driven economies.  Both have player owned stations, etc.  Both have the ability to conquer territory and fly in space.  JG is more of a 'sim' than an RPG though because there is no 'character customization' unless they've added that in JG:E  which in itself appeals to a LOT of people who want to play a PVP game based in space.  It's a 'twitch' game rather than a strategy/turn game.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

The only entity that could bring EVE to its knees is a company called CCP, so far this year they've done more damage than good. However one way or another EVE has to stop growing at some point (no game will last until the end of time), and at some point all MMOs reach a critical mass where they can no longer gain more subscribers than they lose. The Subs will level off at that point then begin a slow decline, in my personal opinion the events that came to light at the begining of this year and the following circus has set this off prematurly.

It has taken EVE a long time to reach that critical mass but over the last year it gained momentum, now I see CCP scrambling in desperation to retain subs by inviting some BS comittee to Iceland. A good idea on paper, but it has the potential to infuriate and disgust the playberbase even further. I believe this year is the turning point for EVE, CCP has stated they don't want all their eggs in one basket. For me the changing of the war mechanic destroyed the game for me, I'd spent many hours in the past looking for fights in 0.0. Been there, done that and bought the T-shirt. Then they try to force me to fight where they want, it used to be FFA PvP and if you didn't like it you could join an NPC corp or go play a carebear game. Now you can stay because they brought the carebear to EVE and drove out the FFA PvPers who kept this game alive in its infancy. Reminds me of a game/company I left to come to EVE many years ago, SWG/SOE incase you're wondering.

For me the golden age of EVE died this year and all the goodtimes are memories. For you people just starting with low SP chars (below 20mil) the good times may seem to be only just begining. Well I just hope it keeps up for you and they don't have any more disasterous knee jerk reactions to players having fun, I would say I hope there isn't another scandal but EVE has always been full of scandal and cheating from day one. Besides the cheating, scandal and corruption is probably the most exciting part of the game for us vets now!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• nechinechi Member Posts: 1

Well eve is good enough as single player game.

But i wont be touching anything Massively and Multiplayer in it with 10 foot pole as it stinks too much - sitting before black screen for hours  and listening to swearing on voice comm is not my cap of tea.

Add the fact that  it requires you to play at odd hours - to defend  or attack "internet starbases" so it easily beats idioticy of WoW with 8 hours long raids...

I am enjoying logging now and than for  an hour or two to  pve  but more and more thinking about buying battlecruiser millenium or similiar game as it offers much more content.

small scale PVP - sitting for hours to make one kill ... not my cup of tea - when privateers were active i greatly enjoyed it, but  after nerf  i just dont have enough spare time on my hands ...

Originally posted by nechi

Well eve is good enough as single player game.
    But i wont be touching anything Massively and Multiplayer in it with 10 foot pole as it stinks too much - sitting before black screen for hours  and listening to swearing on voice comm is not my cap of tea.
    Add the fact that  it requires you to play at odd hours - to defend  or attack "internet starbases" so it easily beats idioticy of WoW with 8 hours long raids...

I am enjoying logging now and than for  an hour or two to  pve  but more and more thinking about buying battlecruiser millenium or similiar game as it offers much more content.
    small scale PVP - sitting for hours to make one kill ... not my cup of tea - when privateers were active i greatly enjoyed it, but  after nerf  i just dont have enough spare time on my hands ...

I actally brought this game and trust mewhen i say its the same as the origonal Battlecruiser 

Wish you luck with it but i somehow doubt anyone really likes that game.