Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pacman is also a MMORPG.

DemsonDemson Member Posts: 23

The discussion weither Guild Wars is a mmorpg has arisen quite often. I'm actually quite intrigued by the subject, so I thought I should add to it.

I'll explain my stance by the following statement:

Pacman is also a mmorpg. Here's why:

It is massive. Thousands if not millions of players play it.

It is multiplayer. There are pacman-sites which also feature ranking lists. As result, multiple players can experience pacman together.

It is on-line. There are plenty of websites which host pacman.

Role-playing. If Diablo 2 is a roleplaying game, Pacman is an Opera.

Game. One of the most popular ever, really.

All these points are valid. You can argue with them - but it will not change the legimate reasoning of the above statement. Pacman can be considered to be a mmorpg.

And so can Guild Wars.

Period.

Comments

• DarkCreedDarkCreed Member Posts: 88
    in order for it to be massively multyplayer, there has to be able to have multiple people on the same server seeing eachother play, and often in my opinion it has to be a consistant world, meening that if you go to sleep the stuff that you have done will still effect other players while they play

98% of the teenage population does or has accepted Marijauna propoganda. If you are one of the 2% that thinks for yourselves and has read any of the many scientific studies that prove cannabis is harmless then please paste this in your signiture.

• DemsonDemson Member Posts: 23

Originally posted by DarkCreed
    in order for it to be massively multyplayer, there has to be able to have multiple people on the same server seeing eachother play, and often in my opinion it has to be a consistant world, meening that if you go to sleep the stuff that you have done will still effect other players while they play

They do. They have ranking lists keeping track of scores. Players thus can see each other play, and their actions will affect other players on the same server.

If Pacman isn't a mmorpg because it has multiple servers, SWG isn't a mmorpg either.

Anyhow - I think you are missing the point of my post. Think it over. :)

• EvleprechaunEvleprechaun Member Posts: 14
    Yeah but you can only have 4 people per server... so it's not massively multiplayer.image

"Canada? Why would I want to leave America to visit America Jr.?"
    -Homer Simpson

Originally posted by Evleprechaun
    Yeah but you can only have 4 people per server... so it's not massively multiplayer.image "Canada? Why would I want to leave America to visit America Jr.?"
    -Homer Simpson

With pacman? The listing usually shows only the top scores, but there are listings that keep track of massive amounts of scores.. Public or hidden ;)

Or with guild wars? The 'lobby' rooms usually had more then 4 people in it, really. That, or I am worse at estimating numbers then I am at predicting reactions.

::::40::

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359
    To abruptly end your debate.  Guild Wars was NEVER said to be an mmorpg.  It is an mmocg.  A massive multiplayer online competetive game. 

--------------------------------------------

33.333333333333336% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?

Originally posted by dekron
    To abruptly end your debate.  Guild Wars was NEVER said to be an mmorpg.  It is an mmocg.  A massive multiplayer online competetive game.  --------------------------------------------33.333333333333336% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?--------------------------------------------

But I said it is a mmorpg, didn't I?

Besides - it has been said Guild Wars is a mmorpg. Check out the other topics in the boards.

• SeriphosSeriphos Member Posts: 56

massively mutliplayer means lots of people on at the same time interacting with each other. you dont interact with any real person in pac man. and no a ranking list doesnt count as one.

this was an entertaining post, but im sorry pac man is not an MMORPG...

Seriphos Seraphim
    Elite Gathering Guild Leader
    http://www.freewebs.com/elitegathering/
    Guild Wars alpha tester

Guild Wars Closed Alpha Tester
    Lineage 2 Closed Beta Tester
    Everquest 2 Closed Beta Tester
    Risk Your Life Closed Beta Tester

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359

Originally posted by Demson

But I said it is a mmorpg, didn't I?
    Besides - it has been said Guild Wars is a mmorpg. Check out the other topics in the boards.

lemme rephrase.  The publisher NEVER said it was a mmorpg.

Massively multi player.

Big manyplayers.

Huge lots-a-players.

I don't see how massively multiplayer means you have to be on at the same time. Not even when it is massively multiplayer online. Allot of people play pacman together, right? Heck - even if... It can be done together at the same time... It's just not very desirable.

Also - you do interact with real persons in pacman. The ranking lists, remember.

I am sorry too - pacman can still be considered to be a mmorpg. ;)

Originally posted by dekron

lemme rephrase.  The publisher NEVER said it was a mmorpg.

But I did. And so did other people. Heck, even mmorpg.com listed it as a mmorpg.

• tallsmartmantallsmartman Member Posts: 53

*looks at original post*

Originally posted by tallsmartman
    *looks at original post*

My obvious insanity is besides the point. =)