Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good computer bad performance

mo0rbidmo0rbid Member Posts: 363
I recently started playing AO.

My computer:

3800+ amd 64 x2 (dualcore)

7600GT XXX

2048mb RAM 533mhz

I can run EQ2 very smoothly but not this game. why? I'm always experiencing constant fps problems WHY?

any help would be usefull

(I have set so that 1 CPU works on client.exe) otherwise the game is really fckd

help

Comments

• mo0rbidmo0rbid Member Posts: 363

I have to agree with you. I *think* that the numbers of new paying costumers is almost none existant. I cant really see why they dont just make it all free or atleast fix the game so its playable. It's a great game and all. I like it when its really hard but I rubberband alot and my fps sucks : / its really too bad. they should make everything free or atleast take some months to fix the engine the game runs on

offtopic: I see that you're into WAR, I hope to be seeing you on release ; )

• AbronzAbronz Member Posts: 126

I think it has to do with the fact that AO uses an older version of Direct X and therefore does not use much of the graphic power of the video card.  It relys more or less on the CPU for everything.

One of the upgrades Funcom plans on doing is to use a newer graphics engine so that the game uses the video card more.  This will hopfully knock out most of the lag.

It's funny, I have a 8800 and dual core and the game runs bad.

• LaoZhuZongLaoZhuZong Member Posts: 62

I have not use a dual core system before, but what I've read from other 'old game' forum, ppl used to change the client program to 1 particular core and problem is solved.

Have you been able to try that out?

If it doesn't work, don't blame me.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909944

...since you didn't specify what the actual symptom of the problem.....

another example....

http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=438186

• arcanum123arcanum123 Member Posts: 1

i'm running on a :

3.20 ghz P4 HT CPU Dual Core (it runs like a single core to me O_o)

504 MB or RAM

and integrated intel video card

i seem to have no problem running it except minor lag

it may have something to do with the upload speed for your internet

i use cable and that might be the reason i have no problems

btw dont kill me :P

i'm just saying thats what i got

• KasimirKasimir Member Posts: 197

Strange.. I dont have anything near that computer power and it runs flawlessly for me. And no, I am not some dork straight out of kindergarten, I was there when AO opened, I stuck with it that first horrible year and that not so horrible but bad anyway second year, I know EVERYTHING about the old rubberbanding and pathing problems. Not had that happened on my froob account even once, though.

I think it has more to do with AO not able to handle the latest computers and their technology (which they are fixing in the graphics update), than the old bugs from yesteryear. Of course, each year someone wakl into the forum and say its just as bad as first year like the guy a bit below OP... Normally they dont even know what first year was, or what has happened since then.

Edit: Ah.. Its Rhoklaw... He complains about EVERYTHING, pay him no heed.

Anatomy of a Fanboi

This is you.

• FarseenFarseen Member UncommonPosts: 344

Originally posted by Rhoklaw

I used to play AO when it first came out and just came back to be a FROOB. Let me just start by saying there is nothing you can do to improve your gameplay experience in AO. The constant lag, rubberbanding, disconnects and bugs have existed ever since the game launched. Funcom apparently doesn't know how or has never cared to fix a majority of AO's game stopping issues.
    Since it's currently free to play though, I think its a great game with a complex style of mechanics. However, Shadowbane had around the same amount of bugs and server stability issues and is completely free to play, forever. I think Funcom should just stop pretending AO is going to make them any kind of money and just make it free to play or atleast fix the game so it's half way playable.
    To be honest, I don't know where they got the funds to promote as many expansions as they have. Even more suprising, I don't know why they would spend those funds on a game in this condition. The game itself isn't bad, but the performance issues are a killer and they'll never generate any interest if they don't fix it.

Although Funcom has slacked in the past, their recent developments have been quite flawless. They are on their way back to fixing things for the modern age. Anarchy Online was obviously poorly programmed upon it's creation, and Funcom has seen some problems in trying to fix the programming. As you probably know however, the servers are down right now, are will be coming back up on the 9th of August (so tomorrow) with a whole new database.

I believe lag issues and rubberbanding and server stability problems will all be somewhat dissolved. They will then be working on updating their graphics engine, to support modern technology and what not.

Seriously though, I don't know why people question the game at all. It offers a free to play portion, and a pay to play portion. If you do pay, you get a hell of a lot more content. I'm a paying suscriber, and I can officially say I know a lot of other paying suscribers. The game isn't dying in the slightest, and in fact I believe its re-populating.

If you take a look at noob zones and main cities such as Borealis, you'll see people running around constantly. And if you start talking to people, you'll learn that many of them have upgraded their froob accounts to paying accounts.

I don't know enough about statistics and what not, but i can tell you that this game isn't dead nor is it dying. It's a remarkably unique game and that won't ever change. New graphics will make things totally awesome too, however for now I'm looking forward to the new database.

- Farseen

Current Game: Panzar

• tasteetastee Member Posts: 65
    Originally posted by Abronz

I think it has to do with the fact that AO uses an older version of Direct X and therefore does not use much of the graphic power of the video card.  It relys more or less on the CPU for everything.
    One of the upgrades Funcom plans on doing is to use a newer graphics engine so that the game uses the video card more.  This will hopfully knock out most of the lag.
    It's funny, I have a 8800 and dual core and the game runs bad.

Pretty much nailed it.. and memory leaks.. but devs will never admit it.

• camobeastcamobeast Member Posts: 4

My computer specs are about the same as yours but i dont experiance FPS issues and thats with graphics turned up.

• patrikd23patrikd23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,155

Then I think :    WE NEED Anarchy Online 2 !!  Come on dev team for AO do it do it !

• b4dhabitb4dhabit Member Posts: 7

the support for ao has done nothing but improve with Silirrion on top of it. apart from the recent probs with the server migration i have 0 probs playing ao, no disconnects, lag in rare instances. 

still the best all around mmorpg imo. great community lotsa helpful people great org atmosphere

fun pvp. me i like eye candy but that takes second to an enjoyable gaming experience and enviroment and ao to me is all that.

btw sry to here your having fps probs i play max settings at 1600x1200 problem free with rig below

sys specs

a64 3700+ san diego

2x1gb gskill cas 2 memory

2x 36.7 gig raptors

albatron 7800gt

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316
    Originally posted by tastee

There is a AO 2 already
    its called Age of Conan

enjoy

LOL, Age of Conan = Fantasy, AO = Sci-Fi.

• AceRoccolaAceRoccola Member UncommonPosts: 14

Do you have the dual core optimizer from AMD installed? I know that AO goes wacky without it.

Other than that, I don't know. I've never had a problem running AO, on all the 5 different systems I've played it on personally. I recently built a computer very similar to the build you have, and it runs with no problem after obtaining the dual core optimizer deal.

_____
    We can take these deadites... with science.