Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

runescape wasnt made for older players

wyvexwyvex Member UncommonPosts: 346
when i was 12-14 ish years old i played runescape, i also had a couple RL friends that played aswell, and it was probably the best gaming experience i ever had out of any mmo's. then when i was around 16 yrs old i thought back and went to try rs again and it was crap, and wasnt what it used to be. what im saying is that that runescape just isnt really for older players, thats probably why every one on mmorpg.com thinks this game sucks ass. there are people that are adults that play runescape every day but the majority of the community are kids. so probably if your one of the people that like to say runescape sucks ass get it off the net. and your older then 14/15 years old you should quit flaming rs and look for a game that suits your age

Comments

• RageMonsterRageMonster Member UncommonPosts: 120
    I think there are a lot of older folks that play RS.  I have met a lot of folks on there that are 40+ years old and they seem to like it.  I think you are probably right to say that a lot of more advanced players would get bored with RS.  For those new to MMOs I think it would be a great starting MMO.  It is easy to learn, features a lot of staple MMO things, and requires no download to play. 

• FlaxenFairyFlaxenFairy Member Posts: 44

Hey Mate,

Sadly i have to agree, the game seems to be based around a younger community. on the other hand though i have become very good friends with an older clan. there are varying ages from 24-60. They still believe the game is as exiting as ever. 

I believe that whilst the game is a younger community, if you know where to look for the older folk, try using the forums. For me the game became more enjoyable around a maturer community. For example talking about real life issues, reporting where we saw fit and necessary. I try to be a fair but stern player and i believe that this seems to attract a maturer community to you. 

If you look hard enough you will find all sorts of people playing runescape. Unfortunately i have retired from Runescape but still have made many friends, my Msn is now chocker with good friends i have made over the years. I have also found this with FLyff, i am currently active and always willing to help a noob in need.

Thanks For Reading

FlaxenFairy 2007

DOUBLE POSTERS WILL BE SHOT - PLEASE DO NOT - FLAME - SPAM - SWEAR - HIJACK -

FLAXENFAIRY 2007- HELPTING TO KEEP MMORPG.COM A SAFER PLACE FOR ALL

• wyvexwyvex Member UncommonPosts: 346
    yea when i played i was also in a big clan with only serious / mature players but still, i always saw most probably children just running around asking every or just shouting out "need gf (or need bf)", you probably have seen this a ton in non member worlds. there every where

• FlaxenFairyFlaxenFairy Member Posts: 44

Hey All,

Yes, unfortunately i am going to have to agree. Whilst i did find a small comunity of older players in which i manaed to comute and become good friends with, i spent most of my time dealing with 'Children'. As for the non members part i do not agree with, i cant stand non members it is simply a waste of life in my opinion. I found the best way to meet up with older players was through P2P.

I really do not understand why members of runescape go around asking to be your 'gf' and 'bf', i mean its only a game? There are other things in life that should be more important. i find that a lot of younger players seclude themselves from the world and simply just sit indoors. This is not what the game is about, it could potentially ruin someones life!

Please post your feelings on the matter?

Flaxenfairy 2007

DOUBLE POSTERS WILL BE SHOT - PLEASE DO NOT - FLAME - SPAM - SWEAR - HIJACK -

FLAXENFAIRY 2007- HELPTING TO KEEP MMORPG.COM A SAFER PLACE FOR ALL

• AkaJetsonAkaJetson Member Posts: 1,167
    Originally posted by wyvex

when i was 12-14 ish years old i played runescape, i also had a couple RL friends that played aswell, and it was probably the best gaming experience i ever had out of any mmo's. then when i was around 16 yrs old i thought back and went to try rs again and it was crap, and wasnt what it used to be. what im saying is that that runescape just isnt really for older players, thats probably why every one on mmorpg.com thinks this game sucks ass. there are people that are adults that play runescape every day but the majority of the community are kids. so probably if your one of the people that like to say runescape sucks ass get it off the net. and your older then 14/15 years old you should quit flaming rs and look for a game that suits your age
    yeah i agree 100%

?

• jnesmithjnesmith Member Posts: 8

Of course it was made for older players. The target demographic when the game first appeared was 18-30.

So what made it the babysitter its become today? Well, for one thing the march of technology and time has caused the game to become further removed, and irrelevant in the market. It's browser based and reliant on Sun's java engine, so the developers are very limited in where they can go with it graphics and sound-wise.

Second, with that passage of time comes the relentless onslaught of competing games that have far superior graphics, sound and playability. So in order for the company to attract as many players as possible, they concentrate on the youngest players with the smallest pocketbook, as young players are not as demanding in regards to how a game might look or sound, only that its fun. I remain amazed at how the developers have actually kept the game fun and enjoyable, it seems an uphill battle though.

There will come a point, however, when even young players will demand better, and the company will be forced to either abandon its Java platform or narrow the content of the game even further to attract an even younger audience (many people also play the game because it is free, or a mere five bucks a month for full content)

• oxcaitlinxooxcaitlinxo Member Posts: 15
    I would have to agree and disagree with everyone on this. Yes many younger kids play this game. But to really tell you the truth the first RS players on the game were generally older players around 18-22 and many of them were 16 also. Now over about a 6-10 year period those players, many of them are still playing, many of them have quit. Nowadays younger kids dont just play either this game actually suits a generally based age around 16-18 and many of them actually play through college.