Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Im a girlfriend of a DAoC player and i need HELP!!!

Ok, i have tried a lot of forums and gotten a lot of shit for doing this so please just offer possitive support.

My boyfriend plays DAoC and has since before i met him, im not complaining i actually like that he plays. It gives him a way to unwind after work and i can see it gives him a sense of accomplishment. But i want to be able t o congratulate/support him. Right now i feel like an idiot when i say "wow cool staff thing" so i talked to him and some of his friends but all ive come up with it "wow, you leveled up a lot last night"

So what im asking is for some sayings or quotes i can use. I semi-understand about 20% of whats going on in the game. Im trying to learn more and the site has a lot to offer but i just want to show him that im interested in what he is. He is so supportive of what i do i want to return the favor.

So any advice would be awesome!

Comments

• khaibitkhaibit Member Posts: 16
    Have you ever considered joining him and playing a bit? I'm not saying that you need to become an avid gamer, but you'd be surprised how fun MMO's could be, even if you only use them as a chat program with pretty graphics. One of my mates had an almost exact same situation as this, and his wife joined him in Eve. Just turn MMO gaming into something that you can both do together.
  • margaretmargaret Member Posts: 6

i am actually in the process of downloading the 14-day trial. i know he will be suprised. he had mentioned something before about me becoming a healer. he just plays alot and i would love to show him i want to be a part of what he is interested in.

:)

• RavkeenRavkeen Member UncommonPosts: 310
    There is not really much you can say to someone on a MMO if you really havn't played one. Just give it a try and see if you like it.

Hi I'm Ravkeen! image

Emilia_Emi Lvl 56 Witch
    Now Playing : Black Desert Online
    "America is not at war, the US Military is at war, America is at the mall."

• glordglord Member UncommonPosts: 338
    i would suggest a resource site such as allakhazam. they have tons of info on DAoC.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

I think the best way to show him your intrested is simply playing yourself, trial's free and both of you could work out a nice tank/healer duo. Other than that, theirs not alot of ways to tell someone wow this is amazing. I guess you can sort of hang around and watch him play when he's doing somthing intresting like pvp or grouping.

Definently try it out yourself, and dont feel to pressured about the whole thing. =)

• lilune666lilune666 Member Posts: 129

It's like crack, either you smoke it or you don't, really.  Have fun with your free trial! 

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516
    While my advice is silmilar to what has been stated before put on a twist.  See, joining him right off the start could be a bad thing.  My suggestion would be to start up the game yourself.  Go through some of the stuff and get a feel for the game.  Then you will start picking up on the nuances and jargon.  Then you can surprise him :D
  • NHO3NHO3 Member Posts: 84
    Originally posted by margaret

Ok, i have tried a lot of forums and gotten a lot of shit for doing this so please just offer possitive support.
    My boyfriend plays DAoC and has since before i met him, im not complaining i actually like that he plays. It gives him a way to unwind after work and i can see it gives him a sense of accomplishment. But i want to be able t o congratulate/support him. Right now i feel like an idiot when i say "wow cool staff thing" so i talked to him and some of his friends but all ive come up with it "wow, you leveled up a lot last night"
    So what im asking is for some sayings or quotes i can use. I semi-understand about 20% of whats going on in the game. Im trying to learn more and the site has a lot to offer but i just want to show him that im interested in what he is. He is so supportive of what i do i want to return the favor.
    So any advice would be awesome!

You are a good woman lol. My girlfriend plays MMOs with me :) It is so much fun and great not having somebody complain that your playing a game instead of spending time with them hehe. Anyway when I met my gf she was into games but never played a MMO before. She had a basic understanding for the fantasy world though being a girl that has interests in games. When we met I was not playing any MMOs. I was taking a break. A little later I started back up cause once u become a MMO gamer you can never stay away from them. I told my gf about EQII and she became instantly interested. All she had to do was show that she was interested and I jumped on the opportunity to get her into it. So I reactivated my EQII account and we started playing. She enjoyed it quite a bit and started learning what MMOs are all about. It worked out well for me. We ended up quiting EQII and started with World of Warcraft, then we moved to DAoC. Then we moved out of the house we were living in and she no longer had a computer that could run DAoC. I got bored with that game and starting looking for a game that would run on her laptop. I recently discovered that RF Online runs on her laptop and still looks damn good. So thats what we are playing now.

One thing to keep in mind is that your bf will most likely have a few friends in his guild and will have things that he does on a regular basis. He is most likely high level and when you start playing he will have to make a new character to play with you or power level you up and help you learn the game. In my case this wasn't an issue because I was reactivating my account to play with my gf so I wasn't set in a routine that was being interrupted. I don't want to discourage you but just keep that in mind. If your bf gets aggravated or appears to not be happy that you joined just be patient and let him realize what a wonderful woman he has lol
  • divinaredivinare Member Posts: 7

"wow cool staff thing"

You don’t sound patronizing or insincere.  I think you currently have a good frame of mind. It is just a cool staff looking thingy. Just be yourself.  If it gets to be more than just a cool staff thing to you, then I would start to worry.
  • shadowhackshadowhack Member Posts: 102
    lol u can create new characters toghther !

hope u enjoy DAOC
  • JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528
    Playing is probablly the best way.  Outside of that, actually ask him about what he is doing.  So what did your Blademaster do last night?  As for what you said, nothing wrong about that.  My wife always says things like that is a pretty cloak. 
    We're making my character and choosing everything tonight, he's also going to give me like a run-down of everything. I have been watching him play and asking questions (when he wasnt busy) and i have picked up alot of information. I'm going to get a feel for it myself tonight. O and i have Ventrilo so we can talk to each other. I am pretty excited!   :)     
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

We're making my character and choosing everything tonight, he's also going to give me like a run-down of everything. I have been watching him play and asking questions (when he wasnt busy) and i have picked up alot of information. I'm going to get a feel for it myself tonight. O and i have Ventrilo so we can talk to each other. I am pretty excited!   :)     
    Lol do u play in different houses?

It s like calling a person in the same room with a cellphone......................

• NHO3NHO3 Member Posts: 84
    Originally posted by ste2000

Lol do u play in different houses?

It s like calling a person in the same room with a cellphone...................... Lol me and girl often use in game chat even though we in the same house. Its the way of the future lol
  • JarloJarlo Member Posts: 221

I play COH with my 8 year old son and we use ventrilo so we don't have to shout room to room.

Your BF is pretty lucky, I have played MMO's since 1998 and been married since 1995 but can never get my wife to try em out.  AH well at least now my kids are old enough to play MMO's with me

• KeoghKeogh Member Posts: 1,099

To the Original Poster:

(Suggestions from a married man with grown kids ages 20 and 18.)

1. Buy the guide book for the game and read it.

2. Try playing it with him.

3. Don't worry about trying to relate to him in his MMO hobby, get your own hobby.

4. Find a boyfriend that would rather spend time with you than playing an MMO.

One thing concerns me about your boyfriend. You said that you are glad that the MMO seems to give him a sense of accomplishment. If playing an MMO is his sole source of accomplishment, sitting behind a computer monitor playing endless hours of an MMO could prevent him from ever accomplishing anything in the real world. Think about that.

"Don't corpse-camp that idea. Its never gonna rez"
    Bladezz (The Guild)

• montinmontin Member Posts: 218
    Not much you can say to a MMO player to show interest. The only way to show that interest is play the game. However dont play it just because your bg (or gf) does. Play it because you enjoy it. Of course realise it may take more than an hour or two before you start enjoying in. But and this is important, if you DO NOT enjoy playing a MMO then do not do so because of a bf (or gf). If you do it will create within you feelings of frustration leading on to resentment. It's better in that case to simply let them have and enjoy their time playing MMO whilst you do something you enjoy.  A relationship doesn't mean having to be togeather 24/7 and often such situations will result in breakup. You do however need to do something together to keep a releationship going and some rare cases bf and gf (or husband & wife) play MMos togeather. But this isn't the norm.

So my advice is. 1) Try the game. 2) Give it a few hours over a week and if you dont like it then simple tell your bf that it's his thing and not yours. 3) Let him play. 4) But do something else together at times (but realise that he may have things planned in game with others so be flexible). 5) Realise that a releationship is interaction with somebody you like (love) and also compromise. So if he doesn't show compromise and plays to much then simply leave him and find somebody else. There are a lot of nice men in the world, so dont put up with one that ignores you!

Good luck and I hope you have fun
  • AshGUTZAshGUTZ Member Posts: 339

Ooook, here is my two cents from a gamers' point of view. If I had a boyfriend, I wouldn't want him trying to play games with me for a few reasons. I play games to get AWAY from life, I want to prance around as a zombie shooting fireballs from my hands -- what makes you think I want someone i'm involved with along side me while I do this? It sounds like you are just a kid wanting to make something work that shouldn't. If you don't have the interest prior to meeting this guy and you ONLY become interested because you know he likes it, that's ridiculous.

I stumbled upon MMORPG's about 8 years ago, and no specific event inspired me to do so.

This i what you need to do, one - learn things for yourself do the research instead of us giving you advice on something that can pretty easily be figured out on your own time if you would take a minute to put two things together. Two, do not crowd him when he is gaming -- I was in a relationship for two years and on that two year one month mark I broke it off because he wanted to start gaming with me (a big NO-NO). Three, if you DO actually like games try to play your own character away from him, don't automatically jump in to "omg baby I will catch up and we can do super awesome PvP together!".

As far as learning gaming lingo and crap, it takes time. I could sit here and explain how WTS = Waiting/Wanting to Sell. How, LFG = Looking for Group. But, why should I make a dictionary for you? I took the time to learn on my own, and you should too. Put it this way, i've been playing WoW since Dwarves could be Mages and I STILL don't know everything about the game.

He may be the first reason i started to play, because i wouldnt have given a thought about it if i hadnt met him, but he has gotten me to try a lot of new things, techno, microwavable burritos, swimming at the beach at night....and more. Some i have liked and some i havent so it definetly seems worth a try, and hey it must be pretty good there seems to be tons of people playing. ive even found out some of my friends play and thats something i didnt know.
  • retye50retye50 Member UncommonPosts: 50

By looking at your profile I see your @ the ripe old age of adulthood........take the roleplaying to the bedroom

Thats sure to get his attention!!

• wiltaimwiltaim Member Posts: 11
    Ditch him  & find yourself a EU (Entropia Universe ) player 
  • CharlizdCharlizd Member UncommonPosts: 923
    All i can say is good on ya and good luck maybe you should have a chat with my wife and convince her to have a go
    Andrew "Charlizd" Phippen | Lead World Builder | The Saga of Lucimia MMORPG
  • kinglog123kinglog123 Member Posts: 50
    Haha, i wish i had a girlfriend as cool as you. All mine ever says is that she thinks games are stupid and she is always asking why i like them. I mention to her that she should try it but when she does, she plays for like 2 seconds and then pushes the keyboard or controller away and tells me its stupid. Although on the flip side im always trying things that she likes for example,  she drags me to  theater/plays, and although i hate them and usually end up falling asleep, i still try it because i know thats what she is interested in.

I just give you props for trying to learn and play a game your boyfriend likes
  • AshGUTZAshGUTZ Member Posts: 339
    Originally posted by kinglog123

Oh please.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Originally posted by kinglog123

Haha, i wish i had a girlfriend as cool as you. All mine ever says is that she thinks games are stupid and she is always asking why i like them. I mention to her that she should try it but when she does, she plays for like 2 seconds and then pushes the keyboard or controller away and tells me its stupid. Although on the flip side im always trying things that she likes for example,  she drags me to  theater/plays, and although i hate them and usually end up falling asleep, i still try it because i know thats what she is interested in.

Story of my life with regards to my wife and gaming.  She hates it without really giving it a chance, and at the same time, expects me to do anything (yes, we do theater, just saw Wicked) she dreams up and I'm supposed to support her and love it.  Guess it runs in their genes or something.

I envy the couples I've met that can game together, they seem to have a pretty good time sharing the same interest.......

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon