Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Questions for any Duel-Boxers

PraorPraor Member Posts: 519

Recently just bought a new pc and due to family issues been away from the Mmo sceen. Anyways looking to get back into Lin2 and going to try Duel Boxing on one Pc.

Anyone recommend a good combo ?  

Also is better to split the windows or just have them overlap and use alt-tab ?

Just for the sake of it here are my specs

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor  4300 @ 1.80 GHZ

Ati Radeon X1300  512 mb  Pci Express

3 gigs memory DDR2 

320 GB Sata 2  Hard drive

650 watt BFG power supply

High speed cable internet

Windows Vista

Waiting on Guild Wars 2

Comments

• PhixenPhixen Member Posts: 10

Overlap. I guess your second char will be buffer anyways so youll only need to alt-tab once in a while.

Better to have a big screen the split it up imo.

Rest of your comp specs look fine, shouldnt be a problem dualboxing.

Remember to adjust your graphics settings to get maximum perfomance.

• MadodeMadode Member Posts: 58

I dual-box in Lin2. I use two clients in windowed mode.  I leave my buffer in the secondary window and have her follow the primary character.  I put the buffer window in the upper left corner and the primary in the lower right corner.  This allows me to track her xp.  One weird thing is the secondary window appears to be limited to slideshow quality.  Also, where I see my secondary when looking around in the primary window is where the character "should" be.  But when I left click back to the secondary window the secondary character is actually a few feet back.  If I double click the ground near the primary character the second moves in Fast Forward to get to it's intended location.  Other than that, and trying to make sure I give the secondary enough lead time to move around corners in catacombs, everything works pretty well.

My system:

C2D e6300, 8800 GTS 320, High Speed DSL (8Mb), 160G HD with 8M Cache (SCSI), WinXPSP2

One other note.  The awesome people who spend their game time cleaning up Bots from the Catacombs, tend to see my secondary character and think it's a left-over bot.  So if I see a red named character I always send a tell or general chat letting them know I'm dual boxing.

Have Fun!

Mado

• isurusisurus Member Posts: 396
    I recommend setting up your old computer and running your 2box on that.  L2 has pretty low system requirements and at lower detail mode (press P), it will run on pretty much anything.  Throw in macros and 2boxing is a piece of cake. 

I play a WS and 2box a SE.  Considering that my SE has about 60% of the DPS of my WS, i would be a fool not to have her assist in combat.  And if i had to switch between windows for every mob i would go crazy.

But i guess if you are doing the nuker or archer thing then it's a little easier.  Just buff every 20 minutes with a recharge every 5-10?

/edit Just as an FYI, you can go into Options.ini (system folder) and specify any resolution you want. 

• PraorPraor Member Posts: 519

Actually I destroyed my old tower after a session of WoW ( lol ). So had to buy one quick,  Anywho I'm still debating on the 2 class's,I could use help on that as well. I guess Spellhowler and Shillen Elder would be the easy mode. But I wanna make sure before I resub.

Thxs for the reply's

Waiting on Guild Wars 2

• isurusisurus Member Posts: 396

Well since you will be alt tabbing between two windows, your options are kind of limited as far as putting together an efficient 2box without botting.  You should look for a decent duo that requires minimum maintenance/interferance from your support class.  First thing that comes to mind are the ranged classes; nukers and archers. 

For Nukers you probably want to avoid Spellsingers as they drain their mana pool extremely fast, therefore requiring constant recharges.  Same for Sorcerers, but they are a gimp class and shouldn't be played in the first place.  Spellhowlers and Necros get B2M, so they can go a long while before you have to alt tab for MP.  Spellhowlers have the highest Matk (least nukes per mob) so they are the obvious choice but Necros aren't far off and are arguably much better for PVP. 

For archers i would go WC, but also look at Prophets and SE.  You will lose DPS going with an SE at 58+ (no Greater Might), but their recharges and heals might make up for it with less downtime.  You get both offense and (in particular) defense buffs from Prophets.  But like i said, if i were 2boxing an archer i would definitely go WC.  Buy Greater Speed pots for WW2, enjoy the orc version of agility, then strap in and brace yourself for the grind to 78.  COV is worth it. 

Now you can do all that with melee classes, but ranged classes kill mobs significantly faster, and you won't have to alt tab over for heals nearly as often (ranged classes avoid damage).