Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a name of a specific type of knife

SerienSerien Member CommonPosts: 8,460
I hunt. A lot.

I've always used a Gerber, fold out mainly, if not, fixed blade.

Recently I have had a bad experience with fold out knives and I was wondering if anyone knew what the proper name for the knives that "pop out" when you press a button was?

It would be of great help.

Ask questions if it's not clear enough.

Thanks in advance,

Murt

Comments

• xxthecorexxxxthecorexx Member Posts: 1,078
    stiletto ? *yes*

and aren't those illegal ? *yes*

*edit*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switchblade

• SerienSerien Member CommonPosts: 8,460
    thanks for the quick response, I looked this up:

Florida
    • Summary: A "common pocketknife" is OK. All "concealed weapons" (knives included) require a license.
    • Max length: None apparent.
    • Relevant laws: Chapter 790
    since I use the knife to hunt ONLY then I don't think I'll have a problem getting a license, heck, I already own 4 firearms.
  • seabass2003seabass2003 Member Posts: 4,144

One that pops out when you press a button? Hmm maybe a switch-blade?

I hunt a bit myself and I use a Schrade Blade. It doesn't flick out but you can open it.

http://www.google.com/products?q=schrade+blade&hl=en&rlz=1T4GGIH_enUS225US225&um=1&sa=X&oi=froogle&ct=title

In America I have bad teeth. If I lived in England my teeth would be perfect.

• Are you talking about a spring-action knife, or just one that has a lock on it, that you unlock by pressing a button and allow the blade to slide out via gravity or its own weight?

The broad classification for the former is switchblade, and the later I believe is gravity knife. Unless you're talking about something more specific.

I personally prefer the old butterfly knife, but I'm not even sure if they're legal around here. Not sure how useful for hunting it'd be, either.
  • InfernalSoulInfernalSoul Member Posts: 35
    Get a fixed blade K-Bar knife. It's just the perfect thing to go hunting with than when the hunt is over you can go diving with it, surface in the water 300m  off shore utilizing the combat side stroke and do a box-recon of the beach head...you could figure out the perfect LZ for landing zodiaks with that knife because it will help in your hydro survey.....
  • FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870

Originally posted by Serien

heck, I already own 4 firearms.

Ok, now your scaring me Murt.
  • seabass2003seabass2003 Member Posts: 4,144
    But the best knife I own I bought in Italy, not sure the name of it but it has a brass knuckle grip so you can either punch someone or when you stick them in the gut your hand doesn't slide up the blade if you hit a rib. It's a pretty heavy knife though so the force and mass would actually probably break through the rib.

In America I have bad teeth. If I lived in England my teeth would be perfect.

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857
    Originally posted by Serien

thanks for the quick response, I looked this up:

Florida

Summary: A "common pocketknife" is OK. All "concealed weapons" (knives included) require a license.
    Max length: None apparent.
    Relevant laws: Chapter 790

since I use the knife to hunt ONLY then I don't think I'll have a problem getting a license, heck, I already own 4 firearms.

Bit of an amendment to this:

In most states, folding knives are exempt from the concealed weapons rule so long as the length of the blade does not exceed 2-3 inches depending on where you look.

And yes, switchblade is the common term for the kind of knife mentioned in the OP. A Stiletto on the other hand is a particularly thin variant of fixed blade knives, originally used for stabbing through chainmail and weakpoints in other kinds of armor, later adapted to use in espionage, particularly assassination.

and if your "bad experience" was in terms of safety, I would NOT reccomend a switchblade of any kind. The things were primarily outlawed in many places simply because the things are dangerous to the users and those around them.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• pyrofreakpyrofreak Member UncommonPosts: 1,481
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/DBA860-63441-1259.html

All the knife you'll ever need. I love mine.

Now with 57.3% more flames!

• SkollSkoll Member Posts: 442
    The best dagger ever; clicky.

Seriously though, why a switchblade? Id rather get a bowie, or a buck.

I wanna get this though; http://www.knifeoutlet.com/shop/.
  • BackwoodsportsBackwoodsports Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    This site has quite a good collection of knives.
    https://backwoodsports.com/collections/knives
  • Thrashe1rThrashe1r Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    A Stiletto then again is an especially meager variation of fixed sharp edge blades, initially utilized for cutting through chain mail and weak points in different sorts of reinforcement, later adjusted to use in secret activities, especially death UPSers.
  • MoreJoosteMoreJooste Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    Tried a lot of skinner knives but none works well like shard blades damascus skinners