Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ultima Online

I am need of a game to play while I wait for Warhammer. I have never played UO and I realize its age, but everything about it really interests me. My question to you all is, how hard is it for a new player to get into? is it a ghostland now or does it still live?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• xxthecorexxxxthecorexx Member Posts: 1,078
    considering they either have or are soon rehauling the graphics of this game, i think some new people will prolly be trying it out and it'll prolly attract some old veteran players as well.

• Shadow4482Shadow4482 Member Posts: 230
    Anyone else?
  • IndemnityIndemnity Member Posts: 16
    They already have the new graphics engine up and running for the game.  I looked at getting into this as well because I was bored but after reviewing the screenshots of the game and seeing it's gameplay in videos I didn't think I'd have fun.
  • StromgardStromgard Member Posts: 31

I still have my UO account active after 9 years, but I really only log in to restock my vendors.  Once in a while, I will have a spurt of play doing something like fishing until the next beta/release of interest comes along.  Since you did not mention what, if any MMO's you have previously played, I am reluctant to offer specic comments.  Chances are playing UO will be a different experience for you, which may be good or bad.

If you are hung up on graphics, then this is likely NOT the game for you.  I have kept an eye on the Kingdom Reborn expansion with the graphics overhaul and the screenies leave me underwhelmed.  However, graphics are a low priority for me personally, as long as we are not talking stick figures.

There are many side things to do in the game such as T-maps, growing plants, completing BOD's for rewards, etc.  The one area I enjoy the most is fishing and the activities associated with that including MIB's (messages in a bottle) and special nets.  However, some people compare fishing in UO the equivalent of watching paint dry, and I can understand that sentiment.  I have an abundance of patience.

If you are hung up on having the best loot, then be prepared to devote lots of time and effort obtaining it, or you better have a really fat wallet in real life.  Personally, I am not obssessed with having the best stuff there is and concentrate on having fun. 

If you are bored and have nothing else to try and might be worth a shot.  However, after the release of AoS I quit recommending the game to my friends.  For me, there is enough of a variety of things to do along with opportunities where I need something to do that keeps me subscribed. 

• StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491
    The game is not appealing to new players.  You will struggle because most UO players have been there for a long time.  I'm a vet and I tried to get back into it and it was extremely difficult.
  • only thing that needs to be said, electronic arts

• LilianeLiliane Member Posts: 591
    UO is great game, but it's very old style. I don't think todays players will like it.

It does how ever have many stuff what doesn't even be in many todays games.

Like example ability grow plants, decorate houses, real skill system.

MMORPG.COM has worst forum editor ever exists

• ianubisiianubisi Member Posts: 4,201

If you have an expectation to compete with other players then your chances are very slim. If you are willing to explore and take the game at face value then there is plenty a new player can do.

If you plan to compete, expect to need to invest upwards of 6 months of time into the development of multiple characters. Keep in mind, competition can mean many things...the race to the most valuable treasure, the best PVPer, the best faction builder, and so on.

It's a fun game, but I don't know if it works for new players. I've played it off and on since 1998 so a lot of what I enjoy about the game is nostalgia, but even though it's nostalgia I do enjoy playing the new content and doing new things today.