Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

first DX10 game is out

bhugbhug Member UncommonPosts: 944

Today's Company of Heroes (CoH) patch 1.7 supports the (Vista only) DX10 API (Application Programming Interface/source code interface) link

"CoH 1.7 brings support for "per pixel" lighting for all objects inside the game, four simultaneous lights with shadows thanks to Render-to-Cubemap and Geometry Shaders. Additional effects include soft particles and particle effects blending, grass is now short volumetric (DX10-instanced terrain shells), normal map compression is now on, foliage and ambient objects are now DX10-instanced.

If you want to see DX10 in action with this first-gen title, head over to ATi, you need to use latest Catalyst drivers (7.5), while for Nvidia cards you should download 158.45, a beta driver located on Nzone ."

Direct X 9c download. (directx_apr2007_redist.exe 49MB)

DX archive
Direct X homepage

Comments

• MasakariosMasakarios Member Posts: 9

Sounds like more money needed to get both Vista and a new G8 graphics card. Don't think I'll bother just yet.

Masakari Out.

• LatinaLatina Member Posts: 53
    Speaking of Vista, I just bought a Windows Vista yesterday. A 500 GB RAM and a 2.0 GB memory. (:

How nice, huh?
  • theanimedudetheanimedude Member UncommonPosts: 1,610

Originally posted by Latina
    Speaking of Vista, I just bought a Windows Vista yesterday. A 500 GB RAM and a 2.0 GB memory. (:How nice, huh?

I think you meant to say a 500gb HDD and 2.0gb of RAM.

Frankly, numbers mean nothing, it's clock speeds and types that matter, but I don't expect most people to understand how it all works.

Plain and simple, you could have 4x the memory I have, and I would still be running things better with my clock synching on all my hardware. It's worth a look into, if you really want to make your computer efficiently fast, and not just overly large.

Also, I don't understand all this 'vista only' push they're doing right now. Shadowrun is now Vista Only because of DX10 as well. I think Microsoft is expecting too many people to push to vista, too fast. They should first fix it up, before they expect us to jump on the bandwagon. They're like a half-finished MMO developer, except they're pretty much PUSHING us into using their half-finished software. Seems kind of like a moneygrab to me =/

• AshGUTZAshGUTZ Member Posts: 339

Speaking of Vista, I just bought a Windows Vista yesterday. A 500 GB RAM and a 2.0 GB memory. (:

How nice, huh?

Oh man, I don't suggest Vista. I really really loved the look and feel of it at first, but it is literally a hit or miss OS. My printer took 30 minutes to install, then I can't use my all-in-one functions because the old disk that came with it is not compatible with Vista. Then the Vista drivers that are provided do not include the scanning and faxing features, and there are none available yet. I'll be going back to XP soon.

Yah, I'm not a computer professional. I know nothing about computers and when the salesman was explaining it, I was zoning out. xD

Also, at the computer store, ALL the computers were Vista. JUST vista, nothing else. Kinda sucked. =/

Pssst, by the way, mind telling me your ways on how to make your computer run faster? =D

@Ash: Wait, how would you go back to XP? o.o I'm not near a computer store where they still sell any XP's. =/
  • AshGUTZAshGUTZ Member Posts: 339

Yah, I'm not a computer professional. I know nothing about computers and when the salesman was explaining it, I was zoning out. xD

Also, at the computer store, ALL the computers were Vista. JUST vista, nothing else. Kinda sucked. =/

Pssst, by the way, mind telling me your ways on how to make your computer run faster? =D

Well, my specs arn't amazing. It's the basic specs for a Dell XPS 400 (it was a gift), all I did was upped it to 69.7 Gigs storage on the C drive. The graphics card provided blows, but if i'm going to upgrade it and have to get a new motherboard as well I rather just get a new computer.. which I am.

They still sell XP's, at alot of places.. Best Buy is where I got mine from.

I don't know where Best Buy is. .___.

One thing is, I have a very, very, I mean oh gawd deadly very poor sense of direction. :[
  • ShinzouShinzou Member Posts: 34
    Originally posted by theanimedude

Also, I don't understand all this 'vista only' push they're doing right now. Shadowrun is now Vista Only because of DX10 as well. I think Microsoft is expecting too many people to push to vista, too fast. They should first fix it up, before they expect us to jump on the bandwagon. They're like a half-finished MMO developer, except they're pretty much PUSHING us into using their half-finished software. Seems kind of like a moneygrab to me =/
    It's not really half-finished. The third-party support just isn't there yet. Don't know why people keep blaming Microsoft when their programs don't work with vista. It is the job of the software devs of that program to make it compatible, not Microsoft.

It is like getting mad at Dell when your router fails.

About them making everything Vista only.. I tend to agree. Way too many people still use XP and will be using XP for years to come, because the hardware does not demand the switch. MS should make DX10 for both Vista and XP.. unless there is something in the XP code that makes it completely incompatible. If they don't make a change with DX10, I don't see a huge amount of games using only DX10. Mainly because the market just isn't large enough yet. I remember reading somewhere that Vista owners won't out-number XP owners for another 10 years.

Games like Age of Conan which can use either DX9 or DX10 are the way to go. That way everyone can enjoy it.

Also many places are starting to sell XP again with vista, instead of just Vista. Dell used to sell only vista.. now they sell both because a lot of customers complained.
  • theanimedudetheanimedude Member UncommonPosts: 1,610

Originally posted by Shinzou
    It's not really half-finished. The third-party support just isn't there yet. Don't know why people keep blaming Microsoft when their programs don't work with vista. It is the job of the software devs of that program to make it compatible, not Microsoft.

Well, yes, and no.

See, with WinXP, they said 'were getting rid of the old way of doing things, NT is the way to go, yo-ho we're microsoft, ladada. Still, they kept a mass of support for old software.

Now, they're all like 64-bit is the way to go, no support for you, eat it.

It's the same kind of attitude, except with XP they kept a way to run compatibility for older software, because they knew that some things just wouldn't get a fix. Now, they are basically shoving it on us, and then saying 'now that we've pretty much forced you to get this because of the need to run new software, know that EVERYTHING you had before this, is now obsolete. Have a nice day.'