Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking of Playing Again.. Questions

thacothaco Member Posts: 2
I played EQ2 at launch and hated it.  Specifically, 2 big gripes.

1) Locked Combat, not being able to help people by healing them or helping them kill a mob seemed silly to me.

2) Zoning and instanced zones, i like the world to be as seamless as possible.

Have have these issues changed since launch? AND

What other improvements has the game seen since launch?

Thanks, I am very interested in coming back.

Comments

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Originally posted by thaco

I played EQ2 at launch and hated it.  Specifically, 2 big gripes.

1) Locked Combat, not being able to help people by healing them or helping them kill a mob seemed silly to me.

You can heal players, rez them or help them fight without being in a group.  If you cant they have requested you to be locked out

2) Zoning and instanced zones, i like the world to be as seamless as possible.

Have have these issues changed since launch? AND

still zones :)

What other improvements has the game seen since launch?

Thanks, I am very interested in coming back.

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870

1. Combat locking is now optional.

2. EQ2 will never be seamless.  Its always going to have zones.

• eugameugam Member UncommonPosts: 984
    Originally posted by Flem

Wait... Of course there will be always zones. But EQ2 is moving on. With faydwer there are now bigger zones.

If you read the interviews with Scott Hartsmann you know that they plan super zones in Kurnak. With super he means zones the size of all classic EQ2 zones in one zone. Yes, there still will be zones, but not that much at all.
  • v4mp1r3v4mp1r3 Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by eugam

Originally posted by Flem

Wait... Of course there will be always zones. But EQ2 is moving on. With faydwer there are now bigger zones.

If you read the interviews with Scott Hartsmann you know that they plan super zones in Kurnak. With super he means zones the size of all classic EQ2 zones in one zone. Yes, there still will be zones, but not that much at all. Oh that's good, that was my only quarrel with Trial of the Isle really.

But I've heard trial of the isle is some of the shittiest examples of EQ2 nowadays, it's gotten much better from what I've heard.
  • bahamut1bahamut1 Member Posts: 614

I never really understood the complaint about zones. Breaks immersion... maybe, slows gameplay... not really, frustrating... ummm, no. You have to zone into instances in all the other games, except Vanguard where they're... guess what, adding instances. I even play Half Life 2 which has won awards and is game of the year on several gamesites has zones. All FPS shooters I've ever played has zones. Every single player RPG has zones. Seriously, even the so-called seamless games really have zones, they're just hidden. There really isn't a seamless game as it's impossibe for a home computer with up to 4g of ram to load a whole world.

EQ2 had the choice of overlapping zones, like WoW, or zone borders like they have now. Considering the intensity of the graphics and detail, I truly believe they went the right route. If WoW had the graphical intensity of EQ2 it would obviously run like Vanguard, because home computers just do not have the memory and processing power to hold that much information. I'm happy for the zones, even though I wish the possibility of seamless worlds could be achieved. Maybe in 2020 when we have terrabyte machines, but until then, if I want the detail that I really like in a game, I'll definitely put up with the zones.

Anyways, on a 2g machine, the zones take 10 sec or less to load. Not that big of a deal, and you would spend at least that much time or more traversing over an area that was "filler" for transition to the next zone anyways. Plus, as a game gets older and more and more different types of travel, mainly porting, gets into a game, you're loading to the next area most of the time anyways. So whether you're loading in one game or another, it's just the same. My current UI allows me to still listen and talk and receive invites during loading anyways, so I'm not missing much.

"Granted thinking for yourself could be considered a timesink of shorter or longer duration depending on how smart..or how dumb you are."

• deplorabledeplorable Member Posts: 418

the only "zoning" i hate are the old cities [Qyenos and Freeport, a chore to get from one end to the other when you have quests dotted around the city)... at least the 2 new ones (fae and emo fae [what? lol]) are just large cities without the need of "zoning"

although with Neriak there is a zoning teleport function since it is pretty large

• ArremusArremus Member Posts: 656

Emo Fae HAHAHA! What, do they get blunt razor blades to pretend cutting themselves with to get attention from other races?

I'm with Bahamut1 in regards to the zoning. Apart from getting around the inner city, I just don't see the complaint about zones. People make out as though the only game you ever have to zone in is EQ2, when EVEN WOW has freaking zones.

And even the zones in the city aren't a real hassle. I mean, shit, you have to look at a loading screen for 5 seconds. Life. Has just. Ended.

But yeah, that Emo Fae thing. Funny stuff!

"(The) Iraqi people owe the American people a huge debt of gratitude." - George W Bush.
    Oh. My. God.