Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Military drafts?

2»

Comments

• malak118malak118 Member Posts: 221
    Originally posted by gpett

Originally posted by Aelfinn

There is no military training whatsoever that cannot be applied elsewhere in life. If every teenager physically able to survive the course were required to go through boot camp or a similar program upon reaching adulthood, this country would be much better overall within the space of a single generation. The same may or may not be true for active service. War makes most who survive it stronger, physically and mentally, but does leave psychiactric... scars for lack of a better term
    We need less people going through the "reeducation " and "brainwashing" process that happens during bootcamp.

You have to admit the whole idea behind bootcamp is to strip people of their ideas and thoughts while replacing those thoughts with a notion of a higher authority.  I believe that is wrong.  The military mindset is counterproductive to a sucesfull society.  Each individual should look to themselves for the answers to what is right or wrong.  The military only instills a system of subjugation to authority.  That is the exact opposite to what this country needs. To tell you the truth Ive had about a dozen friends and acquaintances  join the military of varying  branches. The real brainwashing starts with the recruitment. I would head to class and these guys were saying all kinds of things along the lines of, " ill be better than any civilian. Only the best food for troops in the military. No taxes here and room and board are provided yep the good life." After boot camp these kids would return real proud and fit. Then after they served time doing regular service they completely hated the rest of the way. Not sure if bootcamp is such brainwashing but more needed conditioning for military service. I agree a person needs to put themselves aside for the team and take orders. Without strict disipline the army fails. A strong individual such as yourself gpett ,and I would put myself in the same catagory, would have a tough time in that environment. That is why I like the idea of voluntary service.

Now if there was a mandatory session I would be all for a more educational approach. Such as basic weapon training and field tactics. First aid and cpr training more intense than a plastic upper torso. Include some wilderness survival and urban combat. These skills would be valuable to everyone. Of course that idea doesnt sit well with the government im sure. Last thing they want is a population that can defend itself. That is the only reason I like some type of service maybe from 6 months to a year nothing too long. I also think it would help lessen the need for gung ho and shady recruitment. Some individuals may decide through that training to join up.

Dont like to force anyone to do anything but, really if you think about it we get forced into things all the time. You need to be licensed to drive a car, go hunting, own and carry a handgun, practice medicine, build on your own land, etc etc .... 

continue this has been a great discussion.
  • defenestratedefenestrate Member CommonPosts: 578
    The thing is, is that the Drill Sergeants are usually the cream of the crop, thats why they make the soldiers/marines/airmen. And basic trainign is so full of discipline and schedules and your constantly doing physical training and learning all this cool military stuff. Then you go out into the real military after basic and its a culture shock. Some duty stations still have a a bunch of discipline instilled, those are mostly the light units ( Fort Bragg, Drum and so on .) Of course even in these units you have some break down of discipline but its more rare. I know when I got into the regular army world I was surrounded by people who could never make it in the outside world. If they had to work a regular job they would be fired the very first day they got their. Thats why there is alot of crap in the military too, they dont police their own well enough. The best thing would be if the regular army/marines/navy/air force was just like basic training, except that you could go out when the days done.

So yeah there are some douchebags in the military, and there are hard luck stories, and some pretty damn proud people.
  • Cabe2323Cabe2323 Member Posts: 2,939

I personally think Military Service should be a requirement for any government job.  I don't care if everyone doesn't want to serve, but if you are going to be in a position to send people to war, you should of served at some point yourself.

I wouldn't want 100% mandatory service though.  There is nothing worse then not knowing if you can trust that person beside you.  If the ship is sinking and we are fighting a fire I need to know that person next to me is doing the right thing.

Currently playing:
    LOTRO & WoW (not much WoW though because Mines of Moria rocks!!!!)

Looking Foward too:
    Bioware games (Dragon Age & Star Wars The Old Republic)

• Swafdawg23Swafdawg23 Member Posts: 390
    i think everyone thats physically able, should be required to serve atleast a year in the military.

gamertag - Swaffle House

• NierroNierro Member UncommonPosts: 1,755
    If I were to make a country, i'd make military services (including manufacturing all war machines and such) mandatory during war times. Except children and elderly.

• lolatswgvetslolatswgvets Member Posts: 18
    The great thing about drafts today is that it really would not make much difference, you see with a draft the rich and the ones in power can still protect their families from being in the line of fire while the poor and middle class continue to die for their right to do so. Kind of sounds shitty when worded like that don’t it; I guess reality really is a bitch LMAO.