Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much time?

Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586
I'm slowly reaching a concrete number of hours that constitute my own tolerance for gaming. I haven't really taken into consideration what my tolerance per gaming session is. Per session is largely based on the game anyway.

Why am I bothering with charting the min / max ratio of time devoted to one type of game to the satisfaction I feel? It's because most single player games have become boring time sinks. This is very pronounced in MMORPGs.

However, I realize that my personal tolerance is not everyones, so I'm going to post a couple of polls to try and find the median tolerance of people on this site.

Poll #1

Comments

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586
    Poll #2

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    I find my tolerance to drop as the years go by.  I used to play a lot more then I do now.  I probably spend more time on message boards talking about games now then playing them.  If I take a week or two off from playing at all that seems to help a lot.
  • tunabuntunabun Member UncommonPosts: 666
    Um, jimmy, what if I play 56-59 weekly or 9 hours per session.

Just sayin`......................

- Burying Threads Since 1979 -

Originally posted by tunabun

Just sayin`......................

Yeah, I knew that was a flaw when I made the poll, but I any other way would have introduced overlap. Just round up or down, I guess.

Originally posted by Jimmy_Scythe

Yeah, I knew that was a flaw when I made the poll, but I any other way would have introduced overlap. Just round up or down, I guess.
    Yeah, just buggin you.  I hate that you can`t re-edit the polls, cmon MMORPG, get with the times.

I`m actually a Zero on both polls, designing my on MMORPG is enough entertainment daily for me.

• Publish6246Publish6246 Member Posts: 346

Whenever i played i would just play 2 hours a night because with work and that you can't really dedicate alot of time. I used to play ALOT more but that was when i was at college and didn't need to work cause lived with mum.

However now i don't play anything...

-----------------------------

SWG - PrePub9 Jedi mastered all professions - June 26th 2003 > Nov 15th 2005
    EVE Online - 24 million SP - May 6th 2003 > Early 2005
    PlanetSide - BR20 CR5 - May 23rd 2003 > Sept 2003

• bonobotheorybonobotheory Member UncommonPosts: 1,007
    Originally posted by tunabun

Then you're slacking. Play a few more hours a day, and bump yourself up into the top bracket.
    The biggest question would be how many hours do you normally put into an MMORPG before you're totally bored with it? This would vary from game to game and gamer to gamer, but would still be pretty valuable to know.

Problem is that no one charts their MMORPG time like that so it would all be vague estimates.

Originally posted by Jimmy_Scythe

The biggest question would be how many hours do you normally put into an MMORPG before you're totally bored with it? This would vary from game to game and gamer to gamer, but would still be pretty valuable to know.

Problem is that no one charts their MMORPG time like that so it would all be vague estimates.
    Well, for myself, I play a game until it isn`t that fun anymore.  During my most addictive game playing phase I played a tactical shooter called Soldner, 8-14 hours a day, 7 days a week for about 6 months.  Thats over 1800 hours in 6 months.  I would have continued to play if they didn`t change and hence, destroy the gameplay.  This is pretty much how I am with any game, I`ll play it until change occurs, or I would have in the past. 

I should say, the wrong kind of change, but anyway, I think that this sample might not be the best as most of us here aren`t so much the "casual" types, and we know now who rules the market.

• JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642
     Maybe the next question you should ask if the MMO players have a sex partner.

Unaware of the Jestor?
    http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

• AshGUTZAshGUTZ Member Posts: 339

I fall into that third category.

I think it's only as bad as it is right now though because I don't have to have a job until 4 weeks from now, and i'm re-locating from FL to CA, so I don't have to do crap really. :] Just sitting around, playing MMORPG's, not that I didn't do that before I was told I could drop my job. You're right though, I definatly don't have a social life. Half the time I watch my phone ring, and close out of AIM's almost instantly without reading them.

• aspalmataspalmat Member Posts: 51
    Originally posted by Flyte27

I find my tolerance to drop as the years go by.  I used to play a lot more then I do now.  I probably spend more time on message boards talking about games now then playing them.  If I take a week or two off from playing at all that seems to help a lot.
    Pretty much sums it up for me too.
  • bluecbbluecb Member Posts: 8
    it's funny, your comment made me realize that when i was single, i played alot more games, now that i have a girlfriend, my weekends are usually spent with her or with friends. I guess it doesn't help that i got a car and a job.
  • DemDemDemDemDemDem Member Posts: 160
    Erm interesting topic really.

If I have nothing to do, i'll log on an MMORPG.If I get bored or frustrated, FPS. I sleep, eat, play football and ATM taking exams but we have 2 weeks with no exams so really here is my day in weekdays for past week:

Wake up: 8:00 am

Shower: 8:10 am

Eat: 8:30 am

T.V: 10:00 am

Football: 1:00 pm

Games: 1:00 am

lol, not a very entertaining life but that is 3 or 4 days a week, then it gets filled up with Cinema, drinking or partying while drinking.

Edit: Before I get the "geek" for playing 12 hours obviously that isn't really how long I play but you get the idea, the majority of my time is games/sleep.

Bump

Just so I can get some votes from the gamers across the pond.

This discussion has been closed.