Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New to Dark Age of Camelot

HadesPvPHadesPvP Member Posts: 33
Hey guys I decided to try out DAoC and I'm having trouble picking a server. I definitely want to be involved in PvP at some point. Is there some reason to choose a classic server over the normal servers?

Comments

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528
    Originally posted by HadesPvP

Hey guys I decided to try out DAoC and I'm having trouble picking a server. I definitely want to be involved in PvP at some point. Is there some reason to choose a classic server over the normal servers?
    Not really.  Servers are now grouped together and share all of the zones outside of housing.  So while you server might have 250 people on it, the cluster of servers might have 1500.  So there is little issues with population for PvE or RvR. 

Classic servers has restrictions of the distance buffs work, not ToA expansion, and no toon free at level 20.  ToA is not an issue anymore and restrictions of buffs have addressed some of the issues with buff bots they still exist and are used.  The only thing that might count as a benefit are there will be more people playing toons below level 20 and if you play at odd hours then Classic has a larger population 24/7.

But if you play anytime from 5p-2a then there is no reason to not play on the regular servers. 
  • Stith16Stith16 Member Posts: 113
      I forgot about the classic servers =P.  Those are great because there is less junk you have to worry about when it comes to pve.  Ive never tried the pvp servers if there are still some.  But its open pvp everywhere and you can cross into each others realm if you like.  Role playing you can cross realms and guild with other races and such.

• query0102query0102 Member Posts: 57

Start on the Classic servers cluster mainly because there is no /level there and everyone has to start from level 1 their characters thus you will encounter plenty-o people that you could group with. Also the starter guilds (midgard's ive experienced lately) are very healthy and people will give advice to new comers, tips on quests, exp, basicly anything that might cross your mind regarding the game.

Another close second reason to the no /level one (where people that already have a 50 can /level a char directly to level 20 - on every server but the classic ones) is the fact that there are limitations to the buffbot-issue, so you won't always face people fully buffed when pvping, not via buffbots (second account character focused on buffing spec) but via potions which are available to all and give a medium increase in stats as oposed to the close to cap ammount given by equal level bots = fights will be more even.

To sum it up: Classic severs provide a better experience for those new to the game.

Enjoy

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528
    With the lack of PvE content on the classic servers you will find people even more into RvR.  This means that chances of doing cool PvE things is less on the classic servers and you are more likely to sit in an old camp site with obsolete loot tables killing the same mobs over and over in a group.

Further, since the best armor on the classic servers is crafted, you will need to spend a lot of time farming for gold.  This is much harder if you do not have ToA. 

Third, if you play a caster you will want to be on the regular servers.  Not only can you move away from the group healer and maintain your buffs, there are these wonderful things you can get in ToA called powerfonts.  This will allow you to regen your power much quicker so you won't need to sit down and rest all of the time. 

While there are more people below level 20, this does not mean there are none on the regular servers.  Nor does it mean that just because there are people you will get into groups.  Soloing is so easy and rewarding that many people on every type of server skip groups at those low levels because it is a lot quicker to do it solo.
  • Havoc-PKHavoc-PK Member Posts: 118
    Originally posted by Stith16

I forgot about the classic servers =P.  Those are great because there is less junk you have to worry about when it comes to pve.  Ive never tried the pvp servers if there are still some.  But its open pvp everywhere and you can cross into each others realm if you like.  Role playing you can cross realms and guild with other races and such.
    As great as it sounds, starting cities are constant battlegrounds and zone-lines are always camped. The population is very well established, so unless if you've got some friends to pick you up, your progress will just be snails pace....unless if you're going to be using a buff-bot (because 7/10 of the server has one), then you're good to go!