Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer "Just another WoW" why is this such a bad thing

2»

Comments

• tikitiki Member Posts: 395
    Originally posted by Publish6246

Anyways isn't RVR just a term for Faction vs Faction that Mythic wants you to seem is new when it's not? lol.....

thats pretty ignorant...

they arnt trying to say RVR is new they are saying how its being done is new where 50% or more of ur lvling time is spend killing other players.  Also they are making it the first game to have truely meaningful pvp, DAOC has been the closest to meaningful pvp but it wasnt all there but they will do it with warhammer

East Carolina University, Computer Science BS, 2011
    --------------------
    Current game: DAOC

Games played and quit: L2, PlanetSide, RF Online, GuildWars, SWG, COH/COV, Vanguard, LOTRO, WoW, WW2 Online, FFXI, Auto-Assault, EVE Online, ShadowBane, RYL, Rappelz, Last Chaos, Myst Online, POTBS, EQ2, Warhammer Online, AoC, Aion, Champions Online, Star Trek Online, Allods, Darkfall.

Waiting on: Earthrise

Names: Citio, Goldie, Sportacus

• turnipzturnipz Member Posts: 531
    EA is a scummy company as people have said, not only should you not play their game you should find some way to cost them money so they eventually die off.  Also auto attack is lame and that is why "another wow" is lame, its what makes age of conan great in comparison.
  • COAgamerCOAgamer Member Posts: 190
    Yep, WAR is just another wow. Its just like every other game on the market so no need for any of you to actully try it or play it.

(Do any of you other War fans out there think that worked? Are they gone?)

Modjoe86- Gambling is a sin.
    Laserwolf- Only if you lose.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Waiting for= PSU, WAR

• LemacsLemacs Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Originally posted by Martie

Your aids analogy is a bloody joke, and dont start bringing up every single analogy out there.
    Let me show u some links to exactly how war is looking like wow, but imo more advanced now with new tools.  Imo this is a very good thing because it looks very cool indeed
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atHQHAhMByY                Part 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95DJZD4F3GY&mode=related&search=              part 2

Anyone that thinks wow ,and warhammer do not look alike has their bloody head in the sand.  Obviusly there are some changes, but essentially they use the same sort of art style through the world and for the ui.  Like i sad before this is a good thibng imo, even the charcater rigs and animations looks very good.

You gave an example so I will give one to prove you wrong, they don't look like at all. Now I think you have your head in the sand if you can say that these 2 screen shots look alike in any manner than it has ork’s in them. As for the UI well holy hell most every game out there has a UI that look like the next one. As for the videos you posted come on man get a better example that is a video of a at monitor at gamesday, its going to look like crap.  

Warhammer - mythicmktg.fileburst.com/media/images/screenshots/full/SS_May_2006_02.jpg

World of Warcraft - www.diskusjon.no/uploads/post-172-1103835664.jpg

UO-EQ1-SWG-DAOC-WOW-EQ2-WAR-GW2-RIFT

• roflingemoroflingemo Member Posts: 19
    This post is probably from a biased opinion, so if you post that my opinion is probably altered by an outside source; I know that already.

I personally find -a lot- [not all] of 3D MMORPGs having the same basic idea. "Guild here, guild there, grind here, grind there, quest that tells you to get something or kill something." There are, yes, 2D MMORPGs with the same concept, however the 2D MMORPGs I've played have been very uhm, different style of gameplay (despire graphics) than 3D MMORPGs.

Example:

+I played SilkRoad, which had a different type of play; no real class system, basic level up what type of skill you want, very neat concept.

+I played FlyFF, which had the normal grind style (and quest: kill this or find this), however with a twist; you can use a hoverboard/broom to fly!!!!

=I played NexusTK: KIngdom of the WInds, a 2D game, which was fun because of its large community involvement.

=I play GoonZu, a 2D Isometric game, which is also very fun because of it's community involvement, and dependency on players.

Now, my main point of this is that each MMORPG has something unique about it. Whether it's something or small.  However, most games do take after each other, why? Because developers want what sells, and whatever seems to be the market's demand, they'll make that.

I guess it might just come down to how dedicated the staff is towards the game.

Just my opinion.
  • AlienovrlordAlienovrlord Member Posts: 1,525
    Originally posted by sctt888

Lets not forget WoW was the best MMO on the market till endgame hit and it became soo raidcentric, WoWs 1-70 is great till raidtime then it blows.
    Warhammer being just another WoW is a great thing in my opinion because warhammer focuses on PVP like DOAC but yet still taking aspects from WoW. Warhammer like its been promised wont be a PVE raidcentric endgame. Its like a nice DOAC and WoW mixed.
    Id rather have warhammer be just another WoW like game then Warhammer being a vanguard like game. We all know what happened with that.

If you want to hype this game you can do much better than bringing up ANOTHER "This game is WoW" thread even if it's meant to be a positive one.

That's not to say you can completely ignore the 800lb gorillia that is WoW, but how about judging the WAR on it's own merits?   It's bad enough that Warhammer inspired Blizzard's Warcraft setting, we don't need posts claiming it's good the game itself is another WoW (which as others have pointed out is incorrect).

Yes it may take elements from WoW, just like WoW and every other MMORPG took elements from EQ and UO which both took elements from Meridian and so on and so on all the way back to Pong.  We all know where those elements came from so there's no need to go around spouting that X game is actually an updated version of Y.

Judge the game based on what it is, not based on other games from the past.

• turnipzturnipz Member Posts: 531
    Maybe people just want something totally unique like age of conan and thats what they mean by world of warcraft clone, I mean the fundamental combat system is the same.  Click guy, hit key...
  • ElgarethElgareth Member Posts: 588

Warhammer being just another WoW is a great thing in my opinion

It's not about if it'd be a good thing or not to be a WoW Clone.

Maybe it WOULD be good, maybe this WOULD lead to record subscription numbers...

But matter of the fact is:

WAR won't be like WoW, AT ALL!

WAR won't have Quests like WoW, WAR won't have Classes like WoW, WAR won't have a Crafting System like WoW.

Apart from the graphical and UI similarities, WAR will play and feel UTTERLY DIFFERENT from WoW.

Probably THAT's why many are so upset about it.
  • lekizlekiz Member Posts: 171

(based on my opinion only, and maybe some true facts)

Yeah, sorry, no. I don't think WAR is a copy of WoW, maybe "some" of the aspects are similar, though nothing is being directly copied. World of Warcraft is a great game yes, but Warhammer Online differs in many areas if you read more information about it. Also, Warhammer Online focuses more around "RvR" than anything else, and we can only hope for no raiding (something I wasn't too comfortable with in WoW.)

WoW doesn't give you (just to name a few) the playability of a Goblin race, it doesn't have smaller details as in attaching trophies, heads, beards, skulls to your belt or armor pieces, or other small details like being able to actually "grow" as you obtain higher levels (longer beards, horns, etc.), it doesn't have a race that allows you to hop on a disc and cause destruction, it doesn't have Witch Hunter class to torture whoever with your arsenal, possibly more I could name off... So, see, they both differ in many aspects. Just because it may "look" similar, doesn't mean it will play or act like another game. WAR isn't another WoW at all.

I for one played WoW forever since it was released, and I'm ready for WAR to hit. It'll be a huge relief for the WoW veterans that are interested in converting over to WAR. And plus, it is great that EAMythic is taking their time with WAR and not rushing it out. I think by the time 2008 comes along, WAR will be even more improved beyond what we're all seeing right now. We'll have to wait and see, I guess.

• BattleFelonBattleFelon Member UncommonPosts: 483

1. WOW and WAR do not actually look alike. I played around with the Warhammer Alpha build at last year's Penny Arcade, and from my experience the graphics don't look anything like WOW up close. This was in Alpha when one could argue there was a passing resemblance between the games - from the latest screenshots and videos being released by Mythic it seems like the game is moving farther and farther away from WOW's visual style.

2. WAR integrates PVP at the lowest level and rewards both instanced and open world PVP. By contrast, WOW makes you wait till the higher levels to access the more fun aspects of PVP and meaningful world PVP is a joke. I would argue that meaningful PVP equals  raiding enemy towns and cities, protecting or cutting supply lines, doing zone battle quests with 20 other people - not corpse camping level 20s at level 70 or running around capturing meaningless towers for a slight boost in grinding XP.

3. At least WAR allows you to play some interesting character classes that aren't offered in other MMOGs - from the Goblin squig herder to the Dwarven engineer to the Chaos zealot. Other classic MMOG classes are given a cool twist - eg,  a warpriest character that can wear mail and kick ass in melee. Compare this to WOW, with it's generic races and absolutely uninspired classes. I picked up Neverwinter Nights 2 a few weeks back  and rolled a druid because that's the class I play in WOW.  I was shocked at all the powers and spell names WOW had wholesale copied from D&D. 

For that matter, one could argue that WOW has borrowed so much wholesale from the Warhammer universe (gyrocopters, steam tanks, dwarves with big guns, etc) that when it comes to IP, WOW is actually a WAR clone.

4. I'm not 100 percent familiar with the current combat system, but my understanding is it will incorporate morale in that your whole team's effectiveness goes up or down depending on how well your team is fighting.

SInce the game is still probably a year out (realistically), I'm not going to sit here and say that WAR will be the MMOG to end all MMOGs. But after playing the alpha and following press reports, it looks promising that WAR will finally offer the large scale PVP experience that WOW failed to do. I'm also looking forward to a MMOG set in a far more dark and sinister world than Azeroth.

• ScriarScriar Member Posts: 772

Lets not forget WoW was the best MMO on the market till endgame hit and it became soo raidcentric, WoWs 1-70 is great till raidtime then it blows.
    Warhammer being just another WoW is a great thing in my opinion because warhammer focuses on PVP like DOAC but yet still taking aspects from WoW. Warhammer like its been promised wont be a PVE raidcentric endgame. Its like a nice DOAC and WoW mixed.
    Id rather have warhammer be just another WoW like game then Warhammer being a vanguard like game. We all know what happened with that.

I'd rather warhammer be like lord of the rings, polished, than wow. WoW and warhammer are completly different apart from the graphics, which are like that so that more people can play the game. I think warhammer will be dark age of camalot, but easier/more mainstream, to come in line with todays mmos.

• LemacsLemacs Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Yet, another good comparison just to show how different WAR and WOW really are.

warhammerinfo.com/hatemail03-30-2007.shtml

UO-EQ1-SWG-DAOC-WOW-EQ2-WAR-GW2-RIFT

• GreenChaosGreenChaos Member Posts: 2,268

First of all,  Aelfinn  is my hero.

Second of all, no matter now many people say it's just a WoW clone I'm still going to try it.  Along with about 20 games coming out in the next 2 years because I have a job, and I love to spend money.  So there - na na na na.

And only after I have played it for a few months will I make any judgment.

As far as something be a WoW clone, WoW did many thing right – all devs should take a good look at WoW.  Especially the looking good on older systems and running on macs as well. And hopefully they will also see what needs improving, like the boring combat.