Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW vs all other MMO's

VaedurVaedur Member Posts: 430
Look first of all, let me start buy saying I played wow, and quit the game about a year ago, i currently play none

I have tried DAOC, SWG, EQII, EQI, DDO, LOTR, COH, AC

and have to say..

why does everyone bash wow? cause you think it's cool? 

most people who bash it, played it till they got a max character or two and quit, lol..  I had a few level 60's and feel like it got stale (omg stale is that possible?) err yup it is but.. i't smoother, and better run then almost any MMO out there, graphics are good (no really they are) and blizzard takes care of the game. and that 8mil sub scriber numer doesn't lie.

so i've tried them all and their are things i like about all the mmo's and things i dislike about wow, same with all mmo's. 

heck ac was great for 2 years and got stale, they ALL do. your playing the same game for years! it's amazing any game can hold someone's interest that long, lol.

my point? well they are all basically the same, the basically copy good ideas off eachother, and improve their game based on other's idea.. and i want to tell all the WoW bashers just one little thing.

YOU ONLY BASH WOW CAUSE YOU THINK IT MAKES YOU LOOK COOL! and the fact that you, like me, play mmo's enough to post on this site means.. your not cool.. live with it, and stop bashing wow, it won't get you girls or popularity.

thanks

vaedur

and when you bash me and pick on wow, it just proves my point.

Comments

• FugnudzFugnudz Member Posts: 480
    People bash WOW because it doesn't give them what they want (the old EQ mystery or UO sense of dangers, etc).  What WOW does deliver is a simple, polished, playable game and it is almost unique in those elements.
  • thetankthetank Member Posts: 200
    Alot of ppl bash because:

1) They are burnt of the game and want everyone to feel like them

2) They think they look cool and badass

3) They look like MMO's "vets"

4) 2 & 3

5) They never tryed the game due to others trollers.. so they troll to

6) They are plain stupid

And that just 6 types of the WoW haters.

• flood950flood950 Member Posts: 447
    I think there is a lot more to it than people wanting to look cool..lol..whatever that means. 

This is a pretty broad topic and there are many many reasons why people "bash" Warcraft.  From my personal experience a lot of it comes from the community in WoW.  Now, before you jump all over me, I am not bashing it.  When I played the game, I was a GL of a pretty significant guild.  There were many many people in the guild where WoW was their first MMO.  They took a liking to it and read all about the millions of players, and without having experience with other games, took on the mindset that WoW was the ONLY game worth playing.

There is a superiority complex that is present in some WoW players...not all obviously, not even close..but some have this.  It flows onto the message boards and a lot of them come off like pompus asses.  The bashing of the game comes from others that may have more experience with online gaming, know there are other games out there that in their own day were "better" and get sick of hearing about how many players WoW has, and how great it is, and that it will never die...ad naseum.

I played WoW for a rather long time, enjoyed my time there, dont bash the game now, but no, I dont think its the best MMO ever made.  When you hear people stating that it is, and that they are right and you are simply wrong....when half of these people started playing MMO's with WoW, a disdain for the game and its players natually grows.

Just my two copper, this obviously is not what happens for everyone, but its just something that I have seen.  As I opened with, its a complex topic but I really dont think most people are bashing the game or its players to look cool, I suppose some are, there are a whole lot of people here and there...but I dont think thats the predominant cause as your post seems to claim.
  • VaedurVaedur Member Posts: 430
    Originally posted by flood950

I think there is a lot more to it than people wanting to look cool..lol..whatever that means. 

This is a pretty broad topic and there are many many reasons why people "bash" Warcraft.  From my personal experience a lot of it comes from the community in WoW.  Now, before you jump all over me, I am not bashing it.  When I played the game, I was a GL of a pretty significant guild.  There were many many people in the guild where WoW was their first MMO.  They took a liking to it and read all about the millions of players, and without having experience with other games, took on the mindset that WoW was the ONLY game worth playing.

There is a superiority complex that is present in some WoW players...not all obviously, not even close..but some have this.  It flows onto the message boards and a lot of them come off like pompus asses.  The bashing of the game comes from others that may have more experience with online gaming, know there are other games out there that in their own day were "better" and get sick of hearing about how many players WoW has, and how great it is, and that it will never die...ad naseum.

I played WoW for a rather long time, enjoyed my time there, dont bash the game now, but no, I dont think its the best MMO ever made.  When you hear people stating that it is, and that they are right and you are simply wrong....when half of these people started playing MMO's with WoW, a disdain for the game and its players natually grows.

Just my two copper, this obviously is not what happens for everyone, but its just something that I have seen.  As I opened with, its a complex topic but I really dont think most people are bashing the game or its players to look cool, I suppose some are, there are a whole lot of people here and there...but I dont think thats the predominant cause as your post seems to claim.
    Flood i'd bash you but. well.. that was rather intelligent and i see your point..

now i did NOT play EQ that long, but did the hardcore raiders in EQ have the same supriority complex, if not then that's a good thing.

I did notice a ton, and i mean a ton, of people who were "out of their minds" for the game, boarderline crazy.  boarderline.  then again i maybe be too. lol  but flood, i can not bash you for your point of view because you have alot of valid points to it.

but i still think alot of people make fun of the game for no real reason.  yes some wow players just point to the 8 million like they were pointing to a scoreboard, and i was a guild leader and pretty hardcore player for a while. 

anyways flood, all i really want to say is thanks for an intelligent counterpoint, instead of a name calling attack

vae

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Originally posted by Vaedur

YOU ONLY BASH WOW CAUSE YOU THINK IT MAKES YOU LOOK COOL! and the fact that you, like me, play mmo's enough to post on this site means.. your not cool.. live with it, and stop bashing wow, it won't get you girls or popularity.

Unlike you, I play MMO's and I am most certainly cool....

But the real question is.... why do people like yourselves see the need to promote WOW?  Do you get paid to do it?  Does it give you some sort of perverse thrill to think you are part of the WOW 'club' or something?

Or maybe you just enjoy doing it.... just like the WOW bashers.... its entertaining to snipe at each other over what is the best game out there?

Don't call people out for irrational behavior while engaging in some yourself......

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

Too many new players that aren't experienced of mmorpgs are in the old hardcores minds destroying the "good ol' hardcore community", you know like the one in SWG. A simple game that is easy to play and easy to learn how to play.

And the second thing: The focus is atm on WoW. A lot of people are playing the game all around the world which makes the game much discussed. A game with such a big community is bound to get some haters that then will do all they can to start bash the game. Really the reason behind WoW getting bashed is that it got a too big community to not get bashed.

• RaunuRaunu Member UncommonPosts: 480
    Originally posted by Kyleran

But the real question is.... why do people like yourselves see the need to promote WOW?  Do you get paid to do it?  Does it give you some sort of perverse thrill to think you are part of the WOW 'club' or something?

Or maybe you just enjoy doing it.... just like the WOW bashers.... its entertaining to snipe at each other over what is the best game out there?

Don't call people out for irrational behavior while engaging in some yourself......

Kyleran makes a very valid point, by making this post you are putting yourself down to the same level as the "WoW Bashers".

- - "What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?" - -

• WargoleMWargoleM Member Posts: 47

lol unfortunatly, people play wow beacuse there is a lack of alternatives.

You must remember WoW is not for everyone, a substantial number of the WoW community i met while playing in the previous 2 and a half years would leave if somthing better came along..... people have a right to an opinion... WoW is not an overly good game, unfortuantly there is nothing on the market to topple it off its high horse.

Save a Tree.... Eat a Beaver

Originally posted by Kyleran

no your not

But the real question is.... why do people like yourselves see the need to promote WOW? 

i actually stated the game got boring, but it's a nice game.. not much of a promotion

Do you get paid to do it?

if i got paid to do it, i wouldn't have counter arguments and promote the other games as well

Does it give you some sort of perverse thrill to think you are part of the WOW 'club' or something?

I don't play wow, and i am not a member of the WoW'club'

Or maybe you just enjoy doing it....

yes i enjoy asking an intelligent question

just like the WOW bashers....

like you you mean?

its entertaining to snipe at each other over what is the best game out there?

i never once said what the "best game out there was" but my favorite of all time is Asheron's call, and i do think that DDO has the best combat system, if not a lacking game.

same to you buddy.

Well Kyleran, i don't play wow as i said.. maybe you didn't read that part.  Infact i am totally board with the game, and will never play it again, after a year, it's pure repeditive, then again, i think most MMO's get pure repeditive.  instead of answering the question, or having any kind of valid counter point, you try a personal attack.  the reason i'm posting in the first place is that I personally feel alot of good conversations about things in mmo's turns into wow bashing, and i just think wow's actually a really good mmo.  If i had no responsiblities (like a full time job, college, a wife) and could raid 2-3 days a week, maybe i'd play it still, who knows. 

come back when you have a vaild point instead of just proving mine.  i can even show you where your wrong, let me edit your text :P
  • MeridionMeridion Member UncommonPosts: 1,495
    MMOs are NOT all alike. Switch from WoW to EvE and then to Guildwars and then to Tibia. And THEN tell my "bohoooo, all MMOs are alike and WoW does what all MMOs do best." Both is untrue... period
    Originally posted by Godliest

Too many new players that aren't experienced of mmorpgs are in the old hardcores minds destroying the "good ol' hardcore community", you know like the one in SWG. A simple game that is easy to play and easy to learn how to play.
    And the second thing: The focus is atm on WoW. A lot of people are playing the game all around the world which makes the game much discussed. A game with such a big community is bound to get some haters that then will do all they can to start bash the game. Really the reason behind WoW getting bashed is that it got a too big community to not get bashed.
    i think you hit the nail on the head, nice point.
  • flood950flood950 Member Posts: 447
    There is something else to keep in mind which in theory (maybe if I studied Sociology more I would have evidence, but...I dont so I can only speculate) has to do with the criticism of WoW.

There is the undisputable truth that it is a wildly popular game.  One should also be able to reason that regardless of how popular anything is, there are going to be those that dont like it, thats what makes us human, if this was not the case, there would be only one MMO as everyone would like that and prefer it to anything else.

What tends to happen if you dont like something, but hear about it all of the time?  If WoW was not as popular, you wouldnt see the lashings out from those that dislike it.  It would be like any smaller title with its players and wouldnt be the focus of many many flamewars. 

When things are the hot topic of conversation, written about constantly, featured in TV shows(!!!!) those that dont like it are going to dislike it even more because its all over the place.  From gaming, I think a good example, but not perfect for obvious reasons would be Vanguard.  The game had rabid fans during Beta.  So many people told everyone else it would be the best game ever.  Those that disagreed, almost couldnt keep to themselves because the fans of the game were so ...loud I guess is the best word.  So, now you have people that dont think its going to be that good...see possible flaws, being berated by the fans, natually what is going to happen?  They are going to get more and more negative and start to take it out on those that do enjoy playing.

It comes up all over the place though...for a mainstream example think American Idol.  Its hugely popular for a TV show, many many people like it, talk about it, and write about it.  For those that dont like it..because its thrown in their face half of the week on TV, and on major news web sites, in the office, in the hallways whatever it may be, it causes people to just verbally attack those that like it.

There is a saying that goes something like "When people are booing you, it means they are paying attention.  Its when you dont hear anything that you should begin to worry."  Obviously that doesnt completely flow with the computer software business completely, but it has some merit. 
  • tikitiki Member Posts: 395

thats like say  if u reply to this post ur gay, it doesnt prove any point its jsut ur oppinion

I dont bash wow, i just hate it more then most games, the community it brought along with it has completly destroyed all games that have recently came out, now when ever theres a open beta like in LOTRO and vanguard all u hear in broadcast is "omg they stole the entire game from wow"  and personally thats my main complaint with wow and y it deserves a little bit of bashing even tho the game is really boring and doesnt have pvp that could keep anyone satisfied for longer than a hour.

and omg if reply to this or dont reply to this it jsut proves my point

East Carolina University, Computer Science BS, 2011
    --------------------
    Current game: DAOC

Games played and quit: L2, PlanetSide, RF Online, GuildWars, SWG, COH/COV, Vanguard, LOTRO, WoW, WW2 Online, FFXI, Auto-Assault, EVE Online, ShadowBane, RYL, Rappelz, Last Chaos, Myst Online, POTBS, EQ2, Warhammer Online, AoC, Aion, Champions Online, Star Trek Online, Allods, Darkfall.

Waiting on: Earthrise

Names: Citio, Goldie, Sportacus

Originally posted by Meridion

MMOs are NOT all alike. Switch from WoW to EvE and then to Guildwars and then to Tibia. And THEN tell my "bohoooo, all MMOs are alike and WoW does what all MMOs do best." Both is untrue... period
    i agree with that 100% i think people are missing the fact that i am NOT A WOW FANBOY! lol... the only mmo i'm subscribed to curently is City of heroes.. cause it gives me what i need.. very causal gameplay.   

My post has NO intention of being pro-wow, as i'm not a huge wow fan, the question is why so much anti-wow.. instead of pointing fingers at me, try answering the questions.  I do not feel that all mmo's are alike and wow does what all mmos do best.   I feel like asheron's call was the most fun mmo i ever played.

keep to the topic people.. if you want to argue go somewhere else, the point of this post is why so much anti-wow? if i said why do people hate jewish people would you call me a jew lover?   (proving a point, sorry if i offend some)  So now that i'm saying why do people hate wow don't call me a wow lover.. it just makes you look the fool.  and you recieve a -1 to your intelligence score.
    Originally posted by tiki

thats like say  if u reply to this post ur gay, it doesnt prove any point its jsut ur oppinion

-point taken +1 to your intelligence score.

I dont bash wow, i just hate it more then most games, the community it brought along with it has completly destroyed all games that have recently came out, now when ever theres a open beta like in LOTRO and vanguard all u hear in broadcast is "omg they stole the entire game from wow"  and personally thats my main complaint with wow and y it deserves a little bit of bashing even tho the game is really boring and doesnt have pvp that could keep anyone satisfied for longer than a hour.

-can see your point

and omg if reply to this or dont reply to this it jsut proves my point

-lol you win tiki
  • apocalanceapocalance Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Some people bash a sports teams because that team competes against a more preferred or favorite team.
    Some people bash Wal-Mart and will only go to Target.
    Some people bash Mac's and swear by PC's.
    Some people bash Windows and swear by Linux.

The point is, some people bash...

so...

FLOOD____

maybe that's why as a Jets fan i have this deep hate for the patriots, cause they are good! lol

and yeah, you must be a wrestling fan lol.. that whole it's when people are indifferent you should worry.. j/k
  • SkollSkoll Member Posts: 442

Look first of all, let me start buy saying I played wow, and quit the game about a year ago, i currently play none

and have to say..

most people who bash it, played it till they got a max character or two and quit, lol..  I had a few level 60's and feel like it got stale (omg stale is that possible?) err yup it is but.. i't smoother, and better run then almost any MMO out there, graphics are good (no really they are) and blizzard takes care of the game. and that 8mil sub scriber numer doesn't lie.

so i've tried them all and their are things i like about all the mmo's and things i dislike about wow, same with all mmo's. 

heck ac was great for 2 years and got stale, they ALL do. your playing the same game for years! it's amazing any game can hold someone's interest that long, lol.

my point? well they are all basically the same, the basically copy good ideas off eachother, and improve their game based on other's idea.. and i want to tell all the WoW bashers just one little thing.

thanks

vaedur

They arent doing it to look cool. They bash WoW to annoy others. As for the "burn out players", they are just angry that they have nothing left to do in the game. Im a burn out player, but i dont bash WoW. I still think WoW is a great game, kept me entertained until a month after TBC. Hell, i made 200$ with a friend off WoW, i cybered with some people, played with their emotions, and eventually got about 3500 gold and "1337" equips. This was months after i quit WoW though. It was on my cousins account. Alot of WoW players are new to MMO's and get attached, like we all do, to their first MMO. Im attached to RO, i think its better than any game out there. If you really want to stop WoW bashers, simply do what i do; ignore them. If everyone turned their heads away from the "WoW is dieeinienieng" threads, the bashers would stop. Because without an outraged audience, the bashers may as well be walking around AC2 in its final days.

Also, people who get their panties in a bunch over bashers really need to cool down. After all, that basher, hes one person, and his opinion doesnt matter to you.
  • AshGUTZAshGUTZ Member Posts: 339

In my opinion, people hate WoW because the basis for it are not that original yet it gets the most publicity.

Blizzard has worked hard for where they have gotten, and they are smart about presenting their games. Diablo, Starcraft, Warcraft, and now WoW. All these games, some FAR older than others are STILL played by a variety of people. What other games can you find that are almost older than half the MMORPG Market poulation that still have a great selection of players around the world?

The point is, Blizzard is on top. People don't like it because their idea for WoW wasn't the first kind of MMO of it's type or content, but it got alot of feedback and is worth more than alot of the other games out there today. The flashy lights, the huge weapons, the animations, the avatars, the dress-up feel of the game. You don't see many people that look JUST like you, that is what most of my pals liked about it -- myself included [when I did play].

Purely opinion, don't reply with a quote bashing my opinion on this because I don't care to see it, he wants what we think is the answer and there is my quick and simple explanation for it.

• ASmith84ASmith84 Member Posts: 979

if you want people to stop bashing wow why are you instigating it?  you are just asking for people to retaliate to this.  if you truly want people to stop then dont worry about it and let it run its course.

my thoughts on people talkin crap about wow is this.  if they have the time to talk crap about a game on forums all the time than they must have no life or friends. they get somthin to do when people start answerin back to them.  now to counter this dont say anything.  if they still talk crap when noones sayin anything then laugh how big of a looser they are since they truly have shown they have no life whatsoever.

now my thoughts on wow.  it is a decent game.  it just takes some time to do stuff in it.  sometimes it requires 5 hours of your time at once just to go through a dungeon.  plus pvp isnt all that good.  bunch of retards jumpin like rabbits swingin swords at random times which dont touch isnt cool lookin to me.  plus the graphics are cartoony which me personally doesnt like that type of graphics.

• AshGUTZAshGUTZ Member Posts: 339
    Originally posted by ASmith84

if you want people to stop bashing wow why are you instigating it?  you are just asking for people to retaliate to this.  if you truly want people to stop then dont worry about it and let it run its course.

Read what he said, he doesn't WANT people to stop bashing WoW. He even let us know he doesn't like WoW. He just wants to know why there is so much light on these kids trying to put WoW negatively to others. He wants our opinions on what really gets these 'bashers' panties in a twist.

Originally posted by AshGUTZ

In my opinion, people hate WoW because the basis for it are not that original yet it gets the most publicity.
    Blizzard has worked hard for where they have gotten, and they are smart about presenting their games. Diablo, Starcraft, Warcraft, and now WoW. All these games, some FAR older than others are STILL played by a variety of people. What other games can you find that are almost older than half the MMORPG Market poulation that still have a great selection of players around the world?
    The point is, Blizzard is on top. People don't like it because their idea for WoW wasn't the first kind of MMO of it's type or content, but it got alot of feedback and is worth more than alot of the other games out there today. The flashy lights, the huge weapons, the animations, the avatars, the dress-up feel of the game. You don't see many people that look JUST like you, that is what most of my pals liked about it -- myself included [when I did play].
    Purely opinion, don't reply with a quote bashing my opinion on this because I don't care to see it, he wants what we think is the answer and there is my quick and simple explanation for it.
    exceplent point.. lol i spelled it wrong and it's too funny to myself to take out ..

+1 to your intelligence score.  alright i'm going back to bed, 101 temp, needed some conversation as wife is at work.  Carry on without me, or not at all if people perfer.

Vaedur
  • Runny123Runny123 Member Posts: 177
    I bash WoW because its lame and pointless. Not for popularity.
  • MozinskiMozinski Member Posts: 70

I fail to see how bashing a game (be it WoW or any other game) makes you look cool, but that issue aside for the moment. From what I've seen, there seems to be more WoW players (or people who say they have played anyways) bashing other games, than there are people bashing WoW. I don't check every forum post so I could be wrong, just giving my perspective.

As far as my opionion on WoW, not going to give one. I have played WoW, I enjoyed it, I quit to play other games. The only bashing I am going to here is toward those people who claim to have played numerous other MMO's and thinking that it makes them and expert on what is good and bad about games. I've played the gambit of MMO's as well, but I'm not going to tell people to play this one or don't play that one because "I said so". I'll be the first to admit I'm not an expert. You like what you like, and I'll like what I like. Have fun gaming!

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803

and have to say..

most people who bash it, played it till they got a max character or two and quit, lol.. i played it, got to lvl 30, Quit... didnt talk to any one also... actually i talked but i just got ignored since acording to them im only a level 30 noob unworthy of a "try doing x instead you will get more xp, or " avoid this part till your lvl x" plainly ignored.  I had a few level 60's and feel like it got stale (omg stale is that possible?) err yup it is but.. gets stale? sorry but i dont find EVE stale, i dont fid Guild Wars stale nor EQ1 and by far EQ2 and if SWG (pre-Cu) was still running i would still be there wiht many things to do at endgame  other than raid i't smoother, and better run then almost any MMO out therei will have to agree there, graphics are good (no really they are)Compared to what?EQ1 sure UO sure. AO  sure SWG? nope GW nope EVE nope EQ2 nope... WoW World is simplistic toonish? why? because it was meant that way. so it could run on about any computer no matter how old it is. its part of blizzard's marketing plans... to make it available to anyone and their grandmother.  and blizzard takes care of the game. and that 8mil sub scriber numer doesn't lie.again, because of their target audience : EVERY ONE AND THEIR GRANDMOTHER... Blizzard are geniuses when it comes to that aspect. they made the game usefriendly, simple and computer friendly. the same CD box is compatible with Machintosh and PC... and i was running it on a 600 MHz Mac laptop with 64 Mb video and 512 ram... if that computer can run it.. any one can aford to play it without having to buy a 3000 $ monster

heck ac was great for 2 years and got stale, they ALL do.Been playing GuildWars for 2 years and its still running hard... people still play EQ1 and people still play SWG, god know how old is that game. not to mention AQ and DAoC... people are still there and enjoying it, not getting bored of it. your playing the same game for years! it's amazing any game can hold someone's interest that long, lol.if the game isnt repetitive at endgame? sure why not? if there is always something different to do? why not?

i dont bash WoW, i just say it is not of my taste and i place my reasons... valid reasons. (well at least valid to me) now i agree with you that some people just say WoW Sucks dont play its a piece of S**** blablabla without reason... sure thats not right... but people who place their reasons and why not? i dont call that bashing i call that giving their opinions.

as for your popularity and not cool theme? well thats just amateur... some people in this forum are married with children, and work 40 hour + per week , many have girlfriends and a social life,  and some ALL of the above.  i play MMOs casually for some periods and hardcore for other periods (when girlfriend is at a conference in Tokio)

so please dont place your opinions as facts without proof

thanks your welcome

vaedur

and when you bash me and pick on wow, it just proves my point. i didnt bashyou nor i picked on WoW... i just said what I though of your topic and the game itself. i just prooved MY POINT!