After horrible launch of EU LOTRO , when 1/3 of players had troubles logging in the game , Codemasters finally fixed the problem and is
not only giving 4 free days - but 1 special item for affected players , and 1 more for lifetime subscribers ...
Here is quote :"Hello everyone,
Further to our recent announcements, we'd like to give you an update on the status of our earlier login problems and to lay out the details of the compensation we will be providing to you.
Firstly, we would like to once again re-iterate our thanks to all of you for your continued support and patience during those frustrating times!
With regards to an update on our technical situation, here's an overview of all the work that has been done in the last few weeks:
We're sure you've all noted how each time we had login problems, the downtime became less and less. We're confident that once the final fixes are in place that we will have eliminated this problem of bottle-necking ! However we will be doing significant additional testing to ensure it stands up going forwards. As we mentioned before, we were not fully prepared for the popularity of LOTRO and the sheer amounts of people trying to log in simultaneously. Our billing system, whilst fully-tested, had never seen these numbers of real people on real systems all hammering it for entry to Middle-earth at the same time. With all these tweaks and improvements to the systems, we feel confident that our new configuration and setup can handle many more multiples of extra players and will be future-proofed for on-going success.
- We doubled the amount of servers that run the login systems - Whilst this definitely improved things, we soon found out that this wasn't the answer to the login bottlenecks.
- Added more servers to the billing systems – Again, whilst this provided a long-term boost and benefit, it was not sufficient to cope with all of you in a landrush scenario
- We optimised the databases – Another fairly quick solution which also had long-lasting benefits. Unnecessary calls and information were stripped out to stream line the process further
- Made various low-level tweaks to the DB–Gained more efficiency and speed from those tweaks
- Re-write of the login code – This was one of the two big jobs that was implemented just before this week's patch update. We completely re-wrote the way the logging in was handled using a totally different, more efficient language wrapper. We were positively delighted with the evident results seen on Tuesday!
- Further work on-going – The second major job that is still to be completed is the better use of caching between server systems and a standalone database. We project that these two additional "fixes" will have a significant positive impact on our systems resulting in what we hope will be a fast, slick, problem-free login system.
To make up for your frustrations and time lost during the downtimes, we would like to give you some tokens of our gratitude.
For every player that had a current subscription as of 20th May, 2007 we will be giving the in-game bonus item
Name: "The Glass of Aglaral"
What it is: Bag item
Type of object: Bound
Enhancements modifier: 1+ Hope
For Lifetime subscription customers we will be giving the in-game item:
Name: "The Fallen Star of Gil-Galad"
What it is: Pocket item
Type of object: Bound
Enhancements modifier: +1.5 Power Regeneration in non-combat
For non-Lifetime subscription customers we will be giving:
4 days free game time, which will be added to all accounts that had a current subscription as of 20th May, 2007.
The extra game time will be added within the next week, whilst the items will be added with the Shores of Evendim update, (Turbine need to build these into the next update).
We hope you enjoy these items and accept them as a gesture of our goodwill and gratitude and thank you once again for your outstanding support!