Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The WORST Vanguard screenshots: what went wrong

Comments

• iluvVGiluvVG Member Posts: 77
    Clada:

THANK YOU for posting those screens.  For a minute I thought the OP was confused and meant to be posting in the DAoC forums. 

Even if you play on Medium settings, the gfx are much better than the OP's post. 

Hate it for lagging, hate it for not having the content promised, hate it for whatever you want to hate it for, but dont hate it for its graphics.
  • DrachonisDrachonis Member Posts: 183

Just in case anyone was wondering, the OP had the graphics dead on.  I kid you not,  most of the game looks like the OP's pics.  And remember their just frozen pics... imagine how the game actually looks when it's chugging away at 15fps on your good computer...

• CladaClada Member Posts: 168
    Originally posted by Drachonis

Just in case anyone was wondering, the OP had the graphics dead on.  I kid you not,  most of the game looks like the OP's pics.  And remember their just frozen pics... imagine how the game actually looks when it's chugging away at 15fps on your good computer...
    Yeah and my pics are tacken using my own speical build of Vanguard that no one eles has.  If your getting 15fps outdoors (not in a town), you dont have a good computer.

------------------------------
    Check out some of the mmo's I have played:
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/129987/page/1

PC STATS:
    - Q9550
    - Evga GTX 280 SSC x2 (SLI)
    - 8GB DDR3
    - Nforce 790i Ultra

• UrdigUrdig Member Posts: 1,260
    Originally posted by //\//\oo

Originally posted by Clada

Uhh maybe you just need to get a new pc and try running it on highest qualtiy and then see if the images are "doctored".  Like im really gonna go and dull up an image, i see a scene that looks cool i take a snap.  I think its funny how that if you like a game or think its amazing its impossible to stand up for it without being called a fanboy, whoes work are you ever supposed to like? some people are just jokes.

My PC is fine: It runs EQ2 on the second highest quality setting with a consistent 20+ fps (I couldn't ever imagine doing that with vanguard). The irony is that I made no comment about YOUR pictures, but you assumed that I had; so you're admitting that you're a shill/fanboy?

I guess the joke is on you.

If you're getting 20+ fps with EQ2 then it's understandable that VG doesn't run as well for you.  EQ2 has been optimizing since it's release some 2 years ago, and uses less detail in the enviroments outside of the cities.

No need to acuse people of doctoring screenshots.  Just because your system isn't as capable as others doesn't mean that they doctored screens.  Pretty rude to acuse someone of such a thing.

Some pictures I took while wandering around the other day.

Wish Darkfall would release.

Originally posted by Drachonis

• DerricoDerrico Member Posts: 42
    Originally posted by Elikal

Originally posted by Riotact007

I play on medium settings and its nothing like that. Water looks awesome on my screen as does all mobs. Even my old pc on low settings werent this bad, really what r the specs of your pc? Did you just turn everything down as low as you could to see how bad you can get it?
    I KNEW this question would come. You can only take my word, I had setting as high as I could. I was playing on intel duo 2 with 2gb ram and Nvidia card with 1 gb graphics ram. My setting were as high as I was able, especially in water, since I usually love water showing good. Believe it or not, but at that time I had not purpose to make VG look bad.

You my friend are a liar.

Being savy with computers I can tell you many things

1. My PC is Intel core 2 duo at 1.8GHZ, 8800GTS 640mb and 2g ram and I play MAX graphics 40fps in cities 50fps everywhere else, your fictional computer would kill mine with that  fictional "1gig nvidia graphics card" so how do you play at medium?

2. Water looks amazing on medium settings for me

3. Your graphics card has 1g of ram!? REALLY!?! TO bad Nvidia does'nt make 1g ram video cards, unless your paying 2400$ for a EDITING QUADRO VIDEO CARD. Which I know you don't have

4. Your just trying to make vanguard look bad

5. Your grammar sucks

NINJA EDIT FOR REAL VANGUARD MEDIUM GRAPHICS

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v333/paintballer9290/?action=view&current=.my_first_widget.pbw

(its a slideshow)^^^

Waiting On:
    Age of Conan

Retired:
    AC - DT refugee - L173 UA
    AC2 - L50 Lugian Elementalist
    WoW - L60 gnome Warlock
    V:SoH - 50 rakki Ranger

Originally posted by Derrico

I play on medium settings and its nothing like that. Water looks awesome on my screen as does all mobs. Even my old pc on low settings werent this bad, really what r the specs of your pc? Did you just turn everything down as low as you could to see how bad you can get it?
    I KNEW this question would come. You can only take my word, I had setting as high as I could. I was playing on intel duo 2 with 2gb ram and Nvidia card with 1 gb graphics ram. My setting were as high as I was able, especially in water, since I usually love water showing good. Believe it or not, but at that time I had not purpose to make VG look bad.

1. My PC is Intel core 2 duo at 1.8GHZ, 8800GTS 640mb and 2g ram and I play MAX graphics 40fps in cities 50fps everywhere else, your fictional computer would kill mine with t hat  fictional "1gnvidia graphics card" so how do you play at medium?

3. Your graphics card has 1g of ram!? REALLY!?! TO bad Nvidia does'nt make 1g ram video cards, unless your paying 2400$ for a EDITING QUADRO VIDEO CARD. Which I know you don't have

5. Your grammar sucks

LOL!

I just realised that his gfx card has 1gb of ram.  That is very funny. 

I'm going to have to call shinanigans as well.

Post us a dxdiag Elikal?

And the haters keep acusing the fans of lying.  VERY funny.

Yea I don't know how noone picked up on that

Waiting On:
    Age of Conan

Retired:
    WoW - L60 gnome Warlock

• csthaocsthao Member UncommonPosts: 1,121

if you want water to look nice and all, turn up the shadow...(if i could remember right, i havent played this game for a while) the only reason i liked clear transparent water was because i can target monsters easier, and it was less laggy...but im quite sure it was the shadow that can make the water look better or transparent...
  • GoldknyghtGoldknyght Member UncommonPosts: 1,519
    Originally posted by Urdig

1. My PC is Intel core 2 duo at 1.8GHZ, 8800GTS 640mb and 2g ram and I play MAX graphics 40fps in cities 50fps everywhere else, your fictional computer would kill mine with t hat  fictional "1gnvidia graphics card" so how do you play at medium?

5. Your grammar sucks

LOL!

Post us a dxdiag Elikal?

two geforce 7900 512mb gtx's in SLI makes it 1GB. Well thats what i see from ads at computer stores. If thats what he was talking about on the 1gb otherwise your right there isn't a 1gb card yet. think the gtx 8800 ultra is still 768mbs
    Originally posted by Goldknyght

5. Your grammar sucks

LOL!

Post us a dxdiag Elikal?

two geforce 7900 512mb gtx's in SLI makes it 1GB. Well thats what i see from ads at computer stores. If thats what he was talking about on the 1gb otherwise your right there isn't a 1gb card yet. think the gtx 8800 ultra is still 768mbs

768mbs is right.

I'm not sure the SLI/ Xfire accually doubles the ram.  Just spreads it across two cards to make it more efficient.  Thought I read that in a tech magazine a while back.   I would have to research it again though.

The OP's settings. 

Clouds are off, shaders are down, grass is down, simple terrian looks like it's on. 

I don't think he meant sli, im pretty sure he just doesn't know what hes talking about. AND if he was in sli with any 512 mb card in the 7 series he could play at max graphics and he said card, not cards

Waiting On:
    Age of Conan

Retired:
    WoW - L60 gnome Warlock

• Publish6246Publish6246 Member Posts: 346
    Problem with Vanguard is it shouldn't be such a system hog, it has a major memory leak issue and constantly finding i'm having to /flush because slowly it just drains more and more memory. Also the game just graphic wise doesn't look very good and IMO EQ2 does look better altho it's not seemless so it'll have better performance.

Worst things about Vanguard?

Player Characters = UGLY

Artwork = Bland and generic

-----------------------------

SWG - PrePub9 Jedi mastered all professions - June 26th 2003 > Nov 15th 2005
    EVE Online - 24 million SP - May 6th 2003 > Early 2005
    PlanetSide - BR20 CR5 - May 23rd 2003 > Sept 2003

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

5. Your grammar sucks

LOL!

Post us a dxdiag Elikal?

I wasnt lying, I was merely erring in the haste of writing, its an Nvidia 7950 with 512 MB, which is as good as you can have these days. No need to call someone a hater, because I am none. VG is not terrible. If you see my posts you will always see I talked against doomsayers either. But VG is in BIG trouble, and SOE needs to realize they must do more than just a few small patches here and there.

This is trolling, nothing else. Count yourself blessed i even bother to answer you to give you a chance to keep your honor.

Personal attacks and ridiculing me, that is ALL i see fanbois and trolls take cover to, when they are out of arguments. Your style of getting to a personal level is demasking and more damaging than any "attack" on VG could ever do damage. A game that has "fans" like you, doesnt need any enemies. It is revealing enough to anyone with honor and decency.

I can live with ANYONE who says he/she still enjoyes VG, thats fine with me. But people like YOU, with your personal attacks, you ridiculous verbal games have contributed greatly to the demise of VG! Calling me a liar wont help you. With every new MMO Vanguard will be crushed more. It had deserved better, but relying on ppl like this it is clear to me now it is doomed, if people like you are now what is left. You fell so deep, and yet you learned nothing.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

So why did you say it has 1gig of ram, error of writing or just trying to emphasize your PC quality to seem like its vanguards fault your running bad? Also with your setup you should EASILY run vanguard still at max settings with okay fps. I doubt I contributed to the demise of vanguard, I believe it is widely known that it was management's fault (brad + others). If its any consolation that im not even a fanboi, Im not even playing vanguard anymore I unsubbed and haven't played in a month.  And the 7950 is nowhere near the best any more, the new radeon DX10 card (even with their problems) and the nvidia 8800 series blow your benchies out of the water. 

I find it funny you contribute fanbois to the demise when you post negative things about the game, contradictory much?

Waiting On:
    Age of Conan

Retired:
    WoW - L60 gnome Warlock

• matraquematraque Member Posts: 1,431
    So... you can`t play the newest MMO at full settings on your medium machine?

That all i understand from your post OP.

eqnext.wikia.com

5. Your grammar sucks

LOL!

Post us a dxdiag Elikal?

I wasnt lying, I was merely erring in the haste of writing, its an Nvidia 7950 with 512 MB, which is as good as you can have these days. No need to call someone a hater, because I am none. VG is not terrible. If you see my posts you will always see I talked against doomsayers either. But VG is in BIG trouble, and SOE needs to realize they must do more than just a few small patches here and there.

This is trolling, nothing else. Count yourself blessed i even bother to answer you to give you a chance to keep your honor.

Personal attacks and ridiculing me, that is ALL i see fanbois and trolls take cover to, when they are out of arguments. Your style of getting to a personal level is demasking and more damaging than any "attack" on VG could ever do damage. A game that has "fans" like you, doesnt need any enemies. It is revealing enough to anyone with honor and decency.

I can live with ANYONE who says he/she still enjoyes VG, thats fine with me. But people like YOU, with your personal attacks, you ridiculous verbal games have contributed greatly to the demise of VG! Calling me a liar wont help you. With every new MMO Vanguard will be crushed more. It had deserved better, but relying on ppl like this it is clear to me now it is doomed, if people like you are now what is left. You fell so deep, and yet you learned nothing.

I have the same card, only mine is 256mb.

I run the game with everything but the lightiing up.  I can even turn the textures up to max if I don't mind 15 fps everyhwere I go.  The 7950 isn't as good as you can get these days.  2 high end 8800 would be the best you can get these days, and run you quite a bit.  If you can't get better performance out of your system then that's not the games fault.

You seem really angry.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

5. Your grammar sucks

LOL!

Post us a dxdiag Elikal?

Seriously, hate to feed the fire but....

2g Ram, 7950 nVidia 512 mb, 3.2 P4, dsl 1.5 Meg connection....

unless you are on dial-up, you have a slightly better system then mine for playing Vanguard, and my normal gameplay screens look much better than yours. As people are pointing out....you are either lying or your system isn't functioning properly....

or the rest of us are lying...but I'm not sure why you think we would try to fool people into playing a game we know their systems cannot handle - I see no benefit for the Vanguard community to further anger people about the most pre-hated mmo out there.

And for those 2 or 3 supporting your claims...I want some back up - are they talking about beta performance or current performance? And if you guys are still, after 4 months, subscribing to and regularly playing Vanguard when you can't run it ..wtf are you doing?

• KraeneeKraenee Member Posts: 166
    I had to get in on this one.

The OP was probably right on the mark on his machine.  I also have a similar setup as he does along with a few guild mates. I'm running XP and the others are running Vista. VG is having big issues with the 8800 cards. If you go to the forums

http://forums.station.sony.com/vg/forums/show.m?forum_id=8

you can read for yourselves. The fact is the 7950 does better in VG than the 8800 cards. I have a guild mate with that setup and he has no problems at all in game.

Basically any card works better for VG it seems than the 8800s

So before you go and attack peeps on the forums why don't you read up first BEFORE making an ass of yourselves. 

• MorgaurMorgaur Member UncommonPosts: 196
    Seriously I have a 8800GTS and are taking beautiful shots all through my normal gameplay, even when the 8800 series have troubles. Will post some I just took when I get home after work today :)
  • SturmrabeSturmrabe Member Posts: 927

Why don't you post some shots when things get hosed up, stuck in walls, inside out and backwards like the OP suggests...

Everyone knows that in the feew brief moments everything is still you can get a good screenshot, its the stuff that happens every day that people try to pretend doesn't happen that people want to see... the BALANCED view...

imageimage
    Of all that is written, I love only what a person has written with his own blood. -Nietzsche

• MorgaurMorgaur Member UncommonPosts: 196

Tbh I havent experienced much of those things. These are the nasty things I have experienced in Vanguard:

Falling through the hills. Happened 4 times for me

Short "stuttering" when crossing "zones"

- Turning me around after crossing a zone

- Turning of torch when crossing zone

Crashing to desktop now and then for no apparent reason

- Especially annoying when travelling on horseback. end up in the water dead or some other foul place

I am going to post some screenshots taking in normal routine. Whats the point of lining up the "perfect" screenshot. That doesent reflect your avatar at all times. Im just gonna cough up some regular ones tonight :) Im not trying to save the game here, Im simply saying that my computer runs Vanguard just good enough for me :)

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Sturmrabe

Why don't you post some shots when things get hosed up, stuck in walls, inside out and backwards like the OP suggests...

Everyone knows that in the feew brief moments everything is still you can get a good screenshot, its the stuff that happens every day that people try to pretend doesn't happen that people want to see... the BALANCED view...

To make you happy:

Look at the texture of the trees  To bad i know my system isn't able to render them more atleast not at the mediumlow balanced settings when i fly (just to be safe when flying)

img523/5098/screenshot00018rn4.jpg

Texture on the bears in Tanvu are not so well done though its movements are great (but LotrO bears do look somewhat better) But also bears from Martok look better then those bears from Tanvu. Kinda have the feeling that OP's turtle shot was from around Tanvu aswell if i'm not mistaken which makes me believe another group of artist have done htis area. Anyway some of hte graphics in Vanguard can be fixed by a better systems, and yes some things might just never change and might stay the way it looks. Still thankfully i enjoy the scenery and hardly notice things like just show, i'm to long a gamer and play to damn many games so i'm not worried and pretty sure time can heal. Seeing what thge Vanguard team has done since release for example compared to what was done in EQ2 or SWG we must all conclude this game has done more in such a brief time then any of the other mmo's out there. sure was needed afcourse cause lets bring this old line back again WE ALL KNEW IT WAS RELEASED TO EARLY.img523/3783/screenshot00010fq8.jpg

Okay below another compared example, first you see how i actualy see and am able to play the game smooth, below that same sort of shot but taken at my highest settings at 1600-1200res. but then it becomes somewhat unplayeble as in lots of CTD, lag, hitches where i do not have these problems at my settings as seen with the first shot with my gobby.

This is my current and playeble setting at medium/high and 1280-1024 res.

img514/2613/currentplayebleingamegrom2.jpg

Below 1600-1200res and max setting where you can see some close-up textures becoming somewhat clearer, but still it shows my machine is at its limit. And as you can see between screenshots taken with a 8 serie card like Urdigs shots and those taken with my 7 serie card there is a big difference in how the scene's are rendered and how textures just speak more on 8800cards. Sidenote a 7900 or 7950 is still better then a 8500/8600 card, the only dif. is those 8 serie card even the lowspecs have PS4.0 and DX10 but most likely when people already have a 79 card they will almost serten go down in performance when swithching to any of the new lower 8 series card, only thing for 7900 users to upgrade to when choosing Nvidia afcourse is to go 8800 series. (but then again what do i know)

img508/936/whishfullmaxsettingplaykk9.jpg

yup i do hitch somewhat: http://img532.imageshack.us/my.php?image=littlewalkinvanguardpp0.flv

chunk: http://img532.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chunklinedemove3.flv , will still eat invis.But never cause me to crash. Pet is stable now when using Necs pet and still lose light actualy nothing else so harly a real problem, chunks beats a loading screen every time

Side-note below  conclusion taken from: http://www.gamespot.com/features/6169151/index.html?cpage=4

Conclusion

The GeForce 8600 GTS and the GeForce 8600 GT wowed and disappointed us at the same time. Performance in shader intensive games like Oblivion was impressive; however neither of the cards offers performance gains over what you can already purchase in the sub-$200 category. More often than not, the 8600s lag behind the GeForce 7900 GS, the Radeon X1950 Pro, and especially the Radeon X1900 XT. The allure of DirectX 10 support might count for something, but we're not prepared to give Nvidia credit until we see how these cards actually perform with DirectX 10 games. For the moment, we'd pass on the GeForce 8600 GTS and the GeForce 8600 GT in favor of similarly priced higher-performance DirectX 9 cards. If you’re willing to spend a little more, the GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB provides vastly superior performance.

• CladaClada Member Posts: 168

5. Your grammar sucks

LOL!

Post us a dxdiag Elikal?

You make no sense.

A nvidia 7950 is not this generation of graphic cards, its far from being the best you can have these days and Vangaurd does not even support SLI.

Why are we fanboys?

For stating that your wrong, for standing up for something we think is right ?? can someone not just like a game anymore without being called a fanboy?  I think I and many others have played enough mmo's to be able to justify our  responses.  Your org post made such silly and foolish attacks and it has been shown that you can not properly stand up behind them.  

------------------------------
    Check out some of the mmo's I have played:
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/129987/page/1

PC STATS:
    - Q9550
    - Evga GTX 280 SSC x2 (SLI)
    - 8GB DDR3
    - Nforce 790i Ultra

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I'm looking at the screens Recklaw posted, and frankly WoW has better art. Even original Everquest had some better art.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests