Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Everquest 2 is on the upswing

JohnhostJohnhost Member Posts: 146
I have always dabbled in EQ2 having played EQ1 since 2000 when Kunark was released.  And I never could quite get into the game, but in the last year I played it almost exclusively.  And you know it seemed the populations were pretty low and hard to find groups, and the game took some time to get used to.  As they have started reviving the old EQ1 content more and really bringing back a more open free flowing gaming experience, it seems the game is really picking up.

Echoes of Faydwer was a huge hit for the game, and last night something very encouraging.  In the newbie zones a whole army of Guides were around chasing off gold spammers and telling stories, handing out stuff to new players.  Basically the guide program is growing, people are talking to each other and the community seems to be building up.  If the community does continue to grow strong then I see EQ2 growing hugely!

Comments

• LukainLukain Member UncommonPosts: 591
    EQ2 is a great game Now , I would still be playing it if i didnt hit the burnout wall & NEEDED a change .. so now LOTRO should keep me amused for a year or 2  till I get bored with it & then its on to something new  :) . I really don't think I will ever spend more than a year or 2 on any game anymore , EQ1 6 years play was a fluke ...
  • v4mp1r3v4mp1r3 Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by Lukain

EQ1 6 years play was a fluke ...
    You're lucky. I wish I could get that addicted to a game :(

Wish me luck with EQ2 :P Really enjoying the Trial of the Isle. Suprisingly better, and much different than I expected.
  • lomillerlomiller Member Posts: 1,810
    Originally posted by v4mp1r3

Originally posted by Lukain

EQ1 6 years play was a fluke ...
    You're lucky. I wish I could get that addicted to a game :(

Wish me luck with EQ2 :P Really enjoying the Trial of the Isle. Suprisingly better, and much different than I expected.

Other then the fact you can start in your class instead of being a generic fighter/scout/mage/[Priest, the the trial of the Isle is still very much EQ2 at release.  The “Play the Fae” trial is much better, and even better still would be to grab a retail box and join the crowds in Neriak.  
  • PerryPantherPerryPanther Member Posts: 149
    I have been playing eq 2 since beta .... and i LOVE the game. The graphics are great gameplay is great. I wont leave eq2 for anything...... The only 2 mmo's i play is eq 2 and lotr which lotr is not bad but doesnt beat eq 2 .....So for all of you out there want a great game to play which has a MATURE community look no further than eq 2!
  • ElivoElivo Member UncommonPosts: 71

I have been considering comming back to EQ2 for a little while now, I have a lvl 50something Iksar SK that i did enjoy playing with but it just got so damn frustrating to get a group going for any dungon areas.

From what ive read on recent posts here is that the difficulty in getting a group has not improved.

I really liked the game but im not a solo fan that much. 

Maby if the communtiy contlinues to grow with the new xpac comming soon ill look to give it another go.

• vingvegavingvega Member Posts: 577
    I have played WoW until the expansion came out and was already on the verge of being burned out on it. So I tried a few MMO’s here and there and nothing I tried was worth dedicating my time in. I tried Lord Of The Rings online at BETA and still wasn’t happy. So I tried the trial of EQ2 and thought it was pretty good. So I went out and bought EoF and created a Conjuror. I have more fun now than when I was playing WoW. I thought nobody would be playing this game still (at least at a newbie level) but I was dead wrong. There is sooo many people in this game. I can always go LFG and find one. The graphics are awesome. I have a Geforce 8800GTX and have the graphics on max and I’m just blown away. I love the AA points you get now and the quests are actually enjoyable. I downloaded that EQ2 Map UI and find it so easy to find things. It is worth a look if you never used it before. This will be my game until something better comes out. Check it out, it’s worth it.
  • dpf1978dpf1978 Member UncommonPosts: 71
    I would also absolutely say that EQ2 is on the upswing.  I'm noticing more and more people in the lower level areas and friends of mine who have been playing other games are starting to ask me about it more and more often.

Now we just need Sony to spend some money on ADVERTISING the hidden gem they've got on their hands.
  • InfernalSoulInfernalSoul Member Posts: 35
    I played EQ2 during Beta and from release to about 9 months after that. Now I am going back.
  • BeegsBeegs Member Posts: 107
    Id been hearing good things about EQ2 for a while and about 2 weeks ago decided to give it a go. Im very glad I did, its probably the best MMO ive played, and ive played damn near all of them. After playing WoW for so long its great to get back to a MMO that feels so complete and actually feels to me like a "proper" MMO. Its true part of the attraction, at least for me anyway, is the revisiting of the lore and places from all the good times back in EQ1 but id say for anyone theres a lot of fun to be had here.

The new Neriak is great, the graphics in general are incredible, the community is also worthy of note, ive been really impressed by this and, again, after so long playing WoW this is one of the things I really appreciate.

Its a damn shame the game isnt more popular, I guess the poor launch has a lot to do with this. SOE really should spend more time and money marketing this game as it deserves to be played by more people. Maybe theyll push the boat out with the Kunark expansion, fingers crossed...

r.i.p. c!

• ZsavoozZsavooz Member Posts: 532
    Originally posted by Beegs

Id been hearing good things about EQ2 for a while and about 2 weeks ago decided to give it a go. Im very glad I did, its probably the best MMO ive played, and ive played damn near all of them. After playing WoW for so long its great to get back to a MMO that feels so complete and actually feels to me like a "proper" MMO. Its true part of the attraction, at least for me anyway, is the revisiting of the lore and places from all the good times back in EQ1 but id say for anyone theres a lot of fun to be had here.

The new Neriak is great, the graphics in general are incredible, the community is also worthy of note, ive been really impressed by this and, again, after so long playing WoW this is one of the things I really appreciate.

Its a damn shame the game isnt more popular, I guess the poor launch has a lot to do with this. SOE really should spend more time and money marketing this game as it deserves to be played by more people. Maybe theyll push the boat out with the Kunark expansion, fingers crossed...
    I think SOE is trying to market this game with a new expansion coming next fall and Neriak released last week, I'd say they have  a lot of confidence in it. I also wish the launch had gone better but with WoW being released at the same time, it was just too much for SOE to deal with. I think it will continue to keeps its current subscriber base and with the failure of Vanguard and the WoW burnout factor, you might see EQ2's numbers grow, not that much, but enough to sustain it and continue to develop. LOTRO is a good alternative and that has kept me playing 80%, but I still play EQ2, just not as much.
  • DrFodDrFod Member Posts: 63
    I just had a rant in a thread in general discussion about Sony's marketing of EQ2.

No EoF boxes are to be found at all in the UK or Europe. Some ppl have found the odd one hidden in a game store somewhere but they are the lucky ones. EQ2 is easily SOE's best game but no new people are coming in purely because of the lack of boxes on shelves. Things might change with Kunark but that is over five months away.
  • OBK1OBK1 Member Posts: 637
    Originally posted by PerryPanther

I have been playing eq 2 since beta .... and i LOVE the game. The graphics are great gameplay is great. I wont leave eq2 for anything...... The only 2 mmo's i play is eq 2 and lotr which lotr is not bad but doesnt beat eq 2 .....So for all of you out there want a great game to play which has a MATURE community look no further than eq 2!

He, I bought a lifetime subscription for LOTRO but still I find myself coming back to  play EQ2 instead! The last week I have like 1 hour logged into Lotro but about 20 on EQ2! Something I have a hard time believing myself. The good thing with the lifetime sub in Lotro is that I don't have to fret over not playing all the time, I can take my time with that game and go there when I feel burnt out on EQ2, but at the moment EQ2 is hands down the best MMO out there.

It has a basic gameplay that is almost as easy to get into as WoW but with a huge amount of more depth and a lot  more content. This was not true at launch but now EQ2 is clearly the better game (comparing to WoW since it is the giant). I think the subscription numbers of EQ2 would now be huge had they not had such a poor launch, it was a comletely other game back then, as with VG goes to show how important the first impression is. Same with Lotro, good game, but shallow gameplay but with a polished and fraction free launch they get great press and lots of players.

However I do have the feeling that EQ2 is actually growing, slowly but steadily.

• CelestianCelestian Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

Originally posted by DrFod
    I just had a rant in a thread in general discussion about Sony's marketing of EQ2.No EoF boxes are to be found at all in the UK or Europe. Some ppl have found the odd one hidden in a game store somewhere but they are the lucky ones. EQ2 is easily SOE's best game but no new people are coming in purely because of the lack of boxes on shelves. Things might change with Kunark but that is over five months away.

I know a lot of players find games in stores but getting the game "online" now is on the upswing to steal the OPs term.

You can get the trial/buy the game all directly from www.everquest2.com I believe so there really is no need for a box. That said it could do nothing but help them to have it in some stores at least.

Sorry to hear about that, here in the USA you can find it though not as popular as other games on the shelves.

• CroseCrose Member Posts: 209
    For some reason, buying EoF via digital download doesn't come with the game, or any of the previous expansions.  It's the same price as the box, but after you buy the original EQ ($10) and both expansions ($15-20 each), it ends up being less than half the value.  Sadly, this means that unless someone has money to spare, they probably won't start playing the game unless they can get the box.

Maybe I'm just ignorant about game publishing, but doesn't Sony make MORE money when people buy digital download instead of the box?
  • arachnid69arachnid69 Member Posts: 6
    The Dell generation is OVER!

People are actually buying computers they can play this game on, lol.

All joking aside, I've played almost every MMO out there, but this is by far the one i've had the best memories with. The way the game is designed lends itself to a community thats works together and makes an experience like no other.

Honestly it's the only MMO where I actually feel like I am the character in the game, and I would factor this to it being in a real persistent world, not some instanced based game with an overworld mini-game.

Instances take away from the overall experience of an MMO imho, and unless it's free to play I don't think "Instances" and "MMO" should be used in the same sentence.

Everquest 2 is by far my favorite in the genre of the current crop, and I don't see it being toped for quite some time.
  • malzarmalzar Member Posts: 15
    I can't get hooked. I spent so much $$$ on this game and I never pass the lv 30. I don't know, it looks like i can't find my identity in that game. I always reroll. thinking about my time investment.

Right now playing LOTRO as well. My character feels more like I do play who I am. Each his own tastes
  • I just came back and am really enjoying it.  I do see alot more people talking in the lower level chat channels than there was 6 months ago.