Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is the game really that bad?

gingus418gingus418 Member Posts: 128
Hi,

I'm a big star wars fan, and wanted to try the game before the NGE when it was first released, but alas, I never did. Now all I hear about the game is that it's a ghost town, and that it is not as good as before the NGE. What are the opinions of the people currently playing? Should I try the game out? Is it worth my time? I'd appreciate it if the flamers didn't bother posting to this; it's a waste of your time. I would like some helpful info though. Thanks.

-gingus

Comments

• mpedersenmpedersen Member Posts: 40
    Originally posted by gingus418

Hi,

I'm a big star wars fan, and wanted to try the game before the NGE when it was first released, but alas, I never did. Now all I hear about the game is that it's a ghost town, and that it is not as good as before the NGE. What are the opinions of the people currently playing? Should I try the game out? Is it worth my time? I'd appreciate it if the flamers didn't bother posting to this; it's a waste of your time. I would like some helpful info though. Thanks.

-gingus
    I personally wouldn't bother playing (and I don't).  But if you really want to try it,  do yourself a favor and download the trial and see for yourself,  I imagine even in it's current state the game would appeal to some people.

You can download the the trial from http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com
  • mindspatmindspat Member Posts: 1,367

<Mod edit>
    From the above statement you can get a sense that the game was brought down to the most "dumbest" possible state. Since then the developers have been making headway with their reduced staffing. Instead of having 50 developers blind code 32+ professions you know have 10 (do not quote me on those numbers) working on 9 professions. The president of SOE "John Smedley" promissed their remaining community, ie paying subscribers, that "the game would be finished in 6 months".
    There has been several nge-combatUpgrades since and the game has actually taken closer to 17 months to get where it is today; Smedley was obviously mistaken.
    Is the game good? You should try it for yourself to see. Is it bad? Many people will tell it's the worst act of consumer fraud ever committed in terms of online gaming subscriptions.
    My opinion - the game controls and interface are horrible! The game does not play well. The graphics are Good although they are becoming dated. I can name a multitude of better MMO's then the current SWG. In all honestly, it's nearly impossible to make SWG any worse then what SOE/LA had done with the "new game enhancements".
    Try the game for the 10-14 day trial and work through it. Give it a good go. See how much you can make out of the game then come back and let everyone know what you're impressions as a new player were. We'd all be interested to hear them. ;)
    p.s. I think the game is very very poor.

• phosphorosphosphoros Member Posts: 512
    Originally posted by gingus418

Hi,

-gingus
    Not trying to be offensive with this post but don't ask about the game.  Just go and try it.  Bria is one of the fuller servers so that would be a good choice. 

Asking here about SWG is like asking the KKK about african americans.  Trust me, I'm one of the SOE/SWG/NGE haters.

While you'll get some people who are helpful and will give some opinions on the game, I just hate seeing people get flamed to hell and gone over SWG anymore.

But again, just get the trial and give the game a whirl.  It's the only way to know for sure if it's the game for you.

Good luck, but most importantly, have fun! 

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Give the trial a go (www.tryswg.com) and see for yourself :)

The game certainly isn't a ghost town, especially after the latest chapter.  Infact, bunches of servers are hitting Heavy loads now.  Of course, it depends on the server you pick, but Chilastra, Bria, Ahazi, Bloodfin & Chimaera (Euro server) are all good picks if you want high populations.

• starman999starman999 Member Posts: 1,232
    sneaky sneaky Obraik..............

Always listing your server first.

Critical thinking is a desire to seek, patience to doubt, fondness to meditate, slowness to assert, readiness to consider, carefulness to dispose and set in order; and hatred for every kind of imposture.

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Its not bad at all, the vets just don't like it because they pulled a "switch" and changed their game to something completely different so take what they say with a grain of salt. The game is a totally different version from what the vets played. The only thing that is the same is the skins.

The game has plenty to offer that most don't. It definate has server pop issues so stick with one of the fuller ones. It has an insane 25 servers. No MMO but WoW has that number or more not even LotRs, so pop problems are a given for an older game. FYI there were servers with pop issues before NGE.

The ONLY way you are going to get a decent opinion of this game is first: shut off these forums and second, try it yourself, there is a free trial. There is an endless circular flame war going on between the actual players and the vets for about 2 years now. (actually longer because the vets use to fight between themselves over the changes before the NGE)

• DarthMaulUKDarthMaulUK Member Posts: 296
    How many more threads must there be asking the same old questions?

get your 7 day FREE sub to SWTOR
    http://www.swtor.com/r/7DDKjQ

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220
    I took a chance and gave it a shot the other day.. big download (3-4 gigs or so) took a while, but I was pleasantly surprised, I expected a lame craptacular game based on what the vets whine about all the time everywhere..

But I found it fun, and a bit more complex than most of today's cookie cutter mmo's.  The combat is pretty standard, with  your typical mmo type of skill/class system..  But there seems to be a lot to do, and having played some 12 hours or so got me to about level 13 (without power grinding levels, just going through the missions).  The ship combat gives something different to do.

The server i picked was the bria one (i think its called.. something like that..), has heavy pop (saw another server with heavy, others were mostly medium)

I gather it would have been much better from what I hear about how it used to be, but it is still fun and I'll probably subscribe for a while.  It's certainly not the lame piece of shat that the vets make it out to be.

(On the other hand I think an update just recently came out that added some stuff?  Perhaps thats whats making it not be craptacular, I have no experience with pre whatever the patch was called)

Originally posted by DarthMaulUK

How many more threads must there be asking the same old questions?
    If the same questions didnt get recycled, what would there be to talk about once all the questions have been asked? 

• dongindongin Member Posts: 13

I played post NGE (one of my best MMO experiences) and resubscribed to see what the NGE would be like. While i didn´t like that they made Jedi as a choseable  class, i anyway found the game pretty decent except for the empty cities that was at that point. Don´t know if that is the case now. That and the fact that the servers were laggy like HELL made me once again unsubscribe. Mostly i had very very poor fps, not only in the cities. Maybe that has been fixed i don´t know.

I agree with many other people here, give it a go. That is the only way to find out if it is something for you.

• RainStarRainStar Member Posts: 638

Once the abadoned houses are gone and the cities lose ranks that will help.  Players will be able to start cities and established cities that are active will be able to go to the next rank.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    I tried SWG in Beta and thought the game was total crap. I didn't play even till the end of the Beta period because I thought the game was that bad. Recently I have returned however and now I find the game to be fun and enjoyable instead of the extreme exercise in frustration that it was before. I personally think that CU and the NGE was the best thing that could have happened to this game and I will be playing for some time to come. The fact that most of the screaming Ex-SWG SoE haters seem to miss is that the player base was already shrinking fast before the upgrades. SoE did what they felt was right to keep the game going and now it's finally paying off for them it just took time for the uproar to die down. I have yet to find an empty city and those that are claiming that are totally full of crap(The majority of them don't even play anymore so how would they know?). The best way for you to find out however is not to ask here but to sign up for the 14 day free trial.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• RainStarRainStar Member Posts: 638

The cities I see empty are player cities, not all but several.