Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To those NOT playing EVE, what ONE change would make you play?

1235»

Comments

• PrumbaPrumba Member UncommonPosts: 65
    Once avatars can leave their ships (and I've heard they are planning to do this), honest crackdown on cheating, shortened flight times and perhaps a graphics update I'd join in a heartbeat.
  • TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700
    Originally posted by brutotal

I've gone back and forth with Eve so your probably not looking for my opinion.

The problem I see in it is the waiting and the horrible interactive screensaver type combat. Make mining and combat  more then click on an object and wait, do something about flying across the region for an hour to get everything at a good price.

The second I didn't have a fear of losing in pvp I found that it was the same as mining. Warp in, activate devices and wait.
    LOL "didn't have to worry about losing in PVP"

If you honestly just warped in, activated a few modules and waited then I'd love to know your character name and killboard address.  Because I call  BS.  Anyone who does that is going to die... alot.  PVE... sure... PVP??? No way in hell.

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

• JADEDRAG0NJADEDRAG0N Member Posts: 733
    Originally posted by Prumba

Once avatars can leave their ships (and I've heard they are planning to do this), honest crackdown on cheating, shortened flight times and perhaps a graphics update I'd join in a heartbeat.
    Perhaps you should play eve to get some skills that way you will have some skills when it comes out
  • PrumbaPrumba Member UncommonPosts: 65
    Yes I was thinking of this. However I'm not ready to leave CoH. Although, EVE's skill system is great for a situation such as this. Perhaps when I'm ready to pay $30 a month on online games I will join.
  • wardog250wardog250 Member Posts: 249
    I played the game for over a year.  The two biggest grips I had with the game were the massive time sinks and the PvP.  I never thought it possible to make a game that actually pillaged a players time.  While you are busy sinking into the game, CCP is sinking into your wallet.  You have to wait years to compete with the veteran PvP'ers and from what I've seen in the game thats all there is left in the game.  No one likes being shoved out into a hail of gun fire against thier will.  The only fail safe for a growing player is to hide inside a space station for years while thier skills slowly ticked away...just thinking about that makes me depressed. 

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. - Galileo Galilei

• JADEDRAG0NJADEDRAG0N Member Posts: 733
    Originally posted by Prumba

Yes I was thinking of this. However I'm not ready to leave CoH. Although, EVE's skill system is great for a situation such as this. Perhaps when I'm ready to pay $30 a month on online games I will join.
    Good for you
  • DeadJesterDeadJester Member Posts: 499
    Originally posted by wardog250

I played the game for over a year.  The two biggest grips I had with the game were the massive time sinks and the PvP.  I never thought it possible to make a game that actually pillaged a players time.  While you are busy sinking into the game, CCP is sinking into your wallet.  You have to wait years to compete with the veteran PvP'ers and from what I've seen in the game thats all there is left in the game.  No one likes being shoved out into a hail of gun fire against thier will.  The only fail safe for a growing player is to hide inside a space station for years while thier skills slowly ticked away...just thinking about that makes me depressed. 
    alot of older games are this way if not PvP its the economy that the vets control in other games there needs to be a new server that comes out once a year for new players that allows you to transfer out of that server but not into a new one if you are a vet that way players can be  growing togeather .
  • crazyivencrazyiven Member Posts: 142
    Originally posted by Shexna

this is a movie from eve. its what they are working on atm.

http://www.tentonhammer.com/index.php?q=node/620 (Walk in stations)
     That is a cool clip, being a vet with E&B,

But with the rest talking about eve with a trial account.  With a trial account would would not have enough time to get into the game a be a part of the whole picture. There are so many ways to go within the eve world, pvp or not to pvp. its your choice, from mining, trading, manufacturing, to being a pirate. I do agree how the game starts off is crappy, feel they dont point you in the right direction. But If you are able to get into a good Corp and then that is when all the help starts. And yes the skills are a pain, but many times I have flowen with a younger player that helped lock down a target for me. So even the newest player has some point at what they can help at. And skills there are other skills and implants to speed up the learning times.

But what would have to change to get me back.....

Let me start by saying I'm a 3+ year vet of eve ( I am one of those old players) The thing that gets me Is my skills are all but maxed out for PVP, but i cant afford the bigger ships and mods. Due to the lottery of the tec2 gear. In all my years of playing and people I have played with did i have one friend get one.  They always seem to go to the big corps, or to a person that already had a few.  But with my line of work in eve (pirate) we are always being nerft due to the carebears  whinning.

So the market is to high

CCP is not waliking a stright line

and nerfs sux

eve was funner in the beging
  • KimoKimo Member UncommonPosts: 62
    PvE only server and I'll sign back up.
  • MylonMylon Member Posts: 975

The disconnect between advancement and involvement is too great.  Sure, I could run around and do some PvE missions, but what does it really earn me?  Money to buy all sorts of fun things I just can't use.  I still gotta wait a week before I can use that shiny new ship.  Not that it matters, since all it would do is let me earn enough money to get an even bigger ship that would collect even more dust in waiting.  I like that Eve let's people advance no matter how they play the game (that is, people are not forced to kill kill kill like most MMORPGs), but there's not enough incentive to really PvE.

This might have been fixed with revelations, but there also wasn't enough to do.  This is evident by the number of people that just wander around killing random players.  Why do they do it?  They have nothing better to do.  Sure, I can grind at an asteroid.  Or I can grind the same 10 missions over and over again.  Or I can do manufacturing, but skilling up so I'd make it profitable would mean those shiny ships would take even longer before I could pilot them.  Sorry, but I get bored quickly and I shift gears often.  I do have patience, just as long as I can distract myself in various ways while I wait.

This game is also not PUG friendly at all.  You want to set up shop in an alliances territory and see if they'll buy any of your wares?  You'll probably be shot on sight.  Want to garner a little rare ore and even sell it to to the alliance that controls the territory you're mining?  Likewise.  Want to group up with some random people to do some missions?  If they're not deathly afraid of you killing them, they might do the same to you.  I mean, what's the point of having no penalty for killing a gang member?  The amont of trust involved in this game to do anything makes having a good corporation a requirement.  And the number of good corporations is probably small compared to the number of corps out there.

• RollotamasiRollotamasi Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 898
    Originally posted by Kimo

PvE only server and I'll sign back up.
    /agreed

-Currently looking forward to FFXIV

-Currently playing EvE and Global Agenda

• derenekderenek Member Posts: 1

ok, Eve would be cool if it did a few things.

1. Let the character have more than one ship flying around. Being able to control fleets of ships would be much cooler than just one ship.

2. Allow the player to build colonies on planets. This would help alleviate a whole lot of the tedium of constantly mining; as planets would generate income over a period of time. Then allow players to upgrade their planetary colonies. Even if colonies are unfeasible, make the space stations more useful by allowing players not only to own them but give them strategic bonuses for owning them.

3. Re-tool the interface to allow for control of multiple ships at once. (if the devs have a hard time understanding how,take a look at the Homeworld series of games.)

4. Add in built in voicechat and make the chat window more quest/mission specific.

5. Add in some movies for mission statements/objectives. At least for story important ones, some animation in those things would make it much more engaging.

6. Make the NPC's interesting, give them personalities that you can see, and not just make them a tiny icon in some window.

7. Let players upload their own avatars, since all they are used for is chat identification anyways, that would allow players to post up their own pix instead of using the ugly avatars the face creation system allows for.

anyways, if anyone has questions about what I mean in any of these suggestions feel free to email me at [email protected]