Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To those NOT playing EVE, what ONE change would make you play?

raykorraykor Member UncommonPosts: 326

This is a question for people who have NEVER played EVE.  If you are browsing the EVE forums then you obviously have some interest in the game.  So, what ONE change would convince you to play the game?

(I would prefer to hear only from people who have never played the game, not from disgruntled vets looking for one change to resubscribe.  Thanks.)

Comments

• SylianSylian Member UncommonPosts: 65

Character avatars that let us walk on planet surfaces, building cities on planets etc. It would be awesome if eve online was more complex version of swg =P

• FafhredFafhred Member UncommonPosts: 34
    Well, this is not quite the answer you want, I bet:

I tried the evaluation.

The one thing that PREVENTED me actually becoming a player is the APALLING lack of support.

I mean, 2 weeks to get an answer...

Fix THAT, and you well get players...

Knowledge is Power, but Ignorance is often Death

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

Originally posted by raykor
    This is a question for people who have NEVER played EVE. If you are browsing the EVE forums then you obviously have some interest in the game. So, what ONE change would convince you to play the game?
    (I would prefer to hear only from people who have never played the game, not from disgruntled vets looking for one change to resubscribe. Thanks.)

Well, I played the trial once, but never subscrubed. I didn't like several things, but I will try and keep a short list.

I didn't like that I could never see my actual character; some sort of typical RPG movement inside spaceports would be cool, and give the place more realism for me.

I know it's critical to EVE, but the death penalty scared me a little. I died when a bunch of random players came and killed me outright (you might say, ganked me). I was new, and I few skills, and I didn't know how to fight well or what I should have done. I don't think I could have beated them anyway, but the fact that there is that sort of nasty, competitive PvP bothered me with that sort of death penalty. I do like the zone principle though, I like that there are places that are "policed" by NPCs, that was nice. However, I would have liked some sort of different zone PvP, whereby each zone had certain rules for players of each race. I forget race names now, so bear with me, but if one race controlled on sector, you couldn't be attacked in that sector if you were of that race, and likewise for other sectors and other races. And then you could add that one race could take over a sector by completing objectives, and then you cannot be attacked first in that area also, and cane move to adjacent sectors, because they would have become PvP sectors at that point. This way you could have a defined front of combat, and with all players knowing where the theatre of combat is, they can avoid it if they do not wish to PvP.

Travel time. I know, I know, it's space, and it's big. But I don't want to have to wait ten minutes to get where I am going. It does break immersion a little, but I like games like Guild Wars, where I can teleport to places I have already been. I have proven my ability to get there, so let me go there whenever I want and not have to walk back.

I think those are the big three things. What do you think about them?

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• RollotamasiRollotamasi Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 898
    What stops me from playing the game is that you can get your ass handed to you by a much higher lvl player and loose everything you worked hard for because of some asshat player.

-Currently looking forward to FFXIV

-Currently playing EvE and Global Agenda

• starman999starman999 Member Posts: 1,232
    Thats simple.............

Eve needs a ground game. A space sim is all well and good I mean I played earth and beyond for a while so I can see the attraction. However just like E&B Eve is too impersonal for an RPG. There needs to be avatar interaction to stimulate most players and EVE doesnt offer that. The idea of perpetually flying through space and seeing planets but never actually landing on them and walking around holds no interest for me.

If you could mix classic SWG ground game with EVE space instead of JTL which was horrible I think EVE could be massively popular.

Critical thinking is a desire to seek, patience to doubt, fondness to meditate, slowness to assert, readiness to consider, carefulness to dispose and set in order; and hatred for every kind of imposture.

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    Originally posted by raykor

This is a question for people who have NEVER played EVE.  If you are browsing the EVE forums then you obviously have some interest in the game.  So, what ONE change would convince you to play the game?
    (I would prefer to hear only from people who have never played the game, not from disgruntled vets looking for one change to resubscribe.  Thanks.)
    I've been planning to sign up for a while. The problem is the past few weekends and the next few weekends are busy. So it's hard to decide when to start the 2 week trial so I can play over both weekends.

For the game itself, well I asked if the game was for me and one person warned me it was ruthless. I mean very cut throat. If someone wants you dead, you'll be dead sooner or later. No zone is totally safe. It's possible to be scammed/cheated. The penalty for dying is heavy. And so on. But part of the appeal of the game is that it is ruthless. I'm just a bit skittish about leaving my comfort zone. Most of it needs to be there to preserve the nature of the game itself. If there's no serious death penalty then there's no demand for new products and the economy collaspes.

But if I had to change ONE the game itself to help out, I'd fix the outright cheating and favoritism I've read about here. I don't know how much of it is true, but there's so much I can't believe all of it is false.

I don't think that should count though because stuff like that shouldn't happen in the first place.

To help the game, I'd lighten the death penalty slightly. You still loose your ship and cargo. If you get podkilled you still loose your cybernetics. But you don't loose your skill points and you get automatic insurance to help you get back on your feet. Not too much help but some and you can buy more to help more.

If I had to pick a second thing, I'd expand the security zones, or at least better enforce the 1.0 areas to prevent kamakize ganking. That way players who don't want to do PvP still have a safe zone to play. On the other hand, it would allow bots to mine or do whatever without fear of being trashed by a real person.
  • zoldar57zoldar57 Member Posts: 19
    I don't think people who haven't played the game can be in a position to change something. Maybe that question should be addressed to people who have tried the game and stopped. Why did they not continue and what should change in the game in order for them to give it another try.

just my 2c
  • hbosmanhbosman Member Posts: 107

I have played eve for 3 months. While it is a good game, I missed an Avatar, something to relate to. And the other thing is, everything can be lost. As a casual player I hate loosing everything that I had worked on in a blink. There are too many campers at 0.4 gates ready to kill everybody who is low enough. Thats just not my idea of fun.

So, what do I think should be changed? Dead penalties for PVP. I don't want to PVP, but I can't explore the galaxy without being killed 10000 times. I felt I was a prisoner within the safe areas (0.5 and higher). 

• KeoghKeogh Member Posts: 1,099

Never finished the tutorial.

1. The game is overly complex.
    2. The tutorial is boring.
    3. The UI is awful.
    4. Devs are unprofessional, playing and cheating in this competitive PvP game they control all aspects of.

Fix that.

"Don't corpse-camp that idea. Its never gonna rez"
    Bladezz (The Guild)

• WarblazeWarblaze Member UncommonPosts: 178
    A avatar to walk around with on space stations or something like that.... i simply can't identify myself with a ship alone.
  • JADEDRAG0NJADEDRAG0N Member Posts: 733

Well ive got some good neews for most of you then. Late this year to earlynext year eve is getting indervidual player avitars that can walk and stuff. To begine with they will operate in the stations only. But it has been hintedthat planetry interaction will be involved later on.

Also City building and planet terraforming is definatly planned some time later. Some of this stuff is a while away but this is stuff the devs have confirmed thay are going to put into eve.

• JowenJowen Member Posts: 326
    Originally posted by bongo123

I played the tutorial through then unsubscribed simply because the game wasnt fun, i loved the intro story, i still think its a fantastic story, told really well but once into the game i was left with no clue what to do where to go. Yes you hardcore players hate hand holding and you come of with "you can do whatever you want in eve" but to someone coming into the game as a newb all you find is an over complicated, fairly bland looking stat/skill heavy game with a pretty elistist community who somehow find it fun clicking on gates to travel then clicking on little spaceships/asteroids and letting the computer take over... i mean wheres the fun in that? why cant i land in the station get out and walk around, why cant there be some sort of random planet/terrain routine so that i can vist planets, why isnt there story quests, heck why isnt there something that can get you into the game other than that horrible tutorial!? i would love to like eve as im a sci-fi fan but as it stands, its a complete bore to me.
    Some people do not like to play with dolls or to be guided by the hand.

Those people tend to enjoy EVE.
  • MarLMarL Member UncommonPosts: 606
    I dont like space...make it on land and i would play...lol

Own, Mine, Defend, Attack, 24/7

• ArleonenisArleonenis Member Posts: 69

I was playing eve actively for over two years than not actively for another year than i quitted... problem was training times and time sinks, if i want to play i want to log in and play not to wait. Flying times are already big enough time sinks imho, sky rocketing prices on market make things even worse becouse eve world is dangerouse enough that no matter what you do you can loose ship you fly with entire setup + implants and 60m for new clone, half billion for half decent setup is slightly insane if this setup can get to hell in pieces on next gate you cross... (especially funny part is that deep alliance 0.0 is much safer than empire 0.1-0.4)

But the thing that really turned me out was skill training times, they increase it all the time and release another "must have" skills often enough so with each such release i feel like im back to step one and step two is growing bigger. I understand that it takes time to achieve something but with 50m SP char i still felt like underskilled dog... becouse next level of this skill take 2 months that one a month and another 6 weeks... and there is like 100 other skills waiting behind them... so for me this game lost sense of achievement, especially becouse im mostly pve oriented and i dont like pvp to much, no true pve fun lefted, only pvp...

And here enters constant rebalance made by ccp "twice a month"TM. Almost every game that do major rebalance allow players free respec so if they build was made completly uneffective they can get other one... not so in eve, your skills that you spended months after months training becoming close to useless in hours really piss off if it dont come with respec and in ccp history there were never respec. So not only you have months after months of skill wasted you also must strugle with your entire ship + setup reither than with enemy... who is worst enemy? the one that fire on you or this ship you in that perform like a trashcan?

and in pvp there isnt really big achievements too, you can kill this player dozen of times and if he is "ebay pvp`er" he will keep coming, you cant really win a war, you can destroy enemy infrastructure like outposts but his forces will still be there, he will not lose much but after your victory he will gain mobility so is this really victory? You can try to conquer constelations but even with 23/7 patrols enemy can sneak in and make your life "interesting like in this old chinese saying", you cant build defences at gates that are able to stop small forces incursions. So what the point to pvp? pvp just for sake of pvp? only way for me to pvp is if i see sense in such action, if i dont see any i ignore pvp part of game, if have less fun than chopping out wood for me

(sorry for bad english its not my native language)

• deplorabledeplorable Member Posts: 418

didn't even make it through the tutorial.

Not the fact it almost sent me to sleep, or that the voice was being to grate me, nor was it because of the complicatedness (i actually liked that) of the game.

It was simply because it wasn't HELPFUL at all, half the time it told you to do stuff that had obviously been changed around and you couldn't find it in that heading. Rather than simlify things it made your life harder... the tutorial was a ugh. i didn't make it through it... surprisingly i did play for 10 mins after cancelling it; had much more fun.

But then the call of better games came knocking and i answered, never to touch the trial again.

• shaeshae Member Posts: 2,509

I've tried to get into Eve a number of times, only to never be able to connect with it. I had an ex that would bager me constantly to play but even with him peering over my shoulder I felt the game lacked anything to genuinely pull me in.

There is a heavy disconnect between player and game, there's no persona behind the universe and everything seems very cold and harsh. I realize that's part of the game and universe and it's not meant to be a warm, fluffy, everyone hug each other play time type of idea. Which isn't what I would change of course, there just isn't much surface substance to the game.

What change would get it to stick for me? A highly customized avatar creation system would be a start, something I could relate too instead of "just" a machine flying around in the black but obviously just an avatar that walks around (wherever) is just as useless as not having one in the first place. Some in depth, out of ship, content is needed. Something like space station constructions, people being able to own a shop, help in the construction process, work in a club, be an entertainer, just random completely time wasting stuff but all things that make you connect with the world around you and not just view it through thte pit of a ship.

• tikitiki Member Posts: 395

adding a few planets to let ur avatar play would make it a lot better

East Carolina University, Computer Science BS, 2011
    --------------------
    Current game: DAOC

Games played and quit: L2, PlanetSide, RF Online, GuildWars, SWG, COH/COV, Vanguard, LOTRO, WoW, WW2 Online, FFXI, Auto-Assault, EVE Online, ShadowBane, RYL, Rappelz, Last Chaos, Myst Online, POTBS, EQ2, Warhammer Online, AoC, Aion, Champions Online, Star Trek Online, Allods, Darkfall.

Waiting on: Earthrise

Names: Citio, Goldie, Sportacus

• ProdudeProdude Member Posts: 353

I'm another that played the trial but never subscribed.

At first it was interesting and I enjoyed going through the tutorial.

I didn't chat much but watched the 'few' others, mostly experienced players, have very short discussions.

Several times I came to an impasse and just could not figure out what I was supposed to do. I ask questions and did receive responses after several minutes. Brief as they where they usually came from 1 of 2 other players.

Moving out to explore, I found the graphics stunning. I really did seem like you where out in space. Started to mine for currency and building parts to enhance my ship. Upgraded original and purchased upgrades several times.

Ok, basic idea where I got to. Problem I encountered that keep me from subscribing?

Too slow...Going though the Star Gates is like an eternity, too slow...=Mining enough to accomplish my goals, too slow...=Waiting for a response when asking a question, too slow and usually not really addressed properly...if I ask too many too often, Silence.

So, the time sink creating the lack of activity just didn't set well. 

• ShexnaShexna Member Posts: 3
    this is a movie from eve. its what they are working on atm.

http://www.tentonhammer.com/index.php?q=node/620 (Walk in stations)
  • ConkerturdConkerturd Member Posts: 14
    It's simple for me.  I tried it and found that just flying around in your spaceship wasn't enough.  I missed the ground game that most other games offer.  If they somehow implemented a character that walked around and did quests/missions on some of the planets I might  enjoy the game.  Similar to SWG, they've got the ground game and the flying game.  I don't care for the game, but I like the concept....
  • OBK1OBK1 Member Posts: 637

Two changes actually:

1. Planets and avatars on ground, leveling on ground as well aka SWG.

2. Freelancer style space combat and movement, but with RPG-rules - that is stat based combat but more action than now.

• deplorabledeplorable Member Posts: 418
  • GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323
    Honestly there is nothing they could change that would make me want to play it. I just dont find the game to be enjoyable. It is very slow and boring. Also the game is run by people that treat it more like an elitist boys club than a business. Im all set with EVE. Glad other people enjoy it though.
  • severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516
    Originally the idea of avatars and the like would have drawn me into the game.  However with the number of accounts running around concerning the cheating by ccp employees has completely turned me off from eve, and even from the forthcoming white wolf game.  Which I had been really looking forward to.
  • JADEDRAG0NJADEDRAG0N Member Posts: 733
    Originally posted by GreenHell

Honestly there is nothing they could change that would make me want to play it. I just dont find the game to be enjoyable. It is very slow and boring. Also the game is run by people that treat it more like an elitist boys club than a business. Im all set with EVE. Glad other people enjoy it though.

I wish there were more people like you. Much better than what some EvE dislikers say.

And i do agree the community can be a bit Elitest at times. Thankfully tho if you can get past the learning curve and get into a good corp EvE is chock a block full of stuff to do.