Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hmm Impressions of the Trial since the new patch...

Ok i've been playing mmorpgs since 2000 then took a break until something good come out in 2003, i skipped DAOC totally. So i tried the game a few months ago and i thought the UI and the character movement and the whole noob area was really poor for today. I saw the new patch expecting there to be some improvements on the UI however it's still pretty bad.

I can live with the UI and the noob starter zone however i can't live with the chracter movement it's just not fluid enough like SWG or EQ2 or WOW is and it's a pain to control my character. I know veteran players wont notice but for me it's such a game breaker...

Anyways just dropping my opinion.

-----------------------------

SWG - PrePub9 Jedi mastered all professions - June 26th 2003 > Nov 15th 2005
EVE Online - 24 million SP - May 6th 2003 > Early 2005
PlanetSide - BR20 CR5 - May 23rd 2003 > Sept 2003

Comments

• CalamonCalamon Member Posts: 6

mouse movement standardization in new patch kicked it up me, got used to it in last mmo I played.  Icons I could care less about and after awhile, who even realizes how things look anymore, you get used to it and then play  the game.  Movement? *shrug* do you sit at your computer all gaming session just staring at your movement animation? I'm looking at everything else but

• WerppaWerppa Member Posts: 211
    Originally posted by Calamon

mouse movement standardization in new patch kicked it up me, got used to it in last mmo I played.  Icons I could care less about and after awhile, who even realizes how things look anymore, you get used to it and then play  the game.  Movement? *shrug* do you sit at your computer all gaming session just staring at your movement animation?

Yeh, I can't understand it either... So the game sucks because the movement animation isn't like in WoW and EQ, who cares? it seems that he doesn't like the game and is using movement animation as a good excuse

Just a thought

"I actually cook my meat with nothing but my burning hatred for vegetables"

• BigfootBigfoot Member Posts: 364
    Newbie areas used to be a lot worse.  You had starting areas based on your race, and some were very far away from the main city.

Heading straight into the catacombs as a low lvl is probably the best place to go for lvling.  Tons of quests.

Looking for something new.

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

Well it does have some effect on gameplay unless you are really used to it.. for instance the way sometimes you are stopped, but the engine still tells you you moved so canceled your ability.. things like that aren't smooth and make a difference (least until you get used to it and don't notice anymore)

• Publish6246Publish6246 Member Posts: 346

I tried playing a troll and i noticed that it tells you that your too far away even though your standing next to them, you have to stand right on top of them lol. Also i just found the hotkey bar to be very weird, didn't understand why it was hidden vertically on the top left with only a few bars.

However i love all the artwork on the main site, that makes me want to play.

-----------------------------

SWG - PrePub9 Jedi mastered all professions - June 26th 2003 > Nov 15th 2005
    EVE Online - 24 million SP - May 6th 2003 > Early 2005
    PlanetSide - BR20 CR5 - May 23rd 2003 > Sept 2003

you can change whether the hotbars are horizontally or vertically btw... And the LOS issues are still there in some places, especially in task dungeons

• BigfootBigfoot Member Posts: 364
    Originally posted by Werppa

you can change whether the hotbars are horizontally or vertically btw... And the LOS issues are still there in some places, especially in task dungeons
    *looks straight at goblin*

*casts a spell*

Target is not in view!

Especially happens in hallways lol.

Looking for something new.

Originally posted by Bigfoot

Originally posted by Werppa

*looks straight at goblin*

*casts a spell*

Target is not in view!

Especially happens in hallways lol.

Aye, I hate that. doesn't really matter if I'm playing a tank but really sucks while playing a caster

• tylerwicktylerwick Member Posts: 446

My pigest problem with this game is the line of site issue, Ill agree.

Im a caster....

"Target is not in view", move a little closer and maybe a little angle.... "Target not in view", Move closer...  AHHH TOO CLOSE! Ambush.. dead..

• DrenethDreneth Member Posts: 697
    I don't know what issues you have with LOS...  I rarely have an LOS issue that wasn't actually my own fault.  Whether on my ranger, chanter, or any of the other char's I have.  Things seem to be working ok for me.

- - - -
    Support Independent Game Developers

• AdythielAdythiel Member Posts: 726
    I actually like the LOS in DAoC. They changed how it worked back a few years ago because it was easily exploitable during keep raids. It gave a huge advantage to certain classes. The change was a good one overall, but did have some issues with PvE areas and dungeons (not all dungeons in DAoC are PvE).

• DrAtomicDrAtomic Member Posts: 281
    Originally posted by Publish6246

Ok i've been playing mmorpgs since 2000 then took a break until something good come out in 2003, i skipped DAOC totally. So i tried the game a few months ago and i thought the UI and the character movement and the whole noob area was really poor for today. I saw the new patch expecting there to be some improvements on the UI however it's still pretty bad.

I can live with the UI and the noob starter zone however i can't live with the chracter movement it's just not fluid enough like SWG or EQ2 or WOW is and it's a pain to control my character. I know veteran players wont notice but for me it's such a game breaker...

Anyways just dropping my opinion.

Word of advice: bite through these little things, maybe try Hibernia instead of Midgard (I feel movement on celts is a lot better), but stick with it till you are able to hit the busy battlegrounds. They will give you a little bit of a feel of how big boy (end game) RvR will be like.

I played on the US servers from the EU had a lot of good friends leave and found my timezone to become too quiet plus my addiction level too high so decided to take a prolonged break and try something else (EvE Online) for a bit. Been almost a year now since I canceled and boy do I still miss DAOC RvR almost on a daily basis. It's just THAT good. It's actually that good that I'm trying to prevent my self from reactivating because I know for a fact that once I do I'll be playing 16 hours a day again.

Bottomline, you've missed one hell of a gem, stick with it through the earlier parts and love the later parts!

• spraguepspraguep Member Posts: 61
    The default controls are not as fluid or intuitive as other games for sure. However you can customize all of them.

There are a lot of quirks that you need to realize to be effective. One of them is that when you stop there is a 1 second lag where the server thinks you are moving and it prevents you from casting a spell. You can get around this by doing /face on your target. Under keyboard options you can bind the /face command to a mouse button. Do this for RvR; every caster, healer etc must do this. /face allows you to instantly stop and begin casting a spell.

I also bind /stick to my middle mouse button; this is used a lot.

Camera controls can be annoying, you really need to play with the Keyboard screen and bind everything the way you want it. You can do this in game from the command window.

I have right click and hold as mouse look mode. There is also a mouse look toggle command, i used to be M but now that's Map, they don't have a default binding for it anymore. It allows you to always be in mouse look mode, then you would right click and hold to use the curosr, this is very handy way to play because you have to be in mouse look mode to use things like /face and /stick when they are bound to mouse buttons.

Being able to pan your camera is also important, I have this on my left mouse button. And I have the reset bound to the ~ key. This allows my to quickly reset my camera to the default position.

You can set the default camera position by simply positioning the camera, angle, zoom how you want then type /setcamera and the current camera state will be saved as the default.

Daoc is all about macros and slash command. Its user interface sucks and always has; mostly because it was design after or based on MUDs, so the interface isn't as smooth as other games.

Just consider the idea of the /use and /use2 commands, totally idiotic. Now you can drag icons off the info window but for years that wasn't even an option. The UI is in the stone age. Hell it took me 15 minutes to figure out how to get on my horse when i came back from playing wow.

But once you figure it all out it's not hard and it becomes very easy to manage if you take the time to customize it. If you don't you'll just fight with it.
    the default for /face is "F" -button and /stick is "E" -button, I find them easy enough

• SinkaelSinkael Member UncommonPosts: 68
    You are absolutely correct, the controls are not as fluid in this game as others today. Of course, this could be because the game came out in the UO/AO/EQ1 days and not the WoW/EQ2/SWG days.

When you consider the age of the game, it is doing damn good in the UI/Graphics/Movement department. At least thats my opinion.
  • xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    Originally posted by Bigfoot

Newbie areas used to be a lot worse.  You had starting areas based on your race, and some were very far away from the main city.

Heading straight into the catacombs as a low lvl is probably the best place to go for lvling.  Tons of quests.
    I remember having a new character in Hibernia Connia(Lurikeen) and Midgard Ft.Alta

(kobold). Those were long journeys just to get to Tir'Na'Nog or Jordheim back in the day.

The OP is just giving a excuse as to why he doesnt like the game. I have no issue with the movement. He probably made it to thid and got rolled by a 8x. Unlike SWG or WOW you die alot quicker.
  • daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695
    If you are still in the trial, I recommend you follow some of the advice above about getting they keyboard setup so things work well for you.  Second, if you like WoW, I suggest you look at this Bob's UI discussion, and d/l his UI mod which allows you to set up DAOC very similar to WoW.  Lastly, of all the characters, Trolls have about the worst movement IMO.  Maybe try out a Norse or Kobold next time.  For that matter, forget Mid all together and try out Alb or Hib.
  • goingwyldegoingwylde Member Posts: 141
    I agree with the poster that started this forum.  UI and combat mechanics are the basis of every MMORPG, if they're not tight and responsive everything that comes after, graphics, sound, story, quests, etc. really dont matter.  I tried the trial version as well, several years after launch, and had the same problems.  This is the same reason I've never liked many of the modern Korean MMORPGs because of the lack of WASD and collision detection.  The poster who said its mainly an age issue from the release date of the game has a very good point, but I still dont think I should have to devote that much time to the interface to make a game playable straight out of the box.  Thats the developer's job, not mine.  If I do decide to try DAoC again, I'll definitely pay attention to the above posts.  Many good ideas about how to mod out the UI and make it more effective.