Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

re: The UI; Crap is polite.

CmdrTallenCmdrTallen Member Posts: 5
So I went and downloaded the game (free, download is a torrent about 900mb), and then created an account (also free) and then after installing all the 'patches' to get up to the latest version I logged in and setup an account.

I picked the human like species and then a soldier as the class and poof landed on some beach.

The UI is horrible, HORRIBLE, lets all say it together now - HORRIBLE!

Take the streamline easy approach that WoW, GW and CoH/CoV has and then compare to something like this, its just bad i say - should not have to read docs on how to use the UI - should be straightforward enough for any seasoned gamer.

Anyhow thats my $.03 cents, YMMV and IMHO.

Comments

• xephonicsxephonics Member UncommonPosts: 672
    i dont really get what your complaining about, it was my 2nd or 3rd mmo, and i got the grasp pretty quickly...

after leaving it and coming back several time i dont see how the ui is much worse than any of them out there.

My god has horns.... nah, I don't think he is real either.

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    Dude the game is 6 years old lol.  Not sure what you were expecting.
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • CmdrTallenCmdrTallen Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by achesoma

Dude the game is 6 years old lol.  Not sure what you were expecting.
    Oh, well that explains that, I didnt know it was that dated.

Ah well...
  • WindlionWindlion Member UncommonPosts: 53

The ui is fine they way it is, I do admit it does look very complicated at first, but it takes time to learn things, most likey ao is not for you, but I have seen worst uis out there it took me awhile to learn everything.

• JayBirdzJayBirdz Member Posts: 1,017
    Originally posted by Windlion

The ui is fine they way it is, I do admit it does look very complicated at first, but it takes time to learn things, most likey ao is not for you, but I have seen worst uis out there it took me awhile to learn everything.

I couldn't agree more with this comment for the most part.      With the complexity of the game and the many unique features AO has , I think they have done a decent job with the UI.  My only 2 gripes were ,  The number of tool bars (the next decent update they are addressing this finally), and not being able to see your targets buffs ( mainly for pvp purposes).   Tho , I don't play anymore.   AO has done alot of things right and unique for the most part compared to the current market. 

If the UI gets to you and you like a more simply playstyle,  then maybe Ao isn't for you because it simply just gets more complex as you lvl.    And tbh your  first year of playing you will be doing nothing but reading guides and how too's 50% of the time.   Thats Ao's strongest attraction to me.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by CmdrTallen

Take the streamline easy approach that WoW, GW and CoH/CoV has and then compare to something like this, its just bad i say - should not have to read docs on how to use the UI - should be straightforward enough for any seasoned gamer.

Funny, I never needed to read a document or guide to understand the gui at all. It's pretty self explainatory. Guess I'm just more seasoned.
  • WellesWelles Member Posts: 66

In the next patch they will redo the gui to add multiple hotbars 17.4

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316
    I agree UI is not the best, but there is many skins out there made by players that change the UI to something much more user friendly.
  • Wardz7Wardz7 Member Posts: 8
    i <3 this game- tried to leave it alone but it keeps calling me back......