Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Update from CCP

adriaansadriaans Member Posts: 125
Update on investigation into allegations of misconduct

reported by: CCP Arkanon | 2007.05.27 18:03:15

We are proceeding with our investigations into the four allegations brought to our attention - alleged misconduct on the part of two developers in separate incidents, removal of a volunteer from the program and bias within the event team concerning an event arc, the last an incident which has already been investigated in the past.

While we are not able to address all four incidents in this announcement, I would like to take the opportunity to report the results of one investigation, CCP Sharkbait joining a player corporation.

In the past, CCP Sharkbait has joined player corporations when CCP has been petitioned with issues and specific case bug reports. In these rare instances, he has joined the corporation, verified information not available through the server interface and removed himself from the corporation. His departure from the corporation leaves an eve-mail in the CEO's inbox, thus showing his presence in the corporation for a short time.

This instance was brought about as the result of a player-submitted petition. Sharkbait joined the corporation to investigate and resolve an issue reported by a member of the corporation in question. While the method may be viewed as unorthodox, the information gained is vital to the continued QA effort and enjoyment of EVE by the corporation in question. Our investigation shows Sharkbait was not involved in any malicious or nefarious actions requiring administrative action.

We will continue to post updates on the status of the other investigation when information is available. We will also announce our findings when they have been completed.

CCP Arkanon

UPDATE: For further clarification, the petition (Petition #631627) which prompted CCP Sharkbait to join the corporation was created on the 6th of May. Note that our policies prohibit us from releasing details of the petition, as well as who filed it. After GMs were unable to fix the issue, an email was sent out asking for developer help. CCP Sharkbait reported the matter as resolved the same day, on the 9th of May.

CCP Arkanon!

copy from ingame news

Knowledge is Power!

Comments

• Lord_StealthLord_Stealth Member Posts: 46
    interesting wonder what exactly are the other 3 parts to the scandal?

as a former POS operator if a tower is owned by player in actuality of the game the corp owns it and ot get access the gm would need access (maybe -not sure) and if the bug involved fuel the fuel is low warning evemails only go to ceo/directors

and if the player didnt tell his leadership about the petition they might not know of it-tho you would think they would ask the player

HOWEVER the GM err'ed by not sending out a corp evemail  fyi'ing his activity as any1 in certain leadership roles would see his audit trail like the gm XX just joined our corp
  • blackcat35blackcat35 Member Posts: 479
    Originally posted by Lord_Stealth

interesting wonder what exactly are the other 3 parts to the scandal?

as a former POS operator if a tower is owned by player in actuality of the game the corp owns it and ot get access the gm would need access (maybe -not sure) and if the bug involved fuel the fuel is low warning evemails only go to ceo/directors

and if the player didnt tell his leadership about the petition they might not know of it-tho you would think they would ask the player

HOWEVER the GM err'ed by not sending out a corp evemail  fyi'ing his activity as any1 in certain leadership roles would see his audit trail like the gm XX just joined our corp

I think the biggest one is removing the volunteer:  BOD (band of developers) being able to contact a GM thru MSN to ban this volunteer.  It shows that BOD is in pretty much constant contact of Dev's (not just GM's), and that what they want they pretty much get.  On top of this is the fact that this volunteer is so upset he admits to knowing other incidents that showed CCP corruption, but he kept his mouth shut because he was addicted, and was not paying to play.

I feel vindicated and BOB will forever be called BOD from me, as their corruption with the Dev's is legendary.

==========================
    The game is dead not, this game is good we make it and Romania Tv give it 5 goat heads, this is good rating for game.

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

just a little point the new's waz adited on more time

EDIT: For further clarification, the petition (Petition #631627) which prompted CCP Sharkbait to join the corporation was created on the 6th of May. After GMs were unable to fix the issue, an email was sent out asking for developer help. CCP Sharkbait reported the matter as resolved the same day, on the 9th of May.!

BestSigEver :P

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Convenient for CCP that they are so serious about sticking to their policy of not identifying the petitioner, actually it's more hypocritical in my opinion. Also strange how the ISD guy will name names specific events and people who witnessed it but CCP don't have squat except "We can't tell you our witness because we stick to rules and regulations around here".

They're doing further investigation means thet they're trying to hammer together a cover story, but since all those names are out and there are witnesses they'll have to make some kind of minimal admission and find a sacrifical lamb. Those DEVs at CCP are so low I wouldn't p*** on one if he was burning alive and begging for help.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• CiredricCiredric Member Posts: 723

Good!, all you whiners cancel.  Eve is a good game and the less whiners we have the better!

Everyone of those issues in that letter has falsified information added by the goons.

The only issue here is the goons harrassment of the rest of the playerbase.  CCP should act and ban the lot of them.

Oh why is it odd that CCP never mentions names other than the developers.  Because it legally cannot.   You ever see another MMO do that, no.  The entire industry knows that is a no no.  Pretty obvious fact if you now anything about the industry.

• SWGLoverSWGLover Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 539

np, we're cancelling or have already cancelled. By the thousands.

This game doesn't have that many subscribers that it can take hits like this and do well.

Not to mention the permanent black eye that CCP is getting involving it's lack of ethics. Word of mouth is killing them in forums everywhere.

The fanboi's will try to laugh this one off, but beleive me - the DEV's are sweating right now. They've screwed up, and they know it.

• HillbillyDenHillbillyDen Member Posts: 8

The biggest point in all this is not the current idiocy, not the one before that, nor the one before THAT,

but the mere fact that DEVS in the single server game have long standing and good relations/friendships and even charracters in a huge game shaking Alliance.

End of story.

• PnHobbitPnHobbit Member CommonPosts: 195
    Wrong, no one cares if you leave. EVE is on steady ground and as much as you'd like to think leaving will hurt them it won't. You can try to argue otherwise but see what you think when EVE is still going 5+ years from now. When the game goes under because of all you whiners leaving then feel free to rub it in my face.
  • rshandlonrshandlon Member Posts: 173
    CCP is at a crucial time, many other games are coming out with pvp whether its fantasy or scifi, and they cannot take the hits they have been taking lately and survive.  I do believe they will be around for quite awhile, but if they don't handle the rampant dev involvement into player affairs then they will only be a shadow of what they could do and no matter what they try, the blackmark will always be there.  I have been tempted many times to come back, but everytime I start to another scandal comes to light and I back away like they have the plague.

I know alot of the scandals would never influence my play, but it is the fact that it is going on and that the ones benefiting it are the ones ruling the game and making the economy what they want it to be.  You can't enjoy a game knowing that you will NEVER be able to get anywhere on your own or with a small group of friends due to the cheating going on.
  • HillbillyDenHillbillyDen Member Posts: 8

Nope.

Word of mouth is huge in the gaming community, and people have been hearing this sort of assinineness for a while now.

CCP = "oh yeah, that space game where the DEVS cheat"

Just give it a little while, and another one will pop up, etc etc add nauseaum.

Oh and in a Semi-related matter: The Goons, if they truly were pissed, need to cancell all their accounts, just like I did.

ALL of them, put their money where their mouth is, so to speak.

• ladyattisladyattis Member Posts: 1,273

Den, it's because they love the game. They just want the GMs to stay out of it. It's no fun when your opponent created the game, therefore you stand no chance to win (no matter how many ships you have, or how well coordinated and etc).

Keep the GM's out of the game, institute a third party Q/A system to resolve in-game issues, and hire a better HR department head. And other suggestions any common sense person would provide, geez, please lets not damn the product or the designers.

-- Brede

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by PnHobbit

Wrong, no one cares if you leave. EVE is on steady ground and as much as you'd like to think leaving will hurt them it won't. You can try to argue otherwise but see what you think when EVE is still going 5+ years from now. When the game goes under because of all you whiners leaving then feel free to rub it in my face.

Wow you sound just like the VG fanbois. You know the ones, "what you played WoW? get out of our game we don't want you here!" or "what your computer only meets the suggested requirements and your having problems? get out of here VG doesn't need you!"

Strangely enough VG has now a bare bones player base and had to be sold as it couldn't support itself. Guess what genus tell all the players that are tired of GM/Dev favoritizm and out right cheating (T20) to leave the game. Go ahead say anyone at all that questions anything must be a goon, and the game won't be doing as well. There won't be as much money to pay the devs, to work on new expansions etc. With many new Sci-Fi games coming out Eve is no longer the only choice and sure enough keep up your elitist arrogance and it won't be much of any choice.

Strange how many people complain of not enough players in Eve to begin with that players would actually try and drive people away form playing or even trying the game

• khaibitkhaibit Member Posts: 16

Originally posted by Ciredric

Good!, all you whiners cancel.  Eve is a good game and the less whiners we have the better!
    Everyone of those issues in that letter has falsified information added by the goons.
    The only issue here is the goons harrassment of the rest of the playerbase.  CCP should act and ban the lot of them.
    Oh why is it odd that CCP never mentions names other than the developers.  Because it legally cannot.   You ever see another MMO do that, no.  The entire industry knows that is a no no.  Pretty obvious fact if you now anything about the industry.

See, it's when I see posts like this that I really do want to leave Eve. Is what Goons did stupid? Sure, but if you think that the Goons idiocy is the real issue here you are severely deluded. I do believe that Eve is a fantastic game and nothing like it has ever been done, but like I said in the other thread, if things are not investigated properly I will be leaving, and I know a large amount of people who will also be leaving. It's not an isolated few incidents of people leaving, this is a very bad time for something like this to hit CCP, with what looks like a whole bunch of good MMO's just around the corner.

Why do some many Eve fans have a problem with this? It just boggles the mind that these people would call paying customers wanting to ensure they receive a good product "whiners".

So far, I am less than impressed with the investigation, but we'll see what happens. I can understand them legally not being allowed to reveal certain elements, but the generalised, completely empty news on Sharkbait's joining and making himself director is just too weak. What was he doing? Why did he need to be made director? Why was the leadership not informed of this?

• RecantRecant Member UncommonPosts: 1,586

Oh noes its another conspiracy!  You'd better quit now... quickly, all of you must transfer all your ISK to me.  No time to ask questions, theyre watching us.

Still waiting for your Holy Grail MMORPG? Interesting...

• khaibitkhaibit Member Posts: 16
    The key word here being, of course, "another". You see, it has happened before and CCP has admitted t20's screw up (and done nothing to him), is it so difficult to believe that it would happen again?
  • BirathenBirathen Member Posts: 48
    Is this the line to pick up your CCP MSN contact? I got two accounts, does that meen I get a third contact for free, like a buy 2 get 3 kinda deal?

We pay the same fee as Dianabolic and the rest, yet, it seems more and more unlikely that we are getting the same product. Where is my lil red bathphone to the CCP cave?! I got bugged GSC cans and cant be arsed to wait two weeks for a petition to go through. BoB propaganda machine is out full spin, Kieron has put on his raincoat, so Im guessing the safest thing to do right now is to take cover, unless you too want to get swept away in the flood of white cover paint that is CCP internal affairs. Player characters and accounts have been known to dissapear befor due to discussing CCP's shady dealings.
  • PnHobbitPnHobbit Member CommonPosts: 195
    You are in the wrong forum, this isn't Vanguard's forum. EVE isn't a buggy and unfinished mess. Like I said, when you see the game succeeding years from now that'll be my proof. People who think they'll ruin the game by leaving because it NEEDs them, they are just silly. EVE is as busy as ever even after the allegations.
  • ArcticblueArcticblue Member Posts: 270
    However EVE do need it's playerbase... right now EVE is the same as Cheaters game, I know from people I have spoken with that they now seriously consider quitting the game.

These where people who stayed at the first one earlier this year thinking ... well it does not affect me, well it still does not affect them but now they see the truth that CCP almost managed to whitewash earlier this year.

EVE have been blessed with a very faithful fanbase, this fanbase is breaking up as far as I can see.. that means EVE will end up with alot of younger playerbase, bigg alliances need their older playerbase, or players that stick to the game for longer than 3 months (average playtime for MMORPG players).
  • winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

You are in the wrong forum, this isn't Vanguard's forum. EVE isn't a buggy and unfinished mess. Like I said, when you see the game succeeding years from now that'll be my proof. People who think they'll ruin the game by leaving because it NEEDs them, they are just silly. EVE is as busy as ever even after the allegations.

Ok let me get this straight EVE doesn't need players to continue? Because that of course is exactly what your saying. Ok let me read between the lines your saying EVE can survive on the BoB and some other players that will put up with  continued events like the T20 one and everyone else with even a doubt should get the hell out? It doesn't need more players to grow and according to you can afford to lose alot. I assume this would of course effect the Devs  pay (if only in raises) and the likelyhood / speed of future expansions or any of the positive things from having a bigger player base. 

Humm somehow doesn't sound like a sound plan to me. As I stated sounds just like what the VG boys said "We don't need you players the game will do just fine" Though I agree with you for different reasons.  No sweat off my brow I have 2 accounts and all of a month invested. I can drop the game and move on to any number of games, I like EVE but I don't NEEDs EVE . So yes we'll see what happens and how old Eve will be doing in 5 years. Will it be around? I'd say yes just like Horizons, Shadowbane, and of course VG itself.

• JADEDRAG0NJADEDRAG0N Member Posts: 733
    Originally posted by winter

Wow you sound just like the VG fanbois. You know the ones, "what you played WoW? get out of our game we don't want you here!" or "what your computer only meets the suggested requirements and your having problems? get out of here VG doesn't need you!"

Strangely enough VG has now a bare bones player base and had to be sold as it couldn't support itself. Guess what genus tell all the players that are tired of GM/Dev favoritizm and out right cheating (T20) to leave the game. Go ahead say anyone at all that questions anything must be a goon, and the game won't be doing as well. There won't be as much money to pay the devs, to work on new expansions etc. With many new Sci-Fi games coming out Eve is no longer the only choice and sure enough keep up your elitist arrogance and it won't be much of any choice.

Strange how many people complain of not enough players in Eve to begin with that players would actually try and drive people away form playing or even trying the game

Yea but how many of them are Space based games like EvE?

As far as i know only infinity comes close.

• KalengarKalengar Member Posts: 30

I quit EVE a long time ago after BoB always seemed to have the luck of getting past POS shields and stealing equipment.  This was ofcourse due to their large network of spies.. which as i suspected then and now realize as fact were dev's and gm's working on their behalf.

It's long been thought by their enemies that BoB had dev's (even if the leaders of alliances didn't want to admit it) in it and that they did in fact directly benefit from it.  I'm happy that all those suspicions have finally been corroborated through the evidence at hand.  People should only get lucky once in a blue moon - not repeatedly throughout every campaign.  It doesn't take a genious to read between the lines.. all you have to do is take off those rose colored glasses.

EVE has been ruined.  CCP's good name has been soiled.  It's a shame that this happened.  A real shame. 

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449
    Originally posted by Ciredric

people making posts like the ones quoted, deserve to have devs/staff like eve-online currently has; most of the rest of us, do not.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

Originally posted by Recant

Oh noes its another conspiracy!  You'd better quit now... quickly, all of you must transfer all your ISK to me.  No time to ask questions, theyre watching us.

con·spir·a·cy      /k?n?sp?r?si/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kuhn-spir-uh-see] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun, plural -cies.
    1. the act of conspiring.
    2. an evil, unlawful, treacherous, or surreptitious plan formulated in secret by two or more persons; plot.
    3. a combination of persons for a secret, unlawful, or evil purpose: He joined the conspiracy to overthrow the government.
    4. Law. an agreement by two or more persons to commit a crime, fraud, or other wrongful act.
    5. any concurrence in action; combination in bringing about a given result.

you act like the word conspiracy is an inaccurate term when applied to multiple persons in the employ of ccp repeatedly cheating, and being caught cheating, and this being exposed more and more.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

Originally posted by winter

Ok let me get this straight EVE doesn't need players to continue? Because that of course is exactly what your saying. Ok let me read between the lines your saying EVE can survive on the BoB and some other players that will put up with  continued events like the T20 one and everyone else with even a doubt should get the hell out? It doesn't need more players to grow and according to you can afford to lose alot. I assume this would of course effect the Devs  pay (if only in raises) and the likelyhood / speed of future expansions or any of the positive things from having a bigger player base. 

Humm somehow doesn't sound like a sound plan to me. As I stated sounds just like what the VG boys said "We don't need you players the game will do just fine" Though I agree with you for different reasons.  No sweat off my brow I have 2 accounts and all of a month invested. I can drop the game and move on to any number of games, I like EVE but I don't NEEDs EVE . So yes we'll see what happens and how old Eve will be doing in 5 years. Will it be around? I'd say yes just like Horizons, Shadowbane, and of course VG itself.

hope they're making lots of cash off of the asian market, for their sakes.

honestly, if these guys are in charge of running any white wolf mmo; i know a bunch of folks that won't even bother to give it a chance.