Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shadowbane a complete work or just a slap together piece a crap?

Matrim_CauthonMatrim_Cauthon Member Posts: 20

When Shadowbane first came out there was so many bugs and so much exploiting it wasn't even fun.   I mean your accounts weren't even secure.  I want to know now if they still have this problem or if they have actually figured out to make a secure mmorpg that is actually worth the money.

Comments

• LILLIPPA328LILLIPPA328 Member Posts: 331

Well,i dont play,but from what everyone is saying,it sounds alot better.They have released multiple patches since,and i heard the bugs are fixd.Im pretty sure the lag is fixed too now.

**Like to talk about Video Games?Go to Veiwers Pick Forums...

http://viewerspick.proboards35.com/index.cgi?

• HirzikHirzik Member Posts: 57

When Shadowbane first came out there was so many bugs and so much exploiting it wasn't even fun. I mean your accounts weren't even secure. I want to know now if they still have this problem or if they have actually figured out to make a secure mmorpg that is actually worth the money.

Currently ShadowBane has gone a long way as far as lag, security, and exploits. However, there are still some major issues, like Line-of-Sight (if you're in a small structure you won't be able to hit mobs with weapons... at least at one Lizardman camp near the guild I belong to's city while at some other camps mobs won't be able to hit you and many use this to power level their friends, guildmates, and alts via multiple accounts).

As for the servers, it was 10. Now it is down to 5. The 5 servers use 3 mapsets: Aerynth, Dalgoth, & Vorrengia. Aerynth being the original mapset closest to what was around during their beta. Dalgoth is mainly swamplands, plains, and woodlands with 2 deserts separated from the mainland, however not nearly as far away as the starting isle (there is no city of Khar). Vorrengia is 50% arctic zones and 40% grasslands 5% Maelstrom (the island that is currently unlocked on all servers via the expansion which was released approximately 2 months ago) and the other 5% covers all other landscapes known to be found within ShadowBane (there is no city of Khar).

The servers are currently titled Corruption, Damnation, Entropy, Mourning, & Vengeance. Corruption had the lowest experience and gold originally (not sure if this was cleared up as I left that server back around January), this is also the only server that had a lore specific lore structure. Damnation is the European server (ShadowBane finally allowed Europe a chance 2 months ago when they released their expansion titled, "The Rise of Chaos"), this server focuses more on guild politics/sturcutre and development than the other servers. Entropy is a normal server on the Vorrengia mapset. Mourning is the only server that is currently on the original mapset (or at least closest to the original as you get), it has relatively normal standards for gold, experience, and leveling. Vengeance (the server I play on ::::17::) is based on the Dalgoth mapset, has normal experience and normal gold, it is where a majority of the PvP guilds migrated when their servers were erased.

Currently there are 10 races: Aelfborn, Aracroix, Centaur, Dwarf, Elf, Half-Giant, Human, Irekei, Minotaur, & Nephilim. Nephilim are only available with the expansion pack, "The Rise of Chaos".

There are 20 professions within ShadowBane: Assassin, Barbarian, Bard, Channeler, Confessor, Crusader, Doomsayer (only with the expansion), Druid, Fury, Huntress, Prelate, Priest, Ranger, Scout, Sentinel (only with the expansion), Templar, Thief, Warlock, Warrior, and Wizard.

Within the past 3 months they've released 3 epic mobs: Draug-Torvold (level 80), Vranaxxas (level 90), and Mordoch (level 90).

With the release of the expansion they also raised the soft cap on leveling to 75 (it originally was 70). Currently the highest level toons that are known are level 78, however levels 76+ have virtually no rewards.

Mobs now have the ability to recall (yup... they'll chase you for a screen or two then recall since you're not hitting back). All discipline rune droppers have been set to a 6 hour respawn at set locations within the world. The number of discipline rune droppers has been increase a lot since beta, generally there are 2 (on certain runes 3) droppers throughout each mapset.

There are currently 1000s of guilds within the game. A few (somewhere between 20 and 30) super guilds (600+ members on any one specific server). Each server can hold exactly 2000 people.

ShadowBane has weather effects.

ShadowBane also has a lot less memory leaks like the one associated with their sound files (it still occasionally happens but not nearly as much as it used to).

ShadowBane has made better textures for many of the various items within the different servers. Server migrations thus far only occur when a server is being taken down permanently.

Currently lag has been reduced to a minimal versus what it used to be... however areas with a lot happening still tend to cause long lengths of lag (that long length thus far extending to a maximum of 5 minutes.... it's only happened to me once). Generally if a server lags for more than 5 minutes they close it down to reset it.

Probably the #1 main issue everyone still has against UbiSoft/Wolf Pack Studios is that they continue to add graphical modifications, spell/power modifications, and very minimal at best server modifications. Currently there are a few bugs from beta that are ingame even though the game is more than a year old. Just recently they finally fixed an exploit that allowed one to have a temporary invulnerability while moving (namely people can't hit you) by simply hitting page up directly after clicking somewhere to move... this has been corrected however it was only corrected within the last patch (not including todays patch as I was playing Guild Wars and haven't yet had time to check what the new patch, today, did to gameplay).

Aside from that thieves are still buggy, templars now have a one-handed sword based on their spell focus-line, staffs are now purely dexterity-based weapons, swords are now purely strength-based weapons, many classes/races have gotten new boosts to the level of their weapon powers.

Because it became an issue, there is now a maximum movement speed cap(1.52... which translates basically into even though humans equal 1.39 it would be 1.00 for there formula on speed) and a maximum defense cap (2400). Currently there is not a maximum Health Points, Stamina, or Mana cap., because of this there are many Dwarves with 6000+ Health Points.

As of either today's patch or patch 3.0 (which should be out within a month) Aracroix (bird-wo/men) will finally be able to wear head-gear again. Nephilim (winged humanoid-demons) will not be granted any new head gear as currently they can only wear 1 hood. Minotaurs are currently granted 1 piece of head gear it is known as a "Ceremonial Headdress," it really makes a minotaur look odd (I think that's the nicest way I can even think to describe it without using any bad words).

Centaurs can no longer get footwear with the "of the Windlords" suffix on them (windlords adds +15% to movement speed,), however Centaurs are still the fastest runners.

ShadowBane recently held a Treasure Hunt it was the first I've seen in at least 7 months.

The Customer Service Representatives respond a lot quicker than they did in the past. However, this is mainly due to them constantly catching people exploiting.

Any further information you might need on ShadowBane can be found at either The ShadowBane Chronicle or The Great Library (fansite).

I hope this has useful.

• LrdHadesLrdHades Member UncommonPosts: 164

SB is also undergoing a complete user interface rewrite. Doing this should help client side performance, and it will allow the devs to make many things much more customizable in the future.

Travel Improvements are on the way.

Seems to be new powers and class balance things coming out all the time that keep things spiced up.

You'll be able to evacuate vendors from shops soon.

Tons more.

I would advise you to keep up with the In Development page over at Shadowbane's website. At the bottom of the In Development page is also a link to all previous SB patch notes.

Guildmaster
    Lords of the Dead, LotD

Supreme Leader Hades
    The Imperial Aces
    Discord: https://discord.gg/CjBP4dc

• LrdHadesLrdHades Member UncommonPosts: 164

Hizrik,

Can you PM the lead Advocate Waylandor over on the SB forums? He wanted to contact you about your excellent post here.

Guildmaster
    Lords of the Dead, LotD

Supreme Leader Hades
    The Imperial Aces
    Discord: https://discord.gg/CjBP4dc

I have sent a message to Waylandor.  Thanks for letting me know he was interested in it. This has certainly been an interesting few days of posting.

N/A

• Matrim_CauthonMatrim_Cauthon Member Posts: 20
    Thanks for all the feed back guys.  I appreciate the info.

• riexauriexau Member Posts: 1

The thing about Shadowbane is it's an absolutely fantastic game in concept, but it was very poorly executed.

Siege warfare, unrestricted pvp, amazing character customization and player cities that is offset by poor server performance, tons of bugs, poor graphics and a non-existant ccr team.

If the game had been developped by, say, Blizzard, it would be the #1 pvp game on the market bar none.

• Stravus-EBStravus-EB Member Posts: 79
    Actually Shadowbane is a completely different experience than it wa a year ago. The servers are doing much better. The open pvp adds excitment and fun.

Originally posted by riexau

The thing about Shadowbane is it's an absolutely fantastic game in concept, but it was very poorly executed.
    Siege warfare, unrestricted pvp, amazing character customization and player cities that is offset by poor server performance, tons of bugs, poor graphics and a non-existant ccr team.
    If the game had been developped by, say, Blizzard, it would be the #1 pvp game on the market bar none.

Thus far siege warfare has taken on many aspects that weren't originally there such as the Artillerist rune which allows you to buff trebs, you have siege spires for debuffing people in all sorts of ways (including anti-fly, anti-teleport, anti-summon, anti-cloak, etc...), siege weapons have been rebalanced, and it's now more common for warriors and barbs to have over 500 stamina unbuffed so you can actually do something as a single player to that bane stone or ToL however your progress is still slow enough that you need a lot with you to take a city/town within a reasonable amount of time (basically it got balanced).

Unrestricted PvP... it's one of the better features of the game, especially since there really aren't any other 3Ds MMORPGs that grant open PvP, would you rather we make this more like Ragnarok or Final Fantasy XI?  I know many that would gladly disagree with that train of thought for just cause.

Server performance I've played a few other games and for the graphics they're using it has great stability.  And before you judge the graphics play the game on it's optimal settings (not those low rez one's that make the character skins look like they're from the original Quake), it makes a world of a difference.

As for the bugs they are not nearly what they were during beta.  I know that sounds like there may still be a lot since it's relative term however the bugs are down to a minimul if you think about the fact that it has to build new content while working on current problems within the game.  They have fixed many problems and made them as obsolete as possible without restricting their and your abilities within the world.

As mentioned slightly above this part of the statement, there are great graphics if you're willing to play the game at optimal settings (just as in most any game on the way to it's prime, it'll have great graphics until it's dying and on it's way to the trash bin).

The CCRs do exist.  I've petitioned the CCRs about exploiters in the past and they've been caught for their actions.  Even Jackal of The OPP recently got caught by the CCRs for something from the past (he had too many training points due to an error that involved Dread it was from those early early days of Dread).

Yes, I agree that Blizzard does design fantastic games, however, this game wouldn't be what it is if they were in charge.  Frankly UbiSoft has done a fantastic job on this... I say UbiSoft because they bought out WolfPack.

::::20::

• ramadinramadin Member Posts: 1,304

LOL I laugh my ass off everytime I read the subject of this thread.

Laying in bed, looking up at the stars, a single thought passed through my head. Where the fuck is my roof?

-----------------Censored------------------